Skip to main content

Too bad about StJ down in Tampa. PVI lost two of four in South Carolina, a tournament in which they had not lost a game in three or four years. PVI pitching, hitting, and fielding all suspect in this tournament. How did the other WCAC teams come out in their spring break tourneys?

PVI vs. DM this week. Should be a good game, as Costello will pitch for PVI. Who will get start for DM?

BI vs. StJ. Will StJ refocus and make BI pay for StJ's poor performance in FL?

Other games this week?
Okay, what are the details of the Costello injury? Is he out a game? A few? The season? Is it true that Frezza had Tommy John surgery? If Frezza and Costello are both done, that leaves McGee to carry the load with Veeder, Aker, Garner, Ruffin, and Kidd. Is that enough to win the league and/or tournament?

Who hit the ball for PVI last night?

What is up with DeMatha? I was told that McNamara also beat them recently. Is that correct?
re: SJC/BI -- Senior LHP Eric Meleney pitched 6 great innings for SJC, followed by sophomore righty Derek Carter. BI got some nice hits but all 3 runs were the result of errors. SJC bats were pretty much dead until the end. BI played a great game; I don't think they had one error. I think BI's pitcher stayed in the whole game. He did a great job. The whole team looked good. I am surprised their record is so poor.
Ryan Murakami is having a great year. But is he a better hitter than Lansing Veeder? Matt Kianka? Good for Ryan Murakami--I hope he bats .350 and gets to play in college. But Veeder and Kianka are big baseball talents and both are superb hitters. Is Murakami better than them?

Yes, LHPMom, BI was the better team on the field. No errors compared with two for St John's. Both pitchers were great. BI pitcher had nothing left for the 8th. BI must have had no other option at that point. There is not alot of depth there. For seven innings, BI outhit St John's. In the 8th, though, with a tired pitcher serving up pitches like they were sitting on a tee, they killed the ball. Shots were going off the bat like bullets. Would have been very interesting if BI had been able to go to a closer.

One thing I thought was done very poorly on both teams--run bases. Goodness. There had to have been 3 or 4 St John's kids oversliding bases on the turf, and 3 or 4 BI kids not knowing whether they were stealing, only to end up getting thrown out after making a late decision. On two occasions the BI kids were not even close to getting to second base.

That is terrible news at PVI. Very sad. Frezza and Costello are key to PVI being competitive because they lose two of their top three pitchers if those two are out. Also, what sort of pressure does that put on the other arms? Is Costello done for the year, even without surgery? Will he still hit and play 1B? If he has surgery, will he be ready to go at Radford in the fall? Spring?
NYY or isaac: Do you know the stats for Murakami vs. either Veeder or Kianka? Is his avg higher? OBP? Slugging? Anyone have those stats?

Talked to a St John's parent. He told me that the game last night was as if St John's was told to let BI make a game of it, and then were told to shift gears and play like they are capable of playing. He was not trying to show disrespect to BI. He was trying to explain how a team goes 7 innings and produces one run, then produces 3 in the 8th with hit after hit after hit. He said it was like watching two different teams--one that played the first 7 innings and one that played the 8th.
I don't have official stat sheets or anything like that, but having watched games and having talked to alot of PVI people, my guess is that Murakami and Veeder are probably about the same in all categories, from average to slugging to OBP to HRs. Veeder, you have to realize, plays SS and pitches, so he brings such great value to the team. Murakami is a strictly a DH and runner. He does not, unless injuries to other players force it, play in the field.

Kianka, not to make excuses, has had a tough year partly because he suffered an injury and did not play for several games in the early part of the season. He does not seem to have shaken it off. He has a world of potential physically--he now has to put aside the injury and rust and produce.

I do not know the details of the Frezza and Costello injuries, but would welcome anyone with knowledge offering facts about them. This is a big deal not just for those kids and PVI, but for the outcome of the league.
Isaac right on with Veeder vs Murakami stats. No question Veeder is a stud and Murakami is having an excellent year at the plate. No comparison as far as value to the team, with Veeder being one of the 10 best in the league in my opinion.
PVI played the France National team in an exibition last night (PVI won 6-5)........Costello and Frezza both batted. The word is rest both arms and see if things improve. Neither is scheduled for surgery, although likely for Frezza more than Costello. I don't see this impacting Costello at Radford though.......
quote:
Originally posted by Terror123:
The reason I said that also is illegal to play a scrimmage after we start the regular season in the WCAC. At least I thought and not. I know the public schools can play scrimmages but I was once told that was illegal.

I have no idea what the rules are about scrimmages/exhibitions during the season, but if it is/was illegal I am sure someone will pounce on it.

I wasn't there, but I was told PVI players and coaches didn't wear game uniforms, or anything with PVI logos and there were no umpires, so maybe it is "officially" just a goodwill practice with a team from another country.
PVI lost a close one to St. John's last night. St. John's delivered when they had to, striking out PVI's Veeder with bases loaded while producing a run in the 7th with smart, good baseball plays (single, E, sac fly, sac fly). PVI did better than some expected, given fact that Costello, who normally would have pitched this game, gave way to Garner, who does not have much varsity experience. With Frezza out, and Costello ailing, PVI's pitching depth, or lack of it, hurts them. In any case, both teams had some nice highlights (Costello HR as a DH, Farber with a HR and game winning sac fly, Bowie pitching a complete game).

PVI appears to be out of their groove, which they got prior to the SC trip. It seems some players are out of position, or are not comfortable with where they are on the field, or perhaps they are just not experienced enough at the varsity level to be confident out there. PVI needs to solidify its lineup and each player needs to commit to the team's success every inning of every game. Injuries are killing them, but the "next man up" concept must take over if they have any chance of competing down the stretch.
Out of town for a while. Back in time for GC win over PVI at PVI. PVI had great promise to start the season, but the loss of two top starters has killed them. Washington Post reports that Frezza had TJ surgery this week. Costello cannot pitch the rest of the way (calling it a tired arm). He will DH only. The only player hitting for PVI is Veeder (3 homers in last two or three games). The rest of the bats are silent. GC continues to find a way to beat teams. No one will pitch to Taylor so his numbers are down some. other kids picking up the slack.

OC looks like maybe they are going to peak at the right time. They have been beating teams badly. Will be intersting to see them in second round of play in WCAC. They have a shot to make some noise going into the tournament. Do they have the pitching depth to compete in the tournament?

SMR, McN, Gonzo, and BI still playing hard and making it interesting, but not getting enough wins to call them competitive against the top five. They can still hurt some teams down the stretch and in the tournaments.

I have not see a single truly dominant pitcher this year. So I don't know who will end up with Best Pitcher award. As for players, the best I have seen is Drew Farber at StJ. Big and very consistent bat. Good catcher and rocket arm. Will play at UNCW and do well if he stays healthy. He reminds me of PVI's Chad Morgan from last year. You expect him to hit the ball hard every time up, and he usually does. Coach of the Year? If OC stays hot, there you have it. If not, then GC or StJ, whoever wins it all.
Isaac,

Is it true that the PVI pitcher walked three straight in the top of the 7th of the GC/PVI game? If so, I feel bad for the kid... and his mom...

Agree 100% about Drew. Pitching-wise, I think Mike Bowie has been pretty dominant, but I don't know enough about the other pitchers in the league and the other games to make a true comparison.
Yes, PVI pitcher (Kidd, I believe) hit one batter and walked two--sac fly won the game for StJ. Perhaps not coincidentally, it was Kidd who threw the wild pitch in the first meeting that resulted in the runner scoring from 3B in the bottom of the 7th that won that game for GC.

PVI nearly gave one away last night to Gonzaga. Fortunate to win it. Veeder is on fire--another HR--someone help me out here--four in four games? He is holding PVI together nearly by himself, from pitching to fielding to hitting. The other guys are going to have to step up if they want to make any noise in the WCAC or VISAA tournaments. No doubt the injuries to Costello and Frezza have hurt them very badly.

Saw that GC took out BI again, 11-5 or something like that. Three HRs for GC. Word is that BI pitched soph and frosh. GC pitched 4 or 5 guys. Am told that GC's runs came mostly on HRs and BI's came in the first two innings with Kiesner and Zeigler each doing most of the damage. Those are BIs only two seniors who play full-time--very young team competing pretty well considering.

If there is a round of rainouts tomorrow and early next week, things will get very tough for everyone because makeups will get bunched up one after the other. Pitching depth will be at a premium.
quote:
Originally posted by isaacvanwart:
Yes, PVI pitcher (Kidd, I believe) hit one batter and walked two--sac fly won the game for StJ. Perhaps not coincidentally, it was Kidd who threw the wild pitch in the first meeting that resulted in the runner scoring from 3B in the bottom of the 7th that won that game for GC.

PVI nearly gave one away last night to Gonzaga. Fortunate to win it. Veeder is on fire--another HR--someone help me out here--four in four games? He is holding PVI together nearly by himself, from pitching to fielding to hitting. The other guys are going to have to step up if they want to make any noise in the WCAC or VISAA tournaments. No doubt the injuries to Costello and Frezza have hurt them very badly.

Saw that GC took out BI again, 11-5 or something like that. Three HRs for GC. Word is that BI pitched soph and frosh. GC pitched 4 or 5 guys. Am told that GC's runs came mostly on HRs and BI's came in the first two innings with Kiesner and Zeigler each doing most of the damage. Those are BIs only two seniors who play full-time--very young team competing pretty well considering.

If there is a round of rainouts tomorrow and early next week, things will get very tough for everyone because makeups will get bunched up one after the other. Pitching depth will be at a premium.

Veeder: 4 in 3 games, I am pretty sure. 2 v Ryken, 1 v GC and 1 last night. He has broken out in a big way of late.

PVI has gotten very solid pitching from those left, although Kidd has struggled. Too bad...everyone there says he has pitched VERY well in the past, no injury and a great kid. Defense has let them down in late innings. 5 1-run losses this season....one of the parents said all five had leads wasted. Starter left the GC game after 5 1/3 with a 6-2 lead (the 2 runs on a 2-run HR in the 1st), with 2 runners on because of balls that should've been caught and Bitto got thru the 6th with a 6-3 lead. Last night almost a carbon copy of the GC game.
nyyanks27--

I would not leave DeMatha off the list. Every year they seem to get better as the year goes on, so expect improvement in them before tournament. OC will also have a say, probably by beating a top four team (PVI?) in an early round. I think that if PVI's bats wake up (only Veeder's has), they can hit with either GC or StJ, each of which have 3, maybe 4, consistently good hitters (I like each 3-5, but not big on top or bottom of either order). PVI could have Murakami, Kianka, Veeder, Costello in the one through 4 holes. That should produce runs. But so far, only Veeder is hot, and PVI will lose early if they don't hit better than they have so far this year. The loss of Costello and Frezza has killed their rotation.
PVI 10 McNamara 6 in 11 innings.

PVI up 4-0 in 1st...Costello HR and several hits. Bats go silent for several innings and MC chips away and ties it. McGee pitched 4 nicely then lost some control...Garner pitches 4 strong...Aker follows with 2 strong...PVI scores 4 in the 11th to go ahead for good...their top hitters all stepped up when it counted...new kid, soph up from JV finished the 11th...looked good, but gave up an HR to MC's #23 (really good hitter).
StJ wins 3-2. Huge win that makes the regular season race a dead heat. Looks like DM and PVI are out of it, but both GC and StJ have tough games left, so either could win it.

McN beat Gonzaga big. McN is a greatly improved team whose record should be much better than it is.

DM beat BI 8-0. DM is still a top 5 team in the WCAC, with a shot at winning the tournament, if not the regular season, title. BI continues to compete with freshman and sophomore dominated lineup. Coach Gallagher is likely frustrated, because he coaches to win, but he has to be pleased that his upperclassmen continue to compete and that his underclassmen are gaining great experience for the future.

PVI had an off day. They play BI on Thursday and have a big game on Saturday vs. OC. Will Veeder, McGee, or Aker start for PVI vs. BI?
Big night in the WCAC last night. OC beats GC and StJ beats DM. StJ is in the driver's seat now. PVI sneaks by BI.

I saw the PVI game, and came away either very impressed with the great pitching performances or am aghast how poor the hitting was. The game ended 3-1. PVI had 3 runs on 5 hits. BI had 1 run on 4 hits. I will give the benefit of the doubt to the great pitching theory here.

Lansing Veeder, junior, is not PVI's #1. Costello and Frezza are out with injuries, and McGee is struggling with control. Veeder was firing mid-to high 80s all night. Great, sharp breaking ball. BI off balance all night. Only two hard hits for them, really.

Freshman Cody Hagenston scattered 5 hits over 7 innings, but two of those hits were off the bat of Robbie Kidd with RISP. Very timely. Solid hits both times. PVI got some good wood on the ball a few more times, but they were right at fielders. Hagenton is not overpowering by any stretch of the imagination, but he is very good with hitting his spots, changing speeds, and not giving in.

Neither defense was really tested much. Only one BI error and no PVI errors. All around, a very well played game.

Both of these teams are very young. BI mixes up the lineup, but usually starts two seniors (last night, they played 3 and used a senior as DH), two or three juniors or sophomores, and three or four freshmen. Their pitchers are all sophomores and freshmen. They should be very good in 2012 and 2013, with Guttman, Bladen, Tangora, and Hagenson all pitching very well. PVI starts one senior in the field (at 2B or SS), and relies on its juniors and sophomores to produce. The 2011s are a good group, if not the equivalent of the 2008s. The younger players are also stepping up. They should very competitive in 2011.
Last edited by isaacvanwart
I caught the PVI vs OC game last night. One of the best starts I've seen this year by McGee. On a sweltering day, he went deep in the game and was in control when there was chaos everywhere.....benches, coaches, players, umps....there was a point in the 2nd inning when McGee was actually pewking from the heat ON THE MOUND. He then proceeded to whiff the next batter...legendary. 6 innings, 3 Runs.
It didn't take long for the juices to get flowing. In the first inning, the OC dugout was complaining to the umps about the PVI Coach standing outside his 1B coaches box........that started the back and forth that seemed to last all game.

The real controversy started when the OC 3B Coach thought McGee threw at his kid. No way, no reason in my opinion. Just your normal HBP.
To me, the OC 3B Coach instigated things at that point by getting in to it with the PVI dugout over a pitch that I found was not intentional....lots of screaming back and forth. The OC dugout began to spill out because of all this commotion. To me, the whole event was incited by the OC 3B Coach. He was not hit on purpose.
The "retaliation" by OC......way over blown. The OC kid hit the PVI kid on the 3rd pitch of the at bat. Again, in my opinion, it got away. He was not hit on purpose. No shortage of screaming though. When you see enough pro, college ball it's not difficult to notice an intentional HBP. These 2 were not!

Not exactly sure who got tossed from OC. Either a coach or a player. That stemmed from a ground ball by OC that PVI Veeder at SS threw wide to first. The PVI first baseman came down the line, off the bag. One of those bang bang plays whre he tags the runner. Again, nothing dirty to me. I thought contact was unavoidable. The PVI kid could have done a better job pulling his arms in on the tag.....he got some of his shoulder on the OC kid. Contact like this happens often at first. I didn't think it was dirty at all, but one more incident in a game with several.
I read the write up on the DCSportsFan website. The DCSF reporter made the play at first out to be the big deal play--and pretty much said that the PVI kid intentionally tried to hurt the OC kid on the tag.

I don't think there is any way Eric McGee would intentionally hit a batter--in any situation. He is a good pitcher who focuses on the game, not on the silliness of trying to hit kids. Will he throw an inside strike? Sure. But I have seen him pitch alot, and I have never seen him intentionally hit anyone.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.