Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Chris Gloor Quinnipiac
6'6 260 LHP

FROM PGCrosschecker (best scouting in the world, i thought pgstaff would like that)

An easy selection as the Coastal Plain League’s No. 1 prospect this summer, Gloor showed unusually fluid mechanics, command and pitchability for a big lefthander. He had the ability to throw three pitches for strikes, including a 90-92 mph moving fastball that crept to the mid-90s on occasion, an above-average curve and change. He got good downhill plane on his pitches and pounded the strike zone consistently. Gloor dominated CPL hitters, striking out 78 in 48 innings—a nine-inning average of 14.6—while limiting them to a skimpy .130 batting average. He went 3-2 overall and his 1.30 ERA was the second-best in the league. He made huge strides in his development from the spring, when he went 4-2, 4.22 with 68 strikeouts in 60 innings as a sophomore at Quinnipiac. At this point, he projects as a third- or fourth-round pick in next year’s draft—provided he can duplicate his summer performance. In his first two college seasons, his fastball was a more common 84-88 mph and he had little feel for a curve or changeup.
From kids I've seen last spring and more frequently in the summer I'd have to say the five returning players that stuck out were....

Ryan Lavarnway OF/C - Yale
-- A feared hitter, Ryan gives that presence when he walks up to the plate that he is going to get a hit every time. I've seen him catch once and play outfield twice and I just don't see him as a catcher, but hey I only saw him play there once. I could watch him hit all day though as he gives hope to all the believers of a slightly closed stance (Slightly closed believers have to look out for one another as they are few these days). Beyond the numbers, the kid attends Yale, which has to attract professional scouts. 5 Star Prospect

Scott Savastano SS/3B - Franklin Pierce
-- Savastano had a tough break with an injury in an early season game at Franklin Pierce that kind of disrupted his year. This kid is really good though and looks like the type of kid that will not only play at the next level, but will succeed when he gets there. 4 1/2 Star Prospect

Brendan Akashian C - Holy Cross
-- I have seen Akashian play at college and in the summer and have been overly impressed each time. His Mo Vaughn-like stance makes him fun to watch hit, but not for other teams. He is as pure of a hitter I've seen in New England. Teamed with outstanding defense and an extremely strong arm, Brendan looks to have an exciting future. 4 1/2 Star Prospect

Shawn Gilblair P - Eastern Conn
-- There is something to be said about a lefty pitcher that just gets out after out after out. I saw Shawn pitch in the NECBL this summer three times and he was outstanding every time. He doesn't throw overly hard, but his movement is unreal for a lefty. More importantly he has that special 'pitching sense' we see less and less these days. A crafty lefty with a promising future Shawn shows that there are some real talents in colleges lower levels. 4 Star Prospect

Mike Tamsin 1B/DH/OF - Northeastern
-- A lefty hitter that just absolutely mashes. Tamsin struggled a bit in the cape, but so did half the major leaguers that play pro ball right now. He is going to be so much better for competing at that level that I predict an even bigger year then he had for the Huskies last year. The only problem is the athleticism question, but as good as a hitter as advertised. 4 Star Prospect
I was up in New Haven for their City Series. I was impressed with Quinnipiac's Tyler Brett. He threw seven innings of one hit ball against Yale.

All four teams (Quinipiac, Yale, Southern Conn, and U of New Haven) though need major work on their infield defense, averaging at least four errors per game.

I was very impressed with the Yale freshmen.
Hey Guys-

There are two kids I've noticed while Umpiring games in an Independent League last year that left me wondering why these kids weren't in some minor league system already. I also ran into them at several baseball facilities over the winter working together to help each other improve.

One of them is a Pitcher at University Of Massachusetts-Boston. His name is Dan Rivkin. Last season I would estimate he was touching 90 with his fastball and 87 with his Slider, 82 with his curve. I was behind the plate in 2 games he started and he struck out 17 or so batters. He's a big 6-3 Right handed power arm which can be efficient out of the pen or starting I believe he is from Enfield, CT.

The other kid I actually got to talk to a lot since he is a catcher. So I know a little more info on him.

Lorenzo Conte- He resides in Somers, CT. I believe he is a 22 but I am not sure on his age. I know he was a graduate from Cheney Tech in Manchester, CT. This kid is by far the best catcher I have ever seen in any leagues.(That includes Legion, Twilight, HS, and any College Game I umpired in.) I Umpired about 40 percent of his Independent League games last year(25 game schedule). Out of those games he threw out roughly 87 percent trying steal on him. I looked up the league stats last year when looking at the schedule and his batting avg was .427 with 32RBIs. He also had a extremely high OBS. He has + speed and I have seen him play CF and LF as well. He easily can man either of the three positions with ease) Thing is this kid hasn't played college ball of any kind. He does lack size, being somewhere between 5-5 and 5-7 I'm not really sure.

I've seen these two practicing indoors at Extra Innings in Agawam, Mass. the past few Saturdays. So even though only one of them actually plays college ball. These two could easily main a spot for Minor League teams. (In Lorenzo's case someone needs to convince him to play some college ball because in all honesty he is the best catcher I've seen in the past 14 years I've umpired).

JR
Last edited by JRScout
Let me Clarify,

It is an Independent Wood bat league, not associated with anything. Its a League that these kids pay for out of there pockets. They pay for the field fees, the pay us Umpires. They pay for the Balls and Chalk etc.

its not the "Independent league."

This league is based in Vernon/Hartford, CT area. They only play at 3 fields. Some of these kids are just kids who played high school/Legion baseball and stopped there. Many are college kids who play during the summer on there summer breaks. There are several skilled ball players in the league. I know for sure Dan Rivkin attends and plays for UMB. Lorenzo Conte isn't playing college ball, but he should be starting for some college somewhere or even on a minor league roster.

Once again I would like to clarify that this is not the "Independent league" but a league with no association to anything that these kids pay to run.
Once again no it is not the Twilight League. It is Similar to the twilight league but is not the Twilight League. Talent wise I would say it is very very similar.

Its an all wood bat league based in Vernon. It is the GHIBL. I think it was Started 4 or 5 years ago. I have Umpired for this league for the past 3 years.

There tends to be an abundance of College students in the league, regardless if they play College baseball. I know several of these kids do just by watching and hearing them chat among themselves in pre games.

I apologize for any misleading my original post may have had. I know the post is best college player. I assume that most of these post would be based on opinions. So I wanted to add something about these two young men I believe could be considered one of the best at there positions.

I checked the UMB roster for 08 to verify the previous info. Dan Rivkin is a Junior Pitcher on their team. I could not find any info of any college stats for Lorenzo Conte (as I stated previously, based on what he has told me personally). If Lorenzo Choose to play College Ball or someone convinced him to play college ball, he would probable be the best catcher in New England thats how good defensively and offensively he is. However I have seen these two numerous times as stated. And after Umpiring numerous leagues, in my opinion these 2 young men are definitely top candidates in each's respected position in New England.
I teach at Cheney Tech, and coach at Manchester CC, and I don't remember a Lorenzo Conte playing baseball at that high of a level. He would have played in 2002 or 2003 as a senior. If they are playing at a twilight league based out of Vernon, and not on a college team, I highly doubt they can be in a category with best players in New England. If they are that age and want to play in a better nearby league, they should try to hitch on with the Vernon Orioles of the GHTBL. My assistant coach plays for them, maybe he can help them get placed on a roster.
quote:
Originally posted by JRScout:
There are two kids I've noticed while Umpiring games in an Independent League last year that left me wondering why these kids weren't in some minor league system already.

This kid is by far the best catcher I have ever seen in any leagues.

So even though only one of them actually plays college ball. These two could easily main a spot for Minor League teams. (In Lorenzo's case someone needs to convince him to play some college ball because in all honesty he is the best catcher I've seen in the past 14 years I've umpired).

With all due respect JR, if all you've ever seen of these kids is some swings in a cage and some games from behind the plate, how well do you really know them? Do you know how "coachable" they are? How are they in the dugout? What is their level of desire? If this boy Lorenzo is the best you've EVER seen, is 22 and has never played in college, then why? I'd add also that at 22, if someone "convinces him to go to college" then the clock is REALLY running. The standout ball players these days are breaking into the MAJORS at 22. I was watching a game just last night where the commentator (Joe Morgan I believe) was commenting on a 24 or 25 year old rookie saying that "that's not young for a rookie". Sounds to me like the pitcher is where he wants to be, playing in college. If he's really good enough to play in "the minors" which seems to be the be-all and end-all to you, then someone will find him. Especially if that radar gun you have in your head that estimates his speeds is accurate, though I know some scouts who would want a few more mph on the fastball and a little more separation between the slider and curve.
So, how many minor league games have you umped that make you believe these boys can play at that level?
PopTime these are just my opinions. As for the radar gun in my head. Your right its an estimation but I'm now 42 years of age and been around baseball for a long time. I'm pretty good at estimating MPH. Once again I apologize if i voiced my opinion in the wrong fashion. I just felt the thread was opinion based and had a desire to voice mine after seeing these two working out yet again.

I've never seen a pitch/catcher combo work so smoothly . As I stated before, I have seen these two numerous times working with each other. So that tells me two things; That Dan is working hard to improve so he can reach the minors by being drafted out of college. It also tells me that Lorenzo is the type of player who takes time out of his schedule to help someone else improve when he basically has no way to advancing himself. Seems like a very coachable kids if you ask me. (just a side note: They video taped there session I saw them at extra innings. which tells me they watch this stuff to improve or catch a mistake they make that might tip off opponents)

Straw10- I remember last year when I asked him where he played HS ball, Lorenzo told me he played at Cheney Tech but didn't play his senior year due to a family personal reason. Their season starts in a few weeks, I will mention your name to him see if he has knowledge of you. I'll Mention to both kids about possible playing Twilight but in my opinion the league they are in is similar in skill level and just as competitive.
I saw LC at the cages yesterday when I took my son. I was asking him if he knew you Straw10 and he said yes, that you were prob. the coolest teacher at the school. He Graduated in 2002, and that you would prob know him better as Larry(thats what all the kids and teachers called him even though he hated it). He told me he did not play baseball his senior year because he had to look after his grandfather and give him medicines at specific times which wouldn't of been possible if he played.

Anyways, I mentioned this website and how I posted something about Dan and him on here. He asked me if i could remove his name from my replies. He said that he loves baseball, and would love to play at the next level. However there are things that are more important and take up too much of his time that he cant go to school (He said he wants to go to be an architect) or try playing at the next level. (Just an assumption on my behalf but sounded family related by the way he said it to me). He didn't want to be considered a top player because of the previous stated reasons and that he doesn't put the time in that many other players can, even though he did say he feels he can compete with anyone on any level. He said Dan deserves credit for whatever I may have said because Dan was the best Pitcher he has worked with, and he said he plans on helping Dan when he can so he'll be able to advance to the next level.

I'd like to comply to his request and was wondering if someone could tell me how I can edit my previous replies? or if someone else could do it since i don't know how I'd appreciate it.
Ah Larry Conte...that I know. The Lorenzo threw me off. The Hartford Twilight League is substantially better than the league they are currently in. For instance my team has 7 former minor leaguers (our pitching staff has 5 of them) and about 8-10 current and former Division I players. We have won 3 of the last 4 championships. The Vernon team has at least 3 minor leaguers I know of, and there are many other former pros in the league. If they really want to test themselves locally, that is the place to go. I can get them contact information as to where they can try out.
straw10

I believe many of your players have played in the Hartford Twilight league, in particular Shane Legare

Fine baseball towatch on a warm summer evening--many solid college players in the league--you see many college college coaches dropping by to see how their players are doing and chat with their parents
Tom,

It's funny you mention the league and Shane. He popped into our game yesterday, and we were all talking about how many MCC players end up in the league. I joke and say that it's because I've been coaching for so long!!! We counted 22 MCC players in the league. My teammates joke and ask who didn't play for me...if you are around next weekend, we are playing some pretty good teams on Saturday and Sunday at our field on campus, swing on by.

Chris
quote:
Originally posted by JRScout:
Hey Guys-

There are two kids I've noticed while Umpiring games in an Independent League last year that left me wondering why these kids weren't in some minor league system already. I also ran into them at several baseball facilities over the winter working together to help each other improve.

One of them is a Pitcher at University Of Massachusetts-Boston. His name is Dan Rivkin. Last season I would estimate he was touching 90 with his fastball and 87 with his Slider, 82 with his curve. I was behind the plate in 2 games he started and he struck out 17 or so batters. He's a big 6-3 Right handed power arm which can be efficient out of the pen or starting I believe he is from Enfield, CT.

The other kid I actually got to talk to a lot since he is a catcher. So I know a little more info on him.

Lorenzo Conte- He resides in Somers, CT. I believe he is a 22 but I am not sure on his age. I know he was a graduate from Cheney Tech in Manchester, CT. This kid is by far the best catcher I have ever seen in any leagues.(That includes Legion, Twilight, HS, and any College Game I umpired in.) I Umpired about 40 percent of his Independent League games last year(25 game schedule). Out of those games he threw out roughly 87 percent trying steal on him. I looked up the league stats last year when looking at the schedule and his batting avg was .427 with 32RBIs. He also had a extremely high OBS. He has + speed and I have seen him play CF and LF as well. He easily can man either of the three positions with ease) Thing is this kid hasn't played college ball of any kind. He does lack size, being somewhere between 5-5 and 5-7 I'm not really sure.

I've seen these two practicing indoors at Extra Innings in Agawam, Mass. the past few Saturdays. So even though only one of them actually plays college ball. These two could easily main a spot for Minor League teams. (In Lorenzo's case someone needs to convince him to play some college ball because in all honesty he is the best catcher I've seen in the past 14 years I've umpired).

JR

JR, I'm not sure which ump you are, but I play in the league you're talking about. I was actually doing a search for Dan Rivkin's college stats, since we're playing his team in a couple weeks. His first year in the league he wasn't that good, but he changed his delivery to a more side arm type and it got a lot harder to pick up the ball. Your velocity estimates are way off though, and he only has one breaking ball, and he telegraphs it big time. I don't know if you've done our games, but we happen to have the two best pitchers in the league, Nate and Ronald, and they both throw noticeably harder than Rivkin. Nate tops out at about 88 on his fastball (when he really reaches back) and Ronald is about 85. By the way, Nate is 10-2, 1.47 ERA, 132 K, 24 BB, 21 R, 15 ER, 41 H, 71 1/3 IP in 1+ seasons with us. You should look for him if you get one of our games.

The catcher you mentioned is quite good, and scary to hit against when he comes in to pitch the one inning his arm allows. He overthrows a bit, and throws hard, but he's pretty wild. He's one of the few catchers in our league that we don't have an automatic green light for everyone to steal on.
Last edited by GHIBL

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.