Skip to main content

Here is my two cents:

Gatewood has done a GREAT JOB since taking over The Bulldogs! This year no exceptions. A team with no proven pitchers and a bunch of 5'9" 150lb players having a chance to finish 3rd is unbelievable. Winning 3 district championships(all as the top seed) and remember he took over for someone who felt The Bronco program was going to be much better than The Bulldogs!
nothing against your coach
thought he did a good job of protecting his pitcher when he went out to talk to umpire to allow him extra warm ups.
this was the fisrt time i have seen mckinney play, so all i know is what i have heard around at other games. maybe what i heard was about coaches at the other mckinney schools. sometimes you hear a story and all is said is something like "that coach in mckinney". I try to watch games around the area, and sometimes people get their facts mixed up, so i pay little attention to other people's opinoon about coaches, as a lot of thimes the can be based on whether one's child is getting to play or not.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morgan:
Here is my two cents:

Gatewood has done a GREAT JOB since taking over The Bulldogs! This year no exceptions. A team with no proven pitchers and a bunch of 5'9" 150lb players having a chance to finish 3rd is unbelievable. Winning 3 district championships(all as the top seed) and remember he took over for someone who felt The Bronco program was going to be much better than The Bulldogs!

I must disagree with this one. Ladd was more then a proven starter last season, if I'm not mistaken (OP let me know) Ladd had better numbers than Lackie last season. If not better, they were very good. North also has 5 returning starters, all quality players. This is Gatewood's first go around without several D-1 type players on his roster. If they don't win the last 2 games, it will most likely be a 5th place finish. Just because he came from University of Alabama does not make him a great coach.JMO
Sure Ladd pitched well last season and is a good pitcher, but he didn't have to face the best teams last season. Lackie faced most of the better teams. Who said any thing about Gatewood being a great coach because he came from The University of Alabama. Look at what The Bulldogs have accomplished the last 3 seasons. Last year some people didn't have them making the playoffs - What did they do - #1 seed. Everyone had MHS winning the district easily. I think they had only 1 postion to fill from the previous year. Three very very good and proven pitchers coming back in Baker, Lee, and Moore(this doesn't include Lipka). North had Lackie, Ladd(who was unproven)and Ryan Hughes(also unproven). On paper MHS had better hitters. I think Gatewood does a GREAT JOB because of his HS results not because of Alabama.
Unfortunately I do drink... crazy Just waking from that drunken stupor. My dang head hurts. Thought my balls would but since I don't have any.....oh well. Hewhoisthenonuttedwonder has to chime in once again..... Ro.....oops! I mean AF, my apologies sir. Not sure what tagging is but if I tagged you, please accept my apology. My comment was only reference to the "genius" connotation bestowed by you upon someone else.Not a reference to you in general. Trying not to tag, you know. That's what made me laugh and choke.... JMO

Nothing in particular makes a great or bad coach. However, those close to any particular coach can be blind to what is right in front of them. And to no fault of their own I might add. That's what sparked my very 1st comment on this site. "Sometimes folks can't see the forest for the trees". I do think coaches win and lose more games based on their decisions than players do. Just like we all do in our own respective careers, every coach is going to make decisions on and "off" the field that will effect how his team does and also how he is perceived. Most are good-some are bad. Those that minimize the bad decisions, are the successful ones. Those that use good ethical philosophy in all phases of the game are ultimately rewarded. Those that don't, get bit in the arse eventually. That's why I got choked.You have to see the meadow on the other side of the woods.If your standing behind a tree, you can't see it.

Hewhoisalwayswatchingandobservingandhaslilittybittyballsandalwayscallsablackkettleblacknotapotablackkettle
quote:
Originally posted by hewhoknows:
Unfortunately I do drink... crazy Just waking from that drunken stupor. My dang head hurts. Thought my balls would but since I don't have any.....oh well. Hewhoisthenonuttedwonder has to chime in once again..... Ro.....oops! I mean AF, my apologies sir. Not sure what tagging is but if I tagged you, please accept my apology. My comment was only reference to the "genius" connotation bestowed by you upon someone else.Not a reference to you in general. Trying not to tag, you know. That's what made me laugh and choke.... JMO

Nothing in particular makes a great or bad coach. However, those close to any particular coach can be blind to what is right in front of them. And to no fault of their own I might add. That's what sparked my very 1st comment on this site. "Sometimes folks can't see the forest for the trees". I do think coaches win and lose more games based on their decisions than players do. Just like we all do in our own respective careers, every coach is going to make decisions on and "off" the field that will effect how his team does and also how he is perceived. Most are good-some are bad. Those that minimize the bad decisions, are the successful ones. Those that use good ethical philosophy in all phases of the game are ultimately rewarded. Those that don't, get bit in the arse eventually. That's why I got choked.You have to see the meadow on the other side of the woods.If your standing behind a tree, you can't see it.

Hewhoisalwayswatchingandobservingandhaslilittybittyballsandalwayscallsablackkettleblacknotapotablackkettle

Huh.........

It just downed on me, no guy would be called to put his name up and not do it. I'm thinking you are a mom, in which case I feel bad for picking on you. I'm really sorry, I will leave you alone from this point forward. Enjoy the game tonight, and don't forget to turn off the curling iron before you leave the house.
Last edited by Robert S.
Putting my skirt on.... should I shave my legs or not? Hum.... well come on out and look for the hairiest legged woman there. Again, you don't get it do you? I'm not and have not dogged [B]you. I have only questioned :
1.) When you didn't want to give North their props. I congratulated MHS. Do you not want to show some love? Your implication, as the way I read, was that their success has been a fluke. NOT
2.)Just as you have questioned or commented, I questioned your choice of succesful coaches.
Posted April 23, 2009 04:59 PM Hide Post
Dang, that McKinney coach is a STINK'N GENIUS!!!!

_____Gatewood..... Give me a break

"When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight....Air Force" ______________________________________________

Can you not take it as well as dish it out? Who else do you not like? Have you ever actually met the man? I dare say not. I've met both of them and I think you know where I'm leaning -JMO( to quote you again)

By the way, momma doesn't wear her feelings on her sleeves( oops, I mean blouse)
quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe':
In the case of a 3-way tie:All 3 flip a coin. Winner gets bye and automatic playoff spot. The other 2 play(loser goes home). The winner of that game then plays the 1st flip winner for seeding of 3rd and 4th. No one is automatically in in a 3-way scenario. You throw head to head out the window.

I got my info from the McKinney coach, he could be wrong, but I'll stick with my original statement.
3 way tie with no dominant team then all will flip a coin and odd man out is really in. The other two will play with the winner playing or flipping for the seeding. Robert, why so harsh on Gatewood? He has proven that he is a great coach as I explain earlier. Price is a good coach also but if you look at what both have accomplished then the edge goes to Gatewood.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morgan:
3 way tie with no dominant team then all will flip a coin and odd man out is really in. The other two will play with the winner playing or flipping for the seeding. Robert, why so harsh on Gatewood? He has proven that he is a great coach as I explain earlier. Price is a good coach also but if you look at what both have accomplished then the edge goes to Gatewood.

If you include this year, I think their accomplishments are even, I don't see a distinct advantage one way or the other. I'm not going to lie, I have my reason why I don't care for Gatewood the person, I will not put it on this site. If you care to know you can send me a PM. I think Gatewood has done exactly what has been expected at North. Up until this year he has had a plethera of talent. This year he has had less dominant talent, ie: Lackie, Nico, Appleby, etc. But he has a solid core of players with varsity experience and good high school talent and they are 1 loss from not making the playoffs. I'll try and not be harsh, but he should not be awarded "great" status on his accomplishments to this point. IMHO
I think it is pretty safe to say that Gatewood and Price are pretty good high school coaches when they have the talent. However, in Price's first year, I think his team was the "team to beat" in the conference. They couldn't beat North and darn near got run ruled in the second game only to make a comeback when down to 1 out. Gatewood wasn't at North then, but Price was at MHS. I don't think it was so much Milam's or Price's coaching... it was the players on the field... much like it is on many Friday nights. It is nice to see that Coach Price has stopped acting/coaching as though he had that chip on his shoulder. I actually enjoy watching McKinney play again.
Robert - What about last year? MHS had all the talent coming back(Baker, Lee and Moore) only replaced 1 starter from the previous year. North was picked to finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th. They ended the year with the #1 seed. When has Coach Price had a team that wasn't expected to make the playoffs finish as the #1 seed? MHS was expected to be district champs this season and they were. Also, it should tell you something when Coach Milam left North. He didn't think the talent was going to be good enough to win 3 more district championships.??
Last edited by Joe Morgan
Neither.... I think, like most coaches, it was the opportunity to "do it again". Milam took a new program and built it into one of the best in the state in 4 yrs. The opportunity to do the same thing again and not even have to move was too enticing to pass up. The perks( new facilities, strong booster potential) only sweetened the pot.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.