Skip to main content

Thank you HCD. I am sorry I could not make it this weekend it sure would have been nice to see you and Stephen. You guys have a great team and no doubt will have a fine season. Stephen is going to have a tremendous career at UNCP and it couldn't happen to a finer young man. And yes, Cory is a very talented player. Its going to be great to watch him progress in the game.
My son and his team finally got on an outdoor field for the first time (games or practice) this "Spring", and it was humbling. They've been practicing indoors all winter, and it is just not the same. Their bus had to leave early Sunday AM from Virginia to head back to upstate NY to beat a snowstorm that dumped another 6" of snow. My son got to toe the rubber in the 8th against #8 Virginia down a bunch of runs presumably to give him experience. He was nervous as expected, and disappointed in the outcome. He gave up some solid & bloop hits, and made some good pitches for a chance at a double play that didn't happen and extended the inning for more runs. Bottom line is he got through it, and looking forward to the next opportunity to pitch. Baptism by fire!

It is great to come into a program with a lot of support and enthusiasm. We met many parents, former players and alumni at the games. Good weekend from that perspective!

First College Pitch
Last edited by ClevelandDad
Hey, Folks, today, my brother was digging around for an update of my son's game, and he stumbled across a website called NMTV Sports. It has live video or audio feeds from games in smaller conferences. I never heard of it, so I checked it out. Ha, I found a local lacrosse game. The video was pretty good- smooth, not choppy. You just type in your zip code to log in. (I couldn't view through firefox. I had to use internet explorer.)

Lots of baseball games listed. Check out the schedule.

http://pennatlantic.com/
Last edited by AntzDad
quote:
Originally posted by play baseball:
Well, the season starts on Friday and today, for the THIRD TIME in 11 months, my son will have knee surgery. ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair in March, another meniscus repair in October, and now another meniscus and ACL repair today.

Either the third time will be the charm, or 3 strikes and he's out.

This is his last season. The doc "thinks" that he will be able to play the last half of the season. Hmmm.... we'll see.

Well, that's that. He came home for spring break and today went to a doctor here.....he needs an ACL "revision", meaning, a do-over. Hopefully, this doctor will do it the right way and he will be able to get on with his life. I sure wish he could have a do-over season.
Last edited by play baseball
quote:
Originally posted by play baseball:
Well, that's that. He came home for spring break and today went to a doctor here.....he needs an ACL "revision", meaning, a do-over. Hopefully, this doctor will do it the right way and he will be able to get on with his life. I sure wish he could have a do-over season.

I'm really sorry to read this. I'm sure your son is devastated. Please support him if he decides enough is enough. It has nothing to do with 'heart', or 'determination'. It's about what his knee is going to feel like when he's 30, 40... 50. It's about his living a normal life. Surgery, crutches, immobilizers, grueling rehab, doctor appointments; they're not part of a normal life. I went though it four times before I finally came to my senses and said 'That's it. I'm done.'

I wish him the best, no matter what he chooses, but please try to make him aware that he will be an old man some day. Take it from me. It's no fun being an old man with a sore knee.
Thanks, everyone. I don't know who hurts more--him or me.

Yes, his redshirt season was last year----with the initial ACL reconstruction----or was it when he had Tommy John surgery a few years ago? Hard to tell. Either way, it's been a very sad end to what we thought would have been a fun college career. Oh well.

He ultimately wants to be a baseball coach. So who knows? This may ultimately help him....I do know that he will always have the players' safety in the forefront of his mind.

I hope that all of your players are healthy and stay injury free.
What a great Spring Weekend in Florida. Yesterday I got to see JH throw a complete 3-1 win over Boston-UMass at the Chain of Lakes fields in Winter Haven. He had very good command of his pitches, and it was a pleasure to watch. His grandmother was also in town to visit, so I got to meet her as well and have dinner later that evening. JH is as nice and well spoken "live" as he is in print. I know his parents are proud!
quote:
Hide Post
After watching baseball games thru chain link fences for twelve years, its really nice to watch thru netting

Couldn't agree more. We had a real treat last weekend when PrimeJr's team played a series on a Giants minor league field with no fencing or netting(down the baselines) obstructing the view. Ah, the way baseball is meant to be viewed BUT you gotta pay attention to the baseball (and bats).

Jr. got a rare Freshman start and finally banged his first College base hit; just a bases loaded single (2-rbi's) but that 500lb Gorilla is off his back. His BA is well below the "Mendoza Line" but, he has been barreling most everything however they have all seemed to be "at-um" balls until his lazer beam up the middle.

Team has 21 home runs is 22 games with one player having 7 to date and leading the conference. That represents about half of last years output per game. The BBCOR bats have taken the game to a better place IMO.

Two thirds of our outfield is out with leg injuries hence my son's opportunity to get playing time. They should be back in short order so he's looking to enjoy these "spot starts" in their absence. He is still enjoying every second of the College experience and so are we!
Last edited by Prime9
smalltownmom why does that report on JH not surprise me? Lol. I am so glad you got to meet him and see him pitch. I am hoping to do the same thing one day.

Prime9 that first one can be the hardest to get but after that it all falls into place. Thanks for the update I enjoy reading about all the guys. Good luck to him I know he is going to do just fine.
quote:
Prime9 that first one can be the hardest to get but after that it all falls into place. Thanks for the update I enjoy reading about all the guys. Good luck to him I know he is going to do just fine.

I certainly hope that is the case Coach May and TwoBagger! I too enjoy tracking the players we know and those here. I see your Landers team is off to a great Conference start. I think we play three against you in May just before the Tournament kicks off. I hear your team has a pretty good young catcher there. You know anything about him?

Best of luck on the year .... to ALL.
Last edited by Prime9
Last Thursday Hot Corner Son's team was scheduled to play a dh against a non-conference team. I was hopeful that he might see some playing time because since conference season started it had dwindled to almost nothing (not complaining, I knew it would happen; starter at third is a senior who is the team captain and heckuva player). But then it rained all day and I figured it would be a wash out.

They postponed hour after hour, finally deciding to start the dh after dark on a cold, damp night. I stayed home and didn't make the trip, but two of my son's best friends who were off for spring break decided to go down for the games. I thought it was very nice of them to make the trip given that the games might not even be played and my son likely wouldn't see the field even if they did play.

First game was a blow out for our team, but son didn't get in the game. I thought that was a bad sign and I felt sorry for those boys who had made the trip just to shiver in the cold and rain hoping to see my son.

Game two started about 9:00 pm and low and behold my boy was in the lineup as DH. Then I started the typical parental worrying. The kid hadn't had an AB in a couple of weeks, it was cold/damp, and they had been at the field all day trying to keep it ready for action. What were his chances of doing anything in those conditions?

When my son came up in the second inning for his first AB there was a man on first and no one out. I knew the bunt was coming. It was the obvious play and the coach had been using the bunt in this situation all year. I'm watching the live stats on the computer talking to myself, "Just get it down, kid. Do your job."

Then, nothing for about a minute. Those of you who follow college games this way know the anxiety that builds when no information comes through for what seems like forever. Finally, the update. Hot Corner Son homered to right center. First college homer! My wife and I danced around like we were kids again.

PS: Those good friends who went to watch my son decided to try and go find the baseball for my son. It had landed in a private yard. One boy started to climb the fence until a very large dog jumped out of the darkness and scared the **** out of him. They abandoned the quest at that point. Friendship only goes so far.
quote:
My wife and I danced around like we were kids again.

YES! I know that feeling and couldn't believe how nervous I got watching that stupid monitor waiting for the results of each play as the game became tight. I had to go get a cold brew when mine pinch hit the other night. Who would've thunk it?

Loved the story! Congrats on the big hit. I'm waiting for mine to hit his first homer but am just glad he's seeing a little of the field. Can certainly relate to your story.
Last edited by Prime9
Just back from Florida to watch freshman son's team (Heidelberg). An injury is keeping him from pitching, but he is on the road to recovery and hopefully will be back on the mound soon. I still got to see him in his uniform for the first time, and saw him warm up with the "varsity". Not to mention, I also got to see some very good baseball games! Berg is now 9-0.
quote:
Originally posted by OH BBMom:
Just back from Florida to watch freshman son's team (Heidelberg). An injury is keeping him from pitching, but he is on the road to recovery and hopefully will be back on the mound soon. I still got to see him in his uniform for the first time, and saw him warm up with the "varsity". Not to mention, I also got to see some very good baseball games! Berg is now 9-0.

Outstanding! The 'Berg has one of the best young coaches in America. They have become a national power.
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Corner Dad: Then, nothing for about a minute. Those of you who follow college games this way know the anxiety that builds when no information comes through for what seems like forever. Finally, the update. Hot Corner Son homered to right center. First college homer! My wife and I danced around like we were kids again.

And the real beauty of the electronic feed is that you get to "see" that homer over and over...just keep refereshing that play!

I know HCD and his son. I still remember the day I first met them. It was a few years ago. I was putting on a free baseball "boot camp" at my high school. At the end of the camp there was "hit live bp on the field" till you can't or don't want to swing anymore. I remember seeing this young lean lh hitter swing the bat. I remember watching him swing and enjoying looking at that stroke. And I remember enjoying watching how much he loved to hit. And most of all I remember thinking to myself "This kid is going to be a great hitter one day." After the camp I had the pleasure of meeting HCD and his son. I was sold right then and there. Sometimes you just know a young man is special the first time you meet them.

I remember keeping up with HCDS through his hs years. I kept thinking to myself "Someone is going to get a steal when they sign that kid." I remember talking to several coaches about players. I would always mention him. I also remember being thrilled when I heard he had finally signed with his college program. I am so happy for him and his Dad. And I am sure we will be hearing a lot more about him over the next several years. Good things happen to good people.
One of the best things about this site is not only can you share the joys and heartaches of the game with others who understand, you feel like there is an invisible community out there rooting for your kid. What a great feeling.

Coach May, thank you for these kind words and reminding me of one of the truly special days in my son's baseball career. It was special simply because he met you. He still speaks of you with appreciation and wonder. Appreciation for all you have done for him; wonder that a grown man would put on a free baseball camp in December on a day better suited for the Iditarod than batting practice.
Allow me to brag on our "summer catch":

Our own JH throws a complete game, 9 K-no walk 7 hitter in his first start as Oneonta defeats #15 UMass Boston, 3-1.

A very impressive start especially for a guy coming down from the frozen tundra.... going back to how he ended last season, this guy has to be averaging well under 1 walk per 9 innings over his last 30-40 innings....
Last edited by hokieone
quote:
Originally posted by hokieone:
Allow me to brag on our "summer catch":

Our own JH throws a complete game, 9 K-no walk 7 hitter in his first start as Oneonta defeats #15 UMass Boston, 3-1.

A very impressive start especially for a guy coming down from the frozen tundra.... going back to how he ended last season, this guy has to be averaging well under 1 walk per 9 innings over his last 30-40 innings....

Impressive indeed. I believe JH is going to get a chance at the next level as well. First things first. I think his present team has a chance to do special things and possibly finding themselves playing in Wisconsin this spring. If they can get every guy buying in, they have a chance.
Rob- I didn't know that but I suppose that can't be terrible information to have for the future...if I find myself in the Pacific northwest at any point...

As mentioned here previously, I threw against UMass-Boston earlier in our spring trip to Florida. They were a very aggressive offensive team and I was able to locate my offspeed stuff very well throughout the game. The biggest jam I fell into was in the 5th inning when I got out of a bases loaded, nobody out jam with 2 K's, a groundout and a whole lot of luck.

I threw earlier today against Amherst College from Massachusetts. I pitched into the 8th inning and frankly, ran out of gas. I gave up 8 hits in the game, with 6 of them being in the 7th and 8th innings. I ended up yielding 3 earned runs over 7 1/3 innings and got a ND (we lost 6-4 in 12 innings). My overall line for the Florida trip reads:

2 games
1-0 record
2.21 ERA
16 1/3 IP
15 H
4 ER
0 BB
14 K

Being that these were my first two career collegiate starts, I am very satisfied. I think the coaching staff was happy with my performances overall, being that I was able to locate and keep my pitch counts relatively low (105 pitches in 9 innings on Sunday, 98 pitches in 7 1/3 innings on Thursday). I just got back to school a little while ago and we have a day off before hitting the practice field hard to prepare for a non-conference game next Tuesday and then our conference home opening weekend next weekend.

Thanks again for the shoutouts from everyone, I'll keep you guys updated whenever I can
Josh,
Sometimes D3 is frustrating.
Yesterday for me involved period searches on the Red Dragon site, the Amherst site and D3baseball.com...looking for the box. Had the score.
Where is the darn box score?
Even from 3,000 miles away, I had a feeling you had come back and pitched yesterday.
Honestly, I look at your effort yesterday as being a more compelling picture of who you are and who you are becoming as a pitcher than Sunday. What you did in the off-season, I would think, put you in a position to come back on short rest and be very successful. What you did from September to last Sunday can be what success on a college diamond is all about.
As many say, the mark of a very good pitcher isn't the ability to get outs with their best stuff and on their best day. To me, yesterday is the measure of a terrific outing and a young lefty showing how good he is. It is also, for me, evidence that there is more upside for you.
Nice job would be an understatement..and now the next challenge.
How about you take a week off and build toward next weekend? Wink
infielddad- I get frustrated also with the lack of technological capability the people involved seem to be showing. But in the end, I suppose the information that is desired is seen by the people that need to see it, and the rest is no rush...I assume that's the way they look at it.

I do not like throwing on short rest, especially early in the season. Coach typically tries to throw guys on short rest in Florida but tends to try to keep their pitch counts down. When I threw 105 pitches on Sunday I wasn't sure if I'd be able to rebound for Thursday's game. I did a lot of work from Sunday evening-Wednesday evening to make sure I would be physically ready to give my best effort come game time. The offseason preparation that we do is very good, although I don't think its really possible to prepare for 100 pitches twice in 5 days regardless of what you do. Up to this point in my life the worst arm injury I've had is 2 bouts with tendonitis, so maybe the fact that I have the ability to bounce back on short rest is just a testament to my genetics.

One thing I have noticed through my first two appearances, and something that I think some here would be interested in hearing, is that much of my success has been largely because of my changeup. In the past, I've always had a good curveball and was able to locate both that and a fastball. While playing in the Coastal Plain League over the summer, I started realizing that the more advanced hitters I found in that league (the overall skill level was considerably higher than that of the average DIII hitter) were able to adjust to the typical fastball/curveball combination. My ERA in the CPL went from 0.79 to 5.23 in a span of one week. I started throwing flat ground bullpens every single day, throwing exclusively changeups. I figured that if I could develop the pitch better then the hitters would have a more difficult time because they'd have to worry about my ability to locate a third pitch. I didn't see the mound in a game during the summer for about 2 weeks and just strictly worked on the changeup. By the end of the season, my ERA was down to 2.50.

The work that I did over the summer and continued to do into the offseason on the changeup has given me the ability to feel much more comfortable throwing that pitch in any count. Out of the 14 strikeouts I have in my 16 1/3 innings thus far, I believe 6 or 7 were on changeups. I've started throwing first pitch changeups, 3-2 changeups, etc. The ability to throw all your pitches for strikes is something I believe is crucial to be successful as a pitcher in the long run
quote:
Originally posted by J H:
infielddad- I get frustrated also with the lack of technological capability the people involved seem to be showing. But in the end, I suppose the information that is desired is seen by the people that need to see it, and the rest is no rush...I assume that's the way they look at it.

I do not like throwing on short rest, especially early in the season. Coach typically tries to throw guys on short rest in Florida but tends to try to keep their pitch counts down. When I threw 105 pitches on Sunday I wasn't sure if I'd be able to rebound for Thursday's game. I did a lot of work from Sunday evening-Wednesday evening to make sure I would be physically ready to give my best effort come game time. The offseason preparation that we do is very good, although I don't think its really possible to prepare for 100 pitches twice in 5 days regardless of what you do. Up to this point in my life the worst arm injury I've had is 2 bouts with tendonitis, so maybe the fact that I have the ability to bounce back on short rest is just a testament to my genetics.

One thing I have noticed through my first two appearances, and something that I think some here would be interested in hearing, is that much of my success has been largely because of my changeup. In the past, I've always had a good curveball and was able to locate both that and a fastball. While playing in the Coastal Plain League over the summer, I started realizing that the more advanced hitters I found in that league (the overall skill level was considerably higher than that of the average DIII hitter) were able to adjust to the typical fastball/curveball combination. My ERA in the CPL went from 0.79 to 5.23 in a span of one week. I started throwing flat ground bullpens every single day, throwing exclusively changeups. I figured that if I could develop the pitch better then the hitters would have a more difficult time because they'd have to worry about my ability to locate a third pitch. I didn't see the mound in a game during the summer for about 2 weeks and just strictly worked on the changeup. By the end of the season, my ERA was down to 2.50.

The work that I did over the summer and continued to do into the offseason on the changeup has given me the ability to feel much more comfortable throwing that pitch in any count. Out of the 14 strikeouts I have in my 16 1/3 innings thus far, I believe 6 or 7 were on changeups. I've started throwing first pitch changeups, 3-2 changeups, etc. The ability to throw all your pitches for strikes is something I believe is crucial to be successful as a pitcher in the long run

Great post Josh.

Speaking from a hitters perspective, what I've noticed at the upper levels of the sport like the CPL league which you speak and beyond is the pitcher's ability to pitch backwards. In other words, you get breaking balls and changeups in what were formerly fastball counts at the lower levels.

One key for a pitcher imho is to have confidence that a curve or a changeup will be a strike or at least something the hitter will offer at. I think another important thing is to trust your defense. There is no defense against a walk.
I can see where Cory gets his great personality and humble attitude. The apple does not fall far from the tree. That was a great post and your perspective is awesome. It is very easy to pull for a young man like your son. Now lets get game 1 tomorrow!

Antzdad thanks a bunch. I will def check that out because I am not going to able to make the games this weekend. Its a huge series early in the season. If we can get Manshine38's son a few runs I like our chances alot tomorrow.
Checking in at the end of our non-conference schedule. Hasn't been a pretty start to our season, as we return from Florida 7-12 for the season. We've played a tough schedule including #24 Millsaps, then #10 Mississippi College, Huntingdon (received votes in latest poll), Emory, #8 Marietta, Piedmont, Montclair St. (received votes in latest poll), #1 Heidelberg, Carthage (received votes in latest poll) and #16 Wooster. We've played all these teams competitively and with a couple exceptions just haven't been able to pull out that big win. Most of these teams beat us late or in extra innings and 3 of our wins have been on our own walk offs.

Every game we played in Florida (against Heidelberg, Carthage, and Wooster 2x) was a 3-2 effort with just one being a Rhodes win (Wooster). I made the second start (my second start as well) against Wooster, which we lost in the 12th. We're not big fans of Wooster after hearing the things that come out of their dugout during games, and what they said to our losing pitcher.

We're constantly reminded that we're playing such a tough schedule early in the year that playing a really good game with a mistake or two will rarely be enough, and that is too true. While we did have a few games that were played badly, much of the time we have played fairly well. Nonetheless, we don't play to rack up "good" losses. At this point, our only chance for an NCAA berth is the old fashioned way, winning our conference.

Conference starts this weekend against our biggest competition to win the Eastern division, DePauw. We hope to see a revival from our offense and our pitching and defense keep rolling.

The most frustrating part of our offensive woes is that the struggling players are guys that have already proven they can hit at this level. We have several all-conference hitters, some of them multiple times, that are just struggling mightily. Maybe it's the new bats, but it's hard to say and I really doubt that it is.

The buzz around the program was that this year's team would be the best we've ever had, and so far no good. I've honestly been itching to pick up a bat and have a go of it myself. The most important thing to do now though is to refocus on the new season ahead of us and make sure the pitching is still hot when the bats come back.

I'll update after the weekend's games, I don't expect to pitch until I start one of our midweeks this coming week.
quote:
Originally posted by gotwood4sale:

Thank you for a very concise and well written summation of Rhode's season so far. Keep battling and keep us posted JPontiac.

What he said! Thoroughly enjoyed that JKennedy.

Wooster needs to lose the attitude. Last I checked, they haven't won anything. They are known for being ranked high each year and faltering when it counts most. A little humilty and a re-focus to deeds (not dialog) would likely do wonders for them.

Heidelberg is for real. Most people probably have not heard of them but they are for real and currently undefeated and ranked #1 in the nation. All those teams on your list JKennedy are powerhouses. That is college baseball at its finest and you have been experiencing it personally! Your team just might be a sleeper down the road if they played all of those that closely.
Last edited by ClevelandDad
quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
quote:
Originally posted by gotwood4sale:

Thank you for a very concise and well written summation of Rhode's season so far. Keep battling and keep us posted JPontiac.

What he said! Thoroughly enjoyed that JKennedy.

Wooster needs to lose the attitude. Last I checked, they haven't won anything. They are known for being ranked high each year and faltering when it counts most. A little humilty and a re-focus to deeds (not dialog) would likely do wonders for them.

Heidelberg is for real. Most people probably have not heard of them but they are for real and currently undefeated and ranked #1 in the nation. All those teams on your list JKennedy are powerhouses. That is college baseball at its finest and you have been experiencing it personally! Your team just might be a sleeper down the road if they played all of those that closely.

Heidelberg is certainly for real. They're a team that has a lot of talent and doesn't give you anything. We saw their ace and he was especially fun to watch pitch and in my case to chart, because him and I have very similar stuff. He didn't throw hard enough to overpower anybody, just threw a 2-seamer/sinker and changeup with the occasional breaking ball. He drew a lot of swings early in the count, and was willing to throw his good changeup in any count. Him and I actually have very similar stuff and I'm going to work on using some of the pitch sequencing and the like that he used in that game against us. In my and my coach's opinion, the only difference between him and I is how refined he was in that he rarely if ever made a mistake pitch. It's encouraging to see how close I can be to All-American status like him (forgot the name).

To update, we swept a doubleheader against our biggest conference rival DePauw today, 2-0 and 4-3, the latter coming on a walk off. We play the final game of the series tomorrow, and a sweep would be huge not only for team morale but also for setting us up to win our division. I'll update with the (hopefully good) news tomorrow!
Tough lost today. armomstrong atlantic scored 5 runs in the bottom of the 9th to take the win 8-7 . we need to bounce back today and take 2 games. Note ( cory"s face is a ball magnet ) got a line drive hit at him today ,but did get glove on it and walked away with a bruised and swollen jaw. ) it shook him up a little in the 3rd inning but pitched 4 1/3 more innings. After what happened in the fall, he must really love baseball, and is one tough kid. Can't say that about us parent's tough. scared the **** out of us.
Go Lander
Happy to report that we completed the sweep of DePauw in extremely exciting fashion. Entering the bottom of the 9th down 7-4, we tied the game up after a few free passes and big hits. In the bottom of the 10th, with two outs, our JR CFer (a late entry to the game) hit a walk-off HR to right field. At this point, 5 of our 10 wins are on walk off hits, 2 of which are home runs (the other was a grand slam!).
Hello, JPontiac,

I was at the game you mentioned between Rhodes and Heidelberg. My son is a freshman at Heidelberg. He is also a pitcher. The person that pitched against Rhodes was Ethan Holt. Your description was right on. Not a power pitcher, but a master of location. He doesn't waste a lot of pitches. It might interest you to know that he is just a sophomore.

Heidelberg suffered their first loss of the season on Saturday against Adrian College, losing 2-1 in 10 innings. They left many men on base, just couldn't get the timely hit to drive them in. They got even on Sunday by winning 2-1, again in 10 innings. The two games were eerily similar. Adrian looks to be a formidable regional opponent.
I've been following Danny Boydston's son's progress closely since he and I collaborated via PM in the offseason. To hear about everything that went into the rehab process and to see the immediate success that stems from it is very gratifying for me, and I'm sure many others here. Big time congrats!

quote:
Boydston, also a 4.0 student majoring in marketing, expects even more as the season rolls along.

clapping

Can't wait to see that 26-K ball in Cooperstown. My school is 20 minutes away from the HOF, I'll be sure to keep a close look out for the display in the near future next time I visit.
Last edited by J H
It was a good weekend. 17's team came back to win the series after a one sided loss in game 1, a thrilling come from behind win in game 2 where they were down 10-1, and then a defensive 5-2 win in game 3. It was a good weekend to see 17 coming back at the plate a little with his bat. It was good to see his confidence grow with each inning at the plate and behind it.

But the best part of the weekend was a little interchange his mother and I happen to witness in the bullpen. A sophomore pitcher just came out of the game after going in for relief and giving up 5 runs (2 earned) in 2/3 of an inning in the midst of our 10-1 slide. We see the pitcher go into the empty bullpen and begins smacking his glove on the ground and bending over in obvious frustration. My wife commented it looked like he was getting sick as he collapsed to the ground in a sitting position.

Then we see 17 walk in to the pen and put his hand on the big guys shoulder, lean over and say a few words. Pitcher gets up and returns to the dugout. We wait until evening to talk to son and ask him if Pitcher is ok. He says yes. Like usual we have to dig a little and ask what the deal was. He said he told the guy come on, it’s alright, c-r-a-p happens, come back to the dugout. Pitcher comes back to the dugout and then we proceed to score 13 runs, holding opposing team to 1 more run to secure the victory.

Baseball Karma for 17 – he had no idea that he would be going in to pinch hit next inning and play a big part of the victory. Some of his stats were erroneously recorded during the day – (questionable passed ball in the dirt, 3rd baseman getting a putout 17 made, other player given credit for 17’s run scored in the come back inning…) All he said about those was, “We won and that is all that matters.”

Do work.
Last edited by Backstop-17
Awesome post Backstop-17. A very powerful post. Character is revealed so many times in moments like this. Your son showed it and I know how proud of him you are for displaying it. You have a son who gets it and is the definition of a great team mate and player. My hats off to your son. Just reading that tells me your son is going to be a success and it has nothing to do with stats. Congrats!
Floridafan, apology not required - given that I posted in the College bragging thread, I got to get both my messages across. Smile

Coach May - coming from you that comment means a lot, all the baseball playing will fade away after its all over and I am certain it will be the relationships he remembers.

FF - tell E that 17 has plenty of POs to give away as a catcher!!
Leftysideson is still on the mend for some elbow pain so didn't pitch. He's been down about his injury and not being able to contribute so even though his team was playing a very tough team, and there was a 90% chance of getting rained out, we made the four hour trek just to check up on him.

We ended up watching probably the most memorable baseball we've ever seen! UNC Asheville, ranked at mid to bottom of the Big South Conference played against Coastal Carolina who is expected to win the conference and is ranked in the top 30 in the nation. Friday's game was a disappointing 13-2 loss but not a total surprise against draftable pitching. But something happened overnight and UNCA came back ready to compete.

Although it was cold, and it rained all over NC, it didn't hit the UNCA diamond. In Saturday's game we got to see the bulldogs keep level heads and fight back with just good plain baseball all the way through the bottom of the 9th at a tie with two outs and bases loaded. A freshman was up to bat and got walked to bring in the winning run for a 3-2 win. UNCA ended Coastal's 36 game in-conference winning streak with that game! Very exciting for the bulldogs! But that was nothing compared to Sunday.

Again we expected to get rained out and when the diamond stayed dry some of the parents were almost hoping for rain and could be heard to say it would be a bit hairy with Coastal's certain revenge mode. They came out after the bulldogs hard and fast. But like true bulldogs, UNCA fought steadily. They'd get a run and somehow we'd get a run. You know one of those games where no side conversations were going on as the inning was just too good to miss? And it kept happening inning after inning. The fans were going crazy just elated and proud that we were competing against Coastal and now into extra innings. At this point, even if we lost we would have still been cheering and giving standing ovations as they played with such heart and skill. In the bottom of the 12th inning with bases loaded and two outs, the same freshman that drew a walk the day before for a win, was up to bat. He had two strikes on him and with probably the biggest win or loss in his career hanging over his head, he still commanded his space over the plate. He knew all he needed was a base hit to bring in the guy on 3rd for the win. It was a nice and easy swing for a single over the 2nd baseman's reach. I have never seen a crowd cheer like that! There were actual tears in parent's eyes. What guts these guys showed.

A huge series win and it was done with the whole team. These coaches, true to their word let their boys compete for playing time. Not to take away from the upperclassmen that did an outstanding job on the field and on the mound during the weekend, but unusually, there were several freshman out there as well including 9 innings of pitching. The upperclassmen kept the tempo of the games and were true leaders and the underclassmen followed and competed. Truly one of the most memorable games I have ever attended. I know Leftysideson was disappointed he didn't get to pitch in such a great game but he couldn't have been happier for his team nor as satisfied with his college choice.
Last edited by Leftysidearmom
AntzDad - I feel your pain. Two weeks ago was the first time my son's team could practice outside. The snow in the northeast has been ridiculous this year.

My son played their first home game in the low 40s yesterday, after 15 games on the road including Spring Break. He pitched two innings, no hits, no runs, no walks, 1 strikeout. He is settling in it seems, and getting past that freshmen "deer in the headlights" feeling. Definite progress.

Watching a baseball game with video & stats over the Internet is extremely difficult when your son is playing. It is going to take significant adjustment on my part. But, it does have its advantages with an adult beverage made just the way I like it. ;-)
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
AntzDad - I feel your pain. Two weeks ago was the first time my son's team could practice outside. The snow in the northeast has been ridiculous this year.

Snowed out today and tomorrow. Play Sunday.

It's definitely a brave new world for freshmen. My son is learning that the pitchers are pretty darn smart. If you hit a certain pitch well, you'll never see it again.

Last edited by AntzDad
Ok, I know that this is weird, but miracles do happen....

My son Nick, the one with all of the knee surgeries, really-really-really wanted to go on his team's last road trip of the year --to Florida, he loves Florida---but the coach said no. Nick told him that he could pitch (although he hadn't pitched since 2006--he had Tommy John surgery in '07). By the way, the doctor from up here told him "no side to side" motion.

The coach had him throw a bullpen on Wednesday--the team left for the trip on Thursday.
After a few pitches, the coach asked him the last time he pitched? The last time he threw a curve ball? He went on the trip.

Not only did he go on the trip, but he came in the game in the 8th inning.....pitched the one inning-- his first game since May of 2009 and three surgeries later....He faced 4 batters: one fly out, one walk, one ground out and one strike out looking! You have no idea how proud I am.

I was at my daughters' softball double-header, the woodman was sort-of at home, listening to the game on the computer with the phone up to the speakers so I could hear it.....the fun part was his strike-out---the number 3 hitter whose on-base percentage is .603 and batting average .366..... and the announcer said, "What a curve ball for strike three! All the batter could do was walk back to the dug-out, shaking his head". They played a really good team. They lost both games, the first by a respectable score, the second, not so much...it was ugly.

Nick may never get another inning in another game. This may have been it. But he never expected to put on a uniform, never mind to play again. He had so much fun.
This was one of the best gifts he's ever received.

Thank you so much for letting me (I hope you don't think brag) share this amazing news. I am so happy for him and so proud that he found a way to play again before it truly is over.
quote:
Nick may never get another inning in another game.

Play Baseball,
What an inspiring way for me to start this week. Thank you for sharing that appearance, batter by batter.
For me, that one inning says so much about your son, his courage, love of the game, and the type of person and son he is. We can only imagine the fun and emotions your son must have been feeling, but it is very fun to imagine,for sure.
That one inning also says so much about you, as his parent..and fan. The fruit does not fall far from the tree.
Part of the fun of that inning and all it means to Nick is because of the journey and the support and strength you provided along the way.
Last edited by infielddad
play baseball,

What a "great" post! I think people here at HSBBW would love to hear about all positive updates about your son. Baseball and even beyond baseball.

I hope you continue posting long after your son plays his last game. You have so much to offer about so many things that could help others.

I've always felt there exists a certain "power". I can't really explain it very well, but do believe it works in many areas including sports. I think that power travels in a strange unscientific way and affects results. I don't think this is really any religious type thing, but some might say it would be similar to prayer.

That "power" belief is... If everyone were pulling very hard for a certain individual to succeed, that individual is going to be successful. Of course, because of competition, in most every case it would be impossible to have everyone wanting the same thing. But, IMO, the larger the group emitting this "power" of positive energy... the more powerful the impact.

Please don't think I'm crazy, even though that might be true.

The reason for mentioning all this is because I can't think of any person who would not be pulling for your son. And in a small way, he might have just had an experience with this "power".

Congratulations
Last edited by PGStaff
To be honest, it is because of posts like playbaseball's that I keep returning to this site.

We can never read too many of them...such a great experience this game provides, just starting as a player or in the middle, or near the end.

One of the neat things I like about going to son's college games is talking to the alumni players and parents that are either in their pursuit of MILB or have hung up their cleats for one reason or another (their choice or club's choice or never got the chance at the next level.) All of them look back at their accomplishments, and most of their memories are not about the baseball, it is about the people along the way.

Nick sounds like one of those guys you would want to run into along the way.
Last edited by Backstop-17
So true in the end it is about the moments and the people...

As much as we'd like to see our kids "fly" right now...it is these kinds of moments...those that are the hardest earned, that carry the most meaning...for us personaly and for our players long term. Won't get Nick a big splash in the media, a pro contract or a draft pick, won't let the woodman and woodwoman retire to a life of what they "wood"...but for those of us who have even a small inkling of what has been endured by Nick and the whole forrest, few moments of success have been harder earned, longer waited for or sweeter. Atta Boy!

Last edited by observer44
Son hit his first college home run today in a conference victory. Unfortuneately, I didnt get to see it. I have had bad luck in watching his games this year. I can only make a few of his home games, and none of his road games. He has started every game except three this year, and I went to all of the ones he didnt start in.
My school's team is finally enjoying our first day off from practice or games in almost a month, since we arrived home from Florida. As some may recall, we finished our Florida trip at a very shaky 4-6 overall. Despite the fact that we were playing good teams, we knew we were better than that. Upon arriving back up north, we caught fire. We are now 15-7 and went on a streak of 11 consecutive wins before bowing out yesterday afternoon in a conference game. We sit comfortably in second place in the conference currently at 8-1. Our entire pitching staff has been outstanding thus far...there was a span of three consecutive complete game shutouts out of our starters and four consecutive outings with 0 earned runs. We have 3 starters with an ERA below 2.00 and a team ERA of 2.68 through 22 games.

We play an away game again tomorrow and an away DH Wednesday.
Last edited by J H
CD- We read an article that Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz used to compete in everything they did when they pitched together in Atlanta (things supposedly got heated on the golf course). We have a predominant four man rotation and decided we should have the same kind of friendly competition amongst our starters to see who can have the better numbers for the season. Its made everyone try to one-up one another, and it's been fun.

Pitcher #1: 5 apps, 4 starts, 4-0 W-L, 1.17 ERA, 38 1/3 IP, 34 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 29 K, 2 CG

Pitcher #2: 4 apps, 4 starts, 3-0 W-L, 1.80 ERA, 25 IP, 13 H, 8 R, 5 ER, 9 BB, 23 K, 1 CG

Pitcher #3: 5 apps, 5 starts, 3-1 W-L, 1.82 ERA, 29 2/3 IP, 16 H, 7 R, 6 ER, 12 BB, 29 K, 0 CG

Pitcher #4: 5 apps, 5 starts, 2-1 W-L, 2.70 ERA, 30 IP, 29 H, 15 R, 9 ER, 9 BB, 23 K, 1 CG
quote:
Originally posted by Coach Merc:
Bad news from the Merc family as Mike broke his jaw in 2 places on Sunday. In the top of the 7th with 2 out, Mike went to backhand a low linedrive that took a bad hop and hit him in the side of his face. He had surgery on Monday and his mouth is wired shut for 4-6 weeks. Its been a hell of a week.

cry

Ugh, always something, hope he's feeling better.
Rhodes will be playing in the conference tourney beginning Thursday as the number 1 seed, I am happy to report. We finished 11-5 in the conference, and 21-17 overall. We'll see Hendrix in game 1, then depending on the result, the winner (if we lose)/loser (if we win) of Trinity-Oglethorpe. We'll be having two important pitchers, our #2 starter and #2 reliever, returning from injuries for the tournament. The tournament format is double elimination with six teams.

For me, I don't have much to report. Since my first real tough start (3 IP, 4 ER) a few weeks ago, I haven't seen any action. I'll be ready to go for the tournament, but honestly have no clue what my role is/will be. I'm fairly certain if a starter has to exit very early, they'll dial my number. Beyond that, I'm not sure if I would get tabbed for the potential 4th or 5th games as a starter. One thing is for certain though, I believe that if we get that deep I'll have to go in some capacity. I've always been at my best in high leverage situations, so I'll be ready for whatever they throw at me. Had a productive scrimmage outing last week in which I was fairly tuned up with command. I feel like I have it all together as of today's bullpen session, because I got the sink back on my fastball, which had been absent for a couple outings.

I'll update as we progress through the tournament!
JPontiac,
I love, absolutely love your post and approach to the SCAC tournament.
Getting yourself ready and confident for any situation is a very solid mind set.
To be honest, a 6 team, double elimination leaves the coaches assuming they will play well but working ideas on what happens if someone does not get the job done.
Good luck.
This one is a further step up in intensity.
I have been watching your progress throughout this season. Look at every positive. They are there.
The tournament is bookmarked.
Take it easy on the guys from TU though, okay? Wink
Here is an update for those of you familiar with my son's injury situation:

He was cleared to play last week after rehabing an elbow injury. His coach gave him the choice of red shirting or playing. After considering all of the possible reasons, he decided he wanted to play this year. He pitched 2 innings in a jv game last Thursday against Ashland, faced 6 batters, 1 hit, 2 k, threw 20 pitches. Sunday, Heidelberg was being killed 10-0 by Marietta, the #2 DIII team in the country. Coach decided to put son in with 2 out and 1 on in the bottom of the 6th. First pitch was a strike, next pitch sailed over the right field fence with the help of a 40 mph wind. He walked the next two, then struck out the next batter. He came back out in the 7th, gave up a leadoff double, but the runner never advanced, as the next 3 batters went down ground out, strike out, ground out. While he was mopping up innings in a game that was well out of reach, he still gained valuable experience against one of the best teams in the country. He is now traveling with the varsity. Thanks again to everyone who offered such valuable support, advice and insight while we dealt with his injury.
Rhodes had a pretty crazy and certainly not all bad tournament, although we were eliminated last night. We started off by beating Hendrix on the strength of a great complete game performance by our ace.

We kept rolling by beating Oglethorpe in the aforementioned 21 inning thriller. We started our #2 who was coming off an injury, and he had to exit early after just not being 100% healed. We then had a solid relief effort from one of our top set up guys for 2 and a third, followed by a 10 and two thirds inning, 167 pitch (I charted them all) effort by our star closer Hunter Chandler. Taylor Babich pitched the remaining four innings (if memory serves me right). After a straight steal of home to tie the game in the top of the ninth, we scored the next run in the game in the 21st inning on an infield single. There were several times in those "middle" innings (aka 10-20) in which a call or bounce another way could have easily ended the game. A bases loaded, no out, jam was broken up by a double play turned on a failed suicide squeeze by Oglethorpe. We forced the out at home and tagged a runner that had ran past third celebrating, thinking the game was over. Almost ten innings later, Taylor Babich made a dive and toss to get the out at home on another suicide squeeze. Likewise, there was a play in which our go ahead run was overturned after a ruling that our batter was in the baseline when he was hit by the throw. Very emotional and draining game, but a great story to tell for sure. The amazing thing about such a long game is that I surely left out extremely memorable plays and game changing plays.

The next day, we squared off with the other undefeated team in the tournament, Trinity. It was a clean, well played game on both sides. Our sophomore conference starter turned in a great full game performance, but came out on the short end. The bats didn't come through, but that's the game sometimes and against a team like Trinity we weren't hanging our heads too much that the ball didn't bounce our way in that game.

We waited for the next game to determine our opponent for the nighttime elimination game. I was told I'd start, and then after some reconsideration I was indeed given the ball. I was encouraged to really up my intensity for the big game, and in the end that is a big thing that backfired. I got way too emotional and lost control of what was going on too often because of it. I've always been super-relaxed on the mound, and throughout this year when things have gone wrong it has been perceived that it has been caused by a lack of focus. When it comes down to it, it always comes down to a lack of execution. I'm pretty ashamed of the way things went but at least it didn't end up looking so bad on paper and we had a chance in the game. Needless to say, not much right for us as a team the rest of the game and here we are now, with two "regular season" games left against the same team, Hendrix next weekend. Coach believes there is a small chance we get an at large bid so we may have a lot at stake in those two games. If not, we still have our senior day regardless.

If, as it seems, we don't make the NCAA, it's not all bad. I'll get a quicker start on my summer internship and two jobs here in Memphis and a chance to go home before those commitments begin. It's been a long and emotional season and I will be ready for a little bit of spare time.

Congrats to the Trinity Tigers, they were certainly the deserving winner of the SCAC!
JPontiac - absolutely loved that report. You are a fine writer - a very fine writer!

Now you see why experience counts so much at the college level. Now you have experience. Next time your experience will tell you how to prepare for and ultimately "execute" during the moment when your name is called.

The hsbbweb is very misleading sometimes. Sometimes, all we hear is good news around here and of course we all love that. Learning from failure is also good news. All players fail at one point or another. The great ones learn from defeat and get'em the next time.
JPontiac,

Nice post.Baseball is such an emotional roller coaster.I just have so much respect for you guys to go out and battle game after game.I have learned so much watching my own sons ups and downs in the game.But I am astounded by the resilience of you young men.I think that is the great lesson in all of this.The ability to rebound, and attack the game the next time.I guess thats why you guys made it this far, because of your tenacity to face failure and still fight on.Shows an awful lot of character that will take you far beyond baseball.

"Eternity is longer than a baseball season"
fanofgame,
I should repeat your comment to JPontiac - - nice post. Over the years, we have faced a lot of criticism from folks because we have invested so much time and attention to our son's baseball. In the last 2 or 3 years as we have seen him mature from a relatively shy 16 or 17 year old to a confident 19 year old college player we realize we made the right choice 10 years back. It was at that time his coaches saw something in him and came to us to encourage us to try to develop that. Not that I'm saying he is the next Johnny Bench, but he does have some talent and a burning desire. Will he ever play MLB, odds are he won't. BUT, has he learned valuable life lessons which will be with him once he leaves the ballfield for the last time. Absolutely! And isn't that what good parents do for their kids, give them opportunities to develop. Thanks for letting me vent! HAHA.
Carol,

I agree and we faced much of the same criticism.My son will be a senior next year and I am just shocked by how fast it went by.My son had hoped to get drafted this year,but his stats are'nt great.The funny thing is he has smashed the ball consistently all year right at someone, or the OF makes so stupendous catch.Last night when on two srtikes he took the ball to the 380 mark that was drilled, OF went back and was spinning around trying to find it off the wall, and somehow came up with it almost falling over himself, and snowconing it.One of the parents came to my husband and said your son is the unluckiest hitter I have ever seen.I have never seen a kid hit the ball HARD consistently and find a way to not have a hit.

Tough stuff, esp when its been a battle anyway this year in other ways. But God has a plan, and I tell my son every day, Gods plan is better than any plans we make.So whaever happens in baseball, God will prosper and bless our sons beyong measure.

That is my prayer every day,Lord Bless my son,Lord protect my son, Lord help my son to lean on YOU and not baseball.Lord give me the stregnth to lift my son up to you everyday,To let you, and let go.Lord thank you for the gift of a wonderful ypung man to raise and love.Thank you for the blessing of him.Thank you every day.
quote:
Originally posted by fanofgame:
That is my prayer every day,Lord Bless my son,Lord protect my son, Lord help my son to lean on YOU and not baseball.Lord give me the stregnth to lift my son up to you everyday,To let you, and let go.Lord thank you for the gift of a wonderful ypung man to raise and love.Thank you for the blessing of him.Thank you every day.

I love that prayer as well. Look, God has a plan for your son. Its not your plan. Its not my plan. Its Gods plan. God does not make mistakes. Put your faith in the Lord and not in yourself. Its out of your hands and its out of my hands. And lets be honest whose hands would you rather your son be in? Your own or Gods?

We have to have faith and we have to trust. And we have to keep all of this in perspective. Baseball no matter how important to us or our children is still just a game. Life is not a game. The lessons taught them through this game and its experiences are far more important than the actual games played. They are going to be a man a lot longer than they are going to be a baseball player. They are going to be our sons the rest of our lives.

Put it in the Lords hands and then step back and thank God for the blessings he has given us. He is perfect and he does not make mistakes. If its in the Lords hands we can sleep knowing that all is well. My prayer is that my son's will learn to lean on God and have a personal relationship with him. And then they will have the peace of mind in knowing that everything is in his hands.

I know many here do not like to hear people talk like this. Julie can delete this post if it offends anyone. But someone will read it before that happens. So its all good. My prayer for all of your sons is the same as it is for mine.
fanofgame,
I was talking to a USC grad yesterday who didn't hit well in the Cape Cod league and wasn't drafted after his junior season at USC. He had a solid season as a senior and was drafted. He also was doing quite well in minor league ball until his playing career was unfortunately ended by an injury suffered in a car accident.
It's hard to believe that the DII Season is over. It went really fast but peering back I see how much he "grew" as a man (both physically and maturity) this first year.

The quality of Baseball has been outstanding. Conference Tournament being held next week to be followed, hopefully for us, by Regionals in N.C. I really like the game resulting from BBCOR bat changes. Jr. is excited about the chance to play in the post season. Also, he is looking forward to Summer play and all the conditioning/training he has planned prior to Fall ball beginning anew...

I trust everyone has enjoyed their year!
Our season is (probably) officially over now. If the right teams lost this past weekend, and we took two from Hendrix, we would have been a lock for the at-large. The right teams lost, but Hendrix took Sunday's game from us on our senior day in the midst of storms that meant I had to help shop vac the outfield for a couple hours before the game, then an hour long tornado siren delay in the eighth before coming out again, reworking the field, and having the game called due to lightning after a half inning.

What sticks with me in particular is one of our senior closers coming out of the game, fully knowing he had thrown the last pitch of his career. He was obviously upset at the thought and I'm already afraid of that day when I throw my last.

Apparently there's a miniscule chance that we're still in it. Coach plans to let us know today or tomorrow once he finds out. More than likely, our season is done and we missed it by 1 game. It's been several years running now that we've missed the at large bid by 1-2 games. This year we had that big intangible on our side, travel cost. The regional is hosted by Rhodes.

I have yet to make a decision about summer ball. I'm staying in Memphis and interning at Action News 5, a short drive from campus this summer. With that, my summer research assistant position, and my summer RA duties I'll have to talk with coach about whether I'll be able to find time to play summer. If not, I'll still be on our strength and conditioning program.
Well, fenwaysouth jr's (freshmen) season ended today. They had a non-confernce makeup game today that got cancelled, and will not be rescheduled. His team got a lot of seniors in this weekend when they were mathematically eliminated. I really feel for the seniors and their families, as some will not play baseball again. I guess it is part of the circle of baseball life. That will be my son and some of his teammates in a few years, but I try not to think about that too much.

It was an exciting year full of ups and downs as freshmen pitching parents. The coaches seemed to have a definite plan for my son. His first college appearance was against #1 UVA when they were down a bunch of runs (in relief). It was his "forging steel", or "oh sh*t" moment as I like to call it. Then he came in middle relief for a few innings during some Spring Break games, and did well. Then he started a mid-week non-conference game at home, which was followed by a weekend conference start at home. This was followed by starting some conference games away. It was a steady progression of gaining experience, learning, and increased responsibility.....makes sense. My wife and I really enjoyed talking to the player's parents, and listening to all the team stories. Pretty interesting stuff. There are so many lessons learned. Most of all, I think I learned to relax and enjoy the moment when my son was on the mound. I genuinely appreciate the opportunity, his hard work, and everything about the game of baseball. I can't wait for next year! Big Grin
CAD,
Thanks for that information.Its all good.he is healthy, passing all his classes, hitting 4th after not playing in beginning of season.Tough year in so many ways I couldnt even write it on a blog.Hope and pray next year is better for entire team and program.If they gave a BA for hard hit balls right at people he would be hitting .400.Not a lucky hitter at all this year.God has a plan, and my son is an awesome man.I am so proud of him in so many ways.
I have to share that the best part of our weekend after being swept, is that two families told me that my son had reached out to their sons during this season, one a frosh who the parents told me my son has welcomed him and made him feel a part of the team.Another family of a young man who has struggled fitting in with the team, and my son has befriended him and made him feel welcome and what a blessing it was as he was having a tough time.That made the entire season for me.it showed me that even though my son has had his struggles this year in his own way, he has been a good teammate and friend.That is such a great attribute, and I felt blessed.
Interesting developments for Rhodes.

We are currently ranked 5th in the region, which was a surprise after our loss this past weekend. I think I know more about the ranking process than I am supposed to, but I really am thankful for my coach putting is in the position that we were in. Being battle tested against an unbelievably tough schedule may very well pay off big time for us. The 5 seed in the South region has made it 7 out of the past 8 years. Coach tells us our odds probably aren't that good, since numbers are down this year generally and therefore our record doesn't stack up with the typical 5 seed. It is a possibility that we get passed over in favor of an out of region team. A huge thing in our favor, though, is that we are the regional host.

However, the odds are good enough that we will practice next week in preparation for the hopeful at large bid. Rhodes has never made an NCAA regional in baseball and only once before (5 years ago) did we decide to take this measure to practice after finals/graduation in preparation for a possible at large berth.

It's an exciting time, although a little disappointing that I won't get to be home more than a couple days before returning for baseball and beginning my work/intern commitments shortly thereafter, it hurts my mother dearly that she won't get those 2 weeks with me like she anticipated. Coach has put me on what he calls a tentative 24 man roster, which is very encouraging because I honestly didn't expect it. We plan to do live scrimmages this week so he is probably willing to make changes based on that, and travel may cost us a player or two as well. I know that me having a good start is an absolute key to us going far in the regional, and I didn't come up with that start in our last tournament. Luckily, I may be able to show them the pitcher that I honestly haven't been since fall ball/high school in this week's scrimmages. My last bullpens have been encouraging, after my dad pointed out to me that my arm slot was drastically lower than he had seen me last. Staying on top of everything has improved my command in bullpens, and command has been more or less my only limiting factor this year. Hopefully, I can show them they can indeed depend on me when needed and hopefully we find out that we will in fact be playing in the postseason.

Roll on Lynx!
JPontiac - you have me TOTALLY pumped up

I am pretty sure I am (at the very least) the biggest Rhodes baseball fan in all of Ohio (unless one of your teammates is from there) right now Big Grin

Seriously, this is what college baseball is all about. Excitement. Anticipation. Playing for something. Achieving something as a team. Giving it everything you got... etc... etc.

Your Dad has great advice obviously because he knows you better than any other person on the planet.

Here is my advice the next time you get the ball. Don't try and be Josh Beckett and don't try and be Tim Lincecum. Don't try and throw the ball through a brick wall and don't try an do something you are not capable of or uncomfortable with.

Merely, be JPontiac!

God made you unique unto the world and being JPontiac is more than good enough. Use those gifts you were given at birth and the one's your family has so lovingly nurtured all these years. Do that and no matter what happens, God will smile on you

All the best to the Rhodes baseball team and their quest for the regional
Well - my senior son just pitched the last game of his college career - went 7.1 innings and gave up 2 earned runs. Didn't get the win but the team did win in extra innings!

Bittersweet moment. It has been a wonderful experience even though his team struggled at times. He has made friendships with both the other players and the coaches that will last a lifetime.

These past 4 years have gone by so fast - tried to take in all the mental pictures to go along with all the wonderful memories. Next week graduation with a degree in engineering and then off to work in June with a great job opportunity. Life is good. Very thankful for the sport of baseball and all the lessons he has learned on and off the field - a good ride!! No superstar - just a hard worker who loves the game!
quote:
Originally posted by manshine38:
Lander upsets top seed Columbus State, in first round of Peach Belt tourney 3-2. Coach_ May son Jeff hits 2 run homer.
Go Bearcats.

God has smiled on Jeff May. Here is a kid and a father who have let the play on the field do all the talking - as it should be imho.

Good things happen to good people. Maybe not in the time we all would like but eventually they happen. I could not be happier for the young man and his Dad and of course his entire family
Sons team went into the last two weeks of the season looking good, with a shot at winning the regular season. But they went on a nine game losing streak to finish up poorly. But they got it together for the conference tournament and won the championship today. Off to regionals in a week or so.
After sitting out over half of the season with an elbow injury, son had a chance to pitch a few jv innings in late April. That led to 2 appearances and 4 innings in relief during conference games. Understandably, he looked a little rusty, but only allowed 2 runs in his 4 innings. Yesterday, he pitched 2 scoreless innings in relief in the OAC Championship game against the #1 DIII team in the country, Marietta. For the first time this year, he looked totally comfortable on the mound, and took over the situation on the field when a questionable call was made at second base. Sadly, they lost the game 7-3. Now we sit back and wait for the call to see if we are going to regionals.

I am so proud that my son worked through the rehab and made it back to contribute to the team. He was one of 6 freshmen to make the 25 man tournament roster. It nearly brought tears to my eyes to see him perform so well, and with such maturity, against such a high caliber of competition. I am looking forward to watching him play this summer.
quote:
Originally posted by OH BBMom:
After sitting out over half of the season with an elbow injury, son had a chance to pitch a few jv innings in late April. That led to 2 appearances and 4 innings in relief during conference games. Understandably, he looked a little rusty, but only allowed 2 runs in his 4 innings. Yesterday, he pitched 2 scoreless innings in relief in the OAC Championship game against the #1 DIII team in the country, Marietta. For the first time this year, he looked totally comfortable on the mound, and took over the situation on the field when a questionable call was made at second base. Sadly, they lost the game 7-3. Now we sit back and wait for the call to see if we are going to regionals.

I am so proud that my son worked through the rehab and made it back to contribute to the team. He was one of 6 freshmen to make the 25 man tournament roster. It nearly brought tears to my eyes to see him perform so well, and with such maturity, against such a high caliber of competition. I am looking forward to watching him play this summer.

Great story. I don't want to jinx things, but it will be travesty if the 'Berg does not get in. All the best to your son and his team on their quest back to Wisconsin!
My new college reporting thread!" Thanx to ClevelandDad, (Dan) I have a new thread to write on, all about college baseball...and I can still brag about my Grandson Jamie...Thanx again Dan!

OK, Jamie pitched in the CACC Championship game and they won, 10 to 3,
Slideshow of Wilmington U winning team, Jamie is #15 Wilmington U players winning Championship, 2011
Photos receiving Championship plaques and all the players received a beautiful wrist watch!

Jamie gave up 4 hits, 7 innings, 1 earned run and 7 K's...he's 9 and 1...they win Championship for 2011...Wilmington U winning Championship, 2011

tonight they will find out the rest of the teams they will be playing against in Conn. next week!

Slideshow of Wilmington U players, Jamie is #15

Thanx for looking...

Grandpop Bob

Last edited by Bob LaFazia
quote:
Bob - thanks for the great report! Like I said before, Jamie should have won 1st team all-conference imho and he probably deserves all-america considerations as well. The only things he can control is his attitude and effort however. Encorage him that way and let everything else take care of itself Smile

ClevelandDad...you to me are so worldly with baseball, any phase...and, everything you say is true...you know that I've made ALL kinds of ALL Teams in my lifetime from All City to High School All American...in-between 8 other All Star teams BUT I could never match what Jamie has done...he's one of a kind...not only Good in sports but top notch in behavior, personality, intelligence, and he knows what he wants! No problem with attitude and effort! Thanx again for your nice comments, lots of luck with you and family,

Regards,
Grandpop Bob

Hello again ClevelandDad,

Talked to son a little while ago. Found out that if his team would have won the 1st game yesterday, and forced a 2nd deciding game, he would have been the starting pitcher. How's that for your first collegiate start! Unfortunately though, not to be. Told him to stay sharp, they may need him in the regionals.
quote:
Originally posted by Bob LaFazia:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
Bob - thanks for the great report! Like I said before, Jamie should have won 1st team all-conference imho and he probably deserves all-america considerations as well. The only things he can control is his attitude and effort however. Encorage him that way and let everything else take care of itself Smile

ClevelandDad...you to me are so worldly with baseball, any phase...and, everything you say is true...you know that I've made ALL kinds of ALL Teams in my lifetime from All City to High School All American...in-between 8 other All Star teams BUT I could never match what Jamie has done...he's one of a kind...not only Good in sports but top notch in behavior, personality, intelligence, and he knows what he wants! No problem with attitude and effort! Thanx again for your nice comments, lots of luck with you and family,

Regards,
Grandpop Bob
----------------------------------------------------

The field of 48 for the 2011 Div. II Baseball tournament has been announced, Jamie's Wilmington U team is in the East Region, at New Hampshire, with 6 teams entered, their 3rd time to be selected...Adelphi is ranked #1 for the East Region...we play Southern Conn. in first game...Jamie's name was mentioned and pronounced correctly...they usually kill his last name, Treml...like Tremmy, Tremmel, a bunch more...here is the announcement on ALL 48 teams for Div. II...Wilmington again is in the Eastern Region bracket:
Div. II baseball selections

Grandpop Bob

---------------------------------------------------

Jamie picked Rookie of the Week, 4th time and last time, (end of season)
Jamie Rookie of the week, 4th time!

Grandpop Bob

Go Wildcats
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
JPontiac:

I see that you made it into the South bracket! Congratuations. Go get um!

Might want to check that again BOF. Ufortunately, Rhodes did not make it.

http://d3baseball.com/notables...selections-announced

Congrats to OHBBMOM as the Berg are in. What a regional that will be. See LauraZA's future team Case Western made it! Who else is going to regionals? What an exciting time!

Congrats Bob on Jamie's team making regionals. You may have some travel in the future!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BOF:
JPontiac:

I see that you made it into the South bracket! Congratuations. Go get um!

Might want to check that again BOF. Ufortunately, Rhodes did not make it.

http://d3baseball.com/notables...selections-announced

Congrats to OHBBMOM as the Berg are in. What a regional that will be. See LauraZA's future team Case Western made it! Who else is going to regionals? What an exciting time!

Congrats Bob on Jamie's team making regionals. You may have some travel in the future!

Thanx ClevelandDad...I don't travel far anymore, my daughter and son-in-law will though, they've seen every game!

Grandpop Bob

----------------------------------------------------

OK, Adelphi is #1 for the East Region...hope we meet again, "we got lucky and won two down Florida from them"...Jamie won his 2nd game...
Good Luck guys!!!
Florida SWING!

3/12/2011 –
Adelphi University Santa Luces Sports Complex - Florida
STRONG PITCHING POWERS WILDCATS TO SWEEP OF ADELPHI

SANTA LUCES, FL -- Two solid starting pitching performances powered the Wildcats of Wilmington University to a sweep of Adelphi University Panthers on Saturday afternoon. Wilmington won the opener by a score of 6-1 and completed the sweep with a 4-0 blanking in the nightcap.

In the opener, senior Kurt Bruce (2-0) scattered five hits and one run (earned) while striking out seven innings of work. Mike Godwin led the way offensively, going 4-for-4 with a pair of runs scored. Senior Bryan Woolford finished 2-for-4 with two RBI.

Freshman Jamie Treml (2-0) picked up the win, as he gave up just two hits and struck out 10 in the shutout victory. The ‘Cats managed just four hits, and Godwin led the charge again as he went 2-for-4 with three RBI. Matt Umba and Woolford added singles, while Joe Harbach scored twice.

Following the games, Wilmington improved to 12-1 on the season.

Grandpop Bob

Go WILDCATS!

JH,

Will Strasberg Express announce the starting pitchers in advance? I do quite a bit of business up that way, and I'd like to catch you and a few others that I know on the mound. If there is beer and some baseball, I'm as good as there. Please let me know.

All,

Congrats to all that made the D3 tourney. All three of the Virginia teams (Shenandoah, Christopher Newport and Randolph-Macon) are loaded with talent.
fenway- Shoot a PM over to hokieone. He is the GM of the team and would know better than me. As of right now I don't think I will be able to be starting games in the beginning of the summer because I am going through physical therapy to heal up a torn flexor muscle in my forearm. However as the season goes along and I regain some arm strength and stamina, if the team decides that I am ready to start and it would be fitting for the team, I will certainly let you know if/when that is scheduled.
Last edited by J H
quote:
Originally posted by baseball_fever:
Well, college season is over. Our son was a freshman at a pretty tough engineering school. He ended up being the only frosh to start and he did well at 3B. The team also tied for regular season championship but did not win the NCAA birth. Most importantly, my biggest concern, was his grades and he is holding his own. Amen!

You know baseball_fever, grades are the most important thing in college...grades first...ALWAYS!
You should be PROUD and I know you are that he was the only FROSH to start...quite an honor...hope he keeps up the good work!

Grandpop Bob

Wilmington U lose the 1st Region game, 2 to 1
Wilmington first game of Regions
Play again to at 3:00 PM against Adelphi, will keep you posted!

Grandpop Bob

Frown
Just found out from my daughter that Jamie was told from his coach that he (Jamie) had made Rookie of the Year for the Region...will keep you posted, getting nervous for 2nd playoff game with Adelphi...
we did take two from them in Florida but...this is a different ball game...we have a good pitcher starting the second game...if he's not ready..Jamie will be...if we win and Jamie doesn't pitch, then we'll see him in the 3rd game Saturday...will keep you posted!

Grandpop Bob

Well they lost, 6 to 5...was leading 5 to 1 then the bubble broke...as My Grandpop would say, "thatsa base a ball", cry
Last game!
Now Jamie's going to play Semi Pro ball this summer...its been fun!

Grandpop Bob

My Last Hooray for Jamie this year! Made a little slideshow from playing as a 7 yr. old to his Freshman Year in College...ENJOY!
Slide Show of Jamie TremlTurn on FULL SCREEN for larger show!

Thanx for L@@KIN'

Grandpop Bob
====================================================
Just one more: Five Wilmington University Wildcats Garner All-Region Baseball Honors...Jamie makes All East Region Rookie of Year!

This might be the last of his honors...THIS YEAR!

Grandpop Bob
Go Wildcats
Yesterday was the last game of the season for my son's team and it was also senior day.

There were only 2 seniors and the team/coaches found a nice way to honor both of the young men.

One senior was injured in a freak accident at practice early in the season which required major season ending surgery. To honor him at senior day, the senior came out to the mound on crutches to throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Then, the starting pitcher (a sophomore) and the injured senior traded jerseys on the mound so that the starting pitcher could wear the senior's jersey and pitch in his honor. Also, the entire team wore their pants up (showing socks) to honor the senior since this was his traditional uniform look.

The other senior played all 9 positions during the game and topped it off by hitting his first career home run!

It was a great day and a great way to honor the outgoing seniors!
Last edited by cheapseats

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.