Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It says they are going to "encourage" players to wear them...I don't think so. It is a mess however and I am sure the bat makers are scrambling to change their production runs converted and will have a bunch of composite inventory to burn. I guess it will help the economy...$300-$400 a pop. Talk about the stimulus plan.
I hear ya. I feel sorry for the families that shelled out $300-$400 on bats the past few months, and now will not be able to use them due to the new changes! I don't think they're going to be very happy when they find out their bats will have to remain in their bag? In fact, I'd be a little ****ed (angry! Mad) if I didn't receive a courtesy warning prior to the purchase...it's a good thing we keep up on all of these changes! There are some advantages to logging on to the high school baseball website often...it may have saved us some $$$ by sharing information!
Last edited by bsbl247
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
Just last weekend, up in Harrisburg PA, one of the college coaches informed me the 'new' 2011 "metal" bats, are mandatory of D-1 Colleges starting
Feb 1.

Stay tuned

Hopefully that means that the bat companies will mass produce the new models and we won't be stuck with a supply/demand problem?
The new standard (BBCOR) is actually the same one that the NCAA is using across all three divisions in 2011. Nationally high schools are scheduled to move to this standard in 2012. All that the new California rule is doing is moving CA high schools onto the new standard one year earlier.

Here is a site that lists the new BBCOR bats that are available now:

http://m-5.eng.uml.edu/umlbrc/...ied_bats.asp#results

I don't think that there is going to be a problem buying these bats - colleges nationwide all need these bats - and the manufacturers are already making bats to this standard. They will have to increase production but they have plenty of time to adjust.

Here is a link to the NCAA announcement as well:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal...ign=NCAA+News+Direct

quote:
Originally posted by rowandfan:
two things

With the bats, will batting averages drop?

With the headgear.... even though I'm at outfielder, that is dumb. Good thing I graduate this year. There is an assumed risk in playing the sport. If you don't want to get hurt don't play and don't mess up things for the rest of us.

Yes, you won't see as many fisted/jammed or off the end of the bat bloopers, etc...IMO! Batting averages will slip, and power numbers will suffer a little too. But, I don't think it's going to be as drastic as you think. Good hitters will still put the numbers up IMHO.

As for headgear? I'm sure most of the kids your age feel the same, and there's no doubt I'd feel that way too as a teenager, I know my son does. However, put yourself in the same shoe as Gunnar and his family, as well as other kids that have taken line drives off their head. I'll bet they wish there was an option for some type of protection? I know it's a tough call, the headgear rule is NOT going to be enforced from what I hear. Honestly, my son is an OF/P, when he's on the mound I'll leave it up to him and hope for the best!
quote:
Yes, you won't see as many fisted/jammed or off the end of the bat bloopers, etc...IMO!

I expect that we will see a similar number of off-center hits, because (IMO!) these kinds of hits are a consequence of the weight distribution in hollow bats compared to wood, and the weight distribution is staying about the same.

On the other hand, the BBCOR standard regulates the trampoline effect more directly (and thus more tightly), so I expect that well-struck balls will travel less far compared to the hotter BESR bats.

This isn't the first time that bat standards have been tightened. Given that experience, we can say with near certainty that batting averages and scoring will drop somewhat.
3FG,

I can't breakdown the differences between the BBCOR standards and the BESR bats. My observation was based on what I've read on this site and similar articles in the Times. I'd be silly to attempt to argue this point with you (I'm sure I'd Lose! Wink), but it seems if the new bats are going to emmulate wood then we'd see far less off-center hits?

I know that you have a son my kids age that pitches...what do you think about the new rule or "suggestion" to have pitchers and infielders wear protective headgear?
The attempt to regulate bats was not to make them “more like wood” but to control the trampoline effect and reduce the high velocities of the ball coming off the bat. I expect you will still see the “duck f a r t ” hits (as my pitching son calls them). I heard second hand over the weekend that Cal State Fullerton recently did a BP session with them and no one hit a ball out using the new bats. I guess the reports on the new bats will start coming in as college fall practices start.
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
The attempt to regulate bats was not to make them “more like wood” but to control the trampoline effect and reduce the high velocities of the ball coming off the bat. I expect you will still see the “duck f a r t ” hits (as my pitching son calls them). I heard second hand over the weekend that Cal State Fullerton recently did a BP session with them and no one hit a ball out using the new bats. I guess the reports on the new bats will start coming in as college fall practices start.

Anymore info on this? That would be a big deal if the bats were as stated above.
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
..... I expect you will still see the “duck f a r t ” hits (as my pitching son calls them).

Kids have stopped remembering the use of the the term 'Dying Quail', when they went to non-wood bats.
....A batted ball that drops in front of the OF for a hit, often unexpectedly (like a shot bird). Also known as a blooper, a chinker, a bleeder, or a gork.

The term "duck far^," was modified to "duck snort" by ChiSox Ken "Hawk" Harrelson to make it family friendly. It means a softly hit (non wood) batted ball that goes over the infielders and lands in the outfield for a hit.

But then, do kids really know anything, anymore? Smile

And course, what old far^ around here remembers how 'Hawk' Harrelson got his name?

Go Cubs Go ....(for those who remember those lyrics)
Last edited by Bear
They're here...................talked to son today. He's been hitting in the cages with the new Nike bats and he's says they're not good at all. Maybe don't even hit as far as wood?? Hopefully it's going to be better outside.

He didn't love the old Nike bats but managed to hit well enough most of the season to have a good BA but now with these new specs it's going to be a real battle. But, on a positive note maybe this will level the playing field of non-Nike schools!
quote:
They're here...................talked to son today. He's been hitting in the cages with the new Nike bats and he's says they're not good at all. Maybe don't even hit as far as wood?? Hopefully it's going to be better outside.

Just as long as they aren't still worse than the other schools new bats, which they probably are.Just use wood. Then everyone is hitting with the same.
quote:
Originally posted by warningtrack:
I heard from a local sporting good store that the three big bat reps said there would be no change this year in high school........fwiw.

Huh? The CIF has already mandated that the new bats will be required. If you read their statement they will allow older metal bats to be used if they are not available. Considering that they will be available for colleges I am not sure what they are talking about.
quote:
Huh? The CIF has already mandated that the new bats will be required. If you read their statement they will allow older metal bats to be used if they are not available. Considering that they will be available for colleges I am not sure what they are talking about.

I am just reapeating what a local sporting good store owner said today. The guy has been the leading baseball supplier in the bay are for years, he's a pretty good source. Again just stating what I heard......it will be interesting.
BOF,
My son's well-connected high school coach says the BBCOR requirement "isn't going to happen this year."

That seems to be what the "smart money" is saying.

The most obvious cause of a shortage would be the tacit agreement among the major bat manufacturers to simply not make enough BBCOR bats. Their motivation to do so would be the existing inventory of BESR bats. In fairness to them, the change by the CIF and legislature came pretty late.
I hope you are right 3FG. I really don't need to spend another $300 this year. It would have been much simpler to just mandate wood, until the bat manufacturers had time to catch up. Their ruling says that older metal bats would be OK, which would be OK, except for those of us who have composites. I guess he can just break out his old ExoGrid and use it for one more season or just borrow someones bat for in game use.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.