Skip to main content

I am a High School student, freshman to be exact, and of course once you hit High School you have all the teachers, counselors, etc. asking you about your future, what do you want to do when you graduate high school? Do you want to go to college? What career would you like to follow? My team for quite sometime was to go to college play baseball on a full-ride and then graduate with either a business or nursing degree to become a Drug Rep(Pharmacial Rep). Of course a kid can dream right?Lately rumors have been going around that by the time I graduate from college with a degree to follow this career, they will be at an all-time low. Now this was when gas prices were out of the roof, but with more technology advances and the constant rising and falling gas prices(you have to admit they aren't going to stay low forever) that this career isn't the most secure.

For some reason, today of all days, I started searching other job choices. One that interested me the most was involving the sport I love, baseball and for some weird reason recruiting interested me greatly at the college and pro level. Scouting/recruiting has been on my mind all day. I know I am young and should worry about getting good grades so I can get in college in the first place but I have good grades A-B, straight A's last report card and all A's on exams, and I like this idea.

I am looking for some opinions about this idea I have. Anyone have experience? Anyone have there mind on the same thing? I know this is a decision I have to make but I would love some opinions too!

Thanks, Sawyer
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Lebanon ... I agree your thoughts are very articulate. It's too soon in high school to think about career choices. Some kids know. Most don't. My daughter wanted to be a teacher from the time she lined up her stuffed animals and her five years younger brother in class in her room. Now she's a junior in college majoring in forensic science and already took her LSAT's for law school.

Take all the AP and high honors classes you can handle. Get great grades. It will put you in good position to have several college options.

My son is a high school soph. He thinks he wants to attend a School of Management or major in economics if the college doesn't have an SOM. But who knows!

As for baseball scouts, the pay is poor and the travel high (by car). An alternative may be majoring in sports management. But just like with the players, there's a finite number of openings. Just like the players you would start in the middle of nowhere in the low minors.
Last edited by RJM
As RJM said, you are young yet to be focusing on a particular career. The best thing you can do is to equip yourself to be successful at whatever you choose to do later in life by continuing to pursue a passion to learn and to think critically. I would suggest you take a look at this article, which lays out one person's thoughts on what is important to concentrate on in and after high school. It is long, but I think you may find it illuminating:

http://paulgraham.com/hs.html
quote:
For some reason, today of all days, I started searching other job choices. One that interested me the most was involving the sport I love, baseball and for some weird reason recruiting interested me greatly at the college and pro level. Scouting/recruiting has been on my mind all day. I know I am young and should worry about getting good grades so I can get in college in the first place but I have good grades A-B, straight A's last report card and all A's on exams, and I like this idea.

Hope this doesn't dim your thoughts, but thought I would post... Having spent roughly 2/3rds of my life doing what you are interested in... If you are interested in making a lot of money, there are many better occupations.

On the other hand, if you want to do something that is interesting, challenging and if you absolutely love baseball... Then go for it!

You probably aren't thinking ahead that far, but it is not always the most conducive to raising a family. Then again that will depend on your future spouse. That will be a critical ingredient if you do choose that profession. People usually don't get into those fields if money is the major influence.

It's neat that you are thinking about it, though. Sports Management could be something to think about. Why not shoot for the front office? Smile More money up there!
Last edited by PGStaff
Sawyer:

I join in with the other parents in saying that your command of the english language is most impressive for a Freshman - and that your grades are also something you should be proud of.

As for a future career, something to consider is that the average American will change careers 3 times in their working life - and that number is expected to continue to rise.

To me, the best thing I did was to develop a broad range of skills - which has allowed me the freedom to move and change as my life and interests have progressed.

For now, as a Freshman in high school, the most important thing you can do is to take the most challenging, diverse schedule that your school offers - while exploring everything that catches your interest.

Baseball is your passion? Do exactly what you are doing and talk to people in the field. Something else - say computers - catches your eye? Explore computers. Learn about anything and everything and you will never look back and wonder what if.

Best of luck to you - it sounds like you are off to a great start.

Lebanon, your question, and your way of expressing it, show great maturity --- good for you!

While you're considering your future career, you might want to keep in mind that you're going to be around 80+ years. That's lots of years to make money and be all mature and responsible. If you have a dream to play baseball, coach, travel the world, or join the Peace Corps --- that's what your twenties are for!

Get the best education you can, explore options, seek advice....and follow your heart. You have time. Best of luck; sounds like you have a good start.
lebanonbb,

You have been given good advice above.

Hopefully you will go to college, and if so, try to explore classes in several different majors. Although I am now very old, Big Grin as a Science major in college I remember discovering how exciting it was to discuss philosophy and great literature with other "smart" young adults. (I still earned my degree in science, but have worked in several different interesting careers.) My oldest son (22 yrs old) majored in Communication but loved philosophy in college also, and now works in a career he enjoys that is not directly related to his degree. From your writing here, I could certainly see you in a Communication program! And my youngest son (20 yrs old) started college as a Classical Guitar major, is now an English major (Creative Writing), and will probably get a job some day doing something else! Smile

Great idea that you are contacting PGStaff with your questions about baseball careers. Also consider asking other adults about their careers, what they really do and what they like and dislike about their jobs.

Best wishes to you!

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom
Math and Science:

If you do either of these you can go and do anything. No offense, but baseball (or any sports) players are not known for being the brightest bunch. Smart people changed the approach taken in evaluating talent in the MLB (moneyball, etal) so challenge yourself and you will find a path to your dreams.
Last edited by BOF
My middle son who also loves baseball and would like to stay in the game is now a Junior in HS. He thought that he would like to become a Sports Agent. Of course we would all like his first client to be his brother! LOL!

With that goal in mind I pointed out to him that a degree in Corporate Law and a background in Taxation would be wonderful prerequisites for embarking on such a career. It is good to note that if things do not develop as an Agent, he will still have valuable credentials that can take him far.
quote:
baseball players are not known for being the brightest bunch

Well I think that is over generalized. There are those that aren't,but there are some very bright young men playing baseball. Some of the posters on this site have kids in or going to the IVIES. Tell me Stanford and Ivie or UC players arne't bright.I have to say I disagree with that statement whole heartedly. You could say some athletes aren't the brighteset but baseball players as a whole I say your wrong.
I would have agreed with you, fan, but after the stories my son has told me, even about players who were signed to the pros out of college......sigh.

"What language is the English National Anthem sung in?"

Confusion over the word 'metaphor'.

Do NOT discuss the news. Might as well bring up neurosurgery.

Much as if they were trying to keep the stereotype alive..... Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.