Skip to main content

It’s not about not taking anything seriously. I’ve researched the transfer portal, we are very educated about what we are walking into which is why this conversation was even brought up.  Yeah, I think my kid will be fine because I know him and his work and I’ve seen him compete.  Did things just get harder with all these changes, yes. Did opportunities  change, yes. Do I think my kid needs to pull out of his commitment and go somewhere else because he is in over his head, no.  

Last edited by baseballhs

Baseballhs is showing a tremendous amount of restraint and humility. His kid is a highly recruited top ranked RHP in one of the top 3 baseball states in America. His national ranking is justified and his kid is a legit draft prospect. His stock is rising and with a good Sr yr in HS could have improved his stock even more. If the draft doesn’t go the way they hope he has a top 20 P5 program that would love to have him. I have seen video and barring injury he will surely be drafted at some point. 

adbono posted:

Baseballhs is showing a tremendous amount of restraint and humility. His kid is a highly recruited top ranked RHP in one of the top 3 baseball states in America. His national ranking is justified and his kid is a legit draft prospect. His stock is rising and with a good Sr yr in HS could have improved his stock even more. If the draft doesn’t go the way they hope he has a top 20 P5 program that would love to have him. I have seen video and barring injury he will surely be drafted at some point. 

I’ve seen him several times. He has what scouts are looking for, current velocity and projectability for more. 

baseballhs posted:

Really wasn’t trying to make it about my kid. Just more the conversation of potential obstacles for everyone.  And some potential upside for college players. I think the extra year for seniors makes more sense than doing it across the board for sure.

I know you weren’t. I think that was done for you. 

Go44dad posted:
adbono posted:

I’ve seen him several times. He has what scouts are looking for, current velocity and projectability for more. 

I get where BaseballHS coming from. I know a dozen or so high school kids who started the year in the rounds 1-3 range. Most, if not all, of whom worked very hard this offseason to improve their draft stock with a good spring. Now the spring has been eliminated so I understand the frustration. 

I firmly believe that their will be a draft in June. I think most teams draft boards will be based off of last fall versus this spring with a few exceptions. Some players have moved up with the limited sampling but I feel for the high school kids who have not even played one game. 

Now, obviously there are things more important than baseball but I understand how the uncertainty can make some uneasy. 

baseballhs posted:

Really wasn’t trying to make it about my kid. Just more the conversation of potential obstacles for everyone.  And some potential upside for college players. I think the extra year for seniors makes more sense than doing it across the board for sure.

I think the juniors who were going to get drafted are still going to get drafted. I think the seniors who get drafted or offered free agent deals are going to sign and start their pro careers because they don’t have a lot of leverage anyway. I don’t see the benefit of coming back (if you can sign) for seniors who are interested in pro ball. 

baseballhs posted:

I actually agree it’s an incredible mess. Just incredible and unprecedented mess. I would have punted the WS this year (due to the questions of the timeline) but tried to salvage a summer college season as a one year alternative. Draft could also be pushed back accordingly. That way, college budgets aren’t stressed any more than they already are and it creates one headache (this summer) instead of potentially a couple yrs plus all the extra expense. But no one asked me. And I certainly didn’t question your son’s ability. I’m simply speaking from experience and talking in general. As for the guy making the snarky football ratings comment. Get over yourself already. Apples and oranges and most of the conversation had to do with things other than physical tools although even they level or even out quite a bit in college. I’m simply trying to help as I was in your shoes once. As I said, enjoy the ride, however long it lasts.

hshuler posted:
baseballhs posted:

I think the juniors who were going to get drafted are still going to get drafted. I think the seniors who get drafted or offered free agent deals are going to sign and start their pro careers because they don’t have a lot of leverage anyway. I don’t see the benefit of coming back (if you can sign) for seniors who are interested in pro ball. 

You are correct. There is no value for a senior to come back if he has a chance to play pro ball and wants to. The “value” is to the senior that wants to finish his degree and/or go to grad school and now has a chance to play one more year. These are the guys that could create the roster logjam. My guess is that HCs at D1 programs are going to have mixed feelings about these guys. Some will be wanted back and some won’t. Some will have to transfer to keep playing.  Hard to imagine many getting much baseball money. 

adbono posted:
hshuler posted:
baseballhs posted:

You are correct. There is no value for a senior to come back if he has a chance to play pro ball and wants to. The “value” is to the senior that wants to finish his degree and/or go to grad school and now has a chance to play one more year. These are the guys that could create the roster logjam. My guess is that HCs at D1 programs are going to have mixed feelings about these guys. Some will be wanted back and some won’t. Some will have to transfer to keep playing.  Hard to imagine many getting much baseball money. 

Agreed! But the $64K question is who’s going to pay for that? Expanded rosters for ‘21 sounds good in theory but where’s the money coming from?

There aren’t many profitable baseball programs to start with and even those are in the red for the ‘20 season. 

Food for thought:  If a senior had the option of coming back for another year, wouldn't he be considered a "jr" in the eyes of MLB, thus he would have the same leverage as a jr?  If the player is a projected upper round draft pick, I would guess the MLB would treat him as a jr or risk not having him the next draft year.  I am probably wrong in my assumption though.

TheMaskedPlayer posted:

Food for thought:  If a senior had the option of coming back for another year, wouldn't he be considered a "jr" in the eyes of MLB, thus he would have the same leverage as a jr?  If the player is a projected upper round draft pick, I would guess the MLB would treat him as a jr or risk not having him the next draft year.  I am probably wrong in my assumption though.

I get your point but age has to be a consideration as well. In most cases, college juniors are drafted at 21. If you’re talking about a fifth year senior, possibly 23.

Theres obviously an advantage to starting short season A ball at 21 versus 23. 

hshuler posted:
TheMaskedPlayer posted:

I get your point but age has to be a consideration as well. In most cases, college juniors are drafted at 21. If you’re talking about a fifth year senior, possibly 23.

Theres obviously an advantage to starting short season A ball at 21 versus 23. 

So true.  Even if a 1st rounder on a fast track to the Bigs, still going to take a couple of years in the minors.  Now we are looking at 24 - 26 when you get your first cup of coffee.  Many may be late 20's too.

ABSORBER posted:

One more thought. Does the Junior who returns as a RS Junior (academic senior) REALLY have any leverage with MLB signing? Won't MLB know the player would have to apply and be accepted to grad school? Not to mention pay for it as well! I'm not sure the player would have ANY leverage.

In most cases, leverage to negotiate goes out of the window after year three. 

Bballsavante posted:

I figured out you can block certain people so I’ll go that route as a solution instead. This way their posts are invisible. Kind of like their baseball content in this thread. What a relief. The nerve in asking me to start a new thread for baseball talk since this has been hijacked by a select few. What is wrong with some people? Seriously.

Talk about nerve, really?  A guy with barely 100 posts telling everyone how to run the site?  Smh. We are a community. We certainly don’t always agree on everything!  But wow, just wow. This site prides itself on being supportive of the members. It’s like nothing else. I guess you just haven’t been around long enough to learn that. And to answer your question, nothing is wrong with “some people”

baseballhs posted:

It’s more about conversation. I think my kid will be fine, he’s a top 100 player. His options however, are definitely different due to this. I’m speaking as a whole.  We have a lot of friends with hs seniors obviously and I think they and the 2021s and 2022 get the brunt.  As I said, it is what it is.  I know if I had a college freshman-junior, I would see how this could be good.  Frustrating but not really losing much.

It sounds like your kid will be fine! And I am glad. Mine is a Jr.  Believe me it’s not good. Most of his teammates that are Sr will not be returning (probably all). As a Jr, he has a special relationship with the Sr class. That has been disrupted. He is missing out on the sheer joy of the brotherhood of their last season, which they will never get to have together. It’s difficult to explain. Hopefully one day your son will be able to explain it to in a better way than I am doing right now. 

Another thing. Jrs and the draft. Some of them, the non blue chippers, which may have been chosen, won’t be. They’ll be a year older next year. If they do get chosen next year, they’ll have less time in the system to make an impact. I could go on and on. But I won’t. It sucks for almost all involved. 

Our last game was Thurs., March 12th, about 1.5 hours away. The governor held a press conference that my husband and I listened to on the radio on the way. At the same time, I was learning about other school cancellations on social media.  That's when when we first realized what was going to happen. It was emotional. At the field, just before the game, we learned our school was moving to virtual classes effective immediately.  I'm so grateful our boys got to play that game as I've heard some in Georgia traveled to games that day that they didn't get to play. I took hundreds of pictures and should have taken more. The moment when our coach tells the team - our seniors' faces and body language - its a heartbreaking photo. 

Last edited by HomeField2020

The group that I am most sorry for are the college seniors. Many of them have given up the opportunity to get drafted in 2019 because they wanted to help their team or had a promise made to them about getting drafted this year. That happens. Although they may have another year of eligibility, they become a year older.

I am hoping and praying that if this year's draft occurs, college seniors get their chance.

HS senior year is special, no doubt, but for those who will go onto play in college, it's just the beginning.

TPM posted:

The group that I am most sorry for are the college seniors. Many of them have given up the opportunity to get drafted in 2019 because they wanted to help their team or had a promise made to them about getting drafted this year. That happens. Although they may have another year of eligibility, they become a year older.

I am hoping and praying that if this year's draft occurs, college seniors get their chance.

HS senior year is special, no doubt, but for those who will go onto play in college, it's just the beginning.

💔

GA schools officially closed for the year. Still no statement yet from GHSA.

Obviously the health of our population is more important. But It doesn’t mean I’m not sad for the seniors. Son (2022) is snapping back & forth with his senior teammates, commiserating with them. They had moved up to #4 in the nation in the last polls, and had a real shot at taking the state championship.

Plenty of good teams stood in their way, but it would have been a huge thrill to watch. 

NC's HS sports authority also just announced they are "optimistic" they can hold championships for winter sports (mainly basketball) and at least an abbreviated spring season. 

That seems unlikely to me.  But if sports do start up again, what about the fact that players will have been off the field for ~6 weeks (or are supposed to have been)?  My son is a pitcher.  He is doing med ball and dumbbell workouts at home and trying to stay in shape, but he's not doing any throwing.  (Our yard is less than 60'6" long, and he hates throwing with his old man now anyway because he thinks I'm too old and feeble.) (He's probably not wrong.)

How much practice time will players need to avoid injury?  To avoid having the games look like Little League?  

Chico Escuela posted:

NC's HS sports authority also just announced they are "optimistic" they can hold championships for winter sports (mainly basketball) and at least an abbreviated spring season. 

That seems unlikely to me.  But if sports do start up again, what about the fact that players will have been off the field for ~6 weeks (or are supposed to have been)?  My son is a pitcher.  He is doing med ball and dumbbell workouts at home and trying to stay in shape, but he's not doing any throwing.  (Our yard is less than 60'6" long, and he hates throwing with his old man now anyway because he thinks I'm too old and feeble.) (He's probably not wrong.)

How much practice time will players need to avoid injury?  To avoid having the games look like Little League?  

In our house the old man hates catching the LHP.   I will have a catch with him but he's got to throw at 80%.  We do have a set up that is 60ft 6 inches.  We bought a net and another 2 dozen balls for him to throw into from Dicks which is allowing curb side pick up.  The problem is he's yet to really throw into it but says today is the day. 

I hope you are able to get in at least a partial season.  Gives me more hope.  Our state is planning the same.

I don't have answers to your question but maybe his HS ,Travel or pitching coach might.

Chico Escuela posted:

I would hope all players are finding a way to throw.  My 2022 is hitting and doing J-bands everyday and doing longtoss every other day.  Husband's arm can't keep up, so Lefty takes a bucket with him to throw from the longer distances (really anything past 60ft).  We are operating under the assumption school ball is done for the year and that he needs to come out of this around June 1 (NCAA just extended dead period until May 31) bigger, faster, stonger and ready to go. With 5 years of recruiting classes on rosters it's going to get even more competitive.  Our hardest thing has been the weights. With gyms closed, it's been hard to piece together a strength workout. 

FYI: Driveline is making their 8 week throwing program for pitchers available for free. (along with other resources)  We've never done an overload/underload program before, mostly because we've never had two months without pitching that wasn't a shutdown period.  This seemed like the perfect time.  Just downloaded the PDF and ordered plyo and weighted baseballs on Amazon.   

I am expecting a drop shipment any day of all of the weights, bars, dumbbells, med balls, etc that 2022 needs to do his Cressey programming.  We are switching into off-season gains mode.  If things look likely to start up in June we will implement a ramp up throwing program in May to be ready.  By my estimation, there will be no game play before June 1 and potentially later than that.  Keeping up an in season throwing regimine for 2 plus months without competing seems pointless.

My 2021 loves his PRX Performance Rack system in the garage. Using it daily. I like the safety it provides and peace mind when he's throwing all kinds of weight and it sounds like the house is under mortar attack.

https://prxperformance.com/col...pro-with-kipping-bar

Love the safety squat bar too and it works with the system.

https://www.roguefitness.com/s...gue-safety-squat-bar

We also have TRX System & Kbands Fusion Cables also attached. 

https://www.amazon.com/TRX-ALL...002YRB35I/ref=sr_1_6

https://kbandstraining.com/kba...r-baseball-softball/

NO EXCUSE not to get a workout in!!

Gunner Mack Jr. posted:
Chico Escuela posted:
  (Our yard is less than 60'6" long, and he hates throwing with his old man now anyway because he thinks I'm too old and feeble.) (He's probably not wrong.)

In our house the old man hates catching the LHP.   I will have a catch with him but he's got to throw at 80%.  We do have a set up that is 60ft 6 inches. 

To Chico and Gunner:  It's been a while since I truly caught my son (2b/SS) at game speed. I remember we would practice on a soccer field. I would stand near the net (like a goalkeeper) in the event I didn't catch one (there were many).  He would practice his throw to 1B, and I "played a first baseman". At least the net saved me from chasing more balls.

Followup on earlier post: GHSA has now cancelled all sports for 2019-2020 school year. They remain optimistic but concerned about summer and fall, but no practices or activities until further notice.

So at this point, 2022 looks to the summer. He's lifting 5x week, hitting 5x week, and getting catcher work in 3x week at this point. I'll be honest, I'd love to see him shut down his arm for a month, if possible, just for some rest. But not sure that's prudent at this point.

Senna posted:

Followup on earlier post: GHSA has now cancelled all sports for 2019-2020 school year. They remain optimistic but concerned about summer and fall, but no practices or activities until further notice.

So at this point, 2022 looks to the summer. He's lifting 5x week, hitting 5x week, and getting catcher work in 3x week at this point. I'll be honest, I'd love to see him shut down his arm for a month, if possible, just for some rest. But not sure that's prudent at this point.

Is your son working out with someone else?  I initially suggested that my son see if his HS team's catcher wanted to go to park and do some throwing.  (I figured my son could take some throws at second to help the C out, too.)  But the authorities recently closed all the tennis courts in my county, because they decided it was a bad idea to have people each using their hands to grab the same ball.  That, plus a general lockdown order that discourages non-essential travel has convinced me my earlier plan won't really work.

Chico Escuela posted:
Senna posted:

Is your son working out with someone else?  I initially suggested that my son see if his HS team's catcher wanted to go to park and do some throwing.  (I figured my son could take some throws at second to help the C out, too.)  But the authorities recently closed all the tennis courts in my county, because they decided it was a bad idea to have people each using their hands to grab the same ball.  That, plus a general lockdown order that discourages non-essential travel has convinced me my earlier plan won't really work.

For weight training, he’s working out with his usual trainer in his basement, one-one-one. Hitting and catching he does with me at any cage we can get into. As our current county’s shelter in place ordinance allows us to leave the house to exercise (while maintaining social distancing), we feel safe doing so within those boundaries.

He was catching pens for his best friend, but they’ve stopped doing that.   

As the GA shelter in place comes in tomorrow, we will adjust as we can.

TerribleBPthrower posted:

Yes. Although I know it was extremely unlikely, we were still holding out hope they would squeeze in a short season.

I think it is smart to keep kids home the rest of the year. Besides the health situation, at this point it would be like the last week of the year every week. Teachers would all go insane and quit

Iowa HS baseball season slated to start Memorial Day as usual. Still hoping they can get something in.

Governors keep saying that if they brought kids back mid May that it's not enough time before school lets out for the year. Here's my question ‚ why does school still have to end in May? Why not bring the kids back mid May or June 1 or whatever works for the state you're in, and go for a month or so, let out for a few weeks and come back in August sometime? 

You could even have half the kids come Monday/Wednesday, half do Tuesday/Thursday, everyone do online or distance learning on Fridays.

Am I missing something or is anyone considering any of this? Should we be?

Last edited by Iowamom23

Making it official sucked.  I was holding out some hope.  We had a pretty good team and a pretty good chance to go deep in playoffs.  Hate that it was all taken away.  Trying to switch gears into what's next but at this point it is still hard to know what that is.  We are starting to open up so I really hope there are at least some showcase opportunities before school starts.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.