Skip to main content

Coach May,

Thank you for the well wishes. I looked hoping Lander would be in there. It is a shame the Regionals aren't eight team affairs like our South Regional was last year. It is a killer on the pitching staffs though if you get in the losers bracket like we did last year.

I have a feeling your son's career may not be over yet--here's hoping for some good news in June!

Coach May,

There are few words I can offer to you - it was just wrong Lander not getting in.  Agree on the 8 team regional idea.  Proper ranking system is just not there in DII, and I can't figure out how they do things.  Me and the Mrs. were prepared to drive to Cleveland, MS for the South regional, but that is another story for another day (we'll chat about it I'm sure Three Bagger.)

I watched Jeff play in person a couple years ago, and was fortunate enough to watch him via the streaming video from the PBC tournament.  He is a top level catcher and as shown by his stats, a heckuva hitter.  Not too many of his kind around in all of baseball. 

More so, I know you have prepared him for life with or without baseball, and we are all blessed to have you not only as a great contributor to this board, but as a true friend that has the best interests for all ball players in their heart.  God bless you and keep you and your family well.     

First, congrats to Tampa, Mount Olive, and of course Delta State.  We get to see a great rematch that has emerged over the the last few years between Tampa and Delta State.

Coach May - it is truly painful right now.  The cool thing about baseball is the pain will be replaced by joyful memories.  Not many kids are ever privileged enough to play high school ball let alone beyond that. 

I have strong feelings about what is in Jeff's future but no need to say anything about that now.  For now, you and Jeff  have the comfort of knowing that he did everything that was in his control.  That is all you can ask out of a ballplayer and in the bigger picture - a person.  Did you do everything possible with those resources (received from God) that were under your control?  It doesn't make the pain of seeing his college career end any easier, but in the long run, there will be a lifetime's worth of pride knowing he answered that question affirmatively. 

Today has been both a happy and sad day for me. Josh got the win with dominant pitchin, great offense, and great defensive plays from the team. He won with a 8-0 shutout and complete game then walked off the field for the last time as a college pitcher. He was crying when he came to hug his mom. I had fought back the tears through the whole game and was determined I would not let Josh see me cry. Well I didnt make it. BASEBALL has been a great friend to me. I've spent hours freezing in the cold, ice, wind, and rain. I've spent hours sweating in the hot sun. Hours working a concession stand and lots of gas and mileage driving to and from games and practices. I've felt the pain when he and the team took a loss and felt such tremendous joy when he and his team won. I've met and got to know some of the most wonderful coaches, parents, players, and fans. It has been a great ride and I want to thank everyone that has coached, rooted for, kept up with, befriended, and mentored my son. He has had the opportunity to play on some amazing teams with teammates that he will never forget. I am hoping that God opens doors for him to continue to play or coach, but regardless of what is in store for his future, I have been blessed with his past. I have loved every minute and I am going to miss this.
Proud of his accomplishments during a year that unfortunately didn't see his team accomplish the goals it had set. He went 8-2 for the year and had 3 complete game shut-outs. Two of those shut-outs game back to back within a week time span which awarded him Southern States Athletic Conference Pitcher of the week. At the end of the season he picked up one more hardware with a Gold Glove as top defensive Pitcher in the Conference. I'm really trying my best to not brag as most of you who know me here know Im not that way. I'm just so darn proud of him after some of the struggles he faced head on and overcome over these past 5yrs. Like many of your sons have and currently are. The young man that stands before me today is NOTHING like the young grasshopper in 2008. God opened up doors for him and put him at this small private Christian college where he has now met a very sweet young girl that he has recently become engaged to.
Thank you all (man Im about to lose it) on here who have encouraged and supported my son through me all these years. The advice, opportunities, and lended ear have meant so much to me that I couldn't begin to put it into words. Nor will I try.
God bless each of you. I pray that your son(s) will find that place in their life where they are fulfilled and full of joy that surpasses all understanding. Whether it's on a ballfield, office, or wherever it may be. They know they have the most supportive parents on the face of the planet.
Ken

Got to watch Three-baggers speedster son Jordan Chovanec in the South Regional as Delta State beat Valdosta State 4-2 yesterday.  He made an awesome sliding catch on a line drive ball at his shoe strings that not many CF could even hope to attempt.  U Tampa pulled out a squeeker against Stillman 5-4 in son's opening game.  Delta plays U West Florida tonight at 7pm, while Tampa will play Florida Tech at 3pm.

Good luck to all players in the tourney.

Wonderful post YGD, just wonderful!

While my son didn't end up playing college ball, I still love hearing about everyone's journey. I have thoroughly enjoyed this tread and find I check in almost every day to see how your players are doing ...thanks to all that have shared their stories/updates with us.  Good stuff!

Youngundad, very nice post that says eloquently how we all will feel when that day comes for us. Good luck to your son !!!         
Backstop-17
Thanks for the kind words and congrats on yalls opening victory. I didnt know you wrre at the game. I really want to meet you so if you happen to be at our game I dont mind talking during our game. I feel our teams are destined to meet so good luck with your game against Florida Tech! Im anxious to see Adam in action.

The new annual award honors DII college baseball’s “most valuable player” – an individual who not only excels on the field, but in the dugout, clubhouse and practice field as well, and leads his team to national championship caliber status. The 28 players selected are on teams preparing to take to the diamond as a part the opening round of double-elimination NCAA Regional Championship Tournament which will determine the eight teams who will advance to Cary, N.C., to a compete for the DII national title.

This says Adam Pendleton All Over It! CONGRATULATIONS!

Three Bagger - it sure was a great pleasure to meet you and your lovely wife this weekend.  Baseball is a great game that brings people together with a common interest in raising good solid young men - and you have one in your son.  I can tell he is a great athlete and a great teammate not only by the way he plays the game, but by the way he carries himself.  Good luck to wherever the future takes Jordan. 

It was too bad our boys' teams never got on the field against each other, after the entire season being right next to each other in the rankings, but the baseball gods just didn't let it happen.

A special note - My wife and I witnessed your #29's mother watching her senior son's last at bat and last time on a college ball field.  She had moved over close to where we were sitting so she could be away from the crowd.  As he was forced out at 3rd in the last inning, it was a quiet and exceptionally emotional moment for her, and we were both touched witnessing what all ballplayer's parents experience.  Her and my wife shared a few verbal exchanges of understanding and tears, as tomorrow, win or lose, we will watch our son play on the U Tampa field for the last time.  I wish I could have told her thank you as it really made me aware of the feelings we soon will share.

Sorry for rambling.  God bless you and your family and have a safe trip back home.

Backstop-17,

Thank you so much for your kind words and the pleasant meeting with you and your lovely wife also. I too regret our teams not getting to meet on the field but be assured Adam and his Tampa team have someone in Tx cheering them on to hopefully a national title.

That was a beautiful and insightful posting about our DH's moms last moments of watching her son on a collegiate field. He was a great player for us.

I would be lying if I wssn't a little sad after ending only 2-2 in the regionals and not giving a little better accounting of ourselves. As you stated, if you get one trip to the. College World Series you
are very lucky and last year was our turn. I feel sad for our eleven seniors .and the fact that this group won't be together again. I dont know exactly what the baseball future has for Jordan but we shall see.

In closing it was nice to be able to put a face on a fellow poster I have enjoyed and respected. Again, good luck to Adam both on and off the field! He has two great parents behind him!

Thanks to all you guys and ladies for the very kind and encouraging words. As a parent I think we learn how to take disappointments head on, cope, and take the next step necessary in healing from the slight sting of heartache. And how each new day brings new hope and goals. This is where all of our young player's are just learning these kinds of things. How when one door closes usually another one will open.

I told my son before we left that it appeared now that I was actually going to have to go back to - UGH - work! How depressing! lol. Maybe my wife and I could adopt a young lad who loves the game of baseball! Is that TOO desperate?

On a last and final note, he was selected yesterday to the World Series All-Tournament team which brought a nice smile to his face. A nice closure to his end of the story if you will.

YGD

Originally Posted by YoungGunDad:

Thanks to all you guys and ladies for the very kind and encouraging words. As a parent I think we learn how to take disappointments head on, cope, and take the next step necessary in healing from the slight sting of heartache. And how each new day brings new hope and goals. This is where all of our young player's are just learning these kinds of things. How when one door closes usually another one will open.

I told my son before we left that it appeared now that I was actually going to have to go back to - UGH - work! How depressing! lol. Maybe my wife and I could adopt a young lad who loves the game of baseball! Is that TOO desperate?

YGD

Congrats YGD and to your son! YGD, I can say I know how you feel!

Kenny, Darrel, Dan and Jonathon - thanks for the kudos, it has been a very emotional and fabulous day.  It has been difficult for some reason resolving all the action of the day in my mind.  I will reflect back on it later, but for now I am just very happy.  God bless you four guys, you have truly been my fellow baseball comrades during these last 4 years, whether you realize it or not. 

I am looking forward to having the sun pushed up in the sky for one more baseball trip.

When I wondered in here so many years ago, my Son getting ready to start high school ball, I didn’t know what I was in for. I have learned so much from the good folks on this site and I have tied to pass it on to those who are just starting the ride.

Congratulations to everyone on their seasons this year no matter the record, it is the work you have put in to get where you are that should be celebrated. A tremendous amount of work has gone in just to play at the college level.

For me the journey is over with the completion of my Son’s senior year. For those who are also completing the journey, hope it was as fun for you as it was for me. Made a lot of friends and got to know a great bunch of boys, they came so far in four years.

Finally, congratulations to the 2013 Lewis Flyer Seniors!!

Lewis Seniors

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Lewis Seniors
Last edited by mehawk

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.