Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by funneldrill:
Collikar,

I agree with you, the kid is without a doubt a "ballplayer." As a former scout, the left handed hitting catcher with power is something that you don't see often. It is a rare commodity indeed.

Thank you, FD!

The Great Jack Sharp's star catcher suffered an injury that needed to heal for a few games. He temporarily used one of his power hitting lefties that could put'em out even though he needed some help with proper blocking technique.

An opposing coach/ex-major leaguer in the stands commented on how he had lost respect for JS because of using a lefty behind the plate.

If you’re athletic, intelligent, and committed you can usually be successful.
Collikar

Yes.... that power hitting lefty could catch my little lefty anytime! Although I have heard Baylor will be developing him as a flame throwing closer off the mound!

FD

Alan McDougal at CHHS had three pro-dads sitting in the stands last year. I can only speak for one of them....but I would be shocked if any one of them ask for a position or playing time (even when the season went south) Coach McDougal is a man on a mission and he will not change the course!

Good Luck FD ....enjoy your commments.
quote:
Originally posted by PAW-FECT:
Collikar

Yes.... that power hitting lefty could catch my little lefty anytime! Although I have heard Baylor will be developing him as a flame throwing closer off the mound!

FD

Alan McDougal at CHHS had three pro-dads sitting in the stands last year. I can only speak for one of them....but I would be shocked if any one of them ask for a position or playing time (even when the season went south) Coach McDougal is a man on a mission and he will not change the course!

Good Luck FD ....enjoy your commments.

Not every ex-pro tries to "big-league" people. I think it comes down to the individual regardless of what their day job is. I have had a couple of ex-pros for dads and they were both great! Our philosophies were similar and they would come out from time to time and help out. But, I have seen from a distance a few that were very "meddling" and gave the HS coach alot of grief.
i have one last thought on this subject. if this kid is as good as everything thinks and he does have something worked out with ASU then why let him "transition" to behind the plate and develop his blocking skills at the expense of other kids who may not have an ASU waiting on them. The other catchers may not have been able to afford the best select teams, the best hitting instructors, the best equipment and may be hoping to make it to some JUCO if they can get playing time their senior year. Why let this kid, or his dad, take a chance away from other kids?
I guess I don't see this as a big deal. Position changes occur all the time, especially with talented athletes.

If Arnie behind the plate is better than any other catcher, whether they have caught their whole career or not, then he should be there, at least some of the time.

If he isn't better than the other catchers, he goes back to 1B/P.

It happens all the time
Last edited by tychco
Well, I can tell you what all this assumption does, but I won't.

I find it hard to believe that the Lamarr Varsity coach isn't going to field the best player at every position. Doesn't he have a contract with the district? All varsity coaches that I know are held responsible for their records/behavior and have an athletic director and or principal that hold them accountable; otherwise, they are fired, released, or put on a growth plan.
quote:
Originally posted by 11sdad:
VD,

If this kid is a college type catcher then why would the coach not catch him? If he had a college type pitcher should he not pitch him or should he let little Johnny pitch so "maybe" he can get good enough to make a Juco? Roll Eyes

I think he will do that very thing. I think the issue here is a parent/kid alledgedly making ultimatums to the coach.
quote:
quote:
VD,

If this kid is a college type catcher then why would the coach not catch him? If he had a college type pitcher should he not pitch him or should he let little Johnny pitch so "maybe" he can get good enough to make a Juco? Roll Eyes

I think he will do that very thing. I think the issue here is a parent/kid alledgedly making ultimatums to the coach.

that is the issue for me. if the kid is a "college type catcher" then fine, he should catch. but based on my knowledge he may have caught in little league some but that is it. so he is going to transition to catcher during his senior year at he expense of other kids?
as far as contracts, AD's, principles, etc. give me a break.
What kind of break are you looking for?

Are you looking for sympathy or results?

If you are result oriented, what have you done to procure said results?

Once you've obtained the knowledge you seek, what are your intentions with the information?

Answering these questions might lead you to confirmation of your point, whether it is positive or negative.
vikingdad,

I truly believe KA will turn out to be the best option at catcher. He is a good athlete and has great knowledge of the game in general. Was the situation handled properly, we will most likely never know, but I think it will be a good move for Lamar. There are several younger guys coming up from the JV that can play 1B.

Now, when KA is pitching I am not sure what they will do. Maybe catch Watkins if he plays or Hadley(SP?) who is a junior. I think it will all work out in the end and Lamar will be fine with KA on the mound once a week during district play. Now Lamar may sacrifice some Non-District games but they don't mean a whole lot anyway.
[Martin only has 3 starters returning, 4 if you count Person and 5 if you count the DH.

My money is on Lamar to win the district.]

Why wouldn't you count Person as a starter this year for Martin?

Hopefully he can duplicate and/or increase his performance from last year. I think Martin will do well this year....I've heard they have a great chemistry amoung the players returning.
Hi y'all...first post but have followed this discussion for a while now. Here are my 2 cents worth.

4-5A is going to be very competitive...lots of talent thru several teams. As far as Lamar there are a couple of players that will impact their success. One is Lewis who is a pure hitter and a senior up from Jv named Meza that can play 3rd and hit as well. Watch for Duncan. I have umped games with this kid playing for about 5 years now...he flies under the radar. Huge talent both defensively and offensively. He and Arnsberg led team in RBI...Duncan batted 7th in doing so...heard he committed to Western Michigan

Martin has the youngster Riguerra(sp?) who is also huge talent and another pure hitter in Hiller...very good backstop in Garcia (UTA) and if Person duplicates pitching of '08...they will be tough.
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger80:
Hi y'all...first post but have followed this discussion for a while now. Here are my 2 cents worth.

4-5A is going to be very competitive...lots of talent thru several teams. As far as Lamar there are a couple of players that will impact their success. One is Lewis who is a pure hitter and a senior up from Jv named Meza that can play 3rd and hit as well. Watch for Duncan. I have umped games with this kid playing for about 5 years now...he flies under the radar. Huge talent both defensively and offensively. He and Arnsberg led team in RBI...Duncan batted 7th in doing so...heard he committed to Western Michigan

Martin has the youngster Riguerra(sp?) who is also huge talent and another pure hitter in Hiller...very good backstop in Garcia (UTA) and if Person duplicates pitching of '08...they will be tough.

With Lamar or Martin guaranted to win the district I guess the other teams will have to fight for the third and fourth spots to go to the playoffs... I believe a lot of people are gonna be surprised at the pecking order at the end of the season...
Maverick0714

Your posts read like you are annoyed with reading about Martin or Lamar winning district. You have mentioned several times about how people will be surprised at the final standing. Please fill us is in if you have a different opinion. Enlighten us why Mansfield will be good. Honestly, I don't know much about the team that Mansfield will field this year. Remember, most of what is talked about on a message board is to stir up conversation. I don't think anyone is underestimating Mansfield or Summit for that matter. Both those schools have had good baseball seasons as recently as last year. So fill us in on Mansfield and or Summit.
Last edited by Lamar Fan 08
quote:
Originally posted by Casual Observer:
My guess is Maverick0714 likes the salty group of juniors at Mansfield High. Maverick0714 please tell us a little about this group and the returning seniors.

I'm really not into pumping up of one team or another. I've have know most of the players from all the schools you've mention since they were 9. I'm simply amused.

I don't know much about any "Salty Juniors" but there should be 3 starters for Mansfield that will graduate 2010. Pitchers not included
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar Fan 08:
Maverick0714

Your posts read like you are annoyed with reading about Martin or Lamar winning district. You have mentioned several times about how people will be surprised at the final standing. Please fill us is in if you have a different opinion. Enlighten us why Mansfield will be good. Honestly, I don't know much about the team that Mansfield will field this year. Remember, most of what is talked about on a message board is to stir up conversation. I don't think anyone is underestimating Mansfield or Summit for that matter. Both those schools have had good baseball seasons as recently as last year. So fill us in on Mansfield and or Summit.

Sorry you think I'm annoyed but that is not the case. I go and watch my son play but I'm not a big fan of high school baseball. I'm more into the summer teams because I believe they are much more competitive... Just my opinion...

And as I stated to CO... Im just amused not here to pump up one team or another...
quote:
Originally posted by tychco:
quote:
I was talking about position players from last year, Stew was a pitcher only that's why I didn't count him in that group.

Oh, what do you know...you are a football dad now... Big Grin

HAHA...pretty funny tychco! No sweat 11sdad....I guess I misunderstood your context. No worries! I think Person is going to be a pitcher only this year as well. From what I've heard thru the grapevine he's been working on his conditioning and mental aspects of pitching this offseason. Hopefully Rucker can pitch consistently this year....if so then they will have 3 solid pitchers with Ragira, Rucker, and Person.
Mansfield has their # 1 pitcher back, a kid that split time behind the plate and in LF, 1B, SS, and CF. If their Juniors step up then they have a chance to finish near the top of the district.

Summit returns their #1 pitcher, #3 pitcher, RF, C, a kid that was the DH for half the season, LF that started almost half the district games, and the 2B who has committed to Coastal Carolina. All the pitchers that return were a combined 17-5 last year. Add a move in from California to the mix and the Jags should compete for a playoff spot.

Summit is at a huge scheduling disadvantage. Everyone plays Sam Houston before they play Summit in district. So, every team in that district "can" rearrange their pitching so that they can throw their Ace against Summit. Of course, who they play after Summit could be a deciding factor of whether or not they will do that.
I agree with Tiger 80, "on paper" Lamar and Martin are the favorites. Arlington returns everybody but the catcher, I listed who MHS and Summit have back. When Bowie's best pitcher is on the mound, they can beat alot of people.

Only my beloved Texans are the only team without a shot for the playoffs. But, Coach Powers will get everything that he can out them.
quote:
I agree with Tiger 80, "on paper" Lamar and Martin are the favorites. Arlington returns everybody but the catcher, I listed who MHS and Summit have back. When Bowie's best pitcher is on the mound, they can beat alot of people.

Only my beloved Texans are the only team without a shot for the playoffs. But, Coach Powers will get everything that he can out them.

Fd... did you go to Sam ???
Dist 4-5A is just one dist. in the DFW area...While 4-5A has a lot of talent depth, just take a look at the number of kids playing D-1, not to mention other college levels from the DFW area. DBU rode primarily "locals" to the regionals....Baylor, TCU, UT, Rice, OU and on and on have DFWkids. It could be argued that this area is one of the top, if not the TOP geographic area for baseball. I have read or been told about a few kids from here that have been "raided" by non-traditional schools for this area. the Arnsberg kid to Ariz. St, Mizzou has grabbed a couple, and it is confirmed that the Duncan kid is at W. Mich. It is on their website. The possibilities for local kids is expanding, especially if those mentioned go away and play well.

If you really stop and think about it and if the media would get more on board, baseball recruiting in DFW could/might be providing more opportunity than...GASP!....Dare I say it(?) Football
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick0714:
quote:

Yes I did. All 3 years I was there we made the playoffs, won 1 District Title. My junior year we were 20-1 in the regular season and ranked #3 in the state going into the playoffs.

Our Bi-district that year matched us and Arlington High up against South Grand Prairie and Duncanville.

SGP was #2 in the state.
We were #3 in the state.
Duncanville was #4 in the state.
Arlington was #5 in the state.

Both series were played at the old Arlington Stadium. We beat Duncanville in 3 and Arlington beat SGP in 2.

The next week #1 Houston Waltrip lost a 1 game playoff early in the week, leaving us the highest ranked team in the state. We lost in 3 games that weekend. Arlington went on to the state tournament and lost in the semi's. If we would have had a rematch with them in the Regional Finals, it would have been back at Arlington Stadium.

I believe the eventual state champ that year was Houston Bellaire led by a P/SS named Chuck Knoblauch. However, I believe he was injured and did not play in the state tournament.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick0714:
quote:

Yes I did. All 3 years I was there we made the playoffs, won 1 District Title. My junior year we were 20-1 in the regular season and ranked #3 in the state going into the playoffs.

Our Bi-district that year matched us and Arlington High up against South Grand Prairie and Duncanville.

SGP was #2 in the state.
We were #3 in the state.
Duncanville was #4 in the state.
Arlington was #5 in the state.

Both series were played at the old Arlington Stadium. We beat Duncanville in 3 and Arlington beat SGP in 2.

The next week #1 Houston Waltrip lost a 1 game playoff early in the week, leaving us the highest ranked team in the state. We lost in 3 games that weekend. Arlington went on to the state tournament and lost in the semi's. If we would have had a rematch with them in the Regional Finals, it would have been back at Arlington Stadium.

I believe the eventual state champ that year was Houston Bellaire led by a P/SS named Chuck Knoblauch. However, I believe he was injured and did not play in the state tournament.

I was at Sam my Senior year (78) we got knocked out by Midland Lee on a very bad call. I was at DeSoto the 3 years prior and went to the state championship in (77).
I was eating at Buck-n-Loons a few Saturday nights ago (we are bi-weekly regulars there) and Coach and his wife were waiting for a table. We talked for about 30 minutes, it was great! He has alot of former players that are coaching so we were talking about everyone that is coaching and where they are at and so. Of course, the most notable Sam Houston Alumnus and former player of his is Kansas City Manager Trey Hillman.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.