Skip to main content

Wow, that is tough bballman. But the loss will make the next win that much sweeter.

Gameday, you're right. HS numbers really don't mean a whole lot. But every Tuesday in the paper, they put pitching and hitting stats for all area baseball and softball players. So everyone looks at them, and compares them, and talks about them. It's fun, but it does kinda throw a wrench into the works. Our one big guy, a D2 commit known fondly as Frank the Tank, is consistently first or second in offensive stats. If there are guys on base, he frequently gets a free pass to first. Fortunately for 2B, he hits right in front of the Tank, so they usually do pitch to him.
Last edited by 2Bmom
quote:
Our one big guy, a D2 commit known fondly as Frank the Tank, is consistently first or second in offensive stats. If there are guys on base, he frequently gets a free pass to first.

I doubt that opposing coaches are basing their decisions on Frank's stats....

Congratulations to 2B on a great season so far. I checked out 2B's school online...What a wonderful opportunity that presents! Great school, great team. I noticed your freshman team is mostly 6th graders...get'em early and teach them the system.

We won a sloppy game this week 12-10. Hawk19jr came in a pitch the last 2 1/3 innings and our catcher hit a HR to put us ahead...So we're 15-2 now and 7-0 in division play...Lots of road games left however and in our division that means a couple of 2+ hr bus trips....
Perhaps it is Frank's imposing physique! Big Grin I'd walk him, too.

Yes, it is a great school. The freshman team is so cute! And they are actually having a winning season. Seems like just yesterday when 2B was listed as 5-3 113. Smile I think we have one kid that is less that 100 pounds.

Congratulations on your win! Sloppy or not, a win is a win.
Last edited by 2Bmom
I have been reading this thread with interest since it began. I have read about how proud many of you are about your boys and how well they are doing this season. How they are going 4 for 5 with 2 jacks or who have been shutting the other team down with superior pitching. How they are playing for strong, successful and competitive programs. Very nice, very nice indeed...

However...

What is glaringly obvious is who we haven’t heard from...from the parents whose kids are battling to get playing time or who are wearing a nice little spot onto the bench and are very, very frustrated about it. About kids who are playing on programs where the coach is there to collect a paycheck and doesn't give a hoot how the program does. About how their kid has 20 AB's this season with only one hit or whose sons have been hammered from the mound because they are leaving their pitches up. No, the posts have all been about the successes...is that representative of what’s been going with every team and player?

The struggles, hardships and difficulties that accompany many teams and players are what I have not heard in this thread. No criticism here of anyone here because I would like to brag too about how well my son's team is doing and how well he has pitched, but I can't. And I know there has to be other parents who do not write of their son's failures/struggles because, well, it's hard. Particularly in light of the successes of some of your boys it is very difficult to write about my son’s failures...and I do not want to take one thing away from the successes of your boys because it is wonderful news, but it is not the whole story of the whole HSBBW community.

...but for every success there is a failure. Where are those postings?

I think it is okay to write about those failures folks. I want to encourage some of you to do this because there are so many great baseball people here who know what you are experiencing and how difficult it is to live through this. They could lend wonderful advice to make this struggle so much easier to withstand for you and your son. Not because they have enjoyed it, but because they have learned to cope with it and to help their sons or players to develop tools to deal with the struggles...and become better ball players and human beings...

Please, let’s hear from you folks whose son’s are having a tough year and maybe together, with the help of this wonderful HSBBW community we can learn how to get through it a little easier than it would be to do it alone...
Coach Waltrip,

I think I may have touched on trials/failures/success in several of my posts esp the one regarding being on varsity as freshman, some pitching difficulties with short arm action and I definitely got some good feedback from everyone.

I will start, RR23Jr got into varsity as a RHP.. did ok his freshman year mainly in relief and had 2 starts but somehow something changed in his delivery during Summer and Fall wherein he was starting to have a short arm action which contributed to decrease velocity and less success. Saw one of the post (Actually from Coach Waltrip himself about using the TOWEL) and we used that to change the delivery. Guess what, he is not pitching this season as a sophomore and I won't complain since he is the starting 3b for his team and has been doing good so far. Somehow, if you really love this game and work hard on other aspects you will find a way.

He still loves to pitch but he knows he will just have to wait since his role this year is to guard that hot corner and his Upperclassman teammates are getting the job done. He still working on the arm action and that towel that coach Waltrip suggested
has helped him a lot throwing from 3b and hopefully pitch some innings in the summer.

I see it this way..The break from pitching maybe a blessing in whole scheme of things. Realistically, I see him as an INF or maybe a corner OF but I cannot just ignore his love for pitching. This maybe his breakout season.

Got a pleasant Easter surprise yesterday that he was honored by PG as Honorable Mention Pre-season Underclassman All American as 3b.. Guess what he said " I haven't done anything yet." He knows he still needs to work hard to advance in this game of life wherein failures can sometime outweigh success and you have to somehow try to tilt the balance the other way.

I encourage all parents to follow Coach Waltrip's suggestion so all of us can pitch in.

BTW, I am trying to get a bunch of parents watch an Angels game next week as our team is going to the NAtional Classic.Trying to get some group tickets but its a nightmare. Any other suggestions or anyone with connection to the Angels to get discounted suite or group seating?

RR23Smile
Last edited by Ryanrod23
It's about time.

With all these success stories, do any of these players have bad days?. Also, for all the good days these players have, there's somebody on the other side of these success stories.

Afterall, failure's a part of the game.

Failure also reveals or develops character. It's easy when things are going well, but how do they respond when they're not. or have been on the bench and had to fight for their spot every AB as opposed to knowing that everyday, they're in the lineup no matter what they do.

That's all part of high school baseball.

To get a perspective from the other side keeps it all real.
Last edited by zombywoof
quote:
Failure also reveals or develops character. It's easy when things are going well, but how do they respond when they're not. or have been on the bench and had to fight for their spot every AB as opposed to knowing that everyday, they're in the lineup no matter what they do.

I've been thinking about this all day, trying to figure out how to respond. My son is having a crazy-good season, and perhaps I have been a little too enthusiastic in reporting his accomplishments. But I thought it was safe in this thread to do so.

For the record, here is his schedule.
He gets up, he goes to school. He takes Honors Physics, Honors English, AP History, Trigonometry, Marine Science, and Interactive Design (a computer class). He either has a game, or he goes to practice, then goes to the gym. On non-game nights, he gets home about 9:00, eats dinner, and studies. On game nights, he gets home at 11:00, eats something, then studies.

He is making straight A's and hitting .489 with 5 regular season games left. He does not lack character, and he is in the lineup every day because he works his azz off and he performs.

So here is my last update for the season. The boys are all getting faux-hawks. Smile
I have a pretty frustrating update.

Son is a RHP. He also plays 1st. 2 games ago, he's at first when a foul is hit toward the right field fence. He chases it, the right fielder runs up but never says anything, and son runs full speed into the wall. He's reaching with his gloved hand for the ball and instinctively reaches for the unseen wall with his right hand. He slams into the wall buckling his right hand under him. Now he's out for at least 2 weeks. Wrist contusion on his pitching hand.

But, I'm sure it could have been worse.
I enjoy reading this thread and the stories within; I've liked hearing about 2B's success. I'm just too superstitious to post about my son's successes because for us, baseball has been such a roller coaster that doing so would probably call down the baseball gods in a bad way.

Last year he had some problems and I posted about them, asking for advice, and the reception I got -- most with the subtext of "he's probably not that good" -- would keep me from ever sharing a story of failure on this message board ever again. Maybe others feel the same way.
Yes 2Bmom, I have enjoyed your posts about your son's team and his successes...he is definitely having one great year and I believe you have every right to let us all know about it...that is absolutely fantastic!

I did not realize he has such a hard school schedule as well as having such a banner year. Congrats 2Bmom, you should be proud of him and I do not believe anyone is knocking that in any way shape or form.

The point in my thread is I know there has to be parents who want to share with us about their sons, but they may feel awkward because they are not on a winning team or are not top player and may struggling. Particularly, since an overwhelming amount of the posts that have been posted are about very successful sons like yours, but they may feel, for a lack of a better word, embarrassed. Yes, embarrassed, and maybe even a little intimidated and don’t know what to say or how to share it because they may not feel it is worthy.

What I’m saying is that there is the other half of parents out there whose sons are not having a banner year, but are just as worthy to share with our community about their son. They have every right to brag about their son’s struggles and ability to keep getting up and dusting themselves off one disappointment after another. After all, it is much harder to handle defeat than it is victory and the true test of character is through tribulation.

I would like the readers and participants of community to know they can share the good times as well as the bad because baseball life is full of difficulties and if someone has not experienced it yet, they will. If a young man plays this game long enough they will have failures...it is just the way it is...it is a significant part of this game.

Therefore, to bring a healthy balance to this thread I believe we should hear about the struggles as well as the successes...And of course, struggles and difficulties followed by success, even if it is a small success is worth a parent bragging about and sharing with our community for all of us to celebrate and congratulate.
quote:
Originally posted by LHPMom2012:

Last year he had some problems and I posted about them, asking for advice, and the reception I got -- most with the subtext of "he's probably not that good" -- would keep me from ever sharing a story of failure on this message board ever again. Maybe others feel the same way.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but I will say I have shared some of my sons problems as well and I had a different experience.
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanrod23:

Got a pleasant Easter surprise yesterday that he was honored by PG as Honorable Mention Pre-season Underclassman All American as 3b.. Guess what he said " I haven't done anything yet." He knows he still needs to work hard to advance in this game of life wherein failures can sometime outweigh success and you have to somehow try to tilt the balance the other way.

Right on Rod!!! That is excellent news!!!
I would normally be reluctant to post this, but I just completed a sureal 48 hours with SP_son, that might be of interest to parents of HS players, and possibly to players themselves.

SP_son is a 2011 who transferred into his school this year, coming in with some high expectations placed upon him by himself and others. His school is only a few years old, and does not have a very strong program. Coaches and players knew he has played at a pretty high level, and were looking for him to come out and be a real leader on the field.

SP_son had the ball in hand for the opener, and struggled some. Early season rust; it was clear he was pressing some; the pitch calling did not fit his game; his defense struggled behind him; and the offense was non-existant. But he was supposed to win ... and he really wanted to win for his new school. A very tough and frustraing loss.

Games 2 & 3 he was at 1B as the team went down in defeat in both. It is nothing more than a young and inexperienced team struggling. With each plate appearance it was clear he was trying to do too much, trying to do more than possible, to do something to get his club going. You know what this typically brings ... more frustrations.

Wed afternoon they played game 4, against a league rival. SP_son had come to grips with the fact that he was trying too hard, and that he just needed to relax, go out, and play his game.

He started the game at 1st, as a Sr leader had the ball for the rivalry. Down 4-0, he came from 1B to the mound in the 3rd with no bullpen to stop the bleeding. He proceeded to throw 7 shutout innings in relief, having to secure 4-5 outs per inning for much of the game.

In the top of the 10th, he headed back out to the mound with 7 innings & 87 pithces on his arm (in only his 2nd appearance of the season). Unfortunately, he gave up a run when a young infield could not handle some soft ground balls, and a pop-up was dropped in RF. At 102 pitches he rotated back to 1B (he had the hottest bat in the line-up). He died at 2nd in the bottom of the 10th ... and the team fell to 0-4.

He was physically and emotionally spent after the game. As we started a 5-hour drive on the 1st leg of a 2-day, 2-state college tour, he was not talking about his play (which was pretty good), he was just disappointed for his team and teammates. They were so close to a big win -- that they really needed -- and they came up short again. It hurt all the more that they had chances to win in the bottom of the 7th, 8th and 9th.

When he began to reflect on his effort, and glanced at the book from the game, he realized that he had just gone out and played ... and that as a result, he played pretty darn well. He had thrown 7 shutout innings in relief; gave his team a chance to get back in the game (which they did); hit the ball hard 5 times (going 2 for 5); and really earned his spot as a team leader ... leading by example.

This did not make up for the loss, but I could see a huge weight was lifted from his shoulders as he felt like he had finally come out and delivered on what was expected of him ... almost. There is still one piece of unfinished business ... leading his team to some wins.

Watching some very good mid-major D1 teams over the past couple of days he was able to look at things with a different perspective, a more balanced perspective. As we were driving home he commented that he knows he can play with those guys. He was able to see beyond his team's 0-4 record, and some early season personal struggles to realize that he has the potential to play high level college baseball.

After a grueling 48-hours, a 10-inning game, and a 650+ mile journey ... he came home exhausted, but ready to get busy chasing the dreams of helping his HS team win ball games, and chasing the dream of playing D1 baseball.

All in all, a pretty good 2 days.
2BMom,

I hope you reconsider your decision to to post in here again this season. I for one truly enjoy reading about 2B's sucesses this year. As you have said many times he is not some superstud player standing 6' 4" and weighing 210lbs throwing 90+ mph. But he is a ball player that is getting everything out of his body that he can and working his A$$ off and it is paying off with the sucess he has had. If we can't share the pluses in this thread then why have it? I don't think that coach waltrip wanted us to stop writing about our kids sucesses but when they do happen to go 0-4 or get rocked in 2 innings on the mound to share those experiences as well. So please keep us posted on 2B's season!

My son found out today that he is going to get 2 innings for Varsity on Tuesday in a scrimmage. He is the only freshman getting that opportunity. He is pumped yet a little scared as well as he just turned 15 and will be facing 17 - 19 yr old boys. I will be sure to post how he does...even if he gets crushed...lol. Hopefully it will be positive for him either way!!
Well, I'll keep it going, Wink. Varsity improved to 11-1 (2-0 Region) today with a 7-1 win. Senior righty who has been battling injuries got the start for "rehab" innings. Ended up going 5 innings, scattering 5 hits and giving up just the 1 run.

Son came in for the 6th and 7th. Gave up 1 hit and struck out 4. Next 2 games are away/home series against the current region leaders, and last year's runners-up from the championship. Very tough team and a true test of where our team stacks up in our region, and division 5A.

The stories may not be as glowing next week...but the positives will still be there.

Perhaps if we had a forum for "off-the-field" challenges...I could start a novel Frown.
I understand Coach Waltrip's take regarding posting the Good times and the Bad. He has made it clear that he wasn't referring directly to 2BMom's posts. I enjoy reading 2BMom's post's too, and her excitement regarding her son's achievements this season on and off the field. Hopefully that wasn't her last post on this thread? Besides, I want to know how her son's team does in the playoffs!

My 2011 son has gone through Good times & Bad times so far this year. I've posted in the Mental & Hitting threads in the first couple of months this season, and received some very good advice. Most of the advice was for my son, but some was directed towards me...basically relax, enjoy myself...before I know it, my son will be off to college (hopefully still playing ball?)...Time Flies!!!

Anyway, back to this thread (HS Baseball reporting) and my son's Roller Coaster ride! My son has some decent talent. He has participated in a few PG Showcases and a Team One Showcase. He pitches in the upper 80's, runs very well (6.7 60), and has above average pop. His first game of the HS season he went 0-4 with three K's. Fortunately, he pitched the last inning to pick up the Save. Two days later, he went 5-6 in a double header with two homers. And basically has been up and down since, consistently Inconsistent!Big Grin His team just won the Lions Tournament (San Diego) in the Premier Division, he went 3-5 with two doubles in the championship game versus a team out of McClean, Virginia. The day before he had gone 0-3 with two K's, and the day before that he had hit a Grand Slam...Now that's a Roller Coaster ride!

On a side note, MarlinsMS_35 and his HS team were out here from Florida playing in our bracket, but unfortunately didn't make it out of their Pool...I would have enjoyed watching a young man that posts here on HSBBWeb, play.

I will continue to Post the Good & Bad on this thread for the remainder of the season...I believe it will be good therapy for me, and it should help me leave my kid alone and allow him to do what he's capable of the remainder of the season. I suggest anyone else to feel free to do the same...because even if your kid is hitting .450, amazingly he's still failing 55 percent of the time! Baseball is a game of failure, it's how our kids handle the tough times that count! Good luck to everyone's son the remainder of this season!
SP dad,

That was a great description of your son working through adversity and maintaining the course! You got to take some credit here...I'm sure by your description you have helped him on the mental game...I have come to believe helping our sons through the mental game is just as important as working on the technical aspects of the game...maybe more because how many times have we seen these young men face difficult times whether it is a playing on an underperforming team or not happy with their own performance and get into a deep funk and can't play to their potential?

Good luck to your son SP dad...
Toughest loss of the season today.

We had our sophomore pitcher on the mound that can touch 90 mph at times, and he could only go four innings because of the pitch count. I came in for one batter after him to face their lefty (because im left handed), and he got a hit on an 0-2 count.

Anyways, they ended up hitting a walk off home run and winning 7-6. The game was a home run fest (6 total). That brings us to 5-2 on the season.

On a side note, a senior on the other team had committed suicide last night. They deserved the win for him. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.
2Bmom - keep posting, I enjoy reading your posts. We were down in your neck of the woods (Orlando) last week playing in a spring break tournament. My son's team lost to a very good Flanagan High School team from around the Ft. Lauderdale area in the tournament semi-final game, 13-12. Even though we lost, it was one of the most entertaining games I have ever watched. Both teams battled hard with us scoring a run in the top of the seventh to tie and then losing in the bottom of the seventh. I thought Flanagan was about the best hitting high school team I've seen. As good as they were, they lost in the final against a team from TN (Farragut) that has an excellent pitcher named Pfeifer who pitches for Team USA. As hard as they hit us, he shut them out 2-0 giving up 4 hits and having 16 k's. I was hoping my son's team would get to face them in the final. Probably wouldn't have liked it, but was still hoping for the matchup.
Last edited by golfball
Had I found this site during his sophomore year, you would have seen a post or two about his sitting on the bench nearly the entire season yet kept working his butt off. You would have heard how he struggled hitting his spots and worried he'd end up back on the bench. You would have heard how he somehow couldn't find that special something he had on the travel team but couldn't exhibit it on his high school team.

But not this year. It's his senior year and the success he had last summer is only getting better. He's not 6' tall or 200 lbs and doesn't throw hard. But he understands that as a lefty and a sidearm situational pitcher, that's not his role. He's had 7 appearances and only one earned run. Faced 31 batters(some of them future D1 players)and had only ONE walk! 23 of those batters either struck out or were out at first. He's a reliever/closer so doesn't get many innings, but the ones he gets are critical. And he's handling it with such finesse. He hasn't seen his name in the papers except for small mentions at the very end of articles indicating he got the save. He doesn't care. His team is relying on him for conference games(especially when they are close) and he's pulling through for them. I am so proud not just of his success, but of his composure on the mound, perseverance and tenacity. He's done this while juggling good grades in AP classes and a job. That's what I'm most proud of - that he's realizing how to be successful in life. Hard work and persverance. And he's doing it with his own drive and will to succeed.

It's happening to his team too. I'm amazed at how many of them are not just hardworking on the fields, but also great students. They are relying on each other and pulling through as a team. Many of them now starters, had their fair share of bench time.

Yes, please post when things aren't going well. So that we can share our own stories and struggles and you'll see that it will eventually get better, if not be better BECAUSE OF the struggles!
Last edited by Leftysidearmom
quote:
The struggles, hardships and difficulties that accompany many teams and players are what I have not heard in this thread. No criticism here of anyone here because I would like to brag too

We here, have all experienced the hardships. I for one, enjoy reading about the successes and being able to actually "feel" the excitement in a Parents words (2b Mom; I really enjoyed the fact that you garner so much happiness from your son's baseball) after having shared in their sons triumphs!

Keep that positive fun stuff rolling as far as I'm concerned. If someone "needs" advise on how to handle their son's failure .... then they will ask!
quote:
Originally posted by bsbl247:
On a side note, MarlinsMS_35 and his HS team were out here from Florida playing in our bracket, but unfortunately didn't make it out of their Pool...I would have enjoyed watching a young man that posts here on HSBBWeb, play.

We were leading Grossmont 5-2 in the 7th, and blew it in our 3rd pool game. Our starter racked up a huge pitch count due to errors, and ran out of gas.

We became ranked #1 in the county last week, and we're #1 again this week.
Last edited by MarlinsMS_35
Coach Waltrip - failures. Baseball is a game of failure! Son hits a HR one day and 0/3 the next. Team is just .500 but a great group of boys that play as a team. Son played Freshman ball, JV ball(out of position - an I'Fer w/ IF glove and they put him in OF but he still caught all the fly balls Smile. Watched other kids get moved up to V ahead of him time after time. It WAS frustrating. He is not a big kid and our HS likes their BB players to look like FB players and they pick FB players for the V team. FINALLY- Jr year they give him a chance and he did ok - nothing conference shattering but proved he could play and hit with the V - he had highest BA of Juniors. Now again watching the same thing over this year - talented younger ballplayers are over looked for athletic football players and while these kids could mash JV and Frosh ball - they are clueless when a good curve or changeup comes their way. So yea, it has been a struggle but the perservence factor has been key and a great character builder that will serve him well later in life. So far he is having a good senior year! I think he is the only player at our HS who is a starter Jr and Sr year who played Frosh and JV ball previous years. Rambling. But trust me had his set backs and failures. PERSERVERENCE!
Last edited by baseball_fever
My last post stated son had injured his pitching hand. I'm relieved and thrilled to post that he came into the game last night and closed with a win. He had command of everything but his curve ball, which he says still hurts to throw. He'll lay off that for another week. But, we've gone from the initial "Oh brother, we're out for the season!" to "Thank the Lord he's okay!"

Man, is baseball a roller-coast rider or what?!!!
Gameday...that is awesome to hear!!

Son got his shot pitching for varsity yesterday. He was so nervous..lol. He was rushing his mechanics and you could practically hear his heart beating in the stands! He pitched one inning and did ok considering his nerves. He gave up 1 hit, walked a batter and struck out another. He induced a little come-backer to get out of the inning unscathed.
Gameday...great news!

redsox...outstanding!

Son took the bump against the #1 ranked team in 5A. He has been a nervous wreck since the coach told him he was the starter Big Grin. Opposing team was the runner-up in the championship last year; after losing their first tournament game and roaring back through the loser's bracket. They have also averaged 11 runs a game this season.

The team played solid D behind him...and our line-up gave him a lead in every inning. He went 6-1/3 giving up 5 runs on 10 hits. Junior righty came in in the 7th with bags packed and pitched the team out of the jam and onto the victory! Varsity squad is now 12-1 (3-0 region) with the 2nd game of the series tomorrow at home.
Thanks Red and 27!!! It's good to hear other pitchers get the nervous shakes! Red, not a bad outting! Being able to come back under pressure is a sign of maturity!

27, I'm chuckling about your son being told he was starting and being a nervous wreck from them on!! Son and I have discussed whether he wants to know days before that he will be starting, or if he'd rather find out at the last minute. The last game he pitched before his injury, he found out on the bus ride over. That REALLY messed with him! He's decided more advance notice is a good idea-lol!

Keep us posted!
Gameday:
quote:
He's decided more advance notice is a good idea-lol!

Son is the same. He still has the nerves, but the advance notice helps him get mentally ready. I asked him last night when the butterflies went away. He said, "Third inning." Smile

Today's game was very different. The team is top-ranked for a reason. Our D struggled behind our starter...and our relievers either couldn't find the zone (9 walks), or got crushed when they did. Varsity squad lost 18-7. They are now 12-2 (3-1 Region) with the next region series starting on Tuesday.
SP_Son helped his team earn their first District win of the season last night with a CG 9-3 win (1 ER). The sub-plots made the win all the more precious for some of the boys.

The school is a young school, and has only had baseball for 4 years. The Sr. Catcher hit his first HS Home run as part of a 3-run 1st.

Catcher's Dad told me that SP_son threw the first complete game in the school's short history last night. Ironic, in that he went 7+ in relief last week ... more than a comlete game's worth.

The opposition Coach had Coached SP_Son in the fall of 2007. Son has actually played more ball for the opposing Coach than for his current Coach. After he used his Andy Pettite pick-off move to take out the first baserunner of the game, the opposing Coach (who LOVES his move, and knows it well) went crying to the Umps, and bought a later Balk call ... knowing darn well that Son's move is clean but deadly. Touche for him Smile

SP_Son persuaded the PC to let he and the Catcher call their own game, and responded with an 11 K, 1 BB performance (personal record for K's, typical BB total). He also went 2-for-4 at the plate, scoring one and getting 1 RBI.

After our Sr. CF got injured the other night, the Coach brought up and started the JV Freshman CF, and he both made some plays and got his 1st Varsity hit.

Team has gone from 0-5 and playing like the Bad News Bears to 2-5 and beginning to look like they believe they can play. Good to see the boys having some success.

Last week, a win slipped away from them when the wheels fell off the defense in SP-Son's 8th inning of relief work, and he had run out of magic. He was very happy he was able to go out and earn the win last night for his school, for his team, and against his former Coach [who he likes very much].
Last edited by southpaw_dad
Got a big surprise this week, my son is a pitcher on his team and never gets an opportunity to do any other work. But with spring break in full swing we had to make up a game already in progress and a game rained out.He was called on to play a skilled position and bat. He was able to remember which end of the bat to hold and know which direction to run lol.As he doesnt get any other work in during practices except pitching drills, he went 1 for 3.
We had to also place another pitcher out in the field to along with the one pitching, 3 pure pitchers playing they went 2 for 9 and 2 at bats were robbed by the fielding team so they could have gone 4 for 9. The team had 6 hits total so not bad for pure bread pitchers swinging the bat.Season is in full swing not going as well as we would like but not to bad for a very young team. We are 5th in our district of 9 teams. Hope everyones season is going well and safe.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.