Skip to main content

"Fact is proper scap loading technique/time wise is a must to protect the entire shoulder."

Why exactly is this? Why don't you think the body can take care of this itself?

"There opinion of scap loading is jamming the elbows behind the acromial line or a "hyperflexion" action which is not good. They dont know how/when its supposed to be done therefore they automatically think its wrong."

So exactly what is it and when should it be done? What purpose does it solve?

"Scapular dynamics are always affected when a player has an injury."

I assume you are talking about shoulder injuries. Of course, this is a given since the scapula is the key structure when it comes to the shoulder joint.

"Chris a person does not load the scap with his elbows down, this would produce way to much friction upon elevation."

So then how do you explain what Nolan Ryan is doing in frame 27.1 (among others) of this document...
http://www.chrisoleary.com/documents/PitcherAnalysis_NolanRyan.pdf

His elbows are down in this and other photos.

"Proper scap loading has nothing to do with rotation of the humerus either."

How could it not, given that the purpose of the muscles that attach to the scapula is to hold the proximal head of humerus in the socket and articulate the humerus (e.g. upper arm).

"Proper scapula dynamics serve to provide a stable base as well as funnel the energy to the throwing arm instead of wasting it elsewhere."

I agree, but I'm not convinced that this is something that the body can't take care of naturally.

"Most successful pitchers do not get the arm up nearly as quick as Marshall likes to see his pitchers. Which is one reason why they will never amount to much in my opinion."

But some like Freddy Garcia do. So you have a low opinion of him?
Avery and Carpenter are completely different.

One loads the scap, the other didn't.

You may know alot. You just don't know the right stuff.

And, as I told you before, I won't educate you. One who makes ridiculous conclusions without the facts is usually not "educatable" if that is a word.

Too much religion. Not enough objectivity.
Last edited by Linear
I have done a breakdown of Avery's motion and in frames 7.1 and 8.1 (among others) he is doing something that sure as heck looks like scap loading...

http://www.chrisoleary.com/documents/PitcherAnalysis_SteveAvery.pdf

However, his pitching arm side elbow is above his shoulder while he is doing this, which I believe contributes to his problems.

Chris Carpenter does something very similar in frame 22.2, but both of his elbows are below his shoulders...

http://www.chrisoleary.com/documents/PitcherAnalysis_ChrisCarpenter.pdf
"Chris a person does not load the scap with his elbows down, this would produce way to much friction upon elevation.....The elevation of the arm should be an assistant to proper scap loading."

So then you're saying that, since Nolan Ryan has his elbows below his shoulders in frame 27.1, he's not scap loading?

http://www.chrisoleary.com/documents/PitcherAnalysis_NolanRyan.pdf

Is the same thing true for Roger Clemens in frames 57.1 and 57.2...

http://www.chrisoleary.com/documents/PitcherAnalysis_RogerClemens.pdf
You're a funny guy...

No. I've read the research behind the physiology of the shoulder and studied the motions and mechanics of both successful and unsuccessful professionals.

Let me ask again.

Show me one pitcher of the many that I have studied who do scap loading the way you think it should be done...

http://www.chrisoleary.com/pitching/analyses.html

I assume that PP was referring to Carpenter as doing it (and presumably correctly), but I want to be certain.
This scap stuff is well past the point of being productive and informative. Can we try another throwing mechanics topic?

What's everyones opinion about lower body drive vs the dead leg? It seams like more MLB pitchers throw without a drive from the back leg. My son's pitching coach comes from the lower body drive school.

Now, let's all play nice on this one.
"What's everyones opinion about lower body drive vs the dead leg? It seams like more MLB pitchers throw without a drive from the back leg. My son's pitching coach comes from the lower body drive school."

Keep in mind that I believe that the rotation of the hips, torso, and shoulder are the primary source of power (due to the size of the muscles involved).

Therefore, I believe that driving off of the rubber with the pitching arm side leg it can be helpful if it facilitates the continued rotation of the hips. Conversely, leaving the pitching arm side foot behind on the rubber can limit the amount that the hips can rotate and thus power.

One caveat is that this effect depends on the hips being in a position to continue to rotate.

Of course, all of this also has to be timed properly.
Maddux certainly doesn't bring the pitching arm side leg forward. Instead, he leaves it behind on the rubber.

However, the way he pitches isn't the only way to pitch.

He has to leave his pitching arm side leg behind for balance purposes because he strides into a sharply bent glove-side knee. If he didn't stride into such a bent glove-side knee, he would be able to get more on top of his glove-side knee and would be able to get his pitching arm side knee farther off the rubber. The bonus would be that he would raise his release point.
His right foot IS well ahead of the rubber at the release point.

However, he still drags his toe as if he is desperately trying to to keep his toe on his rubber. If he didn't try to drag his toe, and instead just let his leg and his hips come around like they want to, he might be able to reach a higher velocity.

Granted, this is all sheer speculation. Doing what I say above may completely throw off his balance.

However, I'm not convinced that any pitcher has achieved perfection.
Don't get me wrong. He does some things great.

For example, notice how his hips reverse-rotate, which lets him gets his hips around powerfully, but his shoulders stay pretty much in line with the target, which lets him throw from a more vertical arm slot. This also allows him to generate more power even though his hips end up locking after his glove side foot lands. He also lands very soft with his glove side foot.

I do have a problem with the length of his stride. Notice how his hips absolutely stop turning 2 frames after his glove-side foot plants. This is because his knee is bent 90 degrees. It also lowers his release point.

My question isn't that this doesn't work for him. It obviously does.

The question is whether it would work for everyone.
While my first inclination is to ask you how many Cy Young awards your favorite pitching guru has won, let me instead make it clear that I'm as skeptical as the next guy. That's why I've done all of my own research to validate what Dr. Marshall says.

I've also had my share of exposure to professional athletes, so the awe factor has worn off.

Andy Van Slyke was an investor in the last startup I joined. I talked to Dave Butz (of the Redskins) about investing in the same startup. I regularly see Andy Benes with his kids at the park and the mall (saw him last weekend, in fact). A friend from high school (Henry Jones) played Safety for the Bills during the 90s.

I have come to learn that, if you get past their amazing physical abilities, they aren't gods who should be followed blindly.
We love talking heroes when we get into ths stuff. I have watched that clip about 100 times and I can see that Maddux had some incredible live arm action, thats evident in his 92-95 in the day. But i've seen many pitchers and I just don't see hip rotation there. That doesn't mean much to Maddux because he's proven. But I can get a lot more out of a pitcher when teaching more hip rotation.
No but I'm sure you are. We don't see that kind of talent often, like in a maddux. In fact if I could teach 100,000 kids, 99,999 would not have what he has. So why do we always compare to guys that are the best, when we are trying to teach a mediocre kid how to compete on a higher level. I don't see rotation as it is taught, and I'll stand by that. I will not insist as I for one, know that I'm not an expert.
Coach Chris,

Enjoyed the 25 pages or so of pitching analysis on the great Nolan Ryan.

The one "key" that stands out in my mind was the comment you made about the glove foot planted before the shoulder rotation occurs.
That is the lower-body power base with the strongest muscles providing a foundation to rotate upper body in front of a powerful wall of resistence creating bull-whip pop with arm action coming forward behind everything I just described taking place beforehand. Great!

Thanks Coach for Analysis,

Shepster
Last edited by Shepster
To see the hip rotation, open up the QuickTime player and then open this URL...

http://dmcmillan.topcities.com/gm1.mpg

One the QuickTime player opens, click on Window > Movie Info in the main menu. That will let you see the timestamps of the file listed under "Current Time".

At 1:21 his hips are square to Home Plate.

At 2:24 he has maximally reverse-rotated his hips (now square to 3B).

At 3:10 he has opened up his hips so that they are now square to Home Plate again.

He physically can't do this without rotating his hips.

Although it doesn't apply to this clip, the easiest way to track someone's hip rotation is to look at the position of their belt buckle in a picture. If present, you can also track the differential between the rotation of their hips and shoulders by watching the buttons down the front of their shirt curve.
Link copied to your clipboard.