Skip to main content

The "fundamental objective" of any movement in athletics designed to generate power, is to stay through it as long as possible.

Why is this so, because Coach Isaac Newton proved in his discovery of the Laws of Motion, apply force in a direct line for as long as possible to generate maximum power.

So, visualise and practice driving through the baseball (you should hope to see the ball "explode" upon contact), throw through the catchers glove, deliver the punch through the sternum, deliver the hit with the intent of seperating the head from the body .... and so forth. All these visualizations are intended to keep you through the range of motion as long as possible to generate maximum power. A linear, direct path is the quickest and thus fastest route. Since Mass x Speed2 = Power, short to the ball and long thru the Zone is good advice per Coach Newton.
Quincy,

I could be incorrectly choosing my words. Rotational force, in my mind, comes from the lower half culminating at the hips, and is a absolutely necessary to generate power. However, the hands and the bat, are NOT best served taking an angular "arc" path to the baseball. Are you saying you promote casting around the ball in an arc? An arc in any movement is longer, thus slower. Where you contact the pitch, as a result of when you start and where the pitch is delivered, both affect bat speed & power. The bat is faster in front of the body, than behind, because you have applied force longer. Still the quicker you get there, the more power delivered.
The meaning of 'short to the zone and long through it' is to swing in a circular or angular path to extension and contact.

Angular accelleration causes the bat head to gain speed as it travels with minimum effort.

Hip turn magnifies the bat head speed further into contact and allows an effortless followthrough.

Casting would be over extension.

You are describing a different type of swing. I call that swing a 'brute force' swing that doesn't use the mechanical advantages offerred.

Typically the 'brute force' swing is a hacking type of movement to a contact point at or in front of home plate. Long to the zone.
quote:
The meaning of 'short to the zone and long through it' is to swing in a circular or angular path to extension and contact.

Not to me! However, I was wrong in that we do disagree and certainly we speak a different language.

Coach Newton's teaching application that applies here is the "Law of Acceleration." The third factor in that equation is "F" which represents the consequence of straight line Force (Accelration and Mass are the other two) in the generation of velocity.

In my "hitting vocabulary" casting has nothing to do with what happens after contact (over extension?). "Casting" is where the 1st movement of the hands is AWAY from the body extending the arms .... "coming around the ball." That, to me, describes an "angular" path. I'm talking about the path the hands take to the baseball. Perhaps your talking about the bat path? As to your brute force swing and contact point???? Contact point is determined by the pitch location (inside, middle, out)and the hitters ability to center it and place the ball into fair territory!
One need to look no further than everyday machinery to determine whether more power is generated linear or rotational. Virtually every machine I can think of uses rotational mechanics to generate power and speed. Hitting is no different when using the human body. Rotation is where power is most efficiently generated in a fixed system.
quote:
One need to look no further than everyday machinery to determine whether more power is generated linear or rotational.

Agreed! However, rotational energy AND linear energy are both used in the throwing and hitting motions. There should be no arguement about which is the most powerful. If a hitter produces mainly linear energy, then he may be "quick to the ball" but will lack power. You see those guys everywhere. The hitters you notice driving the ball to the gaps and beyond have learned to produce and harness the force generated thru properly trained and timed hip rotation. Once you generate the force then you must deliver it in the most efficient and quickest means possible ........ that's where linear energy comes into the equation of power.

A "right hook" is neither the fastest or most powerful punch because it's delivered in an arc. A straight right hand (if you are right handed) is quicker and more powerful as it's a true linear movement. Both punches, however, are maximized thru proper bottom half hip "rotation." I don't care what Science you study, the shortest path between two points is a straight line. And we all know the importance of speed in the equation of power!!

I believe you are trying to compare "apples to oranges."
Last edited by Prime9
There is nothing linear about a high level baseball swing. The end of the bat takes an arc as evidence of the rotational aspects of the swing. Every joint on the body generates force rotationally. The only linear outcome in hitting is the trajectory of the batted baseball.

Going straight to the ball with the hands breaks the kinetic link generated by the lower body. The rotation generated at the feet must be continued through the shoulders and the hands follow the rotation of the shoulders.

There is nothing linear in throwing either. Both hitting and throwing are the result of a series of arcs generated by rotational forces.

By focusing on linear language you get away from how power is generated.
You are the one focusing on linear language here! You contend that it does not exist in a high level swing. Many believe that both rotational and linear motions are involved in a high level swing. Most of us who believe that way also believe that the power comes from rotational force. However, unlike you we believe that there is much more to hitting a baseball than pure rotational mechanics. If every pitch could be timed and location was down the middle every time then you might get away with a pure rotational approach. That is not the game I see played. Any need for adjustments in a swing, any club head control and a myrid of additional aspects of hitting a baseball cannot be explained by a purely rotational mechanic.

Just the extension of the arms which will occur at some point in a swing cannot be defined as a rotational motion. There are additional aspects as well, such as a stride (if any).

Power comes from rotational forces. But there is more too a high level swing than power every 10 at bats and a .190 BA!

I don't know if you teach hitting or what...you may be very successful at what you do. I contend that there is more to hitting for high average with power than pure rotational mechanics. There is more to it, if it were just rotational mechanics it would be a lot easier to become a high level hitter.
There is more to it. It may be easier to fix a lot of issues by focusing on rotational mechanics, but you will never be the best you can be without understanding that there are more moving parts. IMHO.
Last edited by floridafan
This is not a comparison of swing styles.

The topic endorses a swing that gets the bat head into the zone early and stays through the zone through contact into folowthrough.

This type of swing is rotational with accompanying weight shift.

If you look back on some of the posts and pictures, you will see the bat head actually travels to the rear as it is drawn down into the zone. (Note the curving of the bat as the result of the angular accelleration.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvAHj9MHa4c.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYi6LI4cTT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...4BiYK-M&feature=fvst
Last edited by Quincy
quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
You are the one focusing on linear language here! You contend that it does not exist in a high level swing. Many believe that both rotational and linear motions are involved in a high level swing. Most of us who believe that way also believe that the power comes from rotational force. However, unlike you we believe that there is much more to hitting a baseball than pure rotational mechanics. If every pitch could be timed and location was down the middle every time then you might get away with a pure rotational approach. That is not the game I see played. Any need for adjustments in a swing, any club head control and a myrid of additional aspects of hitting a baseball cannot be explained by a purely rotational mechanic.

Just the extension of the arms which will occur at some point in a swing cannot be defined as a rotational motion. There are additional aspects as well, such as a stride (if any).

Power comes from rotational forces. But there is more too a high level swing than power every 10 at bats and a .190 BA!

I don't know if you teach hitting or what...you may be very successful at what you do. I contend that there is more to hitting for high average with power than pure rotational mechanics. There is more to it, if it were just rotational mechanics it would be a lot easier to become a high level hitter.
There is more to it. It may be easier to fix a lot of issues by focusing on rotational mechanics, but you will never be the best you can be without understanding that there are more moving parts. IMHO.

You are absolutely correct! The loading in a high level swing is mostly rotational, but the unload is both rotational and linear. Think of it as two circles turning in different directions connected by a rubber band. The rubberband is stretched rotationally, but when synced properly, it is released in a straight line toward the target.
quote:
Originally posted by Leverage:
You linear/rotational guys really need to think of the swing a little more thoroughly. Think of a figure skater. Arms draw in to increase rotational speed. The bathead always takes a circular arc. Maintaining tight rotation assists in generating batspeed.

I don't know of any figure skaters in the MLB. Big Grin

The ball has to be squared. How are you going to do that with a spinning motion???
The funny thing here is that no one is advocating a purely linear approach here. I am not a linear guy, nor is my son, but we believe that in order to get your bat to the ball the most direct path is the quickest. Combine that with the rotational power and you get a great swing.

AS far as stride being linear or not...the foot moves forward, it does not necessarilly rotate, and the lower half is part of the swing. However, it may not be considered a linear movement by folks who wish to deny any linear motion in a swing.
Last edited by floridafan
quote:
The ball has to be squared. How are you going to do that with a spinning motion???

I promise it is rotational.

The only reason the arms extend at all after contact and the ball is long gone is because the arm extension allows for the slowing down of the bat and so the hitter can keep from falling over. I think a lot of people see that extension after the ball is hit and get confused thinking it is some linear motion when all it does is allow for the slowing down of the bat so the hitter doesn't hurt himself with it or fall over.

If you bend your elbow prior to contact too much you break the kinetic link of the lower body.

I truly believe professional dance instructors would make good hitting instructors. I think they do a much better job of observing body motion and communicating body motion to students.
The lead arm is nearly barred throughout the swing. The rear arm extends after contact and contact only lasts for 1/2,000 of a second. The arms only existence is to serve as links for the shoulders which are rotating. The lead arm shouldnt ever be at a 90 degree angle. You can watch pitchers take BP some and they will bend their lead arm and hit poorly. If you are going crush a baseball that lead arm should have very little flexion at any point during the swing from initiation to completion. If it is flexing and the first inclination of a hitter is to flex that lead arm they are not going to be a good hitter.

Golfers when they really drive the ball have the lead arm nearly barred. On chip shots they flex it some.

The rear arm extends for deceleration purposes only.

Pro hitters have a lot of extension after the swing because they have built up so much speed just prior to making contact with the ball. They have to extend or they can hurt themselves. Back strain by continued rotation or over rotation.

The follow through and extension is a safety/breaking device.
quote:
The lead arm is nearly barred throughout the swing. The rear arm extends after contact and contact only lasts for 1/2,000 of a second. The arms only existence is to serve as links for the shoulders which are rotating. The lead arm shouldnt ever be at a 90 degree angle. You can watch pitchers take BP some and they will bend their lead arm and hit poorly. If you are going crush a baseball that lead arm should have very little flexion at any point during the swing from initiation to completion. If it is flexing and the first inclination of a hitter is to flex that lead arm they are not going to be a good hitter.

Golfers when they really drive the ball have the lead arm nearly barred. On chip shots they flex it some.

The rear arm extends for deceleration purposes only.

Pro hitters have a lot of extension after the swing because they have built up so much speed just prior to making contact with the ball. They have to extend or they can hurt themselves. Back strain by continued rotation or over rotation.

The follow through and extension is a safety/breaking device.

Pretty much everything in this post is hogwash, sorry!
quote:
You linear/rotational guys really need to think of the swing a little more thoroughly. Think of a figure skater. Arms draw in to increase rotational speed. The bathead always takes a circular arc. Maintaining tight rotation assists in generating batspeed.

Okay, I'll play along. Tight rotation of what body part or parts around what body parts?
quote:
Go to mlb.com and watch the lead arm of good hitters from initiation through contact. You will notice only a very slight bend. Almost barred.

Go to batspeed.com and you will see the same things in those videos. Study the lead arm and you will see.

I believe Mr. Mankin has a great deal correct, just not the hands....yet, but he is someone who is willing to learn and who has revised a few things over the past few years.
quote:
Above all else, Mankin has the hands right. He also has the lead arm right.

One thing he says that I like is that the shoulders initiate the swing and not the hands.

Wrong! Mankin believes the shoulders rotate to create power, they do not, they laterally tilt to create resistance and stretch which creates whip. This is the "angular acceleration" Quincy is talking about. His mechanics create bat speed, but not adjustability.
Results,

Surely you don't believe the hands allow you to hit a ball 400 feet. I don't care what Don Slaught says about the hands and shoulders being independent. All you have to do is watch a really good MLB hitter and you will notice that shoulders and hands are not independent.

Shoulders and hands are linked and power comes from the core up through the shoulders. Not the hands.
Leverage,

The addition of the hands and shoulders allow you to hit the ball 400 feet. It is not just the hands. Come on with the really good MLB hitters. Pujols, Mauer, Jeter, they all start their swing with the back elbow working down.

How is it that Soriano's back elbow is working down before the shoulders open? (2 posts above)

Don't tell me, you're an Epstein "Certified" insturctor?
Last edited by Results Baseball
quote:
Originally posted by Results Baseball:
Which direction do you think the barrel is launched from the handset? What moves the barrel first from the handset?

Let me be more spacific...The shoulders don't open before the hands move forward. THE SHOULDERS AND HANDS WORK INDEPENDENTLY. Argue with Slaught....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...3D2CE86D2C1A&index=0[/QUOTE]

Results,

I'm not trying to argue with you, I just asked you some simple questions. I'm just trying to understand what you teach. Let me rephrase my question. What actions do you teach to move the bat from the handset? Are you pulling the knob with the bottom hand to the ball and then pushing/hammering with the top hand to contact? I agree that the hands and shoulders work independently, I just want to know how you believe or teach what they are doing at the time.
Results,

First you can't use a clip of a guy describing a swing. The only valid clip is a MLB clip of a great hitter. The guys don't do what they demonstrate in slow motion.

Once a great hitter reaches the launch position shoulders take over. First initial action with a pitch is the inward rotation of the shoulders. You get the hands too involved and you get an inconsistent weak swing.

Hands need to be strong and so do wrists but only in that they are linking the shoulders. Hands and wrists generate very little power on their own. If you need proof go hit with just your hands.

In teaching hitting it is better to focus on where power is generated then go to the smaller points like the hands. People focus on where the attention is directed. Too many times I see instructors constantly talking about the hands and the kids have no power.

You will not crush a baseball with your hands.
quote:
INDEPENDENTLY. Argue with Slaught....

Power & Results; we all know the phrase "perception is reality." I look at "Slaughts" video and see what he's describing. However, I believe and "swear" his video confirms my belief, that the back knee moving inward allows the hips/shoulders to begin rotation and is FOLLOWED by the back elbow, not the other way around.

What we see and how we convey it, often makes these conversations so contradictory! His description of "the Gated swing" explaining how the hands must work independent and that they aren't rivoted to the body is good. Doesn't the "kinetic chain" of energy developed in the best baseball swing, HAVE to begin from the ground and move upwards? And isn't the goal to perfectly syncronize the "whip action" to generate maximum torque, hand and bat speed so that any break in movement, which would decrease power, is inperceptable?
Last edited by Prime9
Leverage, Your missing the point. Im not saying power comes from the hands. Im saying hands (elbow moving down) starts the swing, and then the shoulders take over providing the power. If you start the swing with the shoulders you will pull off, losing the lower half, and reduce power.

Power, I don't use much technical jargon at all with a hitter. I show him/her correct contact point on a tee. I make sure they stay at that distance from the tee through the drill, and tell them they have to hit the ball off the back net. Players then know if they "casted" because the ball goes off the side net. If they had a "good" first move, with the back elbow working down, they blast the ball off the back of the net. Proper hand path allows for weight shift to occur during the swing. If they are still struggling with it. I pull out a product you can get at Petsmart called "Chunk it." It is a dog product you use for playing fetch with your dog. It holds a tennis ball, and you can sling it out of the top for your dog to go get. I use it for both one and two hand drills. I get a bucket of tennis balls, and tell the hitter to throw the tennis balls right back up the middle. I do this with the top, bottom, and both hands. If the player can consistenly throw the ball up the middle (not get around it, and throw it down the line) the hitter understands the correct first move of his swing.

Power, you are one of the only guys on here I respect. I think you understand how the swing works very well. I just wish in some of your explanations you explained ways you could teach a hitter to do the things you explain. But, I do tip my hat to your knowledge.
Results,

As long as they are hitting up the middle hard. I hear more instructors talking about the hands that they miss the point on power. It is good to hear your focus.

I saw on your web page the kids hitting basketballs. I will tell you something that works better for all drills. Hit a weighted baseball off the tee. So much time is spent on hitting a stationary baseball but a pitched ball has more force and the muscles need to be trained to hit with that force a weighted ball off the tee provides. You can buy a 10 to 12 ounce ball and it helps build strength.

I believe all hitters get some secondary vibration off the bat at contact and the greater the vibration then the weaker the hit. I believe it is nearly imperceptible to detect too.

When you hit real baseballs after hitting weighted balls off the tee they feel like you are crushing tennis balls. I recommend hitting a weighted ball with a non-game bat 20 to 30 times a day right up the middle as you described.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.