Skip to main content

Bet that was fun for him Coach! My guy only had 4 days @ Christmas break to come back to snowy/cold Colorado before heading back to AZ. Flights were good both ways and it was great to see him. He was able to do a quick re-cahrge on the batteries and then head back to lifitng/drills/long toss. Official season will start soon, can't wait! It's been a long time comin since he's been out since July. Back to 100% now.....let er rip!
quote:
Originally posted by fenwaysouth:
Birdman,

Give me a holler if you're coming to Richmond Feb 18-20 for the 3 scheduled baseball games (weather permitting in Feb). There is a great BBQ/beer joint place near the Diamond called Buzz and Neds.

I definitely will. Sounds like a plan. Although I think the weather may be a bit better when you are up in NY in April!
Last edited by birdman14
Son's team had a grueling conditioning test today upon their return to school. They had to run 14 timed 100s and if they didn't meet the time on just one of them they failed the whole test. About half the team failed. Those who didn't pass now get to join the weight/conditioning coach every morning at 6:00 a.m. for some additional "fun".

The days when baseball was about playing games and getting snow cones afterwards appear to be over. Smile
quote:
You can work as hard as you want to be the best you can be, but in the end, its still a game. That will never change

True JH, especially to those that have never played seriously. To those athletes playing at the highest level, it becomes pretty to serious when they enter the field between the lines! Then, it's serious!
Last edited by Prime9
floridafan- I was just in the Carolinas on vacation...spent New Years Day in shorts and no shoes walking on the beach. It was 68 degrees. Everyone else was in winter jackets and boots. You southerners need to man up! Big Grin

On the mound, huh? Didn't see anything of that in Fayetteville.

K Complex- They're calling for 20 inches here, just like the one we had around Christmas time. And to think 6 AM workouts start in a week...good thing we have a big indoor arena at school
Last edited by J H
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Corner Dad:
Son's team had a grueling conditioning test today upon their return to school. They had to run 14 timed 100s and if they didn't meet the time on just one of them they failed the whole test. About half the team failed. Those who didn't pass now get to join the weight/conditioning coach every morning at 6:00 a.m. for some additional "fun".

The days when baseball was about playing games and getting snow cones afterwards appear to be over. Smile

HCD,
My son had the same type of thing. They had to run the length of a basketball court 8 times in under a minute. They had to do that 8 times with a 2 minute break between runs. He said the first couple times were easy. By the 6,7,8th time kids were pucking in trash cans. Lucky for him he made it.

The kids who didn't make it had to run 2 miles in 15 minutes the next day.
I got a sniff of Spring baseball today. Intra-squad scrimmage; 7 innings of great baseball on a 55 degree day under beautiful clear skies.

Same scheduled for tomorrow so guess I will jump in the car and make the two hour trip. Better enjoy seeing my Freshmen play and hit now as he has been told he and the other five freshmen won't see the Field on defense this year. His starts, when he gets one, will be at DH. So I'm living large on as many scrimmages as I can get to. Pitching was ahead of hitting as one might imagine. One homer hit, to the short left field 340' line. Not getting any out at 403' in center with BBCOR. Defense was great, pitching was great, viewing was great, outcome 2-0 game; Prime Jr. 2-3 (singles) and one K (against number one starter). All in all, good day for for a baseball fan watching his son!

I'm getting real antzie for baseball to start but wondering how Dad will adjust to watching his son's team play but with him on the bench for the first time? Guess I will adjust as I wait for his turn to come?
Last edited by Prime9
Yep it's tough watching your son sit on the bench but just be grateful he's got a spot on the team. They're usually better about it than us parents.

Here's your chance to step up and support the entire team and make your son proud! Go to as many games as you can and enjoy it. You think high school went fast- college goes even faster.
quote:
Originally posted by CaBB:
Yep it's tough watching your son sit on the bench but just be grateful he's got a spot on the team. They're usually better about it than us parents.

Here's your chance to step up and support the entire team and make your son proud! Go to as many games as you can and enjoy it. You think high school went fast- college goes even faster.

Thank you. That is great advice and I'm going to do just that and soak it all in. It is pretty cool seeing how close they all are, really nice to know and we (Mom and I) really enjoy them all; great kids! I'm learning to root for them all!

Thanks for the support
Prime9:

I would say that you have a great attitude and staying positive is important as a lot can happen over a college season. A lot of these things may include injuries, extended slumps by starters, off field issues, pinch hitting in a key spot, and many more opportunities to get his time.

Some may not see it this way, but I see a positive in that the expectation bar has not been raised high for those 5 freshmen by the coach. Perhaps the coach wants to see who wants it bad enough to prove his statement to them wrong, who knows. He knows what a grind the season is and that several things change. It is rare that the way the season starts is how it finishes, I will tell you that.

All I can suggest is that your son work harder than anyone on the team. Take extra BP and extra infield work. Volunteer for grunt work, and be seen as a team player. It will get noticed.
Backstop-17 & CaBB;

Attended yesterdays scrimmage; again 59 degrees and gorgeous for a winter day. 1-1 game with 7-innings played. Jr. played well and I certainly enjoyed the high quality baseball.

We took all 6 (included our son) of Freshmen players to dinner afterwards. Amazing how much College players appreciate a good free meal!

I agree Backstop with your "expectation bar" comments and suggestions.

Prime Jr. was moved from 1b to the outfield and looked very comfortable out there making one great diving play and doubling the runner off first. I'm giving him the advice given by the HSBBW experts; don't let anybody outwork you and my favorite; "attack the baseball every at bat." Who knows what the Season will bring.
Hey Cleveland....frosh son playing AZ JUCO set to begin with an Alumni game on the 30th, then first game is on the 2nd of Feb I believe. Talked to him the other day and he was saying how different it is for him being from Colorado and playing baseball in the "winter." Said he loved it but it felt strange. He is extremely excited to get the ball rollin'. So is dad.....
I was plesantly surprised.....

Yesterday I got to watch GUN's future college team during their first day of spring practice, 70 degrees, sunny. Very unusual weather, typically 30-40's with a very cold 20mph north wind.

The team has been using alot of wood and BESR 2010 bats all fall practices and thru fall series. They are a Louisville Slugger shop and did not get their Omaha BBCOR bats until the break. They got them out of the box, unwrapped them and the very first batter, first spring pitch..... Yep, went yard over the 30 foot monster in CF @ 400(+) ft. Not a lazy fly, a laserbeam rocket. It sounded different, but it looked the same going over the wall. So, 4 of the first 6 guys in BP rotation hit at least one HR.

It did not sound like a bell ringer, but it looks the same in the book.

GED10DaD
Went down to watch my son's team scrimmage this afternoon. It was 36 degrees at game time. I had so many layers on that I was literally bullet proof. Man, I am ready for winter to hit the road.

This is a team with a number of senior position players. These are grown men in the 220-240 lb. range. What caught my attention today, though, was that the freshmen I saw five months ago who looked miniscule standing next to the older guys suddenly don't look so puny. Five months of weight training has changed some bodies. I hardly even recognize my own kid when I see him from behind.

The only thing less impressive than the pop in BBCOR bats is the pop in cold BBCOR bats. My son had a couple of knocks today, so he was happy about that, but he is still grieving the loss of the rocket launchers in college baseball just as his career begins.
quote:
The only thing less impressive than the pop in BBCOR bats is the pop in cold BBCOR bats. My son had a couple of knocks today, so he was happy about that, but he is still grieving the loss of the rocket launchers in college baseball just as his career begins.

Hot Corner Dad: I agree totally, Prime Jr. says it's like hitting with a lead pipe! I'm with you on the cold weather disappearing; please, please, give me 95+ again, I won't complain!

I'm going to see BP on the field @ 12pm today followed by a 1:00pm Scrimmage. Prime Jr. was in town yesterday (Defensive Driving course- oh these boys) and we had lunch. I've never heard him more excited about baseball! He's fortunate, as a Freshman, to be at a place where the players and Coaches are so supportive and positive. But his excitement centered around the last few Scrimmage games where he finally threw caution to the wind, quit worrying about striking out and started "going for it." He went back to his normal "leg kick" and has been driving balls to the gaps, off and over the walls. He credited his hitting Coach for telling him what I've been telling his since September; we've invested in you, we believe in your hitting ability, you have the fastest hands on the team, now clear out the area between your ears and just let it happen."

I'm anxious to see how the AB's go today and am thankful to the Staff who realize they are dealing with a young man that needs their confident support for him to perform at his best!

pay attention to the coaches who will be working with your sons when selecting your school, as we all know, they can and do make a huge difference.
Last edited by Prime9
It's my son's twentieth birthday today but haven't spoken to him because they're practicing outside for once (due to weather) and lifting this evening. Hope to talk to him afterwards before weightlifting and meeting this evening. Season getting closer and closer and can hardly wait! The good news is that I was able to get off and will be able to see his first games in Abilene Feb 8th and 9th.
Practice starts in earnest on Friday at The U but there were two inter-squad games last week Thursday and Friday. It still freaks me out to see the kid in the green and orange...

This was the toughest fall season he's had. Work outs stated in Sept. with 4:45 a.m. S&C four days a week and running one afternoon a week at a local park that has a big hill.

The kid spent the winter break throwing with his h.s. teammate now at Rhodes. They both had a "prescribed" workout from their pitching coaches.

Surprisingly the kid finished his first semester with a 3.1 gpa. For some this might not be that great but considering the kid left the house at 4:30 each morning for S&C and had his first class at 8am. We were all very pleased.

Weight training continued during the winter break with the kid working out on campus (20 min. drive from home) where he got to work out with the alumni MLB/MILB players getting in shape for Spring Training. He was one of the few local kids to take advantage of being around the big league boys.

He did say that this was the longest "break" he's had since he tore his ACL his junior year.

We are all looking forward to the first real practice of the spring which is this Friday. Then the First Pitch Banquet is the 12th, and the season starts on the 18th.

I am still in the pinch me stage. Nothing like seeing a kid who worked so hard to make his dream come true, live it.
My son's team opens up next Tuesday. But if you guys could keep his Head Coach in your prayers I would appreciate it. Head Coach Kermit Smith's father passed away Weds. They were extremely close and Coach rushed home earlier in the week when he got the call his father was very ill. His goal is to get back by Tuesday for the game but you know it will be with a heavy heart. Kermit is from Florida and is down there with the family now as his players and coaches prepare for the season. Keep him in your prayers you know this is a very tough time for him. I know many of you have never met Kermit and may not know who he is. He is one of the finest men I have ever met. Thanks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.