Skip to main content

From a neutral viewpoint it comes across as a hook to stay interested more than an encouraging sign. I understand how badly parents with kids playing want to restart. But when states start to open up it will be with as much distancing as possible. I can’t picture the governor allowing people to flock into MA from all over the country when it’s a COVID hot spot. The projection downslope in MA isn’t supposed to hit zero until June 17th. Zero projected deaths doesn’t mean it’s over when there isn’t a vaccine.

Northwoods League

Not cancelled, but also not encouraging. This being the only "for profit" summer league, I would expect them to do whatever is possible to get a season going.

Rochester, Minn. – With fan, player and personnel safety as the primary consideration, the Northwoods League has been closely monitoring developments related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the various restrictions by governmental authorities that have been enacted as a result. Simultaneously, the League has been considering multiple scenarios that could be adapted to the dynamic environment in which we find ourselves so that where and when baseball can safely be played, it will be played.

However, each of those options are limited by the extension of stay at home orders in a given state, and when such an extension occurs in various states throughout the League footprint, each scenario must be adapted to fit the evolving circumstances.  Given the state of Wisconsin has extended its “Safer at Home” order through May 26th, a League-wide opening day of May 26th is no longer possible. The League will continue to consider multiple scenarios as each state determines its policies, always predicated on the assumption that adequate safeguards can be put in place in ballparks in states where there are no restrictions on large gatherings in order to assure fan, player and personnel safety.

RJM posted:

The Michigan governor won’t help with her over the top orders. Her stay at home orders are so rigid a hitter can’t even go to first after he hits the ball. 

Michigan has one of the highest confirmed infection and death rates even though they are doing less testing than other states. Be safe out there.

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/26/...eaths-tests-by-state

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0
CmassRHPDad posted:
RJM posted:

The Michigan governor won’t help with her over the top orders. Her stay at home orders are so rigid a hitter can’t even go to first after he hits the ball. 

Michigan has one of the highest confirmed infection and death rates even though they are doing less testing than other states. Be safe out there.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here and I know everyone is beyond stress. I thought I would try to help ease some stress.

Charts can be fun to look at but can easily be misunderstood or misquoted and that just spreads the panic and stress. Main Stream Media is notorious for this. (see didn't get political)

People need to NOT look at just the COUNT of confirmed cases. That means NOTHING mathematically or epidemiologically.  Infection or death rates require a denominator, like population. 

Great site and visual here: (CDC numbers) https://infection2020.com/  You can even expand and see down to the county level and watch it over time. 

Michigan has 9.987 million people so 30791 confirmed/9,987,000 = .0031 = .3%  I wouldn't call that "high...."

NJ, which has more cases, has less population at 8.881 million so their infected rate is 81599/8,881,000 = 1% more than 3X that of Michigan.

NY state has 19.45 million citizens with 242,570/19,450,000=1.25% 

(yes, NYC is a crazy hot spot based on population density)

It's about population, population density --- denominators!!!

They chart counts here (which looks WAY scarier), but also show infection rates to the population in each county and you can change the legend to just show infection rates.

Also be careful when they post charts/comparisons to average daily deaths like heart disease, cancer, sepsis, or suicide, as those are aged over a year period and Covid has been counted for only 2 months. averaged over the year it will be lower than reported/compared.

Yes, death is bad, but the affects on the economy, herd and individual psyche, economic turmoil, suicide rates, etc are much much much worse. Infection Rates, prevelance, virulence, yeah yeah yeah. But I don't get the continued shutdown with numbers this low. 

It sucks for our kids. Texas Govenor shut down the schools for the rest of the academic year, and Texas UIL canceled the rest of the spring sports and seasons. Thankfully, the governor is also opening Texas back up next week to get people back to work.  Face cover will be the norm for quite some time, and that isn't a bad thing. Hopefully it works out well and helps boost the economy and morale. 

Imagine how much less of this and other diseases spread now that people are covering their face and washing hands (finally)....

I do hope we can get some summer baseball events back. Especially for those kids that are trying to be seen to get to the next level. College kids have already been seen. I'm talking high school kids and staying on topic.

Even if they just did 2020 and 2021 focused ONLY events just to keep the numbers down.  I get this was to be the hot summer for 22s, but I think that has shifted, at least this year and they still have next summer. Yes some schools are mostly, if not, full for the 21 class, but A LOT are not (and maybe with the extra class returning and everyone getting a do-over) that would be a good thing.  But out of necessity, the 2020s and 2021s need this summer to hopefully find something and somewhere to go, if they can or if they haven't already.   No 10-14 year old needs to be out playing or trying to land a scholarship and don't get me started on the 8th grade commits.  What a joke. I'm not saying they younger kids don't need to get out, but in a limited capacity or availability, time sensitive nature, the 2020s and 2021s need it the most. 22s are next in line and hopefully have the fall for 2021 and 22 events.

Would be happy to have baseball games with no fans or just family with social distancing, face covers, etc. Would be happy to oblige and sit 6 feet away from others. Stadiums and schools would appreciate the income I'm sure and we could all use a game, even if just televised.

If the distance learning thing takes off I would imagine colleges will be hurting without on campus attendees and boosts to local economies. College is about GOING to college, interacting, experiencing and growing up, not learning on a screen. Yes it can happen and helps when needed and now is that time, but that isn't the college and learning experience we all had and want for our kids. Hopefully we can get back to that sooner.

Additionally, remote college is going to hurt the smaller schools. Why go to school ABC, when I can dial in and attend Harvard, or Stanford. If the price drops on virtual vs physical attendance, budgets and balance sheets are going to be drastically affected. 

I feel really badly for the 2020s. No baseball, no prom, no graduation. That totally sucks.

FACT - Only 7ish% of the HS kids go on to play at the college level. So less numbers in college and even less numbers of college seniors. Way more high school seniors affected nationally. 

On the bright side, I do think and others have said, the next few years of college baseball are going to be the best competition we will have ever had or seen and that is exciting. More difficult and competitive for the upcoming high schoolers and incoming freshman next and the next few classes, but the college baseball caliber, across ALL divisions, just exploded and will be super exciting to watch when we can get back to the fields. 

I think the MLB got their way and shrunk the draft and it won't get back to what it was. Which means less college and high school draftees and more kids in school and that isn't a bad thing. I never understood the 18-22 man signing class of the Vandys, Arks, Tech Tech, Florida International, etc. Those numbers aren't sustainable. Education is important. I'm glad that more kids will be going to college to get an education and to prep for whatever next level they can get to.

OK, rant over. I need more coffee.

Stay safe and wash your hands!

Attachments

Images (5)
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
  • mceclip3
  • mceclip4
  • mceclip5
CmassRHPDad posted:
RJM posted:

People In Michigan aren’t allowed to do yard work. At a Walmart they’re not allowed to purchase anything but essentials, no tools, no yard supplies, etc.. they’re not allowed to have company over. They’re not allowed to travel to their summer residence. No cruising in your car. No boating, This is dictator style governance.

When I saw what was happening at my primary residence (turned out to be a COVID hot spot) I left for my second residence. People are much safer at a second residence with lower population density.

Last edited by RJM

You are only missing one point.  Part of this is what the government does, but part of it is what people choose to do.  The vocal people who want everything to go back to "normal" are a minority.  Very large numbers of people are not going to go back to what they used to do, especially in the voluntary areas of entertainment and travel, until they feel that it is reasonable to do so. 

Obviously a lot can happen with summer ball that we used not to think about, but now we are thinking about it.  (Last summer my son was diagnosed with mono, the day before he was supposed to leave to play for a collegiate summer team hundreds of miles away - and we did wonder, what if this had happened while he was already there?) 

If I'm supposed to send my son hundreds of miles away to play baseball, where he might get sick and need hospitalization, and I don't hear from the team a coherent plan about what they will do in that situation, then I won't send him.  If he can get an antibody test and he has already had it, then fine.  If they test players for the virus and have an isolation plan for them, then fine.  If a theraputic treatment is available by then, then fine.  If they have a place for me to stay if hotels are still closed and I have to come because he's in the hospital, then that's helpful.  That's a lot for a summer team to have to think about. 

RJM posted:
CmassRHPDad posted:
RJM posted:

People In Michigan aren’t allowed to do yard work. At a Walmart they’re not allowed to purchase anything but essentials, no tools, no yard supplies, etc.. they’re not allowed to have company over. They’re not allowed to travel to their summer residence. No cruising in your car. No boating, This is dictator style governance.

When I saw what was happening at my primary residence (turned out to be a COVID hot spot) I left for my second residence. People are much safer at a second residence with lower population density.

I sent you a pm on this.  I left out that as far as cruising in your car, motor cyclists drive around my cousins neighborhood with MAGA hats just to annoy people.  People cannot gather in larger groups than 10.  Same as everywhere else, they use zoom and social distancing.

TPM posted:
RJM posted:
CmassRHPDad posted:
RJM posted:

I sent you a pm on this.  I left out that as far as cruising in your car, motor cyclists drive around my cousins neighborhood with MAGA hats just to annoy people.  People cannot gather in larger groups than 10.  Same as everywhere else, they use zoom and social distancing.

Also, she and others cannot go to Lake House because those areas are not equipped this time of year for a larger population. Emergency services are limited.

I really am upset how the Governor has taken a hit. I don't think that people really understand how bad things are in Michigan. The rules she has imposed are in line to other states. Here in FL you cant go to your vacation home in the keys. 

keewart posted:

TPM, They have closed the Outer Banks of NC to all but full time residents.  My neighbor, and inlaws, can't even go check on their second homes (not rentals).  

Same here with the keys. Reason being is that they don't have essential services this time of year. 

I live in a community with lots of snowbirds. The community asked everyone who was not a permanent resident to go home. It's so nice and quiet I love it. FWIW, they closed down everything in my community. No pools, no golf course, tennis, etc. It was a city decision. 

No different than anywhere else.

TPM posted:
anotherparent posted:

Would those of you whose sons played summer ball far away (at the Cape, I think?) send your sons this summer?  Just curious.

Simple....no.

I don't know if you all missed the question or the entire post.

My son played in 2006 when life was good and no deadly virus existed.

And it was far away from South Florida. 

SomeBaseballDad posted:
anotherparent posted:

Would those of you whose sons played summer ball far away (at the Cape, I think?) send your sons this summer?  Just curious.

My son is 21 and thus his own man, so not my call. If I had to guess (really not much of a guess to it) he'd go unless it was a real hotspot.

Boston is a hot spot. A lot of people living in the greater Boston area head for the Cape on a regular basis in the summer.

Last edited by RJM
@keewart posted:

TPM, They have closed the Outer Banks of NC to all but full time residents.  My neighbor, and inlaws, can't even go check on their second homes (not rentals).  

What I find amazing is that this is accepted and followed. I an not a protestor, I am probably a libertarian without a party at heart but I find this amazing. It is time for massive protests in the streets (socially distanced of course) and a disregard for these jackasses we call governors. 

@old_school posted:

What I find amazing is that this is accepted and followed. I an not a protestor, I am probably a libertarian without a party at heart but I find this amazing. It is time for massive protests in the streets (socially distanced of course) and a disregard for these jackasses we call governors. 

Today (4/27), I believe non-resident property owners are allowed back to the outer banks.  You have to show documentation.   The small community just can't handle a lot of sick people.  Plus, I was told that you need to bring everything you need when you come:  all paper products and food. 

Its a start.

@keewart posted:

Today (4/27), I believe non-resident property owners are allowed back to the outer banks.  You have to show documentation.   The small community just can't handle a lot of sick people.  Plus, I was told that you need to bring everything you need when you come:  all paper products and food. 

Its a start.

Summer resident property owners in Salisbury Beach and Newburyport MA are being refused to have their water and electricity turned on.  

The Dr Erickson You Tube video on why the shutdown should end (based on facts and math from legitimate sources) was banned as propaganda and misinformation minutes after appearing on Laura Ingraham’s show. 

Step one to controlling the masses is control the information.  

Last edited by RJM

We have a house in the OBX and Currituck County is letting non-resident property owners back in so tomorrow we head that way. We have some house preparations to do before summer but to be honest, it will be great to just exist at the beach for a few days. If I can keep myself away from the TV and my laptop, some unwinding just might happen, not an altogether bad thing.  I will continue to be bummed that our Valley League isn't playing this summer, especially because we had unbelievable talent coming in all over the league (we had 6 D-1 weekend starters for our pitching rotation, and a projected 3rd round draft choice for our primary catcher).    True confession: Sunday afternoon I watched about 10 minutes of the Women's Professional Cornhole League Doubles...argh!!!!   But they were actually pretty darned good. 

@RJM posted:

Summer resident property owners in Salisbury Beach and Newburyport MA are being refused to have their water and electricity turned on.  

The Dr Erickson You Tube video on why the shutdown should end (based on facts and math from legitimate sources) was banned as propaganda and misinformation minutes after appearing on Laura Ingraham’s show. 

Step one to controlling the masses is control the information.  

I'm not going to post either links or text or argue the issue, but I do think that people who have viewed Dr. Erickson's video (I'm among them) should know that there are other medical doctors say that his math and conclusions are deeply flawed.

@hokieone posted:

We have a house in the OBX and Currituck County is letting non-resident property owners back in so tomorrow we head that way. We have some house preparations to do before summer but to be honest, it will be great to just exist at the beach for a few days. If I can keep myself away from the TV and my laptop, some unwinding just might happen, not an altogether bad thing.  I will continue to be bummed that our Valley League isn't playing this summer, especially because we had unbelievable talent coming in all over the league (we had 6 D-1 weekend starters for our pitching rotation, and a projected 3rd round draft choice for our primary catcher).    True confession: Sunday afternoon I watched about 10 minutes of the Women's Professional Cornhole League Doubles...argh!!!!   But they were actually pretty darned good. 

Jay, Dave was really disappointed as well.

I know Toney was with you last year, is that who are you talking about?   He has mad catching  skills, steal once you will never do it again. Heard he will be drafted early next year but really needed this year and summer to improve as a hitter.

Stay safe.

@JCG posted:

I'm not going to post either links or text or argue the issue, but I do think that people who have viewed Dr. Erickson's video (I'm among them) should know that there are other medical doctors say that his math and conclusions are deeply flawed.

This is a good oped today from Dr. Murphy; chairman of the Department of Emergency Medicine at St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx.   A very hard-hit area.  It's his view on why we need to open based on his personal experience.    His argument is different but his recommendation is the same as Dr. Erickson. 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/...to-start-opening-up/

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.