Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My Prediction for District 9-4A is:
1. Sherman - Appears to have the most returning talent.
2. McKinney - Best Pitching in the District - The Three L's (Lee, Lipka, Levins) are solid. Not much else.
3. McKinney North - Going to be s****** and tough to beat as always.
4. Centennial - Very young & inexperienced. Lost their best player for the entire season - Mossakowski
5. Frisco - May surprise a few and will be strong fundamentally.
6. Frisco Liberty - ??
7. Frisco Wakeland - ??
8. Dennison - ??
LHP,

I too have heard some good things about Wakeland and agree that they may be a good sleeper pick for one of the top 4 playoff spots in District 9-4A. It was just that I do not know much about the Wakeland, Liberty and Dennison Teams but would be interested in hearing from folks that have some insight. It sure seems to me that this is a down year for District 9-4A but am looking forward to the coming Season just the same. Only 35 Days till our first scrimmage game!
OP,

I agree that North will likely be competing for the 2009 9-4A District Championship as always however I do think they will fall behind McKinney and Sherman this year. North will once again have solid pitching however as I told Nico last night it will be nice not having to face North with either him or Matt in the line-up. Of course since North lost Nico Taylor 6'5" and Matt Lackie 6'4", North may be fielding the shortest line-up in District 9-4A. But those munchkins will play solid small ball with above average defense so McKinney and Sherman better not take them lightly or the #6th consecutive district championship just might wind up with the Bulldogs once again!
Last edited by Badman
Badman,

You are so right about North having a very small team. Most of the team is anywhere from 5'6"-5'10". They know how to play the game though and I'll put Jim Gatewood up against anybody from a coaching standpoint, so they'll definitely be S C R A P P Y.

Let's don't forget that McKinney has shared the district crown with North the last 2 years. With the talent they have in Lee and Lipka alone, they will be the team to beat in my opinion. They are 2 of the top 20 players in the country for their age group. They will be a force to be reckoned with without a doubt.

I know nothing about Sherman. I know when Danny Florence was the head guy there, they were extremely competitive year after year, so I doubt much has changed.

North scrimmaged Frisco Wakeland before the playoffs started. We thumped them pretty good, but they were very solid and didn't lose much from what I can remember.

Too bad Boyd had to move up to 5A. They made things in McKinney much more interesting from a baseball standpoint.

It should be fun.

Louisiana Lafayette opens the season with a 4 game series against the Nebraska Cornhuskers in Louisiana on February 20th. That's what I'm really looking forward to right now though!!

Good luck to everyone!
Last edited by Old Pitcher
Robert,

Thankfully you and OP have supplied some input to the 9-4A Thread, otherwise this thing might have died. I am not sure why we are not seeing any inputs from parents that do still have boys playing in this District. It has been very quiet so far and I am kind of disappointed that we have not seen more inputs but hopefully it will increase as tryouts are just around the corner.
I think our boys names are on some lists there that still give us some rights......................

And, I have a senior nephew at North that I will be following.

McKinney, Sherman, Denison, & and Frisco all rich in traditions from long ago just watered down a little from a community perspective now with the increase in high schools.

And, now there are great inter city high school rivalries.

Both of my boys have played for Price and Gatewood, and I know they'll have a solid teams.

It won't be long before two of the district teams will be bucking up against Poteet with their shirts off and Highland Park and their newspapers in the playoffs.

Bless their hearts, that ought to get it going...........

Now, OP has an opening series with Nebraska to look forward.

Fun, ain't it?
Last edited by FormerObserver
I went up to the frisco Plano west scrimmage to watch the defending state champs and frisco surprised me. Blum and hubert both threw and hubert got taken out early. I think frisco might have actually won. With Scott cook coaching and strong seniors like gray and cook both hitting well. Also they have drew dyer and a sophmore coming in, I think Tyler sibley's little brother both who hit multiple extra base hits against west. I think frisco should be in the coversation, what do you think?
Ryan Adams should be great defensively in the outfield for the Raccoons. Also, Chris Cordova could be a pitcher to watch out for come districts. If he matures and learns to pitch at the varsity level he has great command and should surprise some teams. Brock Corum should be the starting shortstop and he should be a consistent hotter as well. Those three players are all juniors with this being their first year on varsity with the exception of Corum. The returning varsity players from last year are Gavin Gray, Austin Cook, Drew Dyer, Brandon Mitchell and Brantley Carroll. Tony Girard and Brock Corum were partial varsity players last year as well.
I am new to this site and I am just testing this out. I have enjoyed reading all these comments and plan to be on here frequently.

I have a question, is McKinney the only school in the district that plays all their Friday night games on the road? (The last Friday game is home, rest on the road)

Seems odd to me, not saying good or bad....
We ran into the same thing in District 5-5A. Northwest has 2 Friday night home games and Grapevine doesn't get any. That means other teams are getting 5 or 6 Friday home district tilts. Friday nights are the best attended games and usually results in increased concession sales.

Disappointing they couldn't find a way to balance that better, but scheduling is a b*&^%...I mean a bear and I wouldn't volunteer to do it.
DD,

Just remember 3 bloop hits look like 3 line drives in the box score! A 3 hit night is still a 3 hit night and a very good night that is baseball. Who pitched for Sherman and Frisco? Did Blalock and Powell both pitch in that game for Sherman? Was the errors caused by the weather or just sloppy play. Our game against North had very good weather until the bottom of the 6th until about 2 minutes after Ty Crump hit a BOMB (Grand Salami) off one of the Titan Relievers. North scored 4 runs in the bottom of the 6th to erase a 3 run deficit. Crump's Bomb was still going up when it left the ballpark and may have landed in Sherman! After the Bomb, the wind starting blowing "IN" hard and the temperature dropped 10-15 degrees. The last few innings were tough to play as our game went into extra innings and the weather really changed.
Anyone have the results of the Frisco - Dennison Game last Night? That is the only 9-4A Game that has not had the results posted yet.

It sounds like the McKinney vs McKinney North Game was also a great game. Congrats to Jake Smith on hitting another Bomb. The District Standings for 2nd-5th Place sure has bunched up. McKinney is looking very strong early on as expected they have some great pitching and now their bats are heating up. Hopefully Centennial can make a game of it Friday night as I expect it to be another good pitching match-up between a couple of very good Juniors as Lee vs Dzurisin/Nelson.
Any opinions on how this district will shake out?

There are a few minor surprises but as most predicted this is a very tight race and in my opinion a very good district that will do well in the playoffs.

Sherman 7-2
McKinney 7-2
Frisco Wakeland 6-3
Frisco Centennial 6-3
McKinney North 5-4
Frisco Liberty 3-6
Frisco 2-7
Denison 0-9

Sherman vs Centennial tonight, then McKinney vs North and Wakeland vs Sherman on Friday will be big games in determining which four make the playoffs.
I agree, Lee has only given up 1 hit in his last 2 starts. North and Sherman both have good pitching too. McKinney will need to do a better job of stringing hits together to win these games. (Getting the bunt down and doing the little things that win tight games)

This district will come down to the last week not only for who wins it but which teams get into the playoffs as well.
Been hanging around for a while and thought I'd finally give posting a shot. 9-4A is really heating up, it should be a tight last half of district. In response to 7-2 PO, I agree that MHS has a tough schedule remaining and their games with North are always exciting and fun but I would think North will see Zach Lee on Friday. Not to take anything away from any pitcher in the district but from past experiencesof my son playing against him he is far and away the top pitcher in the district, probably was last year as a sophomore. I think North might have their hands full. But hey thats why we play the game. I'll be anxious to see the score friday night and good luck to all teams.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 7-2 PO:
When was the last time North lost three in a row at home? When was the last time MHS swept North in district? When was the last time North lost to MHS at home?
----------------------------------------------------
And.....When was the last time North didn't have Bolsinger, Appleby or Lackey facing MHS???????
quote:
Originally posted by Robert S.:
When was the last time North lost three in a row at home? When was the last time MHS swept North in district? When was the last time North lost to MHS at home?
And.....When was the last time North didn't have Bolsinger, Appleby or Lackey facing MHS???????

North can never be counted out with the likes of Paris Jr. College signee Scharf and Ladd pitching.
quote:
Originally posted by 7-2 PO:
quote:
Originally posted by Robert S.:

Robert,

I didn't ask the question to antagonize.

Let me ask you the question this way, and maybe you can provide the answer. Did North ever lose three in a row at home, been swept in district by MHS, or lost at home to MHS before Bolsinger, Appleby or Lackey played with North?

----------------------------------------------------Sorry, not ducking the question, just been away from the computer. The answer is no, there was no North before those guys. North has only been around about 7 years.

Also, I'll be away from here all day Thursday, watching #1 son play Kansas Weslyan in a double header in Salina. WinkSee you Friday, here's to good weather.
Last edited by Robert S.
quote:
Originally posted by Outsider:
There was a North prior to those guys. That was when MHS was 5A, North was 4A. They won their district by going undefeated. Pitchers were Laster, Torre, and Gunter. Lost in the 3rd round to HP and Kershaw.

That is correct, but his original question was concerning a sweep of MHS over North. To sweep, one must play twice, like in district.The year North played in the Sherman/Denison district and MHS was 5A they didn't play twice.
Hewhoisashamedtousehisrealname,
I would like to clearify my point. If you read this thread, it was about MHS's chance to sweep North. Because it has never happened, doesn't mean it couldn't. My argument was, because of how good North's pitching has been in the past, MHS has never swept North. Or even beaten them at North, ever. Not to take anything away from Ladd or Scharf, but at this stage of their HS careers, niether one is a Bolsinger, Appleby or Lackey. No doubt North has had the better of it to this point, but that is not what started this banter.
Me a pot stirrer....never. Just an observationist. I don't blame the Lions for wanting to live in the now, the past has definitely been regrettable. As I mentioned, I just find it amusing from the "new" MHS parents( meaning those that don't have a long past with MHS)who in the recent past have found it difficult to swallow the dominance at the hands of the Bulldogs. Displaying signs and t-shirts such as the original or only school in McKinney. The funny thing is that from the 2008 North team, there were at last count 13-14 parents who were MHS graduates. Not sure if there were any MHS graduates counted among the "new" Blue and Gold throng.Lots of blue and gold blood shed from the North fans.
9-4A
School Name District Season
Sherman 8-2 21-3-1
McKinney 8-2 13-8
Frisco Wakeland 7-3 15-5
McKinney North 6-4 12-6
Frisco Centennial 6-4 13-8
Frisco Liberty 3-7 9-12
Frisco 2-8 7-16
Denison 0-10 3-12-1

And I don't blame you for bringing up the past, as you can see above, without a couple of wins it might be 5th place and calling to get a T-time.
Last edited by Robert S.
My point was that North fans( again from my observation) accept what happens. There was nothing in what I said that was meant to be a dig at the Blue and Gold. They all wish the Lions well in every game of the season except 2. I don't think there is reciprocity from the other side. The outward appearance from that side is that they would like to see the demise of North (and Boyd for that matter) in all games and all sports. I have never understood that feeling of entitlement. Again, I may be wrong. Just an observation.
If you look at your own posts, it appears there is always a sense antagonism among them. Just finally someone here trying to calm you down. Good luck to both teams tonight(weather permitting).
You really don't need to calm me down. I don't have a dog in the fight any longer, at least not until football starts. So I can get on here and stir it all I want, my wife doesn't read this now. Wink

It is also much easier on game day, I sleep fine after a loss now.

As far as rooting against North, ya, I think that goes on. But it probably has a lot to do with North's 2 or 3 year run of success in all sports over MHS and Boyd. That and of corse, the FREAKING horns. Mad
Last edited by Robert S.
quote:
I don't blame the Lions for wanting to live in the now, the past has definitely been regrettable. As I mentioned, I just find it amusing from the "new" MHS parents( meaning those that don't have a long past with MHS)who in the recent past have found it difficult to swallow the dominance at the hands of the Bulldogs. Displaying signs and t-shirts such as the original or only school in McKinney. The funny thing is that from the 2008 North team, there were at last count 13-14 parents who were MHS graduates. Not sure if there were any MHS graduates counted among the "new" Blue and Gold throng.Lots of blue and gold blood shed from the North fans.

I am not sure what you are trying to say there hewhoknowscrap. I think you need to re-think what dominance means. I would not call MHS and MNHS being co-district champs and splitting series in '07 and '08 dominance. North has a great program with great coaching and great players. (They both have the same results in playoffs the past two years as well)

I for one can tell you that I think a good cross-town rivalry make the competition even better. Why should MHS like North? (Do you need a hug?) Dominance or not North is the other McKinney team in our district and we want to beat you. (That is how is should be)
Once again... RS reiterates my point about the Lion faithful in general. He has to go above and beyond and point out "one upmanship". On the other hand, I have seen, heard, and been witness to the desire ampng North fans for the Lions to do well. That feelinf is not reciprocal. You, Lionpop, are exactly correct as you should be. You should hope that the Lions finish 1st as the Dog fans feel they should finish first. But most Lion fans don't want to see the Bulldogs finish 2nd. They would like them down in the pask somewhere. That feeling is what I don't understand. I assure you no one needs a hug from our side. As I said earlier, we accept things as they are and we take our hats off to the Lions for gaining the upper hand this year. Also Lionpop, I never mentioned anything about dominance. I was referring to the conrinuity of success experienced by the dawgs over the last 5 yrs. That CANNOT be denied. And you are absolutely correct, it is a tribute to the coaches and players they have had over the years. I think this year is no exception. I challenge anyone to disagree with me on the fact that the 2009 Bulldogs have actually overachieved so far this year based upon what thet had coming back. They had MIGHTY shoes to fill. And I think the players that have stepped in have filled them beyond many peoples' expectations. To top it off, their destiny is still in their hands. They still have a chance to qualify for their 6th playoff appearance in a row. Not many teams around can say that in any classification.
pardon all the typos. I didn't have my glasses on when i was typing my reply. Also, 1 other clarification. When I used the term dominance, i didn't mean domination of the Lions. As you said Lionpop, it has been pretty evenly split the last 2 years. Although, the Dogs have had the good fortune of obtaining the 1s seed in district both of those years by winning the "seeding" game. I was referring to a dominance( maybe consistency would be a better choice) of dstrict titles. 5 in a row cannot be denied and a total of 10 distruct losses in those 5 yrs. I'll put those up against anyone in the state. If MHS goes on that same kind of run, my hat will be off to them. Will that feeling be mutual? I can live with the answer.
hewhoknows - Maybe I don't hear what you are hearing but I have been going to McKinney baseball games since '97 and I don't get the same feeling about MHS not wanting North to do good. As I said earlier, North has a great program and the way I see it is the McKinney players and coaches look to the North game/games as measuring stick for how good they are.

If MHS and MNHS are tied for first in the district, you bet MHS fans and players are hoping someone knocks North off. (You are crazy if you don't think the same goes for North) As far as just out-right hoping North does bad, I can honestly say I have never heard that.

As recent as 3 years ago there were players on North team that played at MHS as freshman. Many of the kids from MHS/MNHS play or have played with each other in summer ball and because of this a lot of parents know each other as well.

I guess my only point or disagreement with your assessment is that I don't believe the majority of MHS players/fans feel the way you describe. (At least not from my perspective)

RobertS, if you get a bye in the first round then go two series in would that not be the 3rd round deep?
quote:
Originally posted by hewhoknows:
Once again... RS reiterates my point about the Lion faithful in general. He has to go above and beyond and point out "one upmanship".

Let's talk about this one. McKinney North has tailgated at the McKinney Lions stadium during our GOLDRUSH for the past 2 years and even decorated OUR stands !!! (last year) That's the definition of one upmanship in my opinion. You didn't hear us crying about it did you? I speak for most when I say we want ALL McKinney schools to do well. It just shows how good the competition is in this town.
Since a lot of the recent posts were about McKinney and McKinney North, I have a question that some may be able to help me with. Why are the crowds so sparse when they play now? Has the novelty worn off? I just remember the full houses when they first began playing... overflowing crowds. I wasn't at the game at North the other night, but the game at MHS wasn't nearly full. I even had a college coach ask me why there isn't much interest in that game anymore. Please provide insight/opinions on why this has/is happening.... on another note, I know the interest is way down in the crosstown football games.
quote:
Originally posted by Dawgdad:
Since a lot of the recent posts were about McKinney and McKinney North, I have a question that some may be able to help me with. Why are the crowds so sparse when they play now? Has the novelty worn off? I just remember the full houses when they first began playing... overflowing crowds. I wasn't at the game at North the other night, but the game at MHS wasn't nearly full. I even had a college coach ask me why there isn't much interest in that game anymore. Please provide insight/opinions on why this has/is happening.... on another note, I know the interest is way down in the crosstown football games.

I blame the economy.
Robert... I finally agree with you. The drop in attendance has to do with the split again more than anything. That leads me to my correction of Lionpop. None of this years North sr.'s went to High as Freshman. On the other hand, all of Boyd's Sr.'s this year came from High or North as fish. Unless of course they moved in since then. Hence, the reason I think for the drop in attendance. Your right that there are probably 1000 more kids at Boyd than at either North or High. Oh, and everyone is invited to the tailgates. Stop on by, we'll share.
quote:
That leads me to my correction of Lionpop. None of this years North sr.'s went to High as Freshman.

I said three years ago... Thanks though!

The Centennial vs. Liberty game last night was a GREAT game. Liberty tied it up at 4-4 in the top of the 6th, then Centennial hit a HR in the bottom of the 6th, got out of a jam in the 7th to win the game.
Great game tonight between McKinney and Centennial. Both tems played well. Lipka goes the distance and hits a ninth inning walk off, McKinney wins 3-2

It's a shame that in such a competetive district they we all have to be subjected to the horrible umpiring we all have witnessed. Tonights game was no exception although it had no bearing on the score. We deserve better.
It was a great game and officiating seemed normal to me. (A few questionable ball/strike calls but no advantage for either team)

The Centennial horns were the only thing that took away from the awesome effort by both teams. My head is still hurting this morning from the noise.

Sets up a huge game Friday night between MHS and SHS. Then North vs Wakeland next week...What a great year in 9-4 !!!
A follow-up on the Umpiring comment: These two Teams played a 9 inning game in 2hr & 35 minutes yet for some reason twice during the game when each Team's Catcher made the last out and took some time getting ready the Umpire only allowed Lipka and Badarack to throw two (2) warm-up pitches. Is there some type of time limit that I am not aware of. Personally I would think that it is not good for the Pitcher's health to only be allowed to throw two (2) warm-up pitches after sitting for 1/2 an inning and seriously increases the risk of injury. It also seemed to cost Badarack as he wound up walking the first batter on 4 pitches and eventual tying run in the sixth inning (Lack or warm-up pitches or not it is hard to say) but I have never seen an Umpire restrict a Varsity Pitcher to only two (2) warm-up pitches. Especially during a game that was moving at the pace this game did. Congratulations to the Lion's and Matt Lipka on their win it was truly a great game by both Teams.
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly on the catcher obstruction.. The obstruction of the batter is ignored if the batter-runner reaches at least first and all other runners advance at least one base. If not, then the penalty is enforced which would put the batter at first, and any runners forced to advance would be advanced. For any runner not forced to advance, and not advancing ON THE PITCH, they would be placed on the base they occupied.

Regarding the warmup pitches, there is an amount of time. Memory wants to say a minute, but umps can give leeway with cool/cold weather. If the catcher was the last out, then someone else needs to get out there. Dont know since I wasn't there.

Sounds like it was a fun game. Wish I was feeling well enough to have made it.

One question that comes to mind is why didn't they walk Lipka? Of course, it's easy to sit here and second guess from home.

Thanks for the updates.
If the ball is put in play, play continues and after continuous playing action stops, the umpire will call time. Any runner attempting to steal is awarded that base, and all other runners advance only if forced. If the result of the play is more advantageous than the penalty, the offense may elect to ignore the infraction (e.g., if the batter-runner reaches first safely and all other runners advance at least one base, catcher's interference is ignored by rule).
Last edited by TurnTwo1
I was at the game last nite, and on the play where the catcher made the last out, the warm up catcher went out, and the mck pitcher stayed in the dugout.
he was very late coming out, the infielders had already thrown the ball around and finished warm ups before he took the mound. Pitcher and catcher came out at same time, and then the coach came out and had a fake argument with the ump so the pitcher could warm up with the shortstop.
Robert S. I agree 100%. Why risk an injury, it does not make any sense, these are two quality High School Players we are talking about. I am also upset that Centennial Coaches did not come like Coach Price did and buy some time for our Pitcher. The entire game had a great tempo as both Pitchers worked quickly and effectively. It was truly an enjoyable experience watching such a quality ballgame. It was kind of like a Playoff atmosphere with the intensity and large crowd on hand and absolute perfect baseball weather.
The comment about the umpiring was not 100% directed to just last night. There have been umpiring issues throughout the district; all teams included.

As far as last night, was there any doubt about the foul ball off the foot of one of the Titan players? It's interesting the plate umpire can see the catchers interference but not the foul ball. What about the base umpire? What was he looking at on that play? What about the double play ball? What about the steal at third?

The primary job of the plate umpire is balls and strikes; he got it right maybe 90% of the time? If there were 240 pitches thrown in that game, that means he missed 24 pitches, 95% = 12 pitches. Is that acceptable?

You guys already addressed the warm up issue. The point is these young men are playing there hearts out game after game and deserve better umpiring; period
Didn't see the game, but here are a few facts about umpiring:
1.) There are "spped up" rules found in the National Federation of Rules which is the set of rules by which all High School baseball in Texas plays under. They suggest 1 minute warm-up periods limited to 5 pitches in between innings. If the umpire feels that the players are not getting to the field in timely manner, they may restrict that number. Not saying it's wrong or right.

2.) Actually, after 240 pitches 90-95% is a pretty good success rate. What burns me more than anything is a call made when an ump is out of position. Balls and strikes will always even themselves out during the course of a game.

3.) Less than stellar umpiring can be attributed to one factor and one factor only- Money. Baseball is the only sport in which an official has to work for over 1/2 of a season just to pay for his equipment. The UIL governs the pay structure, and it is not near enough to attract good, quality "young" umpires to work their way up and hone their skills. Therefore, you get guys calling 4A and 5A ball sometimes with litle or no varsity experience. The old hats definitely did it for the love of the game, not the money. Now, guys can'r get off work, etc. in order to officiate. Therefore, there is a much smaller pool of officials to pick from. My 2 cents worth.
The Umpires did a great job in this game. Catchers interference was handled corectly. As far as the warm up time for the pitchers the rule is very clear. you have 1 min. or 5 pitches, wich ever comes first. If the pitcher wants to hang out in the dugout while his team warms up, then he gives up his right to warm himself up. I understand your concerns about his well being, however he, nor his coach were to concerned, or he would have hustled out and warmed up with the TEAM.
quote:
atease
Posted April 23, 2009 03:57 PM Hide Post
The Umpires did a great job in this game. Catchers interference was handled corectly. As far as the warm up time for the pitchers the rule is very clear. you have 1 min. or 5 pitches, wich ever comes first. If the pitcher wants to hang out in the dugout while his team warms up, then he gives up his right to warm himself up. I understand your concerns about his well being, however he, nor his coach were to concerned, or he would have hustled out and warmed up with the TEAM.

I think the McKinney coach was concerned because he went up and faked an argument with the home plate umpire allowing his pitcher time to warm up with the ss.
quote:
Originally posted by McKinney Lion:
For the record the Mckinney pitcher was playing despite being sick as a dog, hacking up a lung and blowing all kinds of crud out of his nose....just so you know. I was by the dugout and it was obvious he was lagging towards the end of the game. He wanted to finish the game for his TEAM.

Gross!
Changing the subject since pigbrain and hewhoknows must have a hangover this morning after way too much to drink last night.

Do the four teams from 9-4 play the same district as football in the playoffs or how does that work? District champ still get a bye now that four teams are in? (Sorry for my ignorance)

BTW, the McKinney pitcher was sick all week and still is. (At least as of yesterday)
quote:
no byes since there are 4 teams from each district. first round will be district 9 vs 10. should be some really good match ups.

Thanks! I agree, should be some good matchups. I think this district will do well in best two of three format. IMO we have some very good pitching in this district. (Top 5 teams is what i am talking about)
I do not live in mckinney or frisco. i was watching the game as a neutral observer just hoping to see a good game. I moved to different parts of the stadium during the game just to get different perspectives, and I happened to be standing by the frisco dugout on the ball that was questioned if it hit the foot of the batter. I could not tell, unlike every other fan who was there (lol), but i could hear the players in the frisco dugout and they were all laughing at the batter and saying he was faking, just because he made an out. I saw nothing wrong with the umpiring, it was better then most games i have seen in the dallas area. It was a well played game and the officials had nothing to do with the outcome.
Just the rambling thoughts of a fan who by the way does not drink and has no hangover
Here is my two cents:

Gatewood has done a GREAT JOB since taking over The Bulldogs! This year no exceptions. A team with no proven pitchers and a bunch of 5'9" 150lb players having a chance to finish 3rd is unbelievable. Winning 3 district championships(all as the top seed) and remember he took over for someone who felt The Bronco program was going to be much better than The Bulldogs!
nothing against your coach
thought he did a good job of protecting his pitcher when he went out to talk to umpire to allow him extra warm ups.
this was the fisrt time i have seen mckinney play, so all i know is what i have heard around at other games. maybe what i heard was about coaches at the other mckinney schools. sometimes you hear a story and all is said is something like "that coach in mckinney". I try to watch games around the area, and sometimes people get their facts mixed up, so i pay little attention to other people's opinoon about coaches, as a lot of thimes the can be based on whether one's child is getting to play or not.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morgan:
Here is my two cents:

Gatewood has done a GREAT JOB since taking over The Bulldogs! This year no exceptions. A team with no proven pitchers and a bunch of 5'9" 150lb players having a chance to finish 3rd is unbelievable. Winning 3 district championships(all as the top seed) and remember he took over for someone who felt The Bronco program was going to be much better than The Bulldogs!

I must disagree with this one. Ladd was more then a proven starter last season, if I'm not mistaken (OP let me know) Ladd had better numbers than Lackie last season. If not better, they were very good. North also has 5 returning starters, all quality players. This is Gatewood's first go around without several D-1 type players on his roster. If they don't win the last 2 games, it will most likely be a 5th place finish. Just because he came from University of Alabama does not make him a great coach.JMO
Sure Ladd pitched well last season and is a good pitcher, but he didn't have to face the best teams last season. Lackie faced most of the better teams. Who said any thing about Gatewood being a great coach because he came from The University of Alabama. Look at what The Bulldogs have accomplished the last 3 seasons. Last year some people didn't have them making the playoffs - What did they do - #1 seed. Everyone had MHS winning the district easily. I think they had only 1 postion to fill from the previous year. Three very very good and proven pitchers coming back in Baker, Lee, and Moore(this doesn't include Lipka). North had Lackie, Ladd(who was unproven)and Ryan Hughes(also unproven). On paper MHS had better hitters. I think Gatewood does a GREAT JOB because of his HS results not because of Alabama.
Unfortunately I do drink... crazy Just waking from that drunken stupor. My dang head hurts. Thought my balls would but since I don't have any.....oh well. Hewhoisthenonuttedwonder has to chime in once again..... Ro.....oops! I mean AF, my apologies sir. Not sure what tagging is but if I tagged you, please accept my apology. My comment was only reference to the "genius" connotation bestowed by you upon someone else.Not a reference to you in general. Trying not to tag, you know. That's what made me laugh and choke.... JMO

Nothing in particular makes a great or bad coach. However, those close to any particular coach can be blind to what is right in front of them. And to no fault of their own I might add. That's what sparked my very 1st comment on this site. "Sometimes folks can't see the forest for the trees". I do think coaches win and lose more games based on their decisions than players do. Just like we all do in our own respective careers, every coach is going to make decisions on and "off" the field that will effect how his team does and also how he is perceived. Most are good-some are bad. Those that minimize the bad decisions, are the successful ones. Those that use good ethical philosophy in all phases of the game are ultimately rewarded. Those that don't, get bit in the arse eventually. That's why I got choked.You have to see the meadow on the other side of the woods.If your standing behind a tree, you can't see it.

Hewhoisalwayswatchingandobservingandhaslilittybittyballsandalwayscallsablackkettleblacknotapotablackkettle
quote:
Originally posted by hewhoknows:
Unfortunately I do drink... crazy Just waking from that drunken stupor. My dang head hurts. Thought my balls would but since I don't have any.....oh well. Hewhoisthenonuttedwonder has to chime in once again..... Ro.....oops! I mean AF, my apologies sir. Not sure what tagging is but if I tagged you, please accept my apology. My comment was only reference to the "genius" connotation bestowed by you upon someone else.Not a reference to you in general. Trying not to tag, you know. That's what made me laugh and choke.... JMO

Nothing in particular makes a great or bad coach. However, those close to any particular coach can be blind to what is right in front of them. And to no fault of their own I might add. That's what sparked my very 1st comment on this site. "Sometimes folks can't see the forest for the trees". I do think coaches win and lose more games based on their decisions than players do. Just like we all do in our own respective careers, every coach is going to make decisions on and "off" the field that will effect how his team does and also how he is perceived. Most are good-some are bad. Those that minimize the bad decisions, are the successful ones. Those that use good ethical philosophy in all phases of the game are ultimately rewarded. Those that don't, get bit in the arse eventually. That's why I got choked.You have to see the meadow on the other side of the woods.If your standing behind a tree, you can't see it.

Hewhoisalwayswatchingandobservingandhaslilittybittyballsandalwayscallsablackkettleblacknotapotablackkettle

Huh.........

It just downed on me, no guy would be called to put his name up and not do it. I'm thinking you are a mom, in which case I feel bad for picking on you. I'm really sorry, I will leave you alone from this point forward. Enjoy the game tonight, and don't forget to turn off the curling iron before you leave the house.
Last edited by Robert S.
Putting my skirt on.... should I shave my legs or not? Hum.... well come on out and look for the hairiest legged woman there. Again, you don't get it do you? I'm not and have not dogged [B]you. I have only questioned :
1.) When you didn't want to give North their props. I congratulated MHS. Do you not want to show some love? Your implication, as the way I read, was that their success has been a fluke. NOT
2.)Just as you have questioned or commented, I questioned your choice of succesful coaches.
Posted April 23, 2009 04:59 PM Hide Post
Dang, that McKinney coach is a STINK'N GENIUS!!!!

_____Gatewood..... Give me a break

"When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight....Air Force" ______________________________________________

Can you not take it as well as dish it out? Who else do you not like? Have you ever actually met the man? I dare say not. I've met both of them and I think you know where I'm leaning -JMO( to quote you again)

By the way, momma doesn't wear her feelings on her sleeves( oops, I mean blouse)
quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe':
In the case of a 3-way tie:All 3 flip a coin. Winner gets bye and automatic playoff spot. The other 2 play(loser goes home). The winner of that game then plays the 1st flip winner for seeding of 3rd and 4th. No one is automatically in in a 3-way scenario. You throw head to head out the window.

I got my info from the McKinney coach, he could be wrong, but I'll stick with my original statement.
3 way tie with no dominant team then all will flip a coin and odd man out is really in. The other two will play with the winner playing or flipping for the seeding. Robert, why so harsh on Gatewood? He has proven that he is a great coach as I explain earlier. Price is a good coach also but if you look at what both have accomplished then the edge goes to Gatewood.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morgan:
3 way tie with no dominant team then all will flip a coin and odd man out is really in. The other two will play with the winner playing or flipping for the seeding. Robert, why so harsh on Gatewood? He has proven that he is a great coach as I explain earlier. Price is a good coach also but if you look at what both have accomplished then the edge goes to Gatewood.

If you include this year, I think their accomplishments are even, I don't see a distinct advantage one way or the other. I'm not going to lie, I have my reason why I don't care for Gatewood the person, I will not put it on this site. If you care to know you can send me a PM. I think Gatewood has done exactly what has been expected at North. Up until this year he has had a plethera of talent. This year he has had less dominant talent, ie: Lackie, Nico, Appleby, etc. But he has a solid core of players with varsity experience and good high school talent and they are 1 loss from not making the playoffs. I'll try and not be harsh, but he should not be awarded "great" status on his accomplishments to this point. IMHO
I think it is pretty safe to say that Gatewood and Price are pretty good high school coaches when they have the talent. However, in Price's first year, I think his team was the "team to beat" in the conference. They couldn't beat North and darn near got run ruled in the second game only to make a comeback when down to 1 out. Gatewood wasn't at North then, but Price was at MHS. I don't think it was so much Milam's or Price's coaching... it was the players on the field... much like it is on many Friday nights. It is nice to see that Coach Price has stopped acting/coaching as though he had that chip on his shoulder. I actually enjoy watching McKinney play again.
Robert - What about last year? MHS had all the talent coming back(Baker, Lee and Moore) only replaced 1 starter from the previous year. North was picked to finish somewhere between 3rd and 5th. They ended the year with the #1 seed. When has Coach Price had a team that wasn't expected to make the playoffs finish as the #1 seed? MHS was expected to be district champs this season and they were. Also, it should tell you something when Coach Milam left North. He didn't think the talent was going to be good enough to win 3 more district championships.??
Last edited by Joe Morgan
Neither.... I think, like most coaches, it was the opportunity to "do it again". Milam took a new program and built it into one of the best in the state in 4 yrs. The opportunity to do the same thing again and not even have to move was too enticing to pass up. The perks( new facilities, strong booster potential) only sweetened the pot.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.