Skip to main content

34 made JV. He is very happy and getting used to practice 6 times per week. Safe to say, he is pretty tired at the end of the day.

Coaches sat down with the players after final cuts and explained their roles. 34 will be the starting catcher. Overall, freshman seemed to have done well at tryouts, with the starting lineup likely to have 5 freshman on opening day.

First game is 3/22. Scrimmages start next week.
Last edited by 24&34Dad
UGH! Nothing but rain here. Played Monday and Tuesday and won both, that is good. Wednesday rained out. Practices on Wed, Thurs, Fri all indoors due to rain. Supposed to rain tomorrow as well. Hope it all gets dried out for games on Tuesday and Wednesday next week. Wednesday is supposed to be our first region game.

Good news is we are not supposed to get rain next week at all. Let's hope that holds true. I'm tired of the wet stuff here.
quote:
Originally posted by 24&34Dad:
34 made JV. He is very happy and getting used to practice 6 times per week. Safe to say, he is pretty tired at the end of the day.

Coaches sat down with the players after final cuts and explained their roles. 34 will be the starting catcher. Overall, freshman seemed to have done well at tryouts, with the starting lineup likely to have 5 freshman on opening day.

First game is 3/22. Scrimmages start next week.

Much the same at my son's school, at least 5 freshman are starting on the JV team. While sophomores were cut or offered positions on the "C" team.

Gotta love baseball in WA, today was the baseball jamboree but it was rained out. The long term weather forecast indicates lots of precipitation. Frown
Varsity tournament in "warmer climes" of St. George. Son's team went 2-1, with the last game being snowed out. (So much for warmer Roll Eyes)

Team played well for this being the Varsity's first games of the season. Son pitched the 3rd game: going 5 innings, giving up 2 runs on 3 hits with 2 Ks in a 12-3 win. Defense was outstanding behind him. Left-fielder made multiple catches. Middle-infielders turned at least 2 DPs. And the offense was incredible. 3 hitters with doubles, 1 with a triple, and our SS crushed a homer. The team made it very easy to be a "pitcher's parent" Big Grin.
Doughnutman,

I'm glad he is getting his opportunities. He will a varsity stud sooner than later!

RR23Jr doing ok so far. All the wait from his freshman year and all hard work from Fall/Winter/pre-season starting to pay off.

The team is starting to jell and camaraderie is strong. Team may have a chance to do something special this season if we continue to get focused.

RR23
Smile
Last edited by Ryanrod23
quote:

Sat the bench the entire game in a blowout. Back to JV. Is HS ball always like this?

If your jv and v travel together and wear the same uniforms, it's common.

Be happy the freshman is playing varsity. This doesn't register for me when freshman parents can't understand this. There are older players in a program paying their dues who for whatever reason may not be getting their shot yet.
Last edited by zombywoof
RR23Jr is doing very well. And I hope your team can go all the way. It is an awesome feeling of joy for the kids when they win that Championship.And it feels the same the second time too. But I know if there is a 3 peat not only will there be joy but, elation and to have done something that is rarely done. It would be great for Jr. to have that on his resume 3 State Championship rings. Even to get to the title game a third time would be awesome! Good luck RR23! I follow you guys and it looks real good for your team!! I'm rooting for you and Jr.
LTSon is a soph who pitched for JV as a freshman last year and did well. He was disappointed this year when teams were announced and he was named to the JV squad again. I told him just to go out and do his job and everything would work out fine. After 4 starts, 4 wins, 22 innings,0 er, 34Ks, 4bb,he got a call from the Varsity coach yesteday and was told to pick up his Varsity gear today. Now I am a genius! Very proud to see him step it up and earn the opportunity. Don't know if he will stay up or not, but irregardless, I am really looking forward to see him take the mound for his first Varsity start! (It sure is nice to be able to brag a little anonymously! Smile)
This is to all the parents of underclassmen who are so anxious for jr. to play varsity. Son is a sr now but has played varsity 4 years. Freshman year was used mainly as a closer. Next year son earned starting catcher position over a senior. Named Offensive POY at season end. Junior year only pitched when absolutely necessary. Named MVP as well as several post season accolades. Now beginning senior season he has already signed with school of choice to continue bb.
The best advice I can give to parents of younger players is to encourage the son, be the most loyal fan to the entire team, keep your opinions to yourself, and just wait. Wait to see if he really has what it takes to play varsity ball, wait to let the HC get to know player and see if he can make a contribution to varsity, and wait to let other parents start the talk of your son needing to be moved to varsity. In other words, practice humility because we will all be humbled sooner or later.
In reality, most of our sons have already played more bb than they will play in the future and so . . . slow down and enjoy it because it(baseball) will be over before we know it!
Last edited by carol
It was another good night for the Blue Wave. 2B only went 1 for 4, but the 1 was a double to right center in the top of the 7th to break the 2-2 tie with the game winning RBI. The boys are now 9-1, and undefeated in the district.

It's rainy today, but should clear up for games tomorrow and Friday. Three games - what a great week!
Last edited by 2Bmom
quote:
Originally posted by Diamondthebest:
Do you ever experience this kind of theory that someone is a "natural born winner"?

No way. My son's Ripken, Babe Ruth, Travel and legion teams were very successful. His CR team was one win from reaching states their BR team also made district finals and their travel team had some success winning a league championship and playing to at least .500 records and in their worst seasons were a handful games under .500 but were competitive for the most part. His Legion teams made the playoffs the years he played. That success didn't translate on the HS varsity team. I really don't count JV too much because they were treated like a taxi squad for the varsity team in that the top JV players were pulled at any time during a game to go over to the varsity field so other than the JV tournament, wins and losses weren't much of a barometer since they did play better than .500 ball when he played JV. Sure, his varsity team was different than the teams he played on before HS but every HS player came from the same local league.

It comes down to the HS coach knowing his players and what they can or can't do. Mainly in the pitching department.

No matter how good one player is, he can only do so much to contribute to a win or a loss.
Last edited by zombywoof
LTSon got the call for his first varsity start last night. It was on short rest and in a steady rain. Not exactly how I envisioned it would be! He has a lot of buddies on the Varsity. They were really happy for him when he was called up and told him he would do fine and that they would step it up for him. Well, they proceeded to put 8 runs up in the top of the first. That allowed LTSon to relax and pitch his game. He ended up going 5 innings in a 6 inning run rule game and gave up only 1 earned. A huge part of the credit goes to his new team mates for taking the pressure off him early. Really nice to get that first win under the belt!
quote:
Originally posted by Diamondthebest:
Son's JV team is 4-0 so far in this new season, that seems never happened before. Son is batting .500 pitched 4 Inns as a closer and no earn runs. Plus Stole bunch of bases and got bunch RBIs. That makes me pretty happy.

Do you ever experience this kind of theory that someone is a "natural born winner"? It's like a lucky charm thing, start from the little league, no matter which team my son join, they will become a winner or a better team instantly. Baseball is not a one man team, even son is a good player, I don't think he can decide the out come of the game, but interestingly, if my son plays his best, his team always wins. That's just strange. That makes me think, if the varsity coach ever need a miracle comeback, he can just put my son anywhere in the line-up, and they will got a win 80% of the time. Can you believe this?

What we have here is one of the proudest dad's I have ever seen on this board!

We sure could use your son on my son's JV team since we are 2 and 3, with the 3 being real spankings...the 10 rule kind...

Good luck Dtb, enjoy the ride...and stay proud! But remember, this is baseball...
Last edited by Coach Waltrip
Leftysidearm Son has gone from sometimes reliever to the team's closer. In three games he's pitched against 12 batters, had 6 strikeouts, and only one hit and 1 walk(intentional to load the bases). So far they can't hit off him, just a bunch of ground ball outs, if they are able to make contact. This is his Senior year and it's all coming together for him. The coach is relying on him to get us out of jams in conference games and he's pulling through. The other night he gave him his first walk as they intentionally loaded the bases to force the out. That kind of trust in him only pumps him up even more.

You can see the magic in his eyes and I am so happy for him. Not because he's winning, but because he's finally, after all his hard work and perserverance seeing the rewards. This is going to be a great season!
My freshman son started the first district game Tuesday. Pitched 7 innings, 4 hits, 9 ks, 4bb, 2hbp and 1 earned run and went 3 for 4 at the plate. He did not get the win as it was tied but relief pitcher got the win in the 8th. All the parents were congradulating me on his performance I just told them it was "good parenting".
Prime Jr's team will conclude their "Spring Training" ten game schedule this week. Region play begins next week.

We "Play Up," out of Region and out of State, to prepare for what we always hope to be a successful Region and post season run. In previous threads I've seen questions about Scouts or Recruiters attending H.S. games. We had an unbelievable 15 MLB Scouts at last nights game. You almost had to elbow them aside to get a good view. Delino Deshields Jr. was on the opposing team we beat 8-1. He received a bunch of video, camera, and stop-watch attention. For the record, nice looking prospect but 0-4 on the night.

Prime Jr. has 4-bombs thus far and starting to "get comfortable." Hope we can finish as strong this year, from this point, as we did last year.

Enjoying this Senior year. Jr's College team next year ranked #5 and on a 22-2 roll. He can't wait and neither can I! Thanks to all for the insight gained here!!

Luck to all~!!
Went on the road yesterday to play the undefeated and #1 ranked team. They are no longer undefeated! We won 7-4...

Son got the call to pitch and since two of our pitchers are ineligible, another was catching and the only other one pitched Tuesday, he wasn't going to get much help.

He no-hit them for four but had a rough three run fifth and escaped in the sixth when they had a baserunning blunder. With one out and the bases loaded the batter headed for first on ball three. The runner at second also started for third so son was able to pick him off. He then walked the batter, but K'd the next one to end the inning without any runs scoring...

He says his arm was fine...but his legs were killing him...

Cool note: The game was broadcast on the internet and the first baseman's dad was watching in Japan (he's an airline pilot). How cool is it that you can now watch 1A HS baseball all over the globe.... Cool
Good news and bad from our front. Bad news is we are 0-2 in region play after a decent 4-3 in non-region play. Good news is bballson pitched for the first time in two weeks and did well. First pitcher went 1 2/3 innings giving up 5 runs to a top 5 AAAAA team. Bballson came in, went 4 1/3 with 7 K's, 1 single, 2 BB's and 1 run. On the year he has thrown 12 1/3, with 20 K's, 7 BB's, 3 ER. Pretty good for a Sophmore pitching varsity. Just wanted to brag a little.

Big Grin
Web's JV team is 3-1. They've played some tough teams from the SF Bay Area. First two games 4 hits, 2 doubles, 4 rbi. Played a DH (scheduled plus a rain make-up) last Saturday and went 1 for the day. Tough day at the plate but he caught 14 innings.

He's joy to watch behing the plate. He works hard and always hustles. Tremendous baseball IQ. He does a great job working with his pitchers. He's calling pitches this year. The team has confidence in him.

This team will be a NorCal powerhouse in 2011 and 2012.

Tomorrow - Wilson HS from Oregon. 75 degrees, can't wait.
Lodi14 jr.will be the starting catcher for varsity this season.I am so proud.He and I worked hard for a few years to get to this point.He told me that his goal for the upcoming season was to make 1st team all conference as a freshman.Cant complain about a goal like that! Now if we can only get outside to practice.Woke up this morning to see about 2 inches of snow on the ground.st scrimmage is a week from today and 1st game is a week from Tuesday.Oh well the rest of the teams up here are in the same boat.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.