Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by hewhoknows:
Once again... RS reiterates my point about the Lion faithful in general. He has to go above and beyond and point out "one upmanship".

Let's talk about this one. McKinney North has tailgated at the McKinney Lions stadium during our GOLDRUSH for the past 2 years and even decorated OUR stands !!! (last year) That's the definition of one upmanship in my opinion. You didn't hear us crying about it did you? I speak for most when I say we want ALL McKinney schools to do well. It just shows how good the competition is in this town.
Since a lot of the recent posts were about McKinney and McKinney North, I have a question that some may be able to help me with. Why are the crowds so sparse when they play now? Has the novelty worn off? I just remember the full houses when they first began playing... overflowing crowds. I wasn't at the game at North the other night, but the game at MHS wasn't nearly full. I even had a college coach ask me why there isn't much interest in that game anymore. Please provide insight/opinions on why this has/is happening.... on another note, I know the interest is way down in the crosstown football games.
quote:
Originally posted by Dawgdad:
Since a lot of the recent posts were about McKinney and McKinney North, I have a question that some may be able to help me with. Why are the crowds so sparse when they play now? Has the novelty worn off? I just remember the full houses when they first began playing... overflowing crowds. I wasn't at the game at North the other night, but the game at MHS wasn't nearly full. I even had a college coach ask me why there isn't much interest in that game anymore. Please provide insight/opinions on why this has/is happening.... on another note, I know the interest is way down in the crosstown football games.

I blame the economy.
Robert... I finally agree with you. The drop in attendance has to do with the split again more than anything. That leads me to my correction of Lionpop. None of this years North sr.'s went to High as Freshman. On the other hand, all of Boyd's Sr.'s this year came from High or North as fish. Unless of course they moved in since then. Hence, the reason I think for the drop in attendance. Your right that there are probably 1000 more kids at Boyd than at either North or High. Oh, and everyone is invited to the tailgates. Stop on by, we'll share.
quote:
That leads me to my correction of Lionpop. None of this years North sr.'s went to High as Freshman.

I said three years ago... Thanks though!

The Centennial vs. Liberty game last night was a GREAT game. Liberty tied it up at 4-4 in the top of the 6th, then Centennial hit a HR in the bottom of the 6th, got out of a jam in the 7th to win the game.
Great game tonight between McKinney and Centennial. Both tems played well. Lipka goes the distance and hits a ninth inning walk off, McKinney wins 3-2

It's a shame that in such a competetive district they we all have to be subjected to the horrible umpiring we all have witnessed. Tonights game was no exception although it had no bearing on the score. We deserve better.
It was a great game and officiating seemed normal to me. (A few questionable ball/strike calls but no advantage for either team)

The Centennial horns were the only thing that took away from the awesome effort by both teams. My head is still hurting this morning from the noise.

Sets up a huge game Friday night between MHS and SHS. Then North vs Wakeland next week...What a great year in 9-4 !!!
A follow-up on the Umpiring comment: These two Teams played a 9 inning game in 2hr & 35 minutes yet for some reason twice during the game when each Team's Catcher made the last out and took some time getting ready the Umpire only allowed Lipka and Badarack to throw two (2) warm-up pitches. Is there some type of time limit that I am not aware of. Personally I would think that it is not good for the Pitcher's health to only be allowed to throw two (2) warm-up pitches after sitting for 1/2 an inning and seriously increases the risk of injury. It also seemed to cost Badarack as he wound up walking the first batter on 4 pitches and eventual tying run in the sixth inning (Lack or warm-up pitches or not it is hard to say) but I have never seen an Umpire restrict a Varsity Pitcher to only two (2) warm-up pitches. Especially during a game that was moving at the pace this game did. Congratulations to the Lion's and Matt Lipka on their win it was truly a great game by both Teams.
It's been a while, but if I remember correctly on the catcher obstruction.. The obstruction of the batter is ignored if the batter-runner reaches at least first and all other runners advance at least one base. If not, then the penalty is enforced which would put the batter at first, and any runners forced to advance would be advanced. For any runner not forced to advance, and not advancing ON THE PITCH, they would be placed on the base they occupied.

Regarding the warmup pitches, there is an amount of time. Memory wants to say a minute, but umps can give leeway with cool/cold weather. If the catcher was the last out, then someone else needs to get out there. Dont know since I wasn't there.

Sounds like it was a fun game. Wish I was feeling well enough to have made it.

One question that comes to mind is why didn't they walk Lipka? Of course, it's easy to sit here and second guess from home.

Thanks for the updates.
If the ball is put in play, play continues and after continuous playing action stops, the umpire will call time. Any runner attempting to steal is awarded that base, and all other runners advance only if forced. If the result of the play is more advantageous than the penalty, the offense may elect to ignore the infraction (e.g., if the batter-runner reaches first safely and all other runners advance at least one base, catcher's interference is ignored by rule).
Last edited by TurnTwo1
I was at the game last nite, and on the play where the catcher made the last out, the warm up catcher went out, and the mck pitcher stayed in the dugout.
he was very late coming out, the infielders had already thrown the ball around and finished warm ups before he took the mound. Pitcher and catcher came out at same time, and then the coach came out and had a fake argument with the ump so the pitcher could warm up with the shortstop.
Robert S. I agree 100%. Why risk an injury, it does not make any sense, these are two quality High School Players we are talking about. I am also upset that Centennial Coaches did not come like Coach Price did and buy some time for our Pitcher. The entire game had a great tempo as both Pitchers worked quickly and effectively. It was truly an enjoyable experience watching such a quality ballgame. It was kind of like a Playoff atmosphere with the intensity and large crowd on hand and absolute perfect baseball weather.
The comment about the umpiring was not 100% directed to just last night. There have been umpiring issues throughout the district; all teams included.

As far as last night, was there any doubt about the foul ball off the foot of one of the Titan players? It's interesting the plate umpire can see the catchers interference but not the foul ball. What about the base umpire? What was he looking at on that play? What about the double play ball? What about the steal at third?

The primary job of the plate umpire is balls and strikes; he got it right maybe 90% of the time? If there were 240 pitches thrown in that game, that means he missed 24 pitches, 95% = 12 pitches. Is that acceptable?

You guys already addressed the warm up issue. The point is these young men are playing there hearts out game after game and deserve better umpiring; period
Didn't see the game, but here are a few facts about umpiring:
1.) There are "spped up" rules found in the National Federation of Rules which is the set of rules by which all High School baseball in Texas plays under. They suggest 1 minute warm-up periods limited to 5 pitches in between innings. If the umpire feels that the players are not getting to the field in timely manner, they may restrict that number. Not saying it's wrong or right.

2.) Actually, after 240 pitches 90-95% is a pretty good success rate. What burns me more than anything is a call made when an ump is out of position. Balls and strikes will always even themselves out during the course of a game.

3.) Less than stellar umpiring can be attributed to one factor and one factor only- Money. Baseball is the only sport in which an official has to work for over 1/2 of a season just to pay for his equipment. The UIL governs the pay structure, and it is not near enough to attract good, quality "young" umpires to work their way up and hone their skills. Therefore, you get guys calling 4A and 5A ball sometimes with litle or no varsity experience. The old hats definitely did it for the love of the game, not the money. Now, guys can'r get off work, etc. in order to officiate. Therefore, there is a much smaller pool of officials to pick from. My 2 cents worth.
The Umpires did a great job in this game. Catchers interference was handled corectly. As far as the warm up time for the pitchers the rule is very clear. you have 1 min. or 5 pitches, wich ever comes first. If the pitcher wants to hang out in the dugout while his team warms up, then he gives up his right to warm himself up. I understand your concerns about his well being, however he, nor his coach were to concerned, or he would have hustled out and warmed up with the TEAM.
quote:
atease
Posted April 23, 2009 03:57 PM Hide Post
The Umpires did a great job in this game. Catchers interference was handled corectly. As far as the warm up time for the pitchers the rule is very clear. you have 1 min. or 5 pitches, wich ever comes first. If the pitcher wants to hang out in the dugout while his team warms up, then he gives up his right to warm himself up. I understand your concerns about his well being, however he, nor his coach were to concerned, or he would have hustled out and warmed up with the TEAM.

I think the McKinney coach was concerned because he went up and faked an argument with the home plate umpire allowing his pitcher time to warm up with the ss.
quote:
Originally posted by McKinney Lion:
For the record the Mckinney pitcher was playing despite being sick as a dog, hacking up a lung and blowing all kinds of crud out of his nose....just so you know. I was by the dugout and it was obvious he was lagging towards the end of the game. He wanted to finish the game for his TEAM.

Gross!
Changing the subject since pigbrain and hewhoknows must have a hangover this morning after way too much to drink last night.

Do the four teams from 9-4 play the same district as football in the playoffs or how does that work? District champ still get a bye now that four teams are in? (Sorry for my ignorance)

BTW, the McKinney pitcher was sick all week and still is. (At least as of yesterday)
quote:
no byes since there are 4 teams from each district. first round will be district 9 vs 10. should be some really good match ups.

Thanks! I agree, should be some good matchups. I think this district will do well in best two of three format. IMO we have some very good pitching in this district. (Top 5 teams is what i am talking about)
I do not live in mckinney or frisco. i was watching the game as a neutral observer just hoping to see a good game. I moved to different parts of the stadium during the game just to get different perspectives, and I happened to be standing by the frisco dugout on the ball that was questioned if it hit the foot of the batter. I could not tell, unlike every other fan who was there (lol), but i could hear the players in the frisco dugout and they were all laughing at the batter and saying he was faking, just because he made an out. I saw nothing wrong with the umpiring, it was better then most games i have seen in the dallas area. It was a well played game and the officials had nothing to do with the outcome.
Just the rambling thoughts of a fan who by the way does not drink and has no hangover

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.