Skip to main content

Congratulations to everyone! It has been a great week for baseball!

It has also been a red letter week for 2B. First preseason game last night. Where is 2B hitting?...what?...cleanup? First at bat, two on, one out. Low pitch, fly ball, oh, well, turn off the camera like an idiot.. Mad ..and the ball just kept going! Three run homer! Now, that's the way to start a season. Second at bat was a line single to center that scored 2. The next two at bats, they walked him. Big Grin

Next game is Saturday. Good luck to everyone this season!
quote:
Originally posted by 2Bmom:

It has also been a red letter week for 2B. First preseason game last night. Where is 2B hitting?...what?...cleanup? First at bat, two on, one out. Low pitch, fly ball, oh, well, turn off the camera like an idiot.. Mad ..and the ball just kept going! Three run homer! Now, that's the way to start a season. Second at bat was a line single to center that scored 2. The next two at bats, they walked him. Big Grin

No problem...With all your screaming the shot would have been all blury anyway... Smile
I have enjoyed every post in this thread!

My son loved high school baseball and so did I. I remember the joy when he told me he had made the freshman team, then the JV team the following year, and then varsity following that as many people are reporting in this thread. I remember the tears after the last game. It is the best of times. Focus on the here and now because you can never go back other than your memories like I am doing now. Your kids will have years ahead to figure out what things are like in college. Savor that three run homer for 2BMom. It is magic and I am guessing her feet have yet to hit the ground Smile
quote:
Originally posted by Coach Waltrip:
quote:
Originally posted by futurecoachjosh:

Now coach steve, who ever you are, you need to pay for your other son's (if you have one) college so that he become a MLB manager or General Manager

You're so right FCJ...thats why you need to get the highest grades possible so you can get into the best sports management program in the country...

I can see that front office job now...but only with good grades...including your German class. If you think German is hard what do you think dealing with a prima donna athlete is like?

Sam is working hard on the field, but your field of play is the classroom...you're doing great so far keep the streak going!

Well, SIR, I don't know how your son can get a scholarship with him not being in sports and also not having straight A's and also the state he is in only has one college with sports management and it cost 12,000+ a year so he is going to have to move to chino, california to attend Cal State Chino
"...and also the state he is in only has one college with sports management...."

FYI - while somewhat off topic, this is list of colleges with Sports Management many in California and throughout the United States:

http://www.nassm.com/InfoAbout...ograms/United_States

I personally know a family whose son kept stats for his college football team, first as an hourly job that eventually worked into a scholarship!
quote:
Originally posted by 2Bmom:

Wow, straight A's on your son's report card, and a 3 run dinger this week...you must be proud 2Bmom!
Our season has been less than impressive so far. Tryouts were Feb. 1-5. Practice last week. Team has yet been able to take ground balls on the infield. Too wet. Then we get 3 inches of snow Friday which cancels practice. Practice scheduled for Monday, but more snow forcasted for Sunday night and Monday morning. This is really frustrating. We're supposed to have our first scrimmage game Friday and a big meet the team event on Saturday. Supposed to get rain again on Friday night and Saturday. I really miss the drought here in Georgia.

Good news is, son made varsity. One of two sophmores. Should be starting pitcher again this year and should have an opportunity for some field time and some at bats. We'll see how it goes -if the team ever gets any field time.
quote:
Good news is, son made varsity. One of two sophmores.

Congrats bballman! Good to see good news despite all the dismal weather! I hope your boy get's some reps in and see's success on the field. If you've seen the long range local weather, we will get even more snow the following week when games are scheduled to begin.

I'm with you, enough precipitation already!!
Last edited by Prime9
Two weeks before tryouts start. My son is a returning starter. But snow is not good for getting the team ready for a 3/16 opening day.

4-6 inches due Tuesday. Snowfall accumlation this winter, > 70 inches so far .... average annual accumulation, 19 inches
Last edited by RJM
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Dorminy:
I was on another site earlier and it was suggested that parents should not be allowed at any practice because it puts pressure on the kids and caused second hand coaching . My belief is that any kid who gets nervous or feels pressure at this level at practice should try something new . I also believe that those parents have serious issues . What do you think ? I only attend intersquad and 1 or 2 practices and let the coaches do their job but I believe parents should be allowed to attend if they so desire .
To me it's not about being nervous. I'd feel like I was invading his turf (felt the same way when daughter played softball) if I showed up at practice. Before my kids drove if I arrived to pick them up before practiced ended I would watch through the trees from the parking lot.
quote:
Originally posted by JMoff:
Prime9, I always ask, "How would I score it if my kid hit it" and "How would I score it if my kid was pitching" and "How would I score it if my kid didn't field it". You will converge on the right answer.

I just don't like parents begging for hits... I'm going to pretend like I do it for fun...
I kept score last year. It wasn't fun. I was approached right after plays. I had parents get ticked off at me. I was called an idiot by parents who don't know the rules. As you can imagine I told some of them to take a hike. I received emails when parents disagreed. No way, no how am I scoring again this year.

The coach has a female manager keeping score this year. It should be interesting. It's the same girl he took the job away from two years ago. She was scoring two base throwing errors, doubles. Now parents are begging me to keep score. I won't do it after last year's experience.

Parents don't care how you would score it if it was your kid. They only care how you will score it to benefit their kid.
Last edited by RJM
quote:
I am nervous about his pitching to the older boys. He has always been very good against his own age.
When my son was a freshman the first hitter he faced in a scrimmage was the senior captain, college prospect. On the first pitch the captain took him deep, but foul. My son knocked him on his tail on the second pitch and stood on the mound smiling at him. Two pitches later he took him out with a change in the dirt.

When my son told me about it that night I asked if there was payback for the brushback. He had to carry the heaviest equipment bag. He said he carried it like a trophy. He was cut to JV in the final cut. But he got on the radar screen.
Last edited by RJM
This has been one crazy winter so far...guess Punxsutawney Phil was right about winter lasting 6 more weeks...sometimes I really hate that fat little Woodchuck! That also goes for General Beauregard down in Georgia...

That also goes for Wee Willie and Gary the Groundhog up in Ontario, Brandon Bob in Manitoba, Balzac Billy in Alberta and Shubenacadie Sam in Nova Scotia.

Well, here in Mesa, Arizona we have ants to let us know whether winter is going to continue...yesterday it was 78 and sunny and I haven't seen the critters yet. That must mean it's still winter here...
Last edited by Coach Waltrip
Over the weekend had a pre-season tournament in St. George UT. Weather was sunny, low 60's, just beautiful.

Those that have been coming to pre-season workouts were divided into two teams. High school coach not allowed to participate due to state rules so others coached. Son was ok at plate, 3-9 including a triple. The surprise was he pitched which was totally unexpected. He has rarely been used as a pitcher. They have been having him throw in pre-season workouts just because of his build. 6'3 1/2", 165 lbs (no exagerating here Wink) He started the first game and went 3 innings, 1 hit, 1 run but a bit wild with 4 walks. He started game 4 and went 4 innings with 1 hit, 7 strikeouts, no walks and no runs against a team that ended up averaging 11 runs in the tournament.

High school coach was there to watch that game and said he would have to look at getting him into the rotation. For a kid who has caught about 75% of the time with a little at first base it was a pleasant surprise.
Hey CD!
Didn't see any other Ohio posts, but could have missed one in the 6 pages....

OH starts "Pitchers/Catchers" next Monday, Feb 22 with position tryouts "officially" starting 2 weeks later.

Have a Freshman and a Senior this year, so I get both ends of the emotion and excitement. Hope they win that "last game" again this year!

Coach actually gave the upperclassman T-shirts with a target on the back....Love it!
I feel bad for all of you in Northern states right now; the only saving grace is that you will be playing BB when we are all done…at least for HS teams. First official day was Monday. We had our pre-season kick off tournament this past week-end and we had two days of unbelievable weather, 75 deg, no wind, perfect two days of baseball. We played two games this week-end with no errors, very tight baseball for so early in the season. They changed the coach contact rules in SoCal and the coaches have been with the team all fall and winter and it appears to be working.

The number of games is all convoluted in SoCal. You are allowed 20 official “games” and one scrimmage. However double headers are considered one game and a tournament is one game. Most of the competitive SoCal HS teams play 28-29 games plus 2 scrimmages, plus an Alumni game. (playoffs are additional) We were playing Winter games with the HS team together the past two months which do not count since they are before the official season. All of the team rosters are more or less set except for a couple of Soph’s they might bring up to fill in on the Varsity squad. Jr. is looking forward to a big year in his important recruiting year.
Well our first game is in the book tonight, not only was the temp cold our team got off to a bad start in the field (temp at game time 46 when finished 34) Its tough to have a young team but to lose the game the way we did really hurts lost 11-9 with 8 errors. But hey thats baseball and they get to play again and do better, such a young team hopefully they will get better as the season rolls on and make people in the district unhappy. So thats how the first initial night went for us cold cold and cold lol. Good luck everyone.
quote:
But hey thats baseball and they get to play again and do better, such a young team hopefully they will get better as the season rolls on

Indeed it is - things will turn around for your young team.

Our first game is in the books, too. What an ugly game. We won, 30-0. It was painful. But everyone played, the pitchers looked great, and 2B went 2 for 2 with 2 doubles and 3 walks. JV also won 14-3. We have a double header against pretty stiff competition on Saturday.
I've been a browser for about a year now, but I couldn't resist joining to make a post on this thread. My son is a freshman at a division 1 hs in Riverside county CA. During 6th period baseball he made enough of an impression on the varsity coach to get an invite to play fall ball with varsity. In the first inning of the third game my son came up with bases loaded and two outs and hit a 385 foot bomb over the left field wall! What a thrill for him and us! He finished that game 3 for 3 with a single, double, grand slam and 5 rbi's. Not a bad start for the freshman. We just finished our 12th and final fall ball game with the freshman leading the team with 12 rbi's! He has also secured the starting left fielder's spot and the number 5 spot in the lineup. All those thousands of swings over the past few years have finally payed off. We're all so excited about the next four years!
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Dorminy:
We had our first game Tuesday night , game time temp was 40 , Thomas III threw 5 innings of no hit baseball , hit a 3 run homer and left leading 3-1 . Relief was a little wild , ended up losing 4-3 . Oh well , got another one on Friday . Gotta love the game .

Hey hey, the Pitching, in his case, is way ahead of the hitting, except in his case! Did that make sense? 40 in Tampa, in February? Was 20 degrees warmer than that over Xmas!

Congrats, must have been fun to watch and how many brews after that one?
Last edited by Prime9
quote:
First scrimmage today

We don't play our first scrimmage until Feb 25th...I can't wait to get out to the field. How do you guys in the Great White North stand not being able to even start practice until next month....

Our CF and Catcher were both named today to the southern AZ region first team in.....s0ccer.... Razz

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.