Skip to main content

My son has been struggling thru his worst offensive year since he started playing baseball. He started off the season batting third, and got a hit on the first pitch thrown to him,but went downhill after that. When you go one for four and it brings up your average, you are not doing so well. He has kept a great attitude, saying he knows he can hit, and it will come around. His team is doing very well which has helped him keep a positive attitude. I was surprised the coach didnt bench him at some point, but he has kept him on the field. Son has started to get on track the last couple of weeks and is hitting the ball well now. He's hoping to keep it up so he feels like he's contributing to the great season his team is having.

Sr day this past Saturday and I took my mom with us to the game. It's the first college game she has been healthy enough to attend since my sons soph year in college. She will be 80 this June. She got to see my wife and I walk out on the field with her grand son. I sat with my mom during both games.

You should have seen the smile on her face when Jeff took a 3-2 pitch in the bottom of the first deep for a 3 run homer. It was one of those special moments. Over the 3 games she saw last weekend Jeff was 5-11 with 1 hr 2 Dbls and 7 rbi's.

But the proudest moment of all was when he was asked by his coach to speak at the dinner Sat night. "I want to thank my mom and dad for all they have done for me. I want to thank my team mates for being like brothers to me. I want to thank my coaches for careing more about what kind of man I am than what I can on the field. And I want thank my grand mom for being an inspiration to me."

I had to hold back the tears. Tears of pride of being so lucky to have such a tremendous young man for a son. A person that never has a bad thing to say about anyone. Who constantly praises his team mates and picks them up. Who just wants to win. And does it with class.

I don't know what the future holds. But I am confident that Jeff will be prepared to be very good at whatever he does. Sorry for the long post. But I am so thankful for him. He has taught me more through this journey than I could have ever taught him.

He is a better man than I ever was or will ever be. A better player. And will be a much better coach one day. And that puts a smile on my face.

Great post Coach.  Very inspirational.  I hope your son does well at whatever comes next for him.  My son plays in your conference although we did not play you guys this year.  It would have been nice if you would have been around for another year so I could have met you at a game.  Best wishes to Jeff, he sounds like a wonderful young man.

This thread has become very emotional.  Pop Up hitter Dad's post this morning started it and I can remember that day like it was yesterday.

Coach May's post brought a couple of tears to my eyes and there would probably be more but I am at work.  Jeff May stands for everything I believe about baseball and also in the bigger picture of life.  By extension, his Dad and Mom and Grand Mom believe and live those very same things.  I am proud and humbled to call Coach Kenny May my friend.  Live long and prosper!  God bless your entire family.  God bless the hsbbweb family for sharing these wonderful stories!

Some people love their son, some people love their son’s friends…and then there are people like Kenny May that simply care about all young men.  I truly believe that and have been truly blessed to share in his wisdom over the years, and in my opinion anyone who has been blessed to play for him or even eat a sandwich with him will say the same. 

I am sure that if Jeff May and my son Adam were fortunate enough to be teammates, that they would be friends for life.  You can tell that the apple did not fall far from the tree with Jeff May.  I know that he is an exceptional and talented ball player, but much more than that, he has a giant heart and a passion to take on the world, given the chance.  And you helped make him that way Kenny, and I am smiling inside knowing that you have such a fine young man.

We too will walk on the field for senior day in a couple weeks, and being able to read and share in your experience is much appreciated.  My son played his whole life, 18 years of baseball, to have this one satisfying season experience he has been blessed with.  While we may shed a tear or two, and miss it greatly, the men I have watched mature as a result of this game will be enough to sustain me for a long time.  I always thought what could happen after it is all over, and now looking into Adam’s eye I can see his future will be blessed with providing the love we have given him to others – one day at a time, one person at a time.  As we make that final turn and head down the home stretch, I realize how blessed and thankful I am for this journey. 

Thank you to all on here for sharing.

Great posts.I miss the college games in many ways.First I attended so thats a big deal.

Senior day is special.I still look at the pictures.

Congrats to the seniors graduating from college this year as that is a huge accomplishment.If yur a few classes short,PLEASE finish

best of luck as you finish your last days of college ball.

Originally Posted by ClevelandDad:

This thread has become very emotional.  Pop Up hitter Dad's post this morning started it and I can remember that day like it was yesterday.

Coach May's post brought a couple of tears to my eyes and there would probably be more but I am at work.  Jeff May stands for everything I believe about baseball and also in the bigger picture of life.  By extension, his Dad and Mom and Grand Mom believe and live those very same things.  I am proud and humbled to call Coach Kenny May my friend.  Live long and prosper!  God bless your entire family.  God bless the hsbbweb family for sharing these wonderful stories!

Emotional Stories that are fun to read!

Coach May, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Jeff is an outstanding young man with a bright future ahead of him.

Sr day was emotional for me as well on Saturday. Lot's of games watched over the years and knowing it could be over very soon was hard to swallow. But now Josh has learned that life doesn't end when ball season is over. His next chapter is already unfolding before his eyes and we're so thankful to see and know that he is ready for it.

He's had a remarkable year this year on the mound pitching with a lot of confidence. But more importantly, he's have a TON of fun and enjoying the fruits of his hard work this year.

God bless all you other parents that I've come to grow attached to here that son's are also having Senior Day's this spring.

YGD

The regular season is almost over.  One more weekend series to go, and then the Region X tournament.

PHCC took 2 out of 3 over the weekend.  Won game one, 5-2, lost game two 3-1 and won game three 4-3 with a walk off single.  Son was 3 for 8 for the weekend with a HR in game three (his 2nd of the season), 

Had a former teammate who's considering transferring to PHCC visit him yesterday.  Told us we should be glad we didn't come.  Steady drizzle during yesterday's game.  Infield paths became very mucky - he ended up rolling his ankle reaching first in his last at bat.  Said home plate areas was utterly ridiculous - ump couldn't stand in one place for very long.

Junior son's regular D1 season is over.  We had a great senior day yesterday as we paid tribute to 10 graduating seniors and their families.  Their were a lot of emotions on display yesterday in the dugout, on the field and in the stands.  The coach got all the seniors in the game, and started many of them.  My wife and I discussed this on the way home, as that will be us (hopefully) next year.  Our college baseball time has flown by.  I can't believe he will be a senior next year.  Enjoy it as much as you possibly can.

Can't believe this year has flown by!!!  Son had a great first college season as the team closer, a new role for him.  We ended up winning the conference championship as the 5th seed having to play the #1 seed twice in the finals to win.  During the tournament, he got the saves in two elimination games including the first game of the finals that moved us to the second game of the championship.  So far has 8 saves and a .87 ERA.  So thankful for this year and the opportunity.  He attended another college last year as a student only and did not play any baseball until the summer.  Now off to the NCAAs!!!

Son's regular season has now completed.  He finished with a .303 batting avg, .402 OBP, .402 SLG%, 7 doubles, 2 HR's, 22 RBI's, 13 BB's, 5 HBP and 11 K's.  All in 134 PA's and 109 AB's in 43 games.  Currently he is the DH and primary backup to 1B.  Not bad for a freshman.  We are happy with how he has done, but not surprised.

PHCC finished 32-17 (19-11 conference) and will be the #4 seed for the Region X Tournament which begins this coming weekend in Moorehead City, NC.  Unfortunately we won't be able to attend as our daughter is graduating from ODU the same day the tournament begins.

Well my son's team Delta State had a setback today in the Conference tournament and lost the championship game in the bottom of the ninth inning to a very good, ranked Valdosta team, 5-4. There is good news as we are almost certain that we will be going to the Regionals in Tampa next week due to our 42-9-1 record and ranking.

The other good news was that my son Jordan was honored as the Outstanding player and MVP  of the tournament even though he was on the second place team which doesn't usually happen. He played great and I am proud of him and his teammates.

I am really looking forward to possibly meeting Backstop-17 and/or floridafan since I will be making the trip to Tampa this year as well as any other posters whose son might play in the South Regional.

Sorry I haven't been around in a while, lots of travel between NY and NC for Mike's Sr year. I'm following the PBC tournament and Jeff May to see who we will see in the regional. Mount Olive had a great regular season 44-6 and went 2-2 in yet he conference tourney. Mike was names Conference Carolina Player of the year and 1st team All Conference SS. We should be hosting the SoutHeast Regional so it will be back in the car Wednesday. 

Good luck to all as the Conference Tournaments jump into full swing!

Well, after a pretty lackluster freshman season, my son got his 1st win tonight. And it happened to come in an elimination game in the conference tournament. He went 6 1/3 giving up 2 runs. We won 15-2 and will play tomorrow for a spot in the championship game.

He has had a tough year and I am so happy for him that he did well, especially in such a big game. Yaaaaaay!!

Update:

PHCC ended up as the #5 seed for the tournament.  Upset Southeast CC (#4 seed) with a 8-7 win in 11 innings.  Son went 1 for 4 with an RBI  and a run scored.  PHCC plays Catawba Valley tonight at 7 pm.  CVCC advanced with a 16-8 win over Surry CC (#8 seed).  Even though we can't be there we can "watch" the game via the net - they post live updates as they games progress.

We attended our daughter's graduation from ODU and plan to be home in time to "watch" his game. 

I wouldn't dare to debate Coach May on Lander's prospects but lets just wait and see on that one.  My prediction is they get in. 

bballman - your son's season was typical for a freshman.  There are a lot of tough guys out there who are a lot tougher and smarter than your son right now (baseball wise).  One day, he'll be one of the tough guys and of course, smarter than your average bear.  Be thankful he bounced back in the conference tournament and a big game frankly.  Something to build on.

Thanks CD. BTW, do any of you know for sure how teams earn a spot in the D2 regionals?  I have heard that for the SE region it is the 3 Conference Champions and one at large bid. Is that what it is, or are there more than 4 spots in the region? 

I know 2 of the conferences in the SE are the Peach Belt and the Gulf Coast. Between those 2 conferences, there are probably 10 or 12 top 25 teams and none of those teams have won their conference championship. Valdosta, an unranked team won the GSC and an unranked team will wind up winning the PBC. That leaves a TON of top notch teams that will not play in the NCAA tournament.

Any insight into how this works?

PHCC did not fair well against Carawba Valley (#1 seed and defending regional champs).  After building a 2-0 lead after 3 1/2 innings the wheels came off for PHCC.  Gave up 9 runs in the next 5 innings including a grand slam in the 7th.  PHCC only added one more run losing 9-3.  That put them in the loser's bracket where they faced Lenoir CC who had lost to Pasco-Hernando in the 1st round and defeated Rockingham CC.

Today's game did not go well.  PHCC lost 4-1 to Lenoir and are heading home.  Son was 1-3 with a double and RBI against Catawba.  However, he jammed his knee in a slide which later gave out on a attempt to run to 1st.  Against Lenoir he went 0-2 with a walk.  For the tournament he finished 2 for 9 with a double, 2 walks, 2 RBI's, and a run scored.  He'll be home tomorrow.  At least he'll have some time off to let his knee recuperate before legion starts in early June.

Thanks!  He had a far better season than we anticipated, though we are not surprised.  Kind of disappointed the team didn't do better in the tournament. 

He did play in the last game so the knee doesn't seem to be real bad.  He should be one of the top returners for next year.

Looking forward to legion ball for the summer season.

With both my daughter (graduated from ODU Friday) and son returning home, it'll be the first time in 2 years all of our children will be in the same area (daughter lives with her boyfriend).  It'll be an adjustment to have him around for the summer.

Well Lander didn't get an at large bid. How they can justify only a 6 team regional in the Southeast is beyond me. But we had our shots to take care of business and didn't get it done. I have seen my son play his last college game and its tough. He had a tremendous sr year. He was named to the AC team. He finished at .381  8 hr 16 Dbls and 49 RBI. And played some outstanding defense. I feel terrible for the team and coaches. They worked so hard. Good luck to Tampa Delta State and Mount Olive. Enjoy the ride guys.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.