Skip to main content

Bballsavante posted:
Chico Escuela posted:
Bballsavante posted:

***   If discussion relates to timetables of seasons, recruitment, etc, it’s one thing, but to speak one word about whether cancellations are warranted or whether the virus is world ending or this side of the common cold is complete bs in my opinion. 

Agreed this has become a long thread.  But I think we're going to have a hard time talking about baseball "timetables of seasons, recruitment etc." right now without talking about the one factor driving every one of those things.  My family are stuck in the house, routines have been upended, I want to know what's going to happen and am seeking information (and, frankly, thinking too much about it all).  If you think sharing links to CDC publications and articles by Harvard and Stanford epidemiologists is "bs," you're entitled to your opinion.  The solution is simple--don't read the thread.  I disagree with many opinions expressed here, but I'm still glad to have the conversation.  (It's not as though I can go have a chat with folks at the office or after church these days...) 

Non-doctors give opinions in these forums all the time (properly caveated, IMO) about injuries, training and recovery.  I don't think it's correct that "cancelling the HS baseball season is/is not warranted given what I read in X" is off-topic.  But if you think it is, then I understand if you decide to un-follow the thread.

Again, the original thread title is 2020 hs baseball season. Not 2020 coronavirus ad nauseum. You can’t turn on the tv, radio, newspaper, twitter, etc without it slamming you in the mouth. Quite frankly, I’m sick (no pun) of hearing about it. This forum is for baseball talk and this thread is specifically for how to maneuver through the challenges of a shortned season or no season at all. Answering questions, giving each other advice, etc, sharing experiences with how you are seeing things handled in recruitment in lieu of this, summer ball, workout tips, etc. But droning on for pages nonstop about the virus has no relevance to the discussion and adds nothing here. It drives people away. I find it incredibly hard to believe most of you would rather talk about the virus nonstop and ignore the thread topic then to have the handful of “virus resident self experts” set up an off topic thread where they can give baseball back to the rest of us. That or just rename the thread to corona 2020 and start a new 2020 hs baseball thread because this is ridiculous.

You have done enough droning on too. If you don’t like the thread don’t read it. There are a lot of threads on here that I don’t like and I find annoying. As soon as I realize it’s one of those I don’t read it. Threads take a left turn all the time. That’s just the way it goes. Bitching about doesn’t accomplish anything. 

Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

Still really crappy. Kids working hard for an opportunity that is now taken away for 3 more years. And walking into rosters with juniors who were sure things for the draft but are now playing another year.  They are making a bigger mess of all of this.  If they just move forward, it sucks but everyone lost one season.  What they are doing now messes up 3-4 seasons.

There’s going to be competition for your hs son regardless of the situation and lots of it. Rosters at the college level are highly competitive and fluid to say the least. And the ncaa is trying to do the right thing here. It’s tough all the way around. Think of the college jr that hoped to be drafted, the jc soph looking for a scholarship to D1 or to be drafted, etc, etc. It isn’t just about hs srs and their “odds stacked against them”. All angles have to be considered and it’s a very tough call. I applaud the ncaa in at least being swift and decisive so student athletes weren’t left in any more limbo than normal. Unprecedented for sure. Numbers will work through over the next couple classes.

I agree it’s hard for seniors in Hs and college. The rest of the crew in college got a pretty decent deal.  Those college jrs have been scouted for years. If they were going to be drafted, they still will (if there is a draft), if not, they get another year and STILL have negotiating power.  The seniors get to redo their year.  The only ones who really get nothing more than walking into a mess are hs kids.  They didn’t get scouted much for the draft, they don’t get to redo the season, they just get to be underdogs for 4 years.  It is what it is, but I think college jrs are sitting pretty. Actually so are freshmen and sophomore they will all have 2 draft eligible years that have negotiating power.

Last edited by baseballhs

Heard from our HS coach that Texas is hoping to restart the Season May 4th.  Let's hope that is the case.  I think I saw a tweet that UIL said they also wants to crown a state champion in each division. That is just stupid, but I guess it's the "Try Trophy" Generation. 

We'd just be happy to have games to play. No need for State of District Champs this year. Please don't mess with summer ball. That's more important to recruiting than HS every was (unless you're drafting, which isn't going to happen for the vast majority/entirety of high school. 

baseballhs posted:
Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

Still really crappy. Kids working hard for an opportunity that is now taken away for 3 more years. And walking into rosters with juniors who were sure things for the draft but are now playing another year.  They are making a bigger mess of all of this.  If they just move forward, it sucks but everyone lost one season.  What they are doing now messes up 3-4 seasons.

There’s going to be competition for your hs son regardless of the situation and lots of it. Rosters at the college level are highly competitive and fluid to say the least. And the ncaa is trying to do the right thing here. It’s tough all the way around. Think of the college jr that hoped to be drafted, the jc soph looking for a scholarship to D1 or to be drafted, etc, etc. It isn’t just about hs srs and their “odds stacked against them”. All angles have to be considered and it’s a very tough call. I applaud the ncaa in at least being swift and decisive so student athletes weren’t left in any more limbo than normal. Unprecedented for sure. Numbers will work through over the next couple classes.

The seniors get to redo their year.  The only ones who really get nothing more than walking into a mess are hs kids.  They didn’t get scouted much for the draft, they don’t get to redo the season, they just get to be underdogs for 4 years.  It is what it is, but I think college jrs are sitting pretty. Actually so are freshmen and sophomore they will all have 2 draft elegance years that have negotiating power.

I think all of us are going to think that our kid has it worst and people at other levels are basically okay. Yes, my son (a sophomore at a P5) has an extra year of eligibility, but we got an email earlier this week from the school saying they are trying to figure out scholarships. It's not like that's a huge amount of money, but it certainly will be something many of us will continue when making decisions.

Incoming college freshmen are underdogs no matter what the situation. They're going to have to battle for everything they get and now juniors and seniors who stick around for an extra year are going to have a crop of incoming freshmen to battle for spots they thought they had earned.

Truth is, this isn't good for anyone. We also need to see if from more than our own perspective, although certainly we look mostly closely on the impact on our own kid.

I figured out you can block certain people so I’ll go that route as a solution instead. This way their posts are invisible. Kind of like their baseball content in this thread. What a relief. The nerve in asking me to start a new thread for baseball talk since this has been hijacked by a select few. What is wrong with some people? Seriously.

As far as a hs sr goes, if you feel they will be so far behind college players now and are worried about draft position, I’m not sure what I’m missing. First off, if your son is good enough to be drafted then he’ll be good enough to get on the field in college so the draft would be the least of my worries. And you have to understand that scouts are looking for upside and stretch skills so if ability is there it will be found from hs to d3, jc to ends of the earth. If you want wider options, go jc. I will also caution you that in this day and age, players get hurt, burn out, homesick, get cut, fill in the blank at record levels. Turnover in college baseball is higher than any other sport. Roster churn is real. And only 9% of college players get drafted over their careers. Not sure the numbers but it would be extremely low to stick in the majors or any high minor league level. And minor leagues are being cut as we speak. Your son getting positioned for a degree is the most important and highly overlooked factor in all of this. I realize many of you started lessons at 5, coached Johnny thru travel ball and now he is mowing down everyone and everything at your local hs and luxury showcase wooden bat event. But the real world is coming soon. This can be a great thing but please put it all in perspective and do everything in your power to let your son take it from here. And just enjoy the ride. It’s really out of your hands now dad....

It’s more about conversation. I think my kid will be fine, he’s a top 100 player. His options however, are definitely different due to this. I’m speaking as a whole.  We have a lot of friends with hs seniors obviously and I think they and the 2021s and 2022 get the brunt.  As I said, it is what it is.  I know if I had a college freshman-junior, I would see how this could be good.  Frustrating but not really losing much.

Bballsavante posted:

I figured out you can block certain people so I’ll go that route as a solution instead. This way their posts are invisible. Kind of like their baseball content in this thread. What a relief. The nerve in asking me to start a new thread for baseball talk since this has been hijacked by a select few. What is wrong with some people? Seriously.

As far as a hs sr goes, if you feel they will be so far behind college players now and are worried about draft position, I’m not sure what I’m missing. First off, if your son is good enough to be drafted then he’ll be good enough to get on the field in college so the draft would be the least of my worries. And you have to understand that scouts are looking for upside and stretch skills so if ability is there it will be found from hs to d3, jc to ends of the earth. If you want wider options, go jc. I will also caution you that in this day and age, players get hurt, burn out, homesick, get cut, fill in the blank at record levels. Turnover in college baseball is higher than any other sport. Roster churn is real. And only 9% of college players get drafted over their careers. Not sure the numbers but it would be extremely low to stick in the majors or any high minor league level. And minor leagues are being cut as we speak. Your son getting positioned for a degree is the most important and highly overlooked factor in all of this. I realize many of you started lessons at 5, coached Johnny thru travel ball and now he is mowing down everyone and everything at your local hs and luxury showcase wooden bat event. But the real world is coming soon. This can be a great thing but please put it all in perspective and do everything in your power to let your son take it from here. And just enjoy the ride. It’s really out of your hands now dad....

You are relatively new to this site. One thing you might want to do is read the profiles of members you are talking to before you take a condescending position. There are a lot of people on this site that know a lot.  

baseballhs posted:
Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

I agree it’s hard for seniors in Hs and college. The rest of the crew in college got a pretty decent deal.  Those college jrs have been scouted for years. If they were going to be drafted, they still will (if there is a draft), if not, they get another year and STILL have negotiating power.  The seniors get to redo their year.  The only ones who really get nothing more than walking into a mess are hs kids.  They didn’t get scouted much for the draft, they don’t get to redo the season, they just get to be underdogs for 4 years.  It is what it is, but I think college jrs are sitting pretty. Actually so are freshmen and sophomore they will all have 2 draft elegance years that have negotiating power.

I could be wrong but have a feeling that only college seniors are going to get an extra year of eligibility. I believe that NCAA DII committee has already announced it. 

Regarding the draft, I’m hearing that it’s going to happen and “if” anything changes, they may cut the number of rounds in half. 

Also, hearing that the PGs, PBRs, Program 15s of the world are jockeying to create some sort of pre-draft combine for top prospects. Now, unless the virus is contained over the next month or so it’s a moot point if scouts aren’t allowed back on the road. So, like everything else, it’s wait and see. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Don't count on any extra years.  The man, Tim Corbin, just vaguely came out against giving anyone an extra year so that could change everything.  He says there is not enough money, room on rosters, and so on to give everyone an extra year.  He was being interviewed and gave a lot of reasons why he does not think it should or will happen.  That may change everything if baseball coaches start saying they do not want it. 

Bballsavante posted:

That makes almost 400 words in three different posts complaining that people are posting stuff you think is off-topic.  Skimming this thread for the posts you want to read will take you less time than you already spent kvetching.  And many of those folks you are threatening to block are good sources of baseball info. But you do you, man.

adbono posted:

You have done enough droning on too. If you don’t like the thread don’t read it. There are a lot of threads on here that I don’t like and I find annoying. As soon as I realize it’s one of those I don’t read it. Threads take a left turn all the time. That’s just the way it goes. Bitching about doesn’t accomplish anything. 

Agree 100%. 

Look everyone is worrying about their kids. Mine is a coach and I worry about him as well.

For those that are very worried about what will happen with their player, whether they are a 2020 HS senior, freshman, sophmore, junior or senior in college this is an unprecedented event, so really no one knows the final outcome. And that goes for all sports.  

I can tell you  my hunch is that possibly there are many people working on possible solutions depending upon the outcome . We all have to be patient and use our best judgement in protecting our family and ourselves. 

With that said, it's ok to talk about whatever you want here, any topic.

I am actually happy that folks have a place to come vent, and for our newcomers, it has  always been that way.

russinfortworth posted:
Go44dad posted:

Moved up to #4 in state rankings. I think we can hold this spot awhile. 

We are #2 (5A).  Son has friends at CC Vet. Memorial.  He told them "meet 1/2 way this summer?", and told me "if we are consensus #2, shouldn't we get a ring if we don't play another game", plus "an undefeated season"...............

Nobody gets a ring for a ranking in March. And IMO you shouldn’t get one for a 2nd place finish either. Unfortunately the chances that any HS team in Texas plays another game this year are slim and none. 

baseballhs posted:

It’s more about conversation. I think my kid will be fine, he’s a top 100 player. His options however, are definitely different due to this. I’m speaking as a whole.  We have a lot of friends with hs seniors obviously and I think they and the 2021s and 2022 get the brunt.  As I said, it is what it is.  I know if I had a college freshman-junior, I would see how this could be good.  Frustrating but not really losing much.

Rankings are great until hs kids show up on campus. At that point, no one cares. Aluminum bats don’t care, college hitters certainly don’t care and college coaches absolutely don’t care. In this day and age, a startling number of kids are going down to injury in their first yr or two in college due to tons of reasons that have been discussed repeatedly in the media. But bodies will be transformed significantly while in college and learning how to really pitch will also happen. I’ve seen countless pitchers that left hs that couldn’t be touched, ranked high and all that nonsense and didn’t last a minute in college. Some work ethic, big man on campus issues, grades, injuries, ineffective, couldn’t throw strikes, johnny fastball (all d1 hitters hit johnny’s fastball), and many more. I’ve also seen unranked kids walk on to D1 and be drafted. So rankings mean next to nothing in baseball unless it’s a college ranking. HS rankings are nearly worthless imo based on the transformation that happens, coaching, competition, etc

Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

Rankings are great until hs kids show up on campus. At that point, no one cares. Aluminum bats don’t care, college hitters certainly don’t care and college coaches absolutely don’t care. In this day and age, a startling number of kids are going down to injury in their first yr or two in college due to tons of reasons that have been discussed repeatedly in the media. But bodies will be transformed significantly while in college and learning how to really pitch will also happen. I’ve seen countless pitchers that left hs that couldn’t be touched, ranked high and all that nonsense and didn’t last a minute in college. Some work ethic, big man on campus issues, grades, injuries, ineffective, couldn’t throw strikes, johnny fastball (all d1 hitters hit johnny’s fastball), and many more. I’ve also seen unranked kids walk on to D1 and be drafted. So rankings mean next to nothing in baseball unless it’s a college ranking. HS rankings are nearly worthless imo based on the transformation that happens, coaching, competition, etc

This goes right along with the football “stars don’t matter” argument. Sure, a lot of things can happen where a highly ranked kid won’t work out. BUT, those kids are much more likely to succeed than the unranked kid. 

Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

Thanks for clearing that up.  He’s never worked a day in his life and we were pretty sure he was gonna walk in and announce his presence. Crap.  New game plan.

I think they were talking HS rankings earlier (might have been a different thread) vs Individual rankings.  HS rankings mean nothing. Individual rankings help you get noticed, recruited, etc. But as soon as they get on campus, wipes the slate. They have to work, earn, sweat, grind, and learn, like everyone. The coaches are going to play the best kids to get a win, that scholarship guy, that 0% guy, and/or the walk on. (paraphrased, but directly from UNC's coach Scott Forbes)

Last edited by Eokerholm
baseballhs posted:
Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

Thanks for clearing that up.  He’s never worked a day in his life and we were pretty sure he was gonna walk in and announce his presence. Crap.  New game plan.

You can joke and not take this seriously, but my son went in as a pretty low level, late recruited kid in a class with some very highly rated guys who couldn't decide if they would go with the draft or college. A year later they're not drafted or at their original school. They really didn't understand how hard they would have to work. Entirely possibly your son gets it, but I do think it's really important to emphasize.

PitchingFan posted:

Don't count on any extra years.  The man, Tim Corbin, just vaguely came out against giving anyone an extra year so that could change everything.  He says there is not enough money, room on rosters, and so on to give everyone an extra year.  He was being interviewed and gave a lot of reasons why he does not think it should or will happen.  That may change everything if baseball coaches start saying they do not want it. 

I didn't see or read the interview but you can bet that HC phones haven't stopped ringing since last week.  There are very rich programs out there that can afford to expand rosters, most can't.

However, probably they are waiting to see what happens with the ML draft.

It’s not about not taking anything seriously. I’ve researched the transfer portal, we are very educated about what we are walking into which is why this conversation was even brought up.  Yeah, I think my kid will be fine because I know him and his work and I’ve seen him compete.  Did things just get harder with all these changes, yes. Did opportunities  change, yes. Do I think my kid needs to pull out of his commitment and go somewhere else because he is in over his head, no.  

Last edited by baseballhs

Baseballhs is showing a tremendous amount of restraint and humility. His kid is a highly recruited top ranked RHP in one of the top 3 baseball states in America. His national ranking is justified and his kid is a legit draft prospect. His stock is rising and with a good Sr yr in HS could have improved his stock even more. If the draft doesn’t go the way they hope he has a top 20 P5 program that would love to have him. I have seen video and barring injury he will surely be drafted at some point. 

adbono posted:

Baseballhs is showing a tremendous amount of restraint and humility. His kid is a highly recruited top ranked RHP in one of the top 3 baseball states in America. His national ranking is justified and his kid is a legit draft prospect. His stock is rising and with a good Sr yr in HS could have improved his stock even more. If the draft doesn’t go the way they hope he has a top 20 P5 program that would love to have him. I have seen video and barring injury he will surely be drafted at some point. 

I’ve seen him several times. He has what scouts are looking for, current velocity and projectability for more. 

baseballhs posted:

Really wasn’t trying to make it about my kid. Just more the conversation of potential obstacles for everyone.  And some potential upside for college players. I think the extra year for seniors makes more sense than doing it across the board for sure.

I know you weren’t. I think that was done for you. 

Go44dad posted:
adbono posted:

I’ve seen him several times. He has what scouts are looking for, current velocity and projectability for more. 

I get where BaseballHS coming from. I know a dozen or so high school kids who started the year in the rounds 1-3 range. Most, if not all, of whom worked very hard this offseason to improve their draft stock with a good spring. Now the spring has been eliminated so I understand the frustration. 

I firmly believe that their will be a draft in June. I think most teams draft boards will be based off of last fall versus this spring with a few exceptions. Some players have moved up with the limited sampling but I feel for the high school kids who have not even played one game. 

Now, obviously there are things more important than baseball but I understand how the uncertainty can make some uneasy. 

baseballhs posted:

Really wasn’t trying to make it about my kid. Just more the conversation of potential obstacles for everyone.  And some potential upside for college players. I think the extra year for seniors makes more sense than doing it across the board for sure.

I think the juniors who were going to get drafted are still going to get drafted. I think the seniors who get drafted or offered free agent deals are going to sign and start their pro careers because they don’t have a lot of leverage anyway. I don’t see the benefit of coming back (if you can sign) for seniors who are interested in pro ball. 

baseballhs posted:

I actually agree it’s an incredible mess. Just incredible and unprecedented mess. I would have punted the WS this year (due to the questions of the timeline) but tried to salvage a summer college season as a one year alternative. Draft could also be pushed back accordingly. That way, college budgets aren’t stressed any more than they already are and it creates one headache (this summer) instead of potentially a couple yrs plus all the extra expense. But no one asked me. And I certainly didn’t question your son’s ability. I’m simply speaking from experience and talking in general. As for the guy making the snarky football ratings comment. Get over yourself already. Apples and oranges and most of the conversation had to do with things other than physical tools although even they level or even out quite a bit in college. I’m simply trying to help as I was in your shoes once. As I said, enjoy the ride, however long it lasts.

hshuler posted:
baseballhs posted:

I think the juniors who were going to get drafted are still going to get drafted. I think the seniors who get drafted or offered free agent deals are going to sign and start their pro careers because they don’t have a lot of leverage anyway. I don’t see the benefit of coming back (if you can sign) for seniors who are interested in pro ball. 

You are correct. There is no value for a senior to come back if he has a chance to play pro ball and wants to. The “value” is to the senior that wants to finish his degree and/or go to grad school and now has a chance to play one more year. These are the guys that could create the roster logjam. My guess is that HCs at D1 programs are going to have mixed feelings about these guys. Some will be wanted back and some won’t. Some will have to transfer to keep playing.  Hard to imagine many getting much baseball money. 

adbono posted:
hshuler posted:
baseballhs posted:

You are correct. There is no value for a senior to come back if he has a chance to play pro ball and wants to. The “value” is to the senior that wants to finish his degree and/or go to grad school and now has a chance to play one more year. These are the guys that could create the roster logjam. My guess is that HCs at D1 programs are going to have mixed feelings about these guys. Some will be wanted back and some won’t. Some will have to transfer to keep playing.  Hard to imagine many getting much baseball money. 

Agreed! But the $64K question is who’s going to pay for that? Expanded rosters for ‘21 sounds good in theory but where’s the money coming from?

There aren’t many profitable baseball programs to start with and even those are in the red for the ‘20 season. 

Food for thought:  If a senior had the option of coming back for another year, wouldn't he be considered a "jr" in the eyes of MLB, thus he would have the same leverage as a jr?  If the player is a projected upper round draft pick, I would guess the MLB would treat him as a jr or risk not having him the next draft year.  I am probably wrong in my assumption though.

TheMaskedPlayer posted:

Food for thought:  If a senior had the option of coming back for another year, wouldn't he be considered a "jr" in the eyes of MLB, thus he would have the same leverage as a jr?  If the player is a projected upper round draft pick, I would guess the MLB would treat him as a jr or risk not having him the next draft year.  I am probably wrong in my assumption though.

I get your point but age has to be a consideration as well. In most cases, college juniors are drafted at 21. If you’re talking about a fifth year senior, possibly 23.

Theres obviously an advantage to starting short season A ball at 21 versus 23. 

hshuler posted:
TheMaskedPlayer posted:

I get your point but age has to be a consideration as well. In most cases, college juniors are drafted at 21. If you’re talking about a fifth year senior, possibly 23.

Theres obviously an advantage to starting short season A ball at 21 versus 23. 

So true.  Even if a 1st rounder on a fast track to the Bigs, still going to take a couple of years in the minors.  Now we are looking at 24 - 26 when you get your first cup of coffee.  Many may be late 20's too.

ABSORBER posted:

One more thought. Does the Junior who returns as a RS Junior (academic senior) REALLY have any leverage with MLB signing? Won't MLB know the player would have to apply and be accepted to grad school? Not to mention pay for it as well! I'm not sure the player would have ANY leverage.

In most cases, leverage to negotiate goes out of the window after year three. 

Bballsavante posted:

Talk about nerve, really?  A guy with barely 100 posts telling everyone how to run the site?  Smh. We are a community. We certainly don’t always agree on everything!  But wow, just wow. This site prides itself on being supportive of the members. It’s like nothing else. I guess you just haven’t been around long enough to learn that. And to answer your question, nothing is wrong with “some people”

baseballhs posted:

It sounds like your kid will be fine! And I am glad. Mine is a Jr.  Believe me it’s not good. Most of his teammates that are Sr will not be returning (probably all). As a Jr, he has a special relationship with the Sr class. That has been disrupted. He is missing out on the sheer joy of the brotherhood of their last season, which they will never get to have together. It’s difficult to explain. Hopefully one day your son will be able to explain it to in a better way than I am doing right now. 

Another thing. Jrs and the draft. Some of them, the non blue chippers, which may have been chosen, won’t be. They’ll be a year older next year. If they do get chosen next year, they’ll have less time in the system to make an impact. I could go on and on. But I won’t. It sucks for almost all involved. 

Our last game was Thurs., March 12th, about 1.5 hours away. The governor held a press conference that my husband and I listened to on the radio on the way. At the same time, I was learning about other school cancellations on social media.  That's when when we first realized what was going to happen. It was emotional. At the field, just before the game, we learned our school was moving to virtual classes effective immediately.  I'm so grateful our boys got to play that game as I've heard some in Georgia traveled to games that day that they didn't get to play. I took hundreds of pictures and should have taken more. The moment when our coach tells the team - our seniors' faces and body language - its a heartbreaking photo. 

Last edited by HomeField2020

The group that I am most sorry for are the college seniors. Many of them have given up the opportunity to get drafted in 2019 because they wanted to help their team or had a promise made to them about getting drafted this year. That happens. Although they may have another year of eligibility, they become a year older.

I am hoping and praying that if this year's draft occurs, college seniors get their chance.

HS senior year is special, no doubt, but for those who will go onto play in college, it's just the beginning.

TPM posted:

The group that I am most sorry for are the college seniors. Many of them have given up the opportunity to get drafted in 2019 because they wanted to help their team or had a promise made to them about getting drafted this year. That happens. Although they may have another year of eligibility, they become a year older.

I am hoping and praying that if this year's draft occurs, college seniors get their chance.

HS senior year is special, no doubt, but for those who will go onto play in college, it's just the beginning.

💔

GA schools officially closed for the year. Still no statement yet from GHSA.

Obviously the health of our population is more important. But It doesn’t mean I’m not sad for the seniors. Son (2022) is snapping back & forth with his senior teammates, commiserating with them. They had moved up to #4 in the nation in the last polls, and had a real shot at taking the state championship.

Plenty of good teams stood in their way, but it would have been a huge thrill to watch. 

NC's HS sports authority also just announced they are "optimistic" they can hold championships for winter sports (mainly basketball) and at least an abbreviated spring season. 

That seems unlikely to me.  But if sports do start up again, what about the fact that players will have been off the field for ~6 weeks (or are supposed to have been)?  My son is a pitcher.  He is doing med ball and dumbbell workouts at home and trying to stay in shape, but he's not doing any throwing.  (Our yard is less than 60'6" long, and he hates throwing with his old man now anyway because he thinks I'm too old and feeble.) (He's probably not wrong.)

How much practice time will players need to avoid injury?  To avoid having the games look like Little League?  

Chico Escuela posted:

NC's HS sports authority also just announced they are "optimistic" they can hold championships for winter sports (mainly basketball) and at least an abbreviated spring season. 

That seems unlikely to me.  But if sports do start up again, what about the fact that players will have been off the field for ~6 weeks (or are supposed to have been)?  My son is a pitcher.  He is doing med ball and dumbbell workouts at home and trying to stay in shape, but he's not doing any throwing.  (Our yard is less than 60'6" long, and he hates throwing with his old man now anyway because he thinks I'm too old and feeble.) (He's probably not wrong.)

How much practice time will players need to avoid injury?  To avoid having the games look like Little League?  

In our house the old man hates catching the LHP.   I will have a catch with him but he's got to throw at 80%.  We do have a set up that is 60ft 6 inches.  We bought a net and another 2 dozen balls for him to throw into from Dicks which is allowing curb side pick up.  The problem is he's yet to really throw into it but says today is the day. 

I hope you are able to get in at least a partial season.  Gives me more hope.  Our state is planning the same.

I don't have answers to your question but maybe his HS ,Travel or pitching coach might.

Chico Escuela posted:

I would hope all players are finding a way to throw.  My 2022 is hitting and doing J-bands everyday and doing longtoss every other day.  Husband's arm can't keep up, so Lefty takes a bucket with him to throw from the longer distances (really anything past 60ft).  We are operating under the assumption school ball is done for the year and that he needs to come out of this around June 1 (NCAA just extended dead period until May 31) bigger, faster, stonger and ready to go. With 5 years of recruiting classes on rosters it's going to get even more competitive.  Our hardest thing has been the weights. With gyms closed, it's been hard to piece together a strength workout. 

FYI: Driveline is making their 8 week throwing program for pitchers available for free. (along with other resources)  We've never done an overload/underload program before, mostly because we've never had two months without pitching that wasn't a shutdown period.  This seemed like the perfect time.  Just downloaded the PDF and ordered plyo and weighted baseballs on Amazon.   

I am expecting a drop shipment any day of all of the weights, bars, dumbbells, med balls, etc that 2022 needs to do his Cressey programming.  We are switching into off-season gains mode.  If things look likely to start up in June we will implement a ramp up throwing program in May to be ready.  By my estimation, there will be no game play before June 1 and potentially later than that.  Keeping up an in season throwing regimine for 2 plus months without competing seems pointless.

My 2021 loves his PRX Performance Rack system in the garage. Using it daily. I like the safety it provides and peace mind when he's throwing all kinds of weight and it sounds like the house is under mortar attack.

https://prxperformance.com/col...pro-with-kipping-bar

Love the safety squat bar too and it works with the system.

https://www.roguefitness.com/s...gue-safety-squat-bar

We also have TRX System & Kbands Fusion Cables also attached. 

https://www.amazon.com/TRX-ALL...002YRB35I/ref=sr_1_6

https://kbandstraining.com/kba...r-baseball-softball/

NO EXCUSE not to get a workout in!!

Gunner Mack Jr. posted:
Chico Escuela posted:
  (Our yard is less than 60'6" long, and he hates throwing with his old man now anyway because he thinks I'm too old and feeble.) (He's probably not wrong.)

In our house the old man hates catching the LHP.   I will have a catch with him but he's got to throw at 80%.  We do have a set up that is 60ft 6 inches. 

To Chico and Gunner:  It's been a while since I truly caught my son (2b/SS) at game speed. I remember we would practice on a soccer field. I would stand near the net (like a goalkeeper) in the event I didn't catch one (there were many).  He would practice his throw to 1B, and I "played a first baseman". At least the net saved me from chasing more balls.

Followup on earlier post: GHSA has now cancelled all sports for 2019-2020 school year. They remain optimistic but concerned about summer and fall, but no practices or activities until further notice.

So at this point, 2022 looks to the summer. He's lifting 5x week, hitting 5x week, and getting catcher work in 3x week at this point. I'll be honest, I'd love to see him shut down his arm for a month, if possible, just for some rest. But not sure that's prudent at this point.

Senna posted:

Followup on earlier post: GHSA has now cancelled all sports for 2019-2020 school year. They remain optimistic but concerned about summer and fall, but no practices or activities until further notice.

So at this point, 2022 looks to the summer. He's lifting 5x week, hitting 5x week, and getting catcher work in 3x week at this point. I'll be honest, I'd love to see him shut down his arm for a month, if possible, just for some rest. But not sure that's prudent at this point.

Is your son working out with someone else?  I initially suggested that my son see if his HS team's catcher wanted to go to park and do some throwing.  (I figured my son could take some throws at second to help the C out, too.)  But the authorities recently closed all the tennis courts in my county, because they decided it was a bad idea to have people each using their hands to grab the same ball.  That, plus a general lockdown order that discourages non-essential travel has convinced me my earlier plan won't really work.

Chico Escuela posted:
Senna posted:

Is your son working out with someone else?  I initially suggested that my son see if his HS team's catcher wanted to go to park and do some throwing.  (I figured my son could take some throws at second to help the C out, too.)  But the authorities recently closed all the tennis courts in my county, because they decided it was a bad idea to have people each using their hands to grab the same ball.  That, plus a general lockdown order that discourages non-essential travel has convinced me my earlier plan won't really work.

For weight training, he’s working out with his usual trainer in his basement, one-one-one. Hitting and catching he does with me at any cage we can get into. As our current county’s shelter in place ordinance allows us to leave the house to exercise (while maintaining social distancing), we feel safe doing so within those boundaries.

He was catching pens for his best friend, but they’ve stopped doing that.   

As the GA shelter in place comes in tomorrow, we will adjust as we can.

TerribleBPthrower posted:

Yes. Although I know it was extremely unlikely, we were still holding out hope they would squeeze in a short season.

I think it is smart to keep kids home the rest of the year. Besides the health situation, at this point it would be like the last week of the year every week. Teachers would all go insane and quit

Iowa HS baseball season slated to start Memorial Day as usual. Still hoping they can get something in.

Governors keep saying that if they brought kids back mid May that it's not enough time before school lets out for the year. Here's my question ‚ why does school still have to end in May? Why not bring the kids back mid May or June 1 or whatever works for the state you're in, and go for a month or so, let out for a few weeks and come back in August sometime? 

You could even have half the kids come Monday/Wednesday, half do Tuesday/Thursday, everyone do online or distance learning on Fridays.

Am I missing something or is anyone considering any of this? Should we be?

Last edited by Iowamom23

Making it official sucked.  I was holding out some hope.  We had a pretty good team and a pretty good chance to go deep in playoffs.  Hate that it was all taken away.  Trying to switch gears into what's next but at this point it is still hard to know what that is.  We are starting to open up so I really hope there are at least some showcase opportunities before school starts.

I too wish this; our system has school only M-Th, and they are ending the year 2 weeks early.  And then what?  My HS kid is engaged with his schoolwork, and it gives him something to do that isn't playing video games (which even he is getting tired of). 

But, my sense is that there are lots of kids who are just not doing the work now, either because they can't (don't have internet or materials) or their parents don't support/make them do it.  So the schools are trying to balance between everyone.

@anotherparent my wife is a teacher at a pretty affluent school. Everyday there are kids that don’t do anything. One day twins were out fishing with dad, another day a kid lost internet, another set of twin’s parents won’t let them do Zoom because they don’t want people to hear their household conversations. She teaches elementary grade kids.

The high school which is also pretty affluent is a joke. They are a disaster on a good day during regular time. During Zoom learning they’ve had kids do bong hits, girls flashing, dudes showing up and doing muscle posing shirtless during class, kids with porn playing int the background, etc. 

This experience has made us so much happier that we sent our son to a private high school

In NJ, we're still on hold until May 15th. The NJSIAA said that they will play right up to 6/30 if the kids return to school in May (some time). For those watching the numbers, NJ is really bad, second only to NY. But, here's the thing: NJ has 21 counties and is 150 miles long. 60% of the cases in NJ are in the upper northeast corner of the state where it borders NY. For sure, most likely, trying something in those NE counties doesn't really make sense. The counties in south NJ are in much better shape. Really seems sad to paint the whole state with one brush and wipe out the season for the kids in a county where it wasn't bad and is now in control - just because a county 100 miles away is a mess.

@anotherparent my wife is a teacher at a pretty affluent school. Everyday there are kids that don’t do anything. One day twins were out fishing with dad, another day a kid lost internet, another set of twin’s parents won’t let them do Zoom because they don’t want people to hear their household conversations. She teaches elementary grade kids.

The high school which is also pretty affluent is a joke. They are a disaster on a good day during regular time. During Zoom learning they’ve had kids do bong hits, girls flashing, dudes showing up and doing muscle posing shirtless during class, kids with porn playing int the background, etc. 

This experience has made us so much happier that we sent our son to a private high school

I actually am pretty shocked that there will be remote learning again.  Kids have a tendency, no matter where they go tend to take advantage.

Iowamom23 posted:

Yes. Although I know it was extremely unlikely, we were still holding out hope they would squeeze in a short season.

I think it is smart to keep kids home the rest of the year. Besides the health situation, at this point it would be like the last week of the year every week. Teachers would all go insane and quit

Iowa HS baseball season slated to start Memorial Day as usual. Still hoping they can get something in.

Governors keep saying that if they brought kids back mid May that it's not enough time before school lets out for the year. Here's my question ‚ why does school still have to end in May? Why not bring the kids back mid May or June 1 or whatever works for the state you're in, and go for a month or so, let out for a few weeks and come back in August sometime? 

You could even have half the kids come Monday/Wednesday, half do Tuesday/Thursday, everyone do online or distance learning on Fridays.

Am I missing something or is anyone considering any of this? Should we be?

School days can’t extend past June 30. It’s the end of the fiscal year. On July 1 the schools start their new budget year to ramp up for an August opening. 

Francis7 posted:

In NJ, we're still on hold until May 15th. The NJSIAA said that they will play right up to 6/30 if the kids return to school in May (some time). For those watching the numbers, NJ is really bad, second only to NY. But, here's the thing: NJ has 21 counties and is 150 miles long. 60% of the cases in NJ are in the upper northeast corner of the state where it borders NY. For sure, most likely, trying something in those NE counties doesn't really make sense. The counties in south NJ are in much better shape. Really seems sad to paint the whole state with one brush and wipe out the season for the kids in a county where it wasn't bad and is now in control - just because a county 100 miles away is a mess.

A lot of NJ high schools are also in the metro Philadelphia area that isn’t doing so well right now. 

TPM posted:

I actually am pretty shocked that there will be remote learning again.  Kids have a tendency, no matter where they go tend to take advantage.

Remote learning only works if the student is disciplined. Chances are too many high school kids aren’t not.,

Last edited by RJM

I normally drive 25-30 minutes everyday to drop my son off and again to pick him up so he can attend a top prep school in Palm Beach. For us, the time and expense is worth it now that we’ve seen the difference in what he gets there compared to the public school.  Academically, the private prep is leaps and bounds ahead of the public high school. The college counseling and access to admission reps is also going to be a huge advantage when it comes time to apply. The athletic department also has a full college recruiting plan for each kid that desires to play college sports. 

One of the administrators from the public high school is going to send her son to the prep school next year. She said the high school is a mess and it won’t get any better with the current principal. 

TPM posted:

My daughter's step kids go to the best private school in our county.  It's 30k for 1 who is 14, and 14k for the other on scholarship. 

She said that they need to come up with a better plan for 44k.

That is the $55k+ question for all of us pondering paying private college tuition this fall if classes are still online then.  (Yes, it's too soon to know what will happen.  But yes, quite a few schools are making plans in case everything is still online-only come September, and most schools have already decided to hold their summer classes virtually.) 

At least I can save on room and board, but that's a lot to pay for my kid to spend ten or twelve hours per week on Zoom with no access to science labs, etc.  And IMO a big part of the value of college is interactions that occur on campus and making connections there--that doesn't happen online.

I normally drive 25-30 minutes everyday to drop my son off and again to pick him up so he can attend a top prep school in Palm Beach. For us, the time and expense is worth it now that we’ve seen the difference in what he gets there compared to the public school.  Academically, the private prep is leaps and bounds ahead of the public high school. The college counseling and access to admission reps is also going to be a huge advantage when it comes time to apply. The athletic department also has a full college recruiting plan for each kid that desires to play college sports. 

One of the administrators from the public high school is going to send her son to the prep school next year. She said the high school is a mess and it won’t get any better with the current principal. 

What is the school? My daughters kids go to Heritage South.

Chico Escuela posted:
TPM posted:

My daughter's step kids go to the best private school in our county.  It's 30k for 1 who is 14, and 14k for the other on scholarship. 

She said that they need to come up with a better plan for 44k.

That is the $55k+ question for all of us pondering paying private college tuition this fall if classes are still online then.  (Yes, it's too soon to know what will happen.  But yes, quite a few schools are making plans in case everything is still online-only come September, and most schools have already decided to hold their summer classes virtually.) 

At least I can save on room and board, but that's a lot to pay for my kid to spend ten or twelve hours per week on Zoom with no access to science labs, etc.  And IMO a big part of the value of college is interactions that occur on campus and making connections there--that doesn't happen online.

Governor Ron DeSantis declared off site until after Xmas. They are waiting to see if the younger one is accepted to another school.  While money is no object, people that have lots of it know when its time to be frugal....lol. Kids get a lot of work, but I don't know how seriously the take it.

It's not fun staying home with 2 teens.

DeSantis did this because the teachers union had a big say in FL what they wanted. More than likely looks to see the same thing will happen in other states.

Francis7 posted:

Franny, there is a lot of intrastate travel. CNJ is a mess too.  SNJ counties is still in the 100s but hopefully the lock down will drop it more. Murph does not seem ready to partial open counties.

ABSORBER posted:
TPM posted:

Governor Ron DeSantis declared off site until after Xmas. They are waiting to see if the younger one is accepted to another school.  

Huh? I'm confused. Do you mean the end of the school year? Our school year was cancelled a month ago.

FL school year ends mid May. Off site learning will continue until they go back after Christmas.

DeSantis, IMO is worthless, so who knows if that will change. But I think the teachers threatened strike, and I don't blame them. Not sure. 

2022NYC posted:

My kids do remote learning well because my wife is working from home and makes sure they do their work like a "chain gang boss-man". If she went back to work and the kids stayed at home the kids would flunk nursery school. 

Kudos to your wife.  She's doing important work.

I teach at a state university.  I'd say fewer than half of my students are working at a level that their pre-online work showed they clearly were capable of.  Some of that is because they may have kids of their own now at home, lost income from jobs that have disappeared, or just stress and anxiety in our current strange times.  But much of the problem is that young adults don't typically have mom or dad making sure they get their schoolwork done.  Online education takes a lot of discipline--either self-discipline or externally imposed.  And many K-12 students don't have adults who can or will provide the structure students otherwise get from in-person classes.

@TPM where are you seeing schools closed until Christmas? I can only find the announcement until the end of the current year

Ok. Sorry. End of school YEAR.  My bad.

That's actually what happens when you watch the wrong channel. Again, sorry if I made you all panic. 

Last edited by TPM
2022NYC posted:

I fully disagree with your moniker, it should be changed to "ultimate BP discipline coach" . There is no such thing as a terrible BP thrower, all hitters need to work on pitch discipline. 

Lol, if you only knew! It’s more like dodgeball practice when I throw overhand. I jacked up my shoulder years ago and the only throwing motion that doesn’t cause excruciating pain is not easy to repeat consistently. 

Just in from the FHSAA:

FHSAA CORONAVIRUS Update - April 20, 2020

GAINESVILLE, FL - 

Following Governor Ron DeSantis' announcement mandating schools continue distance learning for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year, it is with heavy hearts that the FHSAA has decided to cancel all FHSAA affiliated events, inclusive of the state series and all championship events, for spring sports. The safety of our student-athletes, coaches, officials, and fans is our top priority. With the evolving threat of the CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19), we must ensure that we do not contribute to the spread of this illness. We are deeply saddened for our student-athletes who have seen their seasons and/or high school careers end so abruptly. Our Association knows the impact and role high school athletics play in the lives of so many and will continue to work towards the betterment of high school sports. We know this is a trying time, but the health and safety of all is of utmost importance to this Association.

Under the guidance of the Florida Department of Education regarding grade level retention, and upon review of the Florida Statutes and FHSAA Bylaws, no additional eligibility will be granted for spring sport athletes. For clarification regarding student-athlete eligibility, click here.

To all our senior student-athletes, we thank you for dedicating your time and efforts to your school, your coaches, and your teammates. Cherish the memories you have made and embrace all that the future holds for you. While we are saddened that you are unable to compete this season, we could not be prouder to have been represented by such hard-working individuals.

Our Association is eager to reconvene all sports in the 2020-21 school year. In the meantime, we strongly encourage everyone to continue adhering to the recommendations of the CDC and your local health departments during this hiatus. Please remember to practice social distancing, frequently wash your hands and avoid touching your face. For the latest CDC updates, click here.

Still no announcement in MN, but the nice lady who takes our checks announced that she has ripped them up. Chances are somewhere between slim and none that any HS ball is being played...I have my doubts that Legion will be.

Travel team organizations are  enthusiastic about a mid, or late May start. I think they are delusional, but it's tough for them. They are doing nothing but lose money right now.

Last edited by 57special
Eokerholm posted:

is that when Little League ends and Legion takes over? Rec Ball?  Never heard of it in Texas. Son (2021) started playing  YMCA/Rec ball 10 years ago but then travel at Spring 8u/ Fall 9u.....

Before travel ball took off Legion was about all there was. An awful lot of guys played before 1990. And I can tell you from personal experience that travel ball didn’t exist at all before 1980. 

Eokerholm posted:

What is all this Legion baseball people talking about is that Little League or something? 

I've never heard of it.

Before travel ball Legion was the big thing. I played on a team that combined five high schools. We had ten future D1s and a MLB signee on our roster. Two of the D1’s signed out of college. Legion used to brag it was the path to the majors. Before travel every MLBer played Legion. 

By the time my son was playing 17u travel ball Legion was a bunch of 80 mph pusser pitchers and mediocre hitters. 

Some programs let their best players play travel and just enough Legion to be eligible for the post season. There are a handful of good teams in each state. The Legion World Series is still quality ball. But with its team territory rules no team can completely load up on pitching like a travel team. 

Eokerholm posted:

Wat is all this Legion baseball people talking about is that Little League or something? 

I've never heard of it.

not sure if you’re trolling?!?

definitely a generational and regional phenomenon. Only game in town for Hawaii kids who don’t go to the mainland during the summer and play for West coast (usually) travel teams. 
definitely a rung  below mainland travel teams, except for the one team of hs grads and college freshmen that gets together and beats everyone else’s hiney. 

Seriously, not trolling. I said I didn't know.

There is little league here, but no one plays or you don't hear much about it in Austin, TX. EVERYTHING is Travel ball and has been, like I said since 9U. Adbono mentioned it started at 13, so assumed after LL.

I grew up playing select/travel soccer in Ohio. Never got into baseball until my son tried teeball at 6/7 with the YMCA. Then he progressed to Coach Pitch at Town & County (local rec) for 2 years and then select ball at 8 and then 9U, then nothing but kid pitch travel ball at 9U.  His team MOJO, then Team Citius, was ranked #10 in the country at 11 by Travel Ball Select. We had to play up and travel to Dallas, Hou, and GA to get good competition. Austin wasn't a baseball town then. Now with PG relocating to Hutto, it definitely is picking up.

Last edited by Eokerholm

Hope I didn't offend, Eokerholm. I'm an antique.

I grew up on the mainland and played Legion in HS because, like adbono wrote, there was no travel ball in the 70s.  Legion was king of the hill and teams were aligned with a particular HS where I played.  If you weren't good enough for Legion but you still wanted to play there was the City Parks League and PONY.  Legion was 15 and older.  Babe Ruth  filled the gap between LL and Legion. PONY was an alternative in those tweener years (13-15).

Nowadays in Hawaii there are two legion seasons, summer and fall.  Travel ball is so expensive here that it really only consists of two different "organizations" taking  2-3 week road trips to tournaments up and down the west coast in late July/early August.  Kids who are really serious about their ball usually move to So Cal for the summers before jr and sr year, and play on any number of club teams that get more exposure in week than they'd get all summer if they stayed in Hawaii.  Most D3 level guys do the showcase circuits in order to advance to college ball.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.