Skip to main content

Read all of their findings. They recommend not throwing c/b until 14(puberty) many times on their site and in their presentation.

The study they did was very small. It showed that more stress was on the arm when you had a hard thrower. Over 80 mph. Read all of what they publish and say. Then make your own decision. It is NOT black and white that c/b are better for your arm.
Why risk it? Do you need to lead the league in strike outs at age 10? Excuse me, does your kid need to? Studies change over time but c/b's hurt MY elbow when I throw batting practice and that is all I need to know.

Read all of the information available then make your own decision. Then ask yourself this question, Is it worth the risk of tearing up your son's arm to get a few extra strikeouts based on an incomplete, small study? Cut down your kids pitching duties if you do nothing else. That is a given.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BobbleheadDoll:
Most of the pitchers I know who have injuries got injured in MiLB or college. I am not sure why but a lot may have to do with the desire to win at all cost.

bhd
i say this without any disrespect intended. arm injury's don't just happen from a single pitch/throw. the tissue's/muscles break down over time until that injury happens. usually college or milb,or senior in HS.
that is why it's so important to keep a handle on the younger kids.

tpm

very sorry to here about your son.i hope everything works for him.
a big leaguer told my son in st . we'll all have arm problems,if we pitch long enough. maybe truer than we think.
BHD,
Of course I'm not 100% positive these boys needed surgery strictly from curveballs, but it seems more than a coincidence. I would bet that throwing cb with bad mechanics had something to do with it.
These two kids did not play 100 games a year. They played rec ball and all star Cal Ripken, no travel bb.. Maybe 20 competitive games a year so I don't think it was from over use. It might have been from throwing when they had tender arms which could have compounded a smaller problem into a major injury.
Bobblehd-Your experience with your son and his ability to throw a majority of curveballs without experiencing any pain or discomfort could be attributed to a number of things. He may be one of those that has such a strong muscle,bone,ligament structure that it allows him to throw curves with more frequency than the "average" pitcher and never develop arm problems.
He also-from what I've read from your posts-has very good mechanics and listens to his coach(Dad) when you notice him changing those "good" mechanics. It could also be that he is not throwing the curve with as much force as he has available and therefore not taxing his body to the fullest. Or the bottom line is that you may be correct in your belief that the curveball doesn't exert as much pressure on the elbow. We all have our own experiences to make our judgements by.

Could you please explain your post on July 22nd when you stated that when your "son got tired he stopped throwing his FB."
and "if he got tired he stuck to his off speed pitches." It does seem to contradict the last statement "My son would pull himself if he didn't feel 100%." Also, in a later post you state "His coaches never let him go out if he wasn't 100%" and
"I asked him why he came out and he said he wasn't feeling 100%".

Thanks

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.