Skip to main content

You are so right- there is nothing like a happy kid to make a parent happy. My son is a senior this year, or as he said to his academic advisor a redshirt junior. He was injured and had surgery last season so hopefully gets another year of eligibility from the NCAA. He has been able to make lemonade out of lemons this summer. Without being able to play summer ball while rehabbing his injury he had a great summer internship in finance.

He has had a great college experience despite being injured. He chose the right school and bb program for him. Coaches have integrity and are excellent role models. The academics have been excellent. We did tons of research prior to comitting but in the end there is still lots of luck involved in how things turn out. Best thing the boys can do is what has been said here many times-control what you can (work your butt off) and learn not to sweat the things you can't control.
My son is a senior as well, and I can't believe how quickly his college days are passing by. Although three years have passed, it seems like yesterday that we dropped him off for the first time. His time there has been a positive one overall, even though there have been hills and valleys along the way. You never know what's going to happen in a career -- issues can pop up that range from academics to rooming situations to playing time to injuries -- but that's which makes the experience so rich. This is how your student and player learns to fend for himself and develop as a person, and this is where the control levers move from the parents to the kids.

We've been lucky in many ways. He's still at his original school -- many of his high school and travel teammates have switched once or twice -- and he still really enjoys it: the program, his teammates, the classes, the professors, the campus. Sure, there have been a few frustrations, but he's grown up so much learning to handle his own life and career, from his academic workload to playing summer ball to doing an internship. And he's on track to graduate next May.

I would tell freshman parents to relax and let your sons find their own way. Your support should remain steadfast, even if things don't always go perfectly on the field or off. But it helps him to know that you're behind him. Now that my son's a senior, he's trying to help new freshmen adjust just as some of the former players helped him.

As the lifting and skill work switches over to the fall practice stage in a week, he's ready to do it one last time. I can't wait to watch him.
Great senior Dad advice here from CaBB and catfish342. This sophomore Dad is soaking it in!

CaBB said....
quote:
We did tons of research prior to comitting but in the end there is still lots of luck involved in how things turn out. Best thing the boys can do is what has been said here many times-control what you can (work your butt off) and learn not to sweat the things you can't control.
Amen to that brother!

catfish342 said....
quote:
We've been lucky in many ways. He's still at his original school -- many of his high school and travel teammates have switched once or twice -- and he still really enjoys it: the program, his teammates, the classes, the professors, the campus. Sure, there have been a few frustrations, but he's grown up so much learning to handle his own life and career, from his academic workload to playing summer ball to doing an internship

I would tell freshman parents to relax and let your sons find their own way. Your support should remain steadfast, even if things don't always go perfectly on the field or off. But it helps him to know that you're behind him. Now that my son's a senior, he's trying to help new freshmen adjust just as some of the former players helped him.

Great stuff.
Last edited by fenwaysouth
Son starting his freshman year as a walkon. It's been like a yo-yo so far.

The paperwork and aggravation before his final decision was made were torture. Then the orientation, and meeting the coaches and players, seeing the facilities were "awesome".

At first classes were a lot tougher than he expected. Once he got settled (study tables and tutors) and realized that classes aren't 7 hours a day like high school, it seems to be smooth sailing.

He thought he was in great shape and then the early "hell-week" type conditioning made him wonder if he was going to make it. By week's end it seemed everything was under control and he was competing well with the new and returning players.

The lated hurdle is all the changes the coaches are suggesting across the board. As one would expect, the changes feel clumsy and it's frustrating as he knows he could do better the "old way". Also frustrating is that the coaches haven't really seen him in action before suggesting changes. A lot of assumptions being made (on both sides IMO).

I've been telling him to listen to the coaches. Watch the upperclassmen, ask questions if he doesn't understand, and to give the new things a try.

I'm guessing there will be some other yo-yo event on the horizon.
For better or worse, he needs to listen to the coaches. They in fact have his best interest in mind and success as their goal.

That said, however, there is no guaranty of success even if he makes those changes.

If he makes the changes and succeeds, that's the end of the issue.

If he makes the changes and it doesn't work, he can either return to his old style in summer ball or try a new style in summer ball. If he succeeds in summer ball with his old style the coach will probably tinker no more.
My son is a freshman. His school brings freshmen in for a short session in July. He was able to take two classes and start working with the strength and conditioning guy. In our opinion, this was a GREAT idea. He got two classes out of the way, he learned the lay of the land a little bit and he gained 8 pounds of muscle!

He's not a huge fan of going to school but he is getting good grades. He acts like he has no time to do all of the work but the mandatory study halls for freshmen are filling that perceived void.

Weightlifting is intense, practices seem to be fun. He's learning a new position and gets tons of swings and groundballs each day.

This weekend were the first two scrimmage games. I think he was excited and nervous about the weekend. Didn't get much out of him until he called Friday night. He was 0-4 but hit the ball hard four times and he was happy about that! Then on Saturday, he got his first two hits...a double and a 3-run home run!

This experience seems to be all about him realizing that he belongs there and he CAN do it. HS was always easy in the class and on the field. Now he's got tougher assignments and much more competition for a position in the lineup.

Every day he learns that he CAN get A's in his classes. He CAN get up and lift at 6am every day. He CAN figure out how to eat properly. He CAN learn a new position. He CAN hit D1 pitching. He CAN deny the partying peer pressure.

He is so much more mature and advanced than I was when I was his age. I could not be more proud of him.
Last edited by biggerpapi
I'm one of those guilty ones that spent alot of time on this site researching the recruiting process my son's HS SR year but have been AWOL since. Sorry for the absence.

Son went to Jamestown ND (NAIA, about 560 miles away) Fall of '10. He was miserable. Just wanted to be back in his hometown reliving his senior year of HS and hanging with his HS buds. No idea how fall ball went that fall (he offered very few details) but I imagine it could not have been too great given his state of mind. He wound up redshirting.

He is now back in school as a redshirt freshman. What a difference a year makes. He was anxious to have summer end so he could get back and hook up with his college buddies. Fall ball started a week ago and he texted me (that's a major communication breakthrough for him) that he went 2-for-3 in the 1st scrimmage. Anytime he tells me ANYTHING it means he's feeling good about things.

A friend of mine and I decided we'd make the drive to go see him this weekend. We are hoping to catch Friday's practice and are very excited to see how practice is run and how he stacks up.

Way too early to tell if he has a shot at varsity this year. But who cares? He's feeling good about his college and his baseball and thats good enough for me.

Can't wait to see him.
Tomorrow(Wed.) son's team starts their official Fall practices with scrimmages Friday and Saturday. I can hardly wait! I'm eagerly awaiting the posting of the Fall roster also as the team only has 16 returnees not including one out for the year with an injury. I'm curious to see who all the new guys are since son said there's around 42 to 45 guys doing the pre Fall workouts and meetings.
I have not posted much since June. June was a real disappointment in our home. It was amazing how teams can build up expectations, and how crushing it can feel when all you are left with is a sense of discouragement.

This will be my guys final collegiate season. Fall practices have begun in earnest now, hitting in cages, loosening up the arm and getting ready for a new spring season.

Coach did not want them throwing much before last week, and my son has said that he can tell he has been shut down as he reawakens his arm. Although he stopped playing the end of July, prior to that he played every inning of every game, so I don't imagine the downtime will have a lasting impact in any negative way.

Fortunately for us my son plays about 80 miles away, so once they begin scrimmages we will probably head down and catch a few of those. I always try to get there early enough to watch them warm up on the infield and take BP. This season I will do likewise and try to savor every moment.

Spring will be right around the corner here in Florida. I believe our season begins at the end of January.

One thing that had my son excited was the possibility of playing the Yankees early in our season. Unfortunately it appears that the only opportunity for that would occur just before we begin our conference games. Coach is not sure he can afford to use our pitchers in a practice game so close to our season begining.

We shall see! And as everyone out there who has been through this knows, but those who are just begining or in the middle of this experience may not know: Enjoy the ride, it goes by faster than any of you could possibly want.
FF, keep that head up and look forward. Fortunately for you and especially for your son, the fat lady has not even began to warm up yet. Talent cannot be hidden or kept at bay but for so long. I have a feeling that Eric is about to go crazy next spring.

J-Dub had his first fall inner-squad scrimmage last week. (seems like his first in 10yrs..lol.) He too has not pitched since the end of July on his summer team. Just a lot of long tossing, couple of bullpen's, etc. They were given a 30 pitch count. 27 strikes, 3 balls. He was happy as a lark. lol

YGD

p.s. Isn't it ALWAYS spring in Florida? lol
The time had finally arrived. My wife and I dropped our son off at college Sunday afternoon. It was a little easier than I anticipated, as I could feel his excitement of being on his own and the independance he'll now enjoy. We helped him set his dorm up and took him out to an early dinner afterwards. We spent some good quality time together and gave him the typical parental advice. I drove him back to campus, and I had a gut feeling that it may become emotional for my wife. So rather than walk him back to his dorm, I pulled to the curb and kept the motor running in my Suburban, I got out, gave him a big hug, told him that I loved him and I was proud of him, nice and quick.....Okay, in comes my wife. The waterfall was flowing before she could get to my son for her hug and she continued with the flow of tears for the first fifteen minutes of our drive back home, we're going to miss him!

During the drive home I reminded her that he's only 72 miles away. She replied, "yes, I realize he's close, but it's never going to be the same again. He is a baseball player, so he won't have as much time at home during the holidays and summer." I thought about it, ya know, she's right! My son will go through the 2011-2012 school year and baseball season and be finished in mid-June. He has already been assigned to his summer team in Washington, which will start immediately after school ends, and leave him with about three weeks with mom and dad next summer before he's back at school again for his sophomore year.

There are many parents on this site with children in college much further away than our son. Some are student-athletes playing baseball or other sports, and some are just students finding their way. Other parents have kids that are in the military serving our country on foreign soil thousands of miles away. It doesn't matter if our kids are ten miles from us or ten thousand, as parents, we miss them just the same. But I'll admit, I'm very fortunate.

My son has batting practice tomorrow morning, and his first college bullpen. I'll call him tomorrow night to see how everything went. I'm sure he'll do great...he has worked his buns off to get where he's at, I'm proud of him.

P.S.- I have a daugter that's a senior in HS...my wife and I will go through this again next year and become "Empty Nesters"...but that's another thread! Wink
quote:
P.S.- I have a daugter that's a senior in HS...my wife and I will go through this again next year and become "Empty Nesters"...but that's another thread!

SmileLOL yes it is.

Best of luck this year.maybe we will meet if were around for the weekday games aginst Irvine.Your wife is right, it will never be the same,BUT it changes, and its a new phase.Your wife and you may both be a little down that this phase of childrearing is over,but new challenges arise,and you will enjoy seeing him face and overcome them.He has great parents so he will make you proud,That I am sure of. Wink
bsbl247...I hate to be the bearer of bad news but since no one else seems to be stepping up to the plate to tell you, I will.

Empty nesting is a FALLACY. lol. Trust me. I'm learning first hand.

My daughter is a freshman in college this year...and I'm not seeing a end to freedom anytime SOON. lol.

Enjoyed your "drop off" story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

YGD
Greetings All...this is a wonderful thread and its great to hear how the Fall practice season is going for all of our kids.

My son has had a wonderful start thus far to his Freshman year. He attends a top NAIA University in the Central US which finished 2nd in their conference last year, just missing the Regional by a single win.

Coach informed him yesterday that he will be suiting up and playing with the Varsity this Spring as a Pitcher! Woot! I'm so proud of him right now, he's getting to live his dream of playing baseball at the collegiate level!! Does it get any better than this?

I have to admit, living only 30 minutes away from his school has been something of a God send for Mom and I. We've gotten to swing by and watch him compete on the hill in two scrimmages this far and we relished every single moment of it.

My son has arrived. Thanks to all of you for helping make his dream come true!

-ltf
I began following the discussions on this site as a guest when I was a high school sophomore dreaming of a chance to "play at the next level." But now, one month into my college experience as a student-athlete, I realize something...I didn't quite understand what the "next level" actually meant. I didn't foresee the hours of lifting and running and batting practice that awaited me; I was just a 16 year old who had decided he wanted to play college ball. Now, these activities are the norm, and they have been ever since that point when I decided that I had a dream. I couldn't have wished for more from the experience. The lessons I have learned from my high school teachers, coaches, trainers, friends, and most importantly family members, are indeed directly applicable to college life (or for the rest of my life, for that matter). I have felt so well prepared for my classes, practices, social interactions, and I have only the great people who have been around me to thank. I also want to thank the insightful posters on HSBBW for your willingness to share so much knowledge about baseball and life in general through this forum. The experiences that I have read about here are starting to become so real to me now on and off the field. Patience and persistence are truly virtues required of any student-athlete who wants to be the best that they can be. If I could share one thing with a high schooler with a goal of playing baseball in college, it would have to be that this experience, the experience of moving from high school to college, only comes once in a lifetime, so you have to embrace it and take ownership of the identity you want to create. I have survived one month of college classes and baseball at an Elite-Academic DIII school. And I can't wait to experience the rest.
Just returned from watching son's scrimmage. He told me beforehand he would throw only one situational inning, but I nevertheless felt compelled to drive 16 hours to watch him throw what turned out to be 13 pitches.

He pitched well enough to encourage the hope that he can eventually grow into a useful role on the team, but the highlight of the trip was the dinner afterwards.

Seeing the skill of some of his teammates who clearly possess a higher order of athletic talent while still falling short of true prospect status reminded me that the rungs get farther apart the higher one climbs on the ladder and might have caused me to lower my estimate of his potential baseball ceiling.

However, talking to him over dinner raised my estimate of the quality of man he is becoming and the kind of life he is building for himself.

What I heard at dinner was a young man who is joining a community of hard working, disciplined men and learning what it takes to succeed at whatever he puts his hand to.

He is tremendously impressed by the professionalism of the coaches and the staff. He has figured out that these people have the cool jobs they do because they committed themselves to mastering their craft and they pursued it with discipline and purpose. He marvels that the coach posts a minute-by-minute practice schedule in the locker room every day, covering the activities of every player, and every player is expected to know the plan before he steps on the practice field. He further marvels that the coach has already written, subject to change, plans for every practice for the rest of the fall, and that the players are on notice that any minutes of practice lost to bad weather will be made up on the weekends because the coach is determined to use every minute the NCAA gives him to its best advantage. Similarly, the conditioning coach has a plan for every workout, and no workout ever gets repeated.

Because he has these role models setting these examples, he is taking more responsibility for organizing his own life. In order to go to dinner with me, he had had to perform that night's mandatory study hall hours in advance. A month ago, I'm not sure he would have diagnosed the time conflict in time to permit solving it.

He is also buying into what the coach is teaching about taking responsibility to meet performance standards. For example, in the scrimmage, each pitcher started with a runner on second and one out and faced four batters. After each batter, the situation was re-set to one out, but the runners stayed at whatever bases they had earned. The performance standard for the pitchers was to prevent the runner from scoring and to retire three of the four batters while throwing 15 or fewer pitches. That's the goal. Overcome whatever bad luck befalls you and take responsibility for meeting it. The batters had their own standards based on the situations they faced: if there was a runner on second, their assignment was simply to get on base; if there was a runner on third, their job was to get him home one way or another.*

I see this sense of responsibility carrying over into his schoolwork. So far, his assignment and quiz grades are excellent, but more impressive to me is that he seems acutely aware of what is coming up on the horizon and how that affects what he should be doing right now. He insisted I drop him off at his dorm by 9:30 because he had to be in bed at 10:00 to get up at 5:30 and carry out a plan of the day that won't have fifteen unclaimed minutes until he goes to bed.

He is using his time wisely. He respects the people he is spending it with, and it looks like he is beginning to earn their respect in return. Whatever line of work he pursues after college, he will be better at it because of what he is learning and doing now.

I went back to my hotel jubilant and encouraged, and baseball was only a small part of the reason.

*Note: In case you're wondering, he did meet the standard for the scrimmage. The runner on second stayed at second. He got three outs: a strikeout and two pop flies. Only the 2nd batter achieved his objective: he reached base by leaning into an 0-2 two-seamer and getting grazed on the forearm.
Moneyball12;

Welcome! It's very insightful to read a new players perspective of College baseball experiences.

Swampboy; you nailed the description of how detailed the daily practice plans are at a serious baseball program. I was most impressed by their preparation and dedication than perhaps anything else except the execution of it on the field. It is a whole new world and agree that the impact certainly carries over into our players character!
Swampboy- great post that should be in the thread about D1 practice hours. Congrats to you for raising such a great son that is smart and motivated and is figuring out college and baseball and thriving.

I think your 16 hour drive was worth every minute! Your son knows how long that drive was and I'm sure really appreciated your effort. As a parent it is priceless to see how they are adjusting to college life. You can now be certain he will be successful on and off the field. Obviously success is measured differently by everyone but I just felt my son was a success just getting to the level of college baseball that he aspired to. Any thing else on top of that was gravy. Luckily he didn't share my attitude and has continued to work his butt off.

Again, congratulations on your sons success and enjoy it- goes waaaaaay too fast!
Son called today and I don't know who's happier, me or him. He's off to a great Fall start with ten hits in fifteen at bats with a couple of walks and five or six steals. Today he hit his first homerun off the top of the scoreboard which is a pretty good shot in that park. The coach even called a pitchout immediately after giving him the steal sign but he still beat the throw. He was wondering why it was a close play when he had a good jump. But the coach told the guys in the dugout, watch this and then tried that trick on him. But he still made it. Any way, he's battling and I hope it pays off in the spring.
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
Son called today and I don't know who's happier, me or him. He's off to a great Fall start with ten hits in fifteen at bats with a couple of walks and five or six steals. Today he hit his first homerun off the top of the scoreboard which is a pretty good shot in that park. The coach even called a pitchout immediately after giving him the steal sign but he still beat the throw. He was wondering why it was a close play when he had a good jump. But the coach told the guys in the dugout, watch this and then tried that trick on him. But he still made it. Any way, he's battling and I hope it pays off in the spring.

The excitement just oozes from your post as it should considering your boys .666 performance! I know the pitching can't be that down so I'm with you in that he must be hot!!

Best of luck, hope to see you this year. I'm guessing we go out there if we play??
Prime9,

When our schedule came out about a month ago, one of the first things I checked was if we were playing you guys again( after what yall did to us last year, that might not be a good thing for us. Smile) Unfortunately I don't see yall on our schedule. So good luck to your son this season and maybe we'll meet in the playoffs! By the way, is your son working out at first or the outfield or a combination of both?
Link copied to your clipboard.