Skip to main content

Any Predictions or scouting reports for this district? The district now includes two Mansfield schools and the Arlington schools minus Seguin.

My Prediction:
1. Martin
2. Mansfield Summit
3. Lamar
4. Arlington or Mansfield
5. Arlington or Mansfield
6. Bowie
7. Sam Houston
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Lamarfan,

Why do you have Lamar at #3? I figured with Arnsberg and Laronde back that they could give Martin a run for their money.

As the former coach at Summit, I like seeing them up there. Their top 2 pitchers were a combined 13-4 last year with the Junior lefty going 9-2 as a soph. last year.

Mansfield has 5 starters back including their #1 pitcher from the past 2 seasons. They will be tough.
Funnel,

Lamar will be very tough. If Laronde shows improved consistency this season, Lamar could be an elite team. He has great stuff, just needs to focus on the mental approach of pitching.

I predict a dog fight between Martin, Lamar and Summit. Lamar tends to have at least one slip up every season where they lose a game they shouldn't. That is why I made the prediction that they finish 3rd.

Martin has several starters returning including the LHP, Person, who pitched well for them last season. Martin also has Ragira "sp?" who I think will be a star.

The top 5 teams in this district are all very talented and then throw in Bowie, who has several kids returning, and this district is tough top to bottom. The exception being Sam.
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar Fan 08:
Any Predictions or scouting reports for this district? The district now includes two Mansfield schools and the Arlington schools minus Seguin.

My Prediction:
1. Martin
2. Mansfield Summit
3. Lamar
6. Bowie
7. Sam Houston

I'm just glad the game is still played on the field and not predictions. I think a lot of you are going to be surprised at the end of the district play.
Vikingdad & Funnel

I am not disputing anything you guys have heard but not pitching Arnsberg creates some questions for Lamar. If Arnsberg doesn't pitch than Lamar will need some youngsters to step up in a big way this season. Arnsberg and Laronde got the bulk of the innings last season. If an Arnsberg position switch was on the horizon why didn't Lamar use some of the younger guys in the pre-season tournaments to give them some Varsity Action. The only other varsity guys returning that pitched other than Laronde and Arnsberg are Robinson who had 10-12 innings on the mound and Duncan who was the closer. This could change my predictions.
Normally the coach would tell the player where to play but there have been situations at Lamar, and other schools of course, where parents and or college coaches have had input. (I am not speaking of this particular situation. I am referencing the late 90's early 2000's at Lamar)

As far as the tournaments, I was talking about last season pre-season tournament games. We didn't really look at any sophomores. I would think if the coach had the idea of a future position switch that might keep a kid off the mound; he might get some younger guys varsity action.

Lamar does need a catcher this season. Might be a great move for Arnsberg. I am not a huge fan of the 6'5" catcher but it works for Joe Mauer of the Twins.

Screwball, any input on this situation?
Last edited by Lamar Fan 08
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
Are the inmates running the asylum again? Doesn't the coach tell the kid where to play, not vice versa? What preseason tournaments? I must be out of touch with HS sports.

"If the coach lets him catch, then he will pitch (some) otherwise he is not pitching"??? Huh???

Cool

PD... I don't think you are out of touch at all. Unfortunately nowadays parents sometimes rule where there child plays. Since Todd Van Popple got big $$$'s out of high school a few parents feel that there child is in this class and decide to play agent.

On the opposite side, my son is a senior and I have never had a conversation with his coach. I feel that it is not my place to dictate and tell him how to do his job no matter how bad I want to sometimes... lol.
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick0714:
quote:

My Prediction:
1. Martin
2. Mansfield Summit
3. Lamar
6. Bowie
7. Sam Houston

I'm just glad the game is still played on the field and not predictions. I think a lot of you are going to be surprised at the end of the district play.

Maverick is now making predictions??? PLEASE. Aren't you the same guy that went to Texas and is allowing Maverick Jr. to consider OU?

Didn't you predict UT to win the Big 12 South? Where's Lunch?

A lot of questions, HUH?
quote:
Originally posted by bball71tx:
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick0714:
quote:

My Prediction:
1. Martin
2. Mansfield Summit
3. Lamar
6. Bowie
7. Sam Houston

Maverick is now making predictions??? PLEASE. Aren't you the same guy that went to Texas and is allowing Maverick Jr. to consider OU?

Didn't you predict UT to win the Big 12 South? Where's Lunch?

A lot of questions, HUH?

I see BBALL has woken up from his 3 month hibernation...

I didn't make any preditions about the district. I knew people from OSU have problems with and understanding the english language...

Mav Jr. has been told he can go to any school in the world other than Zero U and Notre Dame..

Oh and by the way... where did OSU end up...
quote:
vikingdad,

I know it happens, it just really burns me up. Baseball is a Team sport and things like this can really handcuff a coach.

This kid has been a catcher in the past. Most of his pre-highschool years he spent catching and I think he caught on the freshman team.

My son has played against KA since age 11. I have never seen him wear catching gear. He has always been a pitcher and first baseman on his select teams. I have no knowledge about HS.

Since his dad is a pitching coach for Toronto, I'm sure that he has had numerous conversations with college and pro scouts about what is the best position for his son.

And I agree with some of the posts too. This situation happens more often than we think.
to me it is easy, tell him he is welcome to try out for the catcher spot and if he is determined to be the best catcher then he will catch. otherwise he has a spot at first and pitching. if he elects not to do that then that is his choice. appreciate his efforts in the past and good luck at ASU.

even if it ends up hurting the team for one season, the coach would earn so much respect from the team and parents it would carry over into the years ahead.

my information also tells me that even at the ASU tryout there was not alot of catching done. that is why this is really confusing to me.
quote:
Originally posted by vikingdad:
to me it is easy, tell him he is welcome to try out for the catcher spot and if he is determined to be the best catcher then he will catch. otherwise he has a spot at first and pitching. if he elects not to do that then that is his choice. appreciate his efforts in the past and good luck at ASU.

even if it ends up hurting the team for one season, the coach would earn so much respect from the team and parents it would carry over into the years ahead.

my information also tells me that even at the ASU tryout there was not alot of catching done. that is why this is really confusing to me.

This coach will do what is best for the team. Mark it down!
vikingdad,

I understand what you are saying. It is tough on the coach when he wants to do what is best for the team and the parent wants what is best for their kid. Especially if the parent is a big-leaguer and tries to "big-league" everybody.

During the tournament season, the only way a kid can play catcher and pitch is if you let him pitch the last game/day of the tournament (unless you don't give a flip and let him play catcher the day after he pitches). Well, if he is your supposed ace, then I guess you are not necessarily trying to win that tournament...and that is OK. I would bet the coach is thinking about his district schedule...Tuesday/Friday. The kid could be the starting pitcher on Tuesday, then catch on Friday...or vice versa. This way, the team still has their #1 pitcher and IF THE KID ACTUALLY EARNS THE JOB BEHIND THE PLATE, then he gets 1 game a week behind the plate. If the kid is indeed the #1 pitcher, and he is pitching, then that should be what is best for the TEAM. If the kid is the best catcher and plays catcher the other game that week, then that is what is best for the TEAM.

I think most of us would understand that situation. Problem is, there are a few parents out there that don't see it that way. "Oh coach, the cross-checker from MLB Team A can only make it on Tuesday and wants to see him catch. So, you need to juggle your rotation so that scout can watch my son."

With this situation, if you read into it too much during scrimmages and tournaments you might jump to conclusions. The answers to all your questions will be revealed when the team gets to their district schedule. I mean coach could use the tournaments to audition the kid at catcher while trying to develop some other pitchers. That is a good thing...just don't complain when they head into district with a .500 or below record.

There are so many scenarios that I could come up with. Really, that is not fair to the coach, the kid or that team.

Remember, the season is a journey, not a destination. If it were a destination, we'd all win state! Enjoy the journey!!!
quote:
Originally posted by funneldrill:
Remember, the season is a journey, not a destination. If it were a destination, we'd all win state! Enjoy the journey!!!

Well stated, FD.

The kid in question is not only a tremendous athlete, but also an excellent student.

I would wager that his intelligence, along with his athleticism, will make it an easy transition behind the plate.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.