Skip to main content

Yes I do, he graduated the year after I did, he could swing the bat. We were so loaded in those years he played JV as a Junior. His senior year though I think he was the leading hitter in the district...and that was a 10 team district that included Sam, Lamar, Martin, Arlington, Bell, Trinity, Haltom, Richland, Grapevine and Burleson.

I remember a cat from Thomas Jefferson, big right handed pitcher named Morris Moss. The dude had a full beard when we were 15 years old! Very intimidating, plus he threw some serious "Chedd" when we were 15-16 years old. Saw him in a tournament in Houston during the summer.
quote:
Originally posted by funneldrill:
I was eating at Buck-n-Loons a few Saturday nights ago (we are bi-weekly regulars there) and Coach and his wife were waiting for a table. We talked for about 30 minutes, it was great! He has alot of former players that are coaching so we were talking about everyone that is coaching and where they are at and so. Of course, the most notable Sam Houston Alumnus and former player of his is Kansas City Manager Trey Hillman.

Trey and I send emails to each other from time to time. Really a great guy... Wish he could have been the Rangers Head Coach...
quote:
Originally posted by 24'sdad:
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick0714:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I agree with Tiger 80, "on paper" Lamar and Martin are the favorites. Arlington returns everybody but the catcher, I listed who MHS and Summit have back. When Bowie's best pitcher is on the mound, they can beat alot of people.

Only my beloved Texans are the only team without a shot for the playoffs. But, Coach Powers will get everything that he can out them.

Fd... did you go to Sam ???

Yes I did. All 3 years I was there we made the playoffs, won 1 District Title. My junior year we were 20-1 in the regular season and ranked #3 in the state going into the playoffs.

Our Bi-district that year matched us and Arlington High up against South Grand Prairie and Duncanville.

SGP was #2 in the state.
We were #3 in the state.
Duncanville was #4 in the state.
Arlington was #5 in the state.

Both series were played at the old Arlington Stadium. We beat Duncanville in 3 and Arlington beat SGP in 2.

The next week #1 Houston Waltrip lost a 1 game playoff early in the week, leaving us the highest ranked team in the state. We lost in 3 games that weekend. Arlington went on to the state tournament and lost in the semi's. If we would have had a rematch with them in the Regional Finals, it would have been back at Arlington Stadium.

I believe the eventual state champ that year was Houston Bellaire led by a P/SS named Chuck Knoblauch. However, I believe he was injured and did not play in the state tournament.

I was at Sam my Senior year (78) we got knocked out by Midland Lee on a very bad call. I was at DeSoto the 3 years prior and went to the state championship in (77).

I was at Duncanville 76-79 and remember DeSoto very well. Garnett,Nix,Lawrence,Keasler etc...
I still see alot of the guys I played with from Duncanville.

Wow... bringing back the memories now.. David Nix is my cousin and his twin sons graduated from Keller. Brad Garnett was the 3rd player picked in the 78 draft by Pittsburg. One of the greatest atheletes I've ever seen. Third player picked and he got $70k for signing. My how times have changed.

We went to state in 77 being in 3A and Duncanville was there in 4A... We both lost.
At Martin..Tues, Mar 3, 2009
....................R..H..E
L.D. Bell..2031040..10 7 7
Martin.....7100003..11 10 4

Pitching - L.D. Bell
Pitch: K.Bartsch, B.Adams(2), Z.Worrell(4)
Catch: H.Lockwood

Pitching - Arl Martin
S.Person - 3.3IP 4H 5R 4BB 2K
D.Rucker(came in 4th), T.Rizzotti (6)
Catch: D.Garcia (batted 4-4)

WP: Rizzotti (2-0)
LP: Worrell

Batting
L.D. Bell..2B: C.Spradlin
Martin.....2B: J.Hiller 3, D.Garcia 2

Martin won this game in walkoff fashion. CF Hiller was walked to load the bases--he had 3 doubles in this game. SS Jensen came up next with 1 out in the bottom of the 7th and he stroked a shot to RCF to clear the bases and win the game.
quote:
Originally posted by 17sbigbrother:
At Martin..Tues, Mar 3, 2009
....................R..H..E
L.D. Bell..2031040..10 7 7
Martin.....7100003..11 10 4

Pitching - L.D. Bell
Pitch: K.Bartsch, B.Adams(2), Z.Worrell(4)
Catch: H.Lockwood

Pitching - Arl Martin
S.Person - 3.3IP 4H 5R 4BB 2K
D.Rucker(came in 4th), T.Rizzotti (6)
Catch: D.Garcia (batted 4-4)

WP: Rizzotti (2-0)
LP: Worrell

Batting
L.D. Bell..2B: C.Spradlin
Martin.....2B: J.Hiller 3, D.Garcia 2

Martin won this game in walkoff fashion. CF Hiller was walked to load the bases--he had 3 doubles in this game. SS Jensen came up next with 1 out in the bottom of the 7th and he stroked a shot to RCF to clear the bases and win the game.

Total errors 11 ??? is that correct? Very unlike both of these teams...
[Total errors 11 ??? is that correct? Very unlike both of these teams...]

Yea, that is correct. I believe LD Bell had 3 errors in the first. LD Bell's outfield was a bit suspect but it is early in the season. Two of Martin errors were from SS and Pitcher trying to make a difficult play and ended up with throwing errors that led to 4 runs. If you look back at Martin's previous 5 games....they are averaging about 3 errors a game. Yea, I know....very unlike either team.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by tychco:
Mansfield can swing it with anyone. Should be a team to watch throughout this season.

Thanks Tycho... I believe we caught JNW on an off day.

Unfortunately, Northwest has had more than one off day, but the new coach is juggling kids around to see what works. Hopefully by the start of district play, he finds it.
quote:
quote:
quote:
Mansfield can swing it with anyone. Should be a team to watch throughout this season.

Thanks Tycho... I believe we caught JNW on an off day.

Unfortunately, Northwest has had more than one off day, but the new coach is juggling kids around to see what works. Hopefully by the start of district play, he finds it.

Looks like JNW has some talent just a matter of putting it all together... Kinda same with us.

I hope TC has a good year. I got an email from Sam this morning and he is looking forward to the summer.
Yes, Northwest has better talent than the previous two seasons...there have been good signs this year...just need more of them.

Good luck to TM as well. It looks like he hit very well over the weekend.

Sam seems pretty pumped since he sends out emails every few days. Should be a fun summer, but it will have to wait.
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar Fan 08:
Mav,

He is doing some catching...He has split his time between catching and playing first, when he is not pitching.

Glad to see Mansfield doing so well. This district is shaping up to be strong from top to bottom. Even Sam is winning some games, which is great for those boys.

Glad to hear that. Sounds like he is doing well. This is going to be a fun few weeks. Seems all the teams can beat anyone on a given night. Really should be some great ballgames.
Non-district (Saturday, Mar 21, 2009)
.............R H E
Grapevine - 5 7 1
Arl Martin - 3 6 2

Pitching
Grapevine
Pit: Sam Martin, Randy Vaughn (4), Brett Hightower (6), Scott Slusher (7)
Cat: Domininck Milo
Martin
Pit: Tyler Wilhelm, Stewart Person
Cat: Daniel Garcia

WP: Martin (4-0)
LP: Wilhelm (2-2)

Batting
Grapevine
2B: Dominick Milo
HR: Chase Thompson
Martin - no extra base hits

This was an excellent game to watch with some incredible weather on Saturday. The 4th inning was when everything happened. After the umpire missed an obivious pick-off by Martin, Chase Thompson hit the ver next pitch over the wall. To be honest, the Martin coach should pulled Wilhelm and put in Stewart Person to begin the 4th since Wilhelm was already starting to struggle in the 3rd inning. After he brought in Stewart Person in with 2 outs in the 4th, he pitched 3 1/3 scoreless innings with 1 hit and 5k's (he struck out the first 4 batters he saw).

Martin made a lately rally on pitcher Scott Slusher. The first batter, Kyle Blackwell, hozed a single but that was the end of it. After that, Slusher threw over to first base probably 10 times before picking off Blackwell(on another bad call). The next batter, Tanner Hapeman was hit by pitch and then Slusher began throwing over to first another 10 times without pitchinig to batter and eventually picked off the runner again. Smart coaching by the Grapevine coach. Kudos to the Grapevine team for a well played game!
quote:
Non-district (Saturday, Mar 21, 2009)
.............R H E
Grapevine - 5 7 1
Arl Martin - 3 6 2

Pitching
Grapevine
Pit: Sam Martin, Randy Vaughn (4), Brett Hightower (6), Scott Slusher (7)
Cat: Domininck Milo
Martin
Pit: Tyler Wilhelm, Stewart Person
Cat: Daniel Garcia

WP: Martin (4-0)
LP: Wilhelm (2-2)

Batting
Grapevine
2B: Dominick Milo
HR: Chase Thompson
Martin - no extra base hits

This was an excellent game to watch with some incredible weather on Saturday. The 4th inning was when everything happened. After the umpire missed an obivious pick-off by Martin, Chase Thompson hit the ver next pitch over the wall. To be honest, the Martin coach should pulled Wilhelm and put in Stewart Person to begin the 4th since Wilhelm was already starting to struggle in the 3rd inning. After he brought in Stewart Person in with 2 outs in the 4th, he pitched 3 1/3 scoreless innings with 1 hit and 5k's (he struck out the first 4 batters he saw).

Martin made a lately rally on pitcher Scott Slusher. The first batter, Kyle Blackwell, hozed a single but that was the end of it. After that, Slusher threw over to first base probably 10 times before picking off Blackwell(on another bad call). The next batter, Tanner Hapeman was hit by pitch and then Slusher began throwing over to first another 10 times without pitchinig to batter and eventually picked off the runner again. Smart coaching by the Grapevine coach. Kudos to the Grapevine team for a well played game!

Good thing the umpires favored Grapevine. Sounds like they would have never won without their help.
quote:
Good thing the umpires favored Grapevine. Sounds like they would have never won without their help.

My bad...didn't mean to make the story sound like it was all the umpires fault. I'm not discounting the homerun at all by Grapevine. Instead of a 3-run homer it might have only been a 2-run homer. Or who's say what would have happened on the next pitch had the pickoff occured. Grapevine played a good sound game. Martin had it's chances to win the game....maybe a few calls go their way and the outcome is different and maybe it's not. We could sit here all day and say shoulda, coulda, woulda if this happened. Bad calls happen in all sports.....perservering thru those calls are what make good teams great!
quote:
quote:

My bad...didn't mean to make the story sound like it was all the umpires fault. I'm not discounting the homerun at all by Grapevine. Instead of a 3-run homer it might have only been a 2-run homer. Or who's say what would have happened on the next pitch had the pickoff occured. Grapevine played a good sound game. Martin had it's chances to win the game....maybe a few calls go their way and the outcome is different and maybe it's not. We could sit here all day and say shoulda, coulda, woulda if this happened. Bad calls happen in all sports.....perservering thru those calls are what make good teams great!

Excellent words. I don't know how many times I've seen a bad call send a team into a downward spiral. It seems once that happens they concentrate on the call rather than playing the rest of the game.
Maverick0714,

I have noticed the Mansfield scouts you guys have sent our way the last couple of games. Look forward to playing you guys Friday because it appears to go a long way with how the District Race will play out. Are you guys going to use Lane tomorrow night against Martin or are you going to save him for us? You all have 3 big games in a row like we do. Should be a fun couple of weeks of baseball and the district standings will start to sort itself out.
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar Fan 08:
Maverick0714,

I have noticed the Mansfield scouts you guys have sent our way the last couple of games. Look forward to playing you guys Friday because it appears to go a long way with how the District Race will play out. Are you guys going to use Lane tomorrow night against Martin or are you going to save him for us? You all have 3 big games in a row like we do. Should be a fun couple of weeks of baseball and the district standings will start to sort itself out.

Your right it should be some great matchups. My son has played with a bunch of the guys from Martin and Lamar since coach pitch. I believe the parents are going to be more nervous than the kids...

I think Lane is on the hill tomorrow night against Martin but don't quote me. I haven't a clue who will go against Lamar.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.