Skip to main content

Son's first college game is tomorrow.  He's a freshman and the primary backup for 1B.  He's at PHCC (DII JUCO in Martinsville).  The Patriots are hosting Rappahannock Community College for their home opener.  We can't be there this weekend - it's 5 hour drive.  Have plans to go down next weekend for Saturday and Sunday games.  He probably won't play much, but we'll see.  It'll be nice to see him even though he came home a few weeks ago for the weekend.

Go Patriots!

Miami, here we come! Can't wait for season opening weekend, and it looks like rain on friday. The kids from the northeast will play in 70 degree rain no problem. After getting 30 inches of snow in 24 hours, they are ready to leave NOW. Hope everyone stays healthy and travels safe to watch their teams games. Won't be the same this year without the kids from last year, but thats always the case. For the teams that make the ride all the way to the CWS, enjoy it. I'm still paying the bills for the regional, super regional, and Omaha, and praying it can happen one more time. So go into season with no regrets and watch your kids as much as possible. GO SEAWOLVES!

PHCC split a doubleheader.  Won game 1 2-0, but lost the "nightcap" 4-2.  My son DH'd in game 1 - was 0-1 with a walk, sac fly and RBI.  Game 2 he started at 1B - went 1-3 at the plate.  I was rather pleased he played at all.  I'm keeping my expectations low - this is a sophomore driven team and he's only a freshman.  Can't wait for next weekend.

quote:
birdman posted....I was just checking boxscores and saw Golfball's son had a 2 for 5 day with 2 HR's(GS) and 8 RBI for UVA in a 14-4 win today. I would say that is some start to 2013. What a game!

"Wow" is all I can come up with when I saw the UVA box score.  Kenny Townes with 8 RBIs & 2HRs against a quality opponent.   Some players don't get those stats in month or even a season.  

Golfball - whatever fatherly advice you gave him at the beginning of the season was good advice!

Originally Posted by fenwaysouth:

quote:
birdman posted....I was just checking boxscores and saw Golfball's son had a 2 for 5 day with 2 HR's(GS) and 8 RBI for UVA in a 14-4 win today. I would say that is some start to 2013. What a game!

"Wow" is all I can come up with when I saw the UVA box score.  Kenny Townes with 8 RBIs & 2HRs against a quality opponent.   Some players don't get those stats in month or even a season.  

Golfball - whatever fatherly advice you gave him at the beginning of the season was good advice!

golfball is a low key guy around here but I can vouch he is one heck of an individual with one mighty talented son.  The thing that impresses me about him is he is willing to let his son's play on the field do all the talking.  IMHO, that's the way it ought to be but it is awfully nice to see good things happen to good people

jj12303 posted... Son got first college save when RMC defeated #8 CNU on Thursday.  Journey to college baseball had a slight detour but was worth the wait.

@jj12303 - Congrats on your son's first college appearance (away) and save against a quality opponent.  The coach must have a lot of confidence to put a freshmen on the mound in that situation.   Good for him!

@web's Dad - Congrats to your son as well in his first start behind the plate.

Go Hoyas!

Nice job, congrats to your son for starting.

And yes they DO get snow in DC~  and lots of cold windy days.

Web I am going to try to catch some of the UConn / GTown series in March, if you PM me and tell me your son's info I'll watch for him. (But I can't cheer for him!).

I really wish the Big East wasn't breaking up. 

Originally Posted by web's dad:

Web got his first start as a freshman on Friday. Went 1-4 and did a good job behind the plate. While his team lost, I was proud that he started his first game and got a hit. Game today was called because of snow! For a California kid, that had to be a shock.

Originally Posted by ClevelandDad:

quote:

golfball is a low key guy around here but I can vouch he is one heck of an individual with one mighty talented son.  The thing that impresses me about him is he is willing to let his son's play on the field do all the talking.  IMHO, that's the way it ought to be but it is awfully nice to see good things happen to good people

Thanks for the kind words. My wife and I were able to travel down to ECU to see the games this weekend. Needless to say, Kenny was a pretty happy camper after Friday night's game

Originally Posted by BaseballmomandCEP:
Go Hoyas!

Nice job, congrats to your son for starting.

And yes they DO get snow in DC~  and lots of cold windy days.

Web I am going to try to catch some of the UConn / GTown series in March, if you PM me and tell me your son's info I'll watch for him. (But I can't cheer for him!).

I really wish the Big East wasn't breaking up. 

Thanks for the kind words.

The game that stopped due to snow was in South Carolina, I assume they travel there to avoid the snow but no luck!

I will PM when they play UConn. Dad43 also has a son at Georgetown, a LHP.

Web is not happy about the Big East, hopefully it will get delayed for a few years while they work out the details. I'm just happy that he's playing college ball and he's at a great school.

I just wish that he wasn't 3000 miles away so I could see his games. It kills me, I probably didn't miss more than 5 of his HS games.

Originally Posted by Backstop-17:

FoxDad - good ole Hooker Field - son looks great!  My son played for Martinsville Mustangs on that field last summer.  Community are great baseball fans!

Threebagger - I saw what Delta State did to Nova, wow...pretty awesome game for your son AND for Delta pitching.

Thanks!  Went down this weekend.   PHCC hosted Garrett College (western MD).  Unfortunately, son had a not so good weekend.  DH'd in game 1 - went 0-3 with a walk.  He started at 1B in game 2, but went 0-1 (pop up) at the plate.  Coach sub'd another hitter in what would have been his 2nd plate appearance  in game 2 so he was done - didn't play in game 3 (today). PHCC did well - swept the series - won 4-1, 11-6 and 12-4 (mercy after 7 innings).  Game 2 was a come from behind win - PHCC gave up a 3 run HR in the 1st but kept chipping at the lead and finally exploded in the 5th and 5th innings for 4 runs each time.

PHCC is hosting Suffolk (NY) in a doubleheader tomorrow.  We couldn't stay though - wife has to work tonight.  Hopefully, he'll get another chance to play tomorrow.

Oh and did I mention it was cold?  Drove through snow showers Saturday morning between South Boston and Danville.  It only got up to 36 F Saturday with light snow flurries during game 1.  By the 4th inning of game 2, wife and kids were in the car - the sun had made a late appearance and then set.  Today was even colder, 30 F at game time, but very blustery.  I think it was 35 F when the game was over.

Just got home from Mississippi where I caught the three game series between DII #1or #2 Delta State and #7 or #16 Nova Southeastern depending on the poll, Delta State outscored Nova 36-8 in the three game sweep with none of the runs for Nova scored off a starting pitcher. Nova has a solid team but they had no answer for the Delta State attack or starting pitching. This Delta group has the POTENTIAL to be a very good team.

Backstop17,

Thanks for the kind remarks--yall keep winning! I will be keeping up with your son's Tampa season and know he will continue to play well.

Originally Posted by Three Bagger:

Just got home from Mississippi where I caught the three game series...

Well done to the Statesmen...I was watching that series all weekend, waiting for Nova to come up for air, but they never could.  Well deserved #1 ranking.  Looks like South Regionals will be held in Mississippi the way you are clobbering opponents.  Hope UTampa can make it in the final selection so I can visit one of the last 3 states I have never visited. (Alaska and N. Dakota will be left.)

By the way, do your knees hurt from catching all three of the games?

Originally Posted by birdman14:

I was just checking boxscores and saw Golfball's son had a 2 for 5 day with 2 HR's(GS) and 8 RBI for UVA in a 14-4 win today. I would say that is some start to 2013. What a game!

That was Golfball's son?  Woo! Hoo!  Did not know that.

I can tell you Golfball that there was a 'buzz' around the ballpark at UC Davis/UW series this weekend about what your son did.  Congrats!  Can I get an autograph someday (of you!)? 

Originally Posted by bcb3:

Son plays first game today. Opening weekend was rained out at home, so have to travel 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get my baseball fix. Supposed to be in high 30's or low 40's with 10-20mph wind.Doesnt sound like the most pleasant baseball weather, but I cant wait!!

May I suggest long underwear, gloves, hand warmers and lots of hot chocolate/coffee.  I was nearly frozen after spending 6 hours watching a doubleheader in 35 F weather.  Did I mention there were snow flurries too?

Good luck to your son's team!

Going to be in wet/chilly DC this weekend to support the Muhlenberg Mules... Sat DBLHDR vs. Galludet is almost certainly to be rained out.  While I want to see baseball after being couped up here in snow bound NH (with 1 foot more planned while we're away) - I won't be too upset if Sat is a "wash".  Sunday my son says he gets the pill vs. Catholic in what will most certainly be a cold day.  But better than being at home watching the snow fly! 

Tks Fenway  - we're northerners we bring lots of layers.  Although when you fly in you don't also have your assortment of blankets... Figured the hotel wouldn't be happy if we brought the comforters with us :-)

Today was "ok" - won the first I think 8-4 - took FOREVER to play 7 innings.  Started at 1P and got done around 350P.  Only got 5 in for the second game before darkness took over.  Won that one 4-3 - GU loaded the bases in B5 w/ 2 out and the SS made a play behind 2b to save the runs and get the out at 1B to end the game.

Took son out for dinner tonight and he's ready for tomorrow.  So bcb3, #7 is my son - he's looking forward to facing Catholic again.  We played last year and he ended up throwing 4 of the "extra" innings to get his first win as a Frosh. Would have finished the game if it weren't for a few errors...  he had a couple of his high school friends who go to Catholic at the game - I guess they made signs for him and cheered him on.  The Mule parents were quite amused from what we were told.

Son is doing very well, played double header yesterday, game one he DH and went 2 for 5 with two doubles. In game 2, he pitched in relief, coming in early with one out, bases loaded. Got two outs to end threat. He pitched 4.2 innings, gave up one check swing hit, one BB, struck out 8. in 7.2 innings, he has given up one hit, one BB, allowing no runs.

The change in coaching style has helped his confidence, this program builds on what he can do, not what he can't do. And best of all, there are 3 other ex-high school teammates on squad, one is his best friend.

The school he is playing this weekend has a good live video feed and it was exciting watching him on the mound after so many years catching.It brought back memories of the old days when baseball was fun and I could actually see him play. I understand these are small schools, if he was pitching D1, not so sure he would be that effective.

But there is life in college ball after D1.

Son qualified for the college "travel" squad for the weekend.  Weather rained out the doubleheader scheduled for Saturday. but they did travel to Cary, NC to play Wake Tech CC for a doubleheader today.  PHCC won game one 6-5.  Game 2 is still in progress.  No word on whether he played or not.  Wife and I are pleased he made the travel squad (he is a freshman on a 35 man squad and only 25 go on away games).  This weekend was their first intra-region game so their off to a good start.  PHCC was 5-2 in non regional play coming into this weekend.

Just came back from sunny Florida today where my son played a 3 game series at the Mets complex in Port St. Lucie. I left early Friday morning in 15 degree weather with a winter jacket on, and end up in 85 degree weather and shorts for the weekend -- and plenty of sunblock! 

I had a great weekend watching my son and his teammates play and compete. It might be the last time I am warm watching him play for awhile. Next week they are at Wichita State... Right now that area of the country is more suited for .

Just gotta brag a little bit.

Georgetown went 2-0 this weekend at the Davidson tournament. The third game was cancelled due to weather.

Web started both games and went 4-9 with 2 BB, 4 runs and 2 rbi. 0 PB 1 WP (I know it's a pitchers stat but we look at it anyway). 1 SBA 1CS.

He's been in battle for a starting job and his competition is very tough. A big LHH with good power.

Kudos to the coaching staff at Georgetown. They told Web that he would be able to compete for a starting job during the recruting process and they have held true to that.

Couldn't be prouder

@birdman14,

It's really tough coming back isn't it? Did you have time to check out a grapefruit league game?  I see the coaches moved the world's tallest leadoff hitter into the 3 hole.   Good move as he is a contact hitter with power and speed.  He should do really well there.  You guys started off with a quality opponent in a quality location.  Michigan's cleanup hitter (went 4 for 4 in the second game) is a former travel teammate of fenwaysouthson.  Great kid and great family. 

While you were enjoying the 80 degree weather, I was scouting VCU, St Joes, (and some barbeque) for you in the high-50 degree weather at the Diamond. You're going to have your hands full with VCU if you meet them in tournament play.  I think they may have gotten better.   St Joes  couldn't square up VCU's senior lefty for 8 innings, and their defense was a little shaky Sunday. But, it is a long season.

Enjoy Wichita if you are brave enough to go! 

@web's dad,

Congrats to a great start for the team and your son.   That is exactly what these coaches want to see out of their freshmen. 

@birdman14,

It's really tough coming back isn't it? Did you have time to check out a grapefruit league game?  I see the coaches moved the world's tallest leadoff hitter into the 3 hole.   Good move as he is a contact hitter with power and speed.  He should do really well there.  You guys started off with a quality opponent in a quality location.  Michigan's cleanup hitter (went 4 for 4 in the second game) is a former travel teammate of fenwaysouthson.  Great kid and great family. 

While you were enjoying the 80 degree weather, I was scouting VCU, St Joes, (and some barbeque) for you in the high-50 degree weather at the Diamond. You're going to have your hands full with VCU if you meet them in tournament play.  I think they may have gotten better.   St Joes  couldn't square up VCU's senior lefty for 8 innings, and their defense was a little shaky Sunday. But, it is a long season.

Enjoy Wichita if you are brave enough to go! 

Glad to see C starts this weekend and they look like they are playing close enough for you to get to see the them play over the next couple of weekends. That will keep the mileage down on the car somewhat. 

I was comparing our boy's schedules and they actually have a whole lot of teams in common that they play this year. Maybe scouting reports ARE in order. 

Looks like the Wichita trip really may not happen. Our coach picked up a local team to play (2) 7's today. I am going to try and sneak over. I will be definitely following my favorite RHP from the cold northern regions of NY. I know you are in my area a couple of times and I will touch base with you to see when he is going to go on those weekends.

Everything is going sooo fast. They only have 2 more seasons left. Have fun and enjoy!

My son has transitioned into a pretty good Radar/Pitching Chart teammate. He is 7 months removed from Tommy John Surgery and continues to rehab everyday. I know that this has been a challenge and there's no doubt in my mind that he's going to come back stronger, not only from a physical standpoint, but mentally too.

The squad has started off the 2013 season at 7-1 and ranked in the top 25 nationally.  They're playing extremely well, and their a fun team to watch. I've been to the majority of home games, and I follow the gametracker when I can't make it to the ballpark.  I'm not gonna lie, I miss watching my kid play ball...injuries are part of the game.  Unfortunately, my son has endured injuries the past two seasons, and I'm just hoping that the "Injury Bug" is finished with him for awhile once he's healed.

In the meantime, I will continue to be out at the ballpark supporting the team and the radar/pitching chart kid in the stands...I love this game.

Originally Posted by JMoff:

My boy (freshman LHP) gets his first start tomorrow night. Only thrown two innings so far, bullpen getting shredded tonight, dad's bowls are loosening. He's been brought along as a reliever so extended innings will be a challenge.

At least I get the day off work. Go Wildcats...

Hey JMoff,

Congratulations to your son.  I caught some of the game on the internet, and I see that he picked up the W this afternoon...not bad for his first start.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.