Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by TooTall Ball:
Coach said he will try and look for a spring break tournament in AZ next year. Looking forward to that, in the mean time will have to settle for watching my Jr.LHP here in DII HS ball.

There are several D III College tournaments in the Phoenix area each spring. Teams come from the north to take advantage of the weather and congregation of teams to get some games in. Hopefully, it'll work out for you.
Thanks TB, I will be looking for what available, the school site isn't up yet so have only had the conference site to refer to for now. Will be an exciting time in the high desert.
The actually recruited my son at a camp in Peoria, so he comes to AZ some already, would imagine he probably knows some folks........thought it was pretty cool for him to mention that already. Will see if it happens. Of course that will be my LHP's senior season, hope there won't be conflicts........yeah right...lol
Opening Day is 3 weeks away for SP_son's team. Then, the next chapter in the journey begins for real (FR LHP). He called after practice today and said that his PC discussed his role with him. Says he'll open the season coming out of the pen, with an opportunity to work his way into the starting roatation. Needless to say, he is very happy.

From a parental viewing perspective, it's always easier on the time and travel budget if you can know when your player will be on the field; but I'm just happy that he's made the team, and seems to be showing the Coaches enough that they're putting him into their plans. Starter, reliever, closer; he doesn't care. He just wants to do whatever he can to help his team win. As for Mom and Me, we'll be there whenever we can to cheer on the team, and if he happens to take the field, that will be a bonus.
Southpaw_dad,

Best of luck to your son, I know it is hard when he is coming out of the pen, but we found that you end up part of the "parent posse" that cheers on the team first and then their player second. (deep down it is the opposite but we all pretend Wink)We met so many parents of players who have been through it and offer so much support - you will be amazed. We picked out the games that we could fly to see in groups and were able to catch my son's first college pitching outing. We even met a HSBBW mom at the game who took a bunch of pictures for us and loaded them on the web. Thanks cheapseats! Looking forward to seeing your son pitch in his Sr season, looks like we will be at the TU/Centenary series in SA.

We have met a number of HSBBWers and others from other boards from all over the country. It really is a small world in the college baseball community.

Make sure you schedule yourself for big series against rivals, and for conference tournaments, and of course if you are lucky and your son’s team makes regionals. These big games have so much energy and “life” to them plus you can see all kinds of different places in this great country. We have been to a number of cities that we would ordinarily not go to just because we are part of the college baseball crazed parents of America……

The rest of the time we watched the games from the webcast and got my home TV set up for web streaming. If you don’t have that set up do it, it really helps makes viewing much more enjoyable.

For us my son’s team’s first series is in California so we get to see his first games without having to fly half way across the country. (sorry Southwest you lose for once) Up to a third of his team, depending on the year, is from California so we are expecting a big crowd, even from past team families.

Best of luck to all of the HSBBWers players this season!!!! Really looking forward to the season start in two short weeks!
Last edited by BOF
Anxiously awaiting Feb 15 to roll around. Must say I think son's team has arguably the toughest first 10 games across the board....Ga.Tech x 3, Louisville x 3, Kentucky x 4. I cant wait to see this action. After having the team come off of a 13 game skid to end the season I told him (incoming FR) he needs to be patient and remain positive as that skid could run thru the first 10 games of this year too! (hopefully not, LOL)
Eric G,

GA Tech, Louisville and KY will be a very good tests. Your son is on a new team, and what happened in the past 2012.....is in the past. Every year is a new and different team altogether. The best your son can do is be ready, because many of these coaches want to see what their freshmen "got" in these early, out of conference games. Good luck!
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
Eric G,

GA Tech, Louisville and KY will be a very good tests. Your son is on a new team, and what happened in the past 2012.....is in the past. Every year is a new and different team altogether. The best your son can do is be ready, because many of these coaches want to see what their freshmen "got" in these early, out of conference games. Good luck!

Fen, Congrats on your 2,000 post!
Last edited by HRKB
Looking forward to seeing the season opener against Hofstra. Mid February is going to be cold, but I'm hoping my freshman gets some starts in the early non conference games.

I couldn't believe how much he changed physically when he came for Christmas. He dropped 4% BFI and gained 20 lbs. 2 lbs of that I think was from facial hair. He needed a new passport for summer ball, and he didn't shave for the photo... he looks like a terrorist. I don't know if I'd get on a plane with him.

I know he worked hard this fall trying to win a starting spot in the line up, but over 30 other kids did as well. Hope things work out for him. He is a versatile player and he thinks the coaches like what they see in him. They have a bunch of talented players on the team and he grew up playing with or against quite a few of them.

How do you root for your kid and at the same time not root against another?

Hope to see some of you in Omaha this June.
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Crude:
How do you root for your kid and at the same time not root against another?

Just root for the team. Not much else you can do. When he gets his opportunity, he needs to make the most of it.

My son is a freshman as well - I know he won't get a lot of playing time, unlike all his years on varsity where he was a starter. We know that some games we go to he may not play at all.
Yippie!!! A week from tomorrow I'm jumping on a plane to catch Opening Day and the following day's DH for my son's team. Trip is all booked!

As you may remember we have a big project starting on Opening Day Friday and I wasn't sure if I could get off. I had planned on going before I got put onto this project...I discussed options with my boss including possibly working remotely that day or even not going and he responded with 3 words:

Enjoy the games!

And some people wonder why I like working for him!

Hope temps warm up for everyone! Forecast for Opening Day is in the 50s with zero chance of rain...Of course he has several days and nights of cold and possible rain or snow before then!
Well, bball son has pitched 7 innings in intra squad games this spring. He has 6 Ks, 2 BBs, 2 singles and given up 1 run. He still doesn't know his role yet. Opening weekend is this coming weekend and I'm going down to watch. I'm thinking he has been pretty consistent and should be pitching in some capacity. Time will tell. Pretty excited about watching.

The team they are playing a top 20 school, so they should get an idea about how their season will be. The pitching staff will be the big question. There is only one pitcher back who threw more than 14.2 innings last year, so we'll see how the new guys do. Baseball season is almost here!!! Go Cougars!!

And as an update, my wife will be going to my younger son's wrestling state qualifiers and videoing it and keeping me updated.
Last edited by bballman
quote:
HRKB posted....Fen, Congrats on your 2,000 post!
HRKB -Thanks. Time flies when your're having fun. Smile

All - I'm so jealous of all your college teams starting in February. So, I'll be checking your game scores through StatTracker and D1 baseball box scores to see how your sons are doing. This is the third year, I've had to wait another 3 weeks until my son's conference starts (March 1).....it is pure torture! In any event, good luck this season and see as many games as you can.

PS....32 days, 18 hours 07 min 05 secs until first pitch on March 1 but who is counting!
Last edited by fenwaysouth
Fenway -- Having grown up and played HS Ball in the shadow of Cornell (where I had the pleasure to know Ted Thoren through my Dad), I wouldn't be wishing for a February season opener. Heck, late April was always suspect for snow flurries on game day.

2 Weeks to opening day in Fredericksburg. I was contemplating that while shoveling the driveway Saturday morning. I don't know about you, but what I consider passable "baseball weather" does not arrive consistently in VA until mid- to late-April.

Gearing up for a cold "spring", but completely happy that SP_son has the opportunity to still be out there chasing his dreams, and playing the game he loves.

Give my regards to Ithaca.
southpaw_dad,

Good to hear from you and best of luck in two weeks. I hope your son gets that first appearance under his belt. It is a fantastic experience, and one you will remember forever.

Under no circumstances would I expect an opening day in February in Ithaca. The baseball field would resemble Lynah rink home of Big Red hockey. Typically our first 15-18 games are away and south just as other teams in our conference.

Stay warm, and good luck!
I am wishing everyone a great season, prayers going out that all your boys stay healthy and those that are recovering come back as strong or stronger than ever. Last preseason scrimmage for Backstop-17 JR and team is in the books and we are 5 days away from the season opener here this Friday in Tampa. Floridafan is promising to visit and bring us some of his luck Friday. The search is active for FF wife Wendy's replacement as team photographer. Maybe she can snap a few shots to tide me over sometime during this senior season.

Last seasons (high school or college) need to be savored, and I haven't been jonesing too much for the opener, knowing that once it starts I will blink and it will be in the rearview mirror. We have a lot of new pitching - and replacing that Grabe kid at the plate is yet to be seen. I think it will be like in moneyball, where we have to create his OBP and RBI production out of 2 or 3 players. We do miss Eric's grinding style and leadership, I can tell you that.

Either way the season goes, it has been a fantastic ride watching all the players grow, work hard and move on, whether it be to their professional lives/grad school, or getting to push the sun up in the sky for another season in pro ball. Also, getting to meet the new parents every year has become one of my favorite things about college ball.

I put together this little video with the help of some of Wendy's photos of years past, because we all want our boys to see life as something bigger than baseball. I hope to get him to see it through the lens of Wendy with a little help from windows moviemaker, so I thought I would share with the greatest community of baseball lovers in the world:

Armor of God Baseball View

Again, good luck to all and may your lives continue to be richly blessed.
Hey Foxdad -- Yes sir. UMW it is. It was very nerve wracking for him to be recruited by one coaching staff, only to have them leave and a whole new staff come in. But he is loving the Staff and the program. He says the team is a really great group of guys. He can't wait to get going for real. PM with the name of the player you know if you would like. I'll keep an eye out for him when we get to games.

Tino came back and finished his education and graduated from UT in May 2011.  He has accepted the position of hitting coach for the Marlins this offseason.  My son's fiance (they were engaged a few weeks ago, and she is friends with Tino's daughter) had Tino write on a baseball "Will you take Maria to the Prom? (signed) Tino Martinez" her senior year - their first year dating.

Good luck to everyone in their openers!

Last edited by Backstop-17

I attended the opening game between Trinity (TX) and Chapman (CA) last night in Orange, CA. and had a great time hanging out with BOF and his lovely wife.  The pre-season All-American LHP from Trinity took a No-Hitter into the 8th inning, and their pre-season All-American SS (little guy) went yard in the top of the 9th.  Other than a handful of errors up the middle for Trinity, they looked pretty good.  I'm happy that college baseball is back...and I'm looking forward to the 15th, when all levels are out on the diamond.

I like the Trinity team a lot. It has become a pipeline for players from Arizona. Muscarello, the shortstop, was a stud in high school (he played with my youngest son on a very good Junior Sun Belt team in 2009) and two freshmen from Chaparral (Singer and Wolf) look like they might have a chance for meaningful playing time, along with the second baseman (Moore) from Brophy. And there are others. Fun group. I will be rooting for them all.

Had a great time with bsbl, we have been meeting over the past few years watching our sons play starting in Az events put on by PG and others.Talking at the game it is amazing how many common kids/parents we know from their age group from SoCal, it really is a small community when you get down to it.Now that they are in college we usually get to a common game or two. 

jemaz 5 of the freshmen that made the travel squad were from Az and yes they will get some time this year, and make contributions to a very competitive team that expects nothing less than a CWS trip. My son tells me that Gray the Lefty from Az is "nasty" and will make significant contributions on a very heavy Sr pitching staff, it will be hard for him to get innings but I know the TU coach will find a time/place for him. Musky is an amazing player that gets overlooked because of his size. Bsbl was saying early in the game that "he looks small for a 3 hole" and I said "just wait, he led the team in HR's". Sure enough he blasts a 2 run HR later in the game. 

It is great to be seeing and talking college baseball, good luck to all of the players from HSBBW!

So, on Thursday I head out of work a few minutes early and directly to the airport to catch a flight to Atlanta.  After arrival, I'm provided a Mustang for my "Economy" rental and headed for the hotel.  As I'm driving to the hotel outside of Atlanta, I called my son and we chatted about practice that day, classes and how much he was looking forward to the Opener on Friday.  He had NO idea that I was going to be there.  They were heading out of VA at 5:30AM and the game was at 3PM on Friday with a DH at 1PM on Saturday.

I find out first thing in the morning that they couldn't get out of town due to the snow, but that they would be leaving early afternoon and would play the DH on Saturday which was supposed to be the better weather day.  I went out to find the field and watched the other team practice for awhile.  Took a couple of pix on my phone and sent him a couple before he texted back asking me if I was there.  Told him at that point where they were somewhere in transit.

Saturday was bright and sunny but cold and I got to the field about 10:30 - right as the team bus showed up.  Grabbed my camera and headed to the field.  I was surprised at how many parents had made the trip and I got to meet a few of them as they trickled down to the field. Slowly but surely that nice sunlight that I was hoping to enjoy was replaced by clouds, but temps stayed around 40 or so for the whole day.

As he'd told me, he played the entire first game at SS and batted 2nd.  There were occasional sleet squalls during the game, but no real issues.  He had a couple of assists and a putout and went 1-4.  They won 6-4.  We got to spend 10 minutes or so visiting between the games as the next squall was a bit of sleet, a bit of rain and a bit of snow...

He started at SS and batted 2 again in Game 2.  Never saw sleet or snow again, but a light rain started sometime in the second inning when they were down 2-1.  By the middle of the 4th it was raining pretty steadily when he made a nice play on a chopper up the middle.  The pitcher tipped it with his glove and my son switched directions, bare handed the ball and threw as he was falling to his right to get the runner at first.  They tied it at 2 in the top of the 5th and had bases loaded with 2 down when the umps called the game.  Smart choice by the umps.  Twenty minutes later the day was done and we chatted for awhile before he hit the bus and I headed to the airport and home.  

We both got back about the same time and he asked when I'd have the photos ready for the boys to look at!  Oh well - they seemed to like the photos.  

Lots of nasty weather and I definitely didn't get to see all the baseball I wanted to see, but I wouldn't have missed the weekend for anything!  Most importantly, I could see how much HE was enjoying being out there and could "feel" an intensity in him at a level that I've never felt before.  Definitely a young man living his dream right now!

Hopefully the VA weather will allow them to host their home opener on President's Day weekend...if so, I'll be there!

This is our first experience with college ball. Freshman son made the team as a walkon

He will be one of three freshman pitchers. Team will travel to florida for the first third of the season. Originally coach says freshman pitchers won't travel for these games.Son understands it to mean earning his place on team along with costs associated with travel.(Northeast school)Now coach says he probably will travel but now we have fee's to pay to do this.(almost 1K). Is it normal for players to pay for travel costs?? I just assumed expenses would be covered if you make the team or is this what happens when there is no scholarship involved.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.