Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by isaacvanwart:
I read the write up on the DCSportsFan website. The DCSF reporter made the play at first out to be the big deal play--and pretty much said that the PVI kid intentionally tried to hurt the OC kid on the tag.

I don't think there is any way Eric McGee would intentionally hit a batter--in any situation. He is a good pitcher who focuses on the game, not on the silliness of trying to hit kids. Will he throw an inside strike? Sure. But I have seen him pitch alot, and I have never seen him intentionally hit anyone.

I was also at this game. I thought the conduct by the PVI coaches was quite poor--as were the umpires. The game was an ugly display of baseball as there was as much action with the coaches and umps as there was with the game itself. Fwiw, I thought the PVI 1st baseman deliberately tried to knock the runner's head off and after witnessing the PVI coaching staff, it didn't surprise me a bit.
We know it is getting down to the wire. The intensity is rising. The week before this one, PVI played a wild one against McNamara. Fans from each team looked at the same play and saw it completely differently. Some said the guy left 3B early on a tag up, some said he did not. Lots of hackles raised. McNamara believed it was shortchanged by umpires. WCAC is getting crazy here at the end.
quote:
Originally posted by Doubles Work:
quote:
Originally posted by isaacvanwart:
I read the write up on the DCSportsFan website. The DCSF reporter made the play at first out to be the big deal play--and pretty much said that the PVI kid intentionally tried to hurt the OC kid on the tag.

I don't think there is any way Eric McGee would intentionally hit a batter--in any situation. He is a good pitcher who focuses on the game, not on the silliness of trying to hit kids. Will he throw an inside strike? Sure. But I have seen him pitch alot, and I have never seen him intentionally hit anyone.

I was also at this game. I thought the conduct by the PVI coaches was quite poor--as were the umpires. The game was an ugly display of baseball as there was as much action with the coaches and umps as there was with the game itself. Fwiw, I thought the PVI 1st baseman deliberately tried to knock the runner's head off and after witnessing the PVI coaching staff, it didn't surprise me a bit.

I was there too...about 30ft from the play at 1B at the time (kinda wandering to find shade). Typical for a play like that at 1B...wide throw..1B comes off bag to make catch and tag...runner kind of steps sideways to avoid tag and get to the base...not a thing wrong with the tag to the chest, not the head, just caught the kid off balance and made it look alot worse then it was. A baseball play...

OC coaches questioned, and at times argued, EVERY close call and some not so close...head coach was on the field more than most of the players. The only time I saw the PVI coaches get loud, was when the OC 3B coach started yelling into the dugout.

OC 3B coach should have been ejected. Maybe he thought he was protecting a player and I can respect that, but when you drop the F bomb and tell the opposing dugout to meet in the parking lot after the game, you should be ejected. There was no cause for that. Kid got hit by a pitch. PVI player was also hit and none of their coaches said a word. I did not see the OC player say a word, to his credit...he wore it and went to 1st like you are supposed to do.
I have watched a lot of WCAC baseball this year. Call me crazy, but I like Dematha a lot. Fairly average pitching, but good enough to beat most all WCAC hitting on a given night and they hit the ball fairly consistently. They have been in most every game and beat Calvert Hall. I think they will make a nice run in the tournament.

I was at the PVI/O'Connell game. Here is what I saw with the tag. The ball was down the line and the first baseman made an aggressive tag. Would I call it dirty? Not at all. The game was already chippy well before that tag. The O'Connell 3B coach seemed a bit out of hand, but I honestly didn't hear everything that provoked the out burst. I do have a hard time hearing him cussing at people while on a high school field. Or even calling someone out ot the parking lot. I don't care how bad it gets, that is way beyond silly.

Who is the kid on first for PVI? I have seen him play 2 or 3 games. Athletic around the bag and has hit the ball each game I have seen him. I like him. Some dad told me he is a sophomore, but I don't know the name. Anyone know?

O'Connell is doing some good things, but they don't pitch it that well.
quote:
Originally posted by WCACFAN:
I have watched a lot of WCAC baseball this year. Call me crazy, but I like Dematha a lot. Fairly average pitching, but good enough to beat most all WCAC hitting on a given night and they hit the ball fairly consistently. They have been in most every game and beat Calvert Hall. I think they will make a nice run in the tournament.

I was at the PVI/O'Connell game. Here is what I saw with the tag. The ball was down the line and the first baseman made an aggressive tag. Would I call it dirty? Not at all. The game was already chippy well before that tag. The O'Connell 3B coach seemed a bit out of hand, but I honestly didn't hear everything that provoked the out burst. I do have a hard time hearing him cussing at people while on a high school field. Or even calling someone out ot the parking lot. I don't care how bad it gets, that is way beyond silly.

Who is the kid on first for PVI? I have seen him play 2 or 3 games. Athletic around the bag and has hit the ball each game I have seen him. I like him. Some dad told me he is a sophomore, but I don't know the name. Anyone know?

O'Connell is doing some good things, but they don't pitch it that well.

PVI 1B is Tyler Alger (sp). The kid can hit..3 hits on saturday...learning a new position, due to the Costello injury...literally never played 1B until the Costello injury. Sophomore.

OC 3B coach appears to have a "PVI thing"...or maybe just a little man complex...1st game against PVI at Waters Field, he found it necessary to walk in the middle of a PVI huddle between innings down the 3rd base line, because "they were on my 3B box"...before anyone justifies it, I saw and heard it...flexing muscles with HS kids...classy move...

I like DeMatha as well...in a 1 and out tournament...watch out.
Cannot disagree about DeMatha being very dangerous. Pitching is better than average, and fairly deep. Not lights-out-dominant, but get-the-job-done good. Hitting better than average, as is defense. Watch them for superb bunting and running. Coaches know how to coach to win.

PVI getting better each week as new players are now adjusting to varsity ball--Alger, for one. Inconsistent but now getting into a nice rhythm at the plate. I saw him in two games earlier and he did not hit at all, but he has had some very good games of late. It boils down to how far McGee and Veeder can take them. Aker will have to step up and be either a very good third starter or a very effective reliever.

StJ will be hard to beat. Just all-around good at everything. Clutch hitting has been remarkable.

GC is alot like DeMatha. All the tools, none much better than very good, except power hitting which can be off the charts. But they don't make many mistakes and will be hard to beat.

OC has an outside shot--but way outside. McNamara, BI, Ryken, and Gonzaga are spoilers only. Good teams on some days, not so good on others. All well coached and dangerous in any given game if they get pitching. All have beaten or threatened top four teams this year. Tournament could see a bottom four upset of a top four.

As for "the incident," interesting how people see it so differently. I suspect the "OC 3B coach appears to have a 'PVI thing'" is rooted in years of athletic rivalry in all sports, from OC storming PVI's football field when winning in the final seconds a year or two ago to PVI's huge basketball upset that next winter when the PVI kids nearly tore their own gym down in celebration. One of the more intense school rivalries in the WCAC, and it applies to all things.
Yeah, probably right about the rivalry thing, but that is for the players and students, not the coach challenging with a throw down in the parking lot.

I'd say the 2 PVI sophs, so far, have already stepped up to fill in for the injuries very well. Alger with his very timely hitting and Aker in relief (and he started against GC, pitched 5+ and left with a 6-2 lead). Don't leave Garner out of the mix. He too has pitched very well. I have not seen all the games, but everytime I have the players you mention, plus Garner, have all played real well. But you are right, they will have to continue, as will some others.

Any of the other teams have more than enough ability to serve as spoilers, if not win it outright. Time will tell.
Last edited by dblemup
Did anyone catch the GC/McNamara or PVI/Dematha games? I saw the results in the paper, but no idea what happened.

I will say I am surprised at both results. McNamara is playing tough and could be a real spoiler in the WCAC Tourney. What gives with GC??? No pitching??? I thought Dematha would have punked PVI last night. Very disappointing and might have to adjust my thoughts on them in the WCAC tournament. PVI came out with an impressive win, but as rhobbs mentions, they will have a tough time next week in navigating both tournaments at the same time.

I agree with dblemup on the sophs at PVI...Aker and Alger. They need to continue to do what they are doing. But they are not the straws that stir the drink. They need to contribute and not do anything that loses a game. PVI needs their big guns to come thru...Veeder, Costello, Kianka, etc...to do well.

I also saw St. Johns beat Ireton by a score of only 3-1. What is the deal with Ireton playing everyone tough? St. Johns does what it needs to do to win.
PVI vs DM.....the score said 10-6, but this was a butt whipping. It was 10-1 after 6. Garner pitched great for PVI, going 6 innings. Only DM run off him was a solo shot by Riffe. DM got 5 in the 7th off PVI Kidd, who looked decent......a few errors in the inning. Costello hit a homer and Kianka scorched the ball 3 times with several RBI's.
Playing everyone tough means that McNamara has fought and scratched and clawed all year, has given in to no one, and is a tough win for anyone, the top teams included. Beating GC as they did, they prove that they can get over the top and finish (which they failed to do against PVI when they should have won the game). McNamara is for real because their coaches have built, in just three years, a program that will get steadily better.

Shutting down DM for 6 innings is impressive. Garner is tough. Even with Costello and Frezza down and out, PVI will most often find a way to win with the "next man up" approach. Veeder, McGee, Alger, and Garner is a solid four-deep pitching staff. If they can get Kidd to pitch like he is capable of pitching, that will be a huge boost.

Did not see McNamara win over GC, but it reveals just how good McNamara can be. They are a team the top teams would prefer to avoid in the first round.
Well, I am still trying to figure out what happened to PVI vs. StJ last night. I never would have guessed it. StJ came out to play, that is for sure. This may motivate PVI in tournament--at least that is what must be hoped for.

Looking ahead, StJ has locked up the #1 seed. So, they play either SMR or BI. They almost certainly will win that game. Next up would be OC, PVI, McNamara? I think the WCAC tournament will turn interesting in the 2nd round.
First Team All-WCAC

C: Drew Farber, St. John's
1B: Michael Katz, O'Connell
2B: Sean Prince, O'Connell
3B: Kyle Riffe, DeMatha
SS: Nick Howard, St. John's
OF: E-Jay Baldwin, McNamara
OF: Charles Flowers, St. John's
OF: Matt Kianka, Paul VI
DH: Tyler Costello, Paul VI
U: Mark Williams, Gonzaga
P: Ben Garner, Paul VI
P: Lance Veeder, Paul VI
P: Jake Taylor, Good Counsel
P: Mike Bowie, St. John's

Coach of Year: Larry Prange, McNamara

Player of Year: Mike Katz, O'Connell
quote:
Originally posted by justakid:
First Team All-WCAC

Congrats to ALL of these young men...All very good players.
Honorable Mention

DeMatha: Ryan Burbrink, Joe Bittner

Gonzaga: Peter Davis, Jack Miossi

Good Counsel: Kyle Porter, Danny Martinson, Carter Bidwick, Collin McGowan, Kevin Doherty, Nick Trotta

Ireton: Jake Guttman, Corey Phillips, Tommy Kiesner, Andrew Selby, Brian Lewis

McNamara: Brad Sullivan, Hunter Mohlen, Connor Hax, James Joseph, Jordan McNair

O'Connell: John Duffy, Beau Fitzpatrick, Evan Sieve, Dillon Stoskus

Paul VI: Matt LaBarge, Ryan Murakami, Brian Robbett, Jonathan Bitto, Tyler Alger

St. John's: Kyle Kirsch, Nate Meiners, Derek Carter, Joe Kamp

St. Mary's Ryken: Kyle Jensen, Tyler Simms

Third Team All-WCAC

C: T.J. Brockway, Good Counsel
1B: No Player Selected
2B: Brady Schmidt, St. John's
3B: Alec Daniele, O'Connell
SS: No Player Selected
OF: Brandon Eady, DeMatha
OF: George Smith Jr., Good Counsel
OF: John Cusasamano, O'Connell
OF: Jack Hopkins, McNamara
DH: AJ. Bowman, Good Counsel
U: Bob Boyd, St. John's
P: Zack Stup, Good Counsel
P: James Kaplanges, DeMatha
P: Mitch Aker, Paul VI
P: Nikolay Uherek, DeMatha

Second Team All-WCAC

C: Brendan Burch, St. Mary's Ryken
1B: Henry Faunce, DeMatha
2B: Dillon Rudnicki, Gonzaga
3B: Brandon Grove, Good Counsel
SS: Baily Buckner, St. Mary's Ryken
OF: Matt Kohn, Good Counsel
OF: Devin Mackey, St. Mary's Ryken
OF: James Essex, O'Connell
DH: Nick Morabito, O'Connell
U: Andrew Tinder, McNamara
P: Eric McGee, Paul VI
P: Eric Meleney, St. John's
P: Jack Dowd, McNamara

First Team All-WCAC

quote:
I said it before. Watch out for DeMatha. They can hit it and if they get a little bit of pitching, they can be dangerous.

Who pitched for PVI? Who hit well for PVI?

I think most agree with you WCACFAN...DeMatha can hit with anyone and better then most...never to be taken lightly.

I saw some of the PVI game, so anyone else want to fill in the holes, feel free...PVI 10 MC 5

McGee started and pitched 4 solid innings...MC scored all 5 in the first on a couple of hits and some shaky defense, but settled down from then on...Was told Aker pitched the last 3. Didn't see how he threw, but didn't allow any runs.

PVI Hitting: From what I saw, everyone was hitting it well...don't know all their names, but I did see Kianka, Veeder, Costello and Alger kill the ball.

There was some great catches made in the OF by both teams...Baldwin and Murakami (sp)each made 2 highlight catches to save runs. Baldwin is the best OF'er I have seen in the WCAC.
Thanks for the information dblemup. Glad to hear Veeder, Costello and Kianka (this kid is a serious hitter) are still hitting. Seem to be on a roll. Also nice that the PVI soph's (Aker and Alger) are still contributing. How is their catcher doing? I like him. He is not Chad Morgan, but I like his arm and I seem to recall him hitting it well.

I have seen Baldwin play a number of times. He is super fast and really knows how to run down a ball. I love watching him play. I saw Baldwin play against GC. He made several nice plays. I have never seen anyone in HS who covers more ground.
quote:
Thanks for the information dblemup. Glad to hear Veeder, Costello and Kianka (this kid is a serious hitter) are still hitting. Seem to be on a roll. Also nice that the PVI soph's (Aker and Alger) are still contributing. How is their catcher doing? I like him. He is not Chad Morgan, but I like his arm and I seem to recall him hitting it well.

I have seen Baldwin play a number of times. He is super fast and really knows how to run down a ball. I love watching him play. I saw Baldwin play against GC. He made several nice plays. I have never seen anyone in HS who covers more ground.

The catcher, Brian Robbet (sp), from what I am told...good story...may be the most improved player on the team...PT JV player last year...to a FT starter and leader on the Varsity this year, this according to a few of the parents I know. From what I have seen, he runs the pitchers and few run on him. Plus, a timely hitter...I saw him hit twice last night. He hit it hard both times, once a hit, once an out. Wish I had more info on last night's game, because it was fun to watch. Some great defensive plays on both sides, although a tough night for one of the MC defenders. Didn't want to leave early, but had another commitment. The Baldwin kid can flat out play the field and I have seen him hit it hard, especially for his size. I did hear today that Aker struck him out at the end of the game. Baldwin derserves the 1st team WCAC OF honor from what I have seen.

In short, MC had 1 big inning, the 1st...PVI hit the ball hard all night and got more than solid pitching and defense.
quote:
Originally posted by Bear:
Can anyone confirm the times and DH for the WCAC semi's on Sun May 16 and at Univ of Maryland.

Game 1 ? 3:00 pm ?...P VI vs GC
Game 2 ? 7:00 pm ?...St J vs DeM

It is my understanding that the highest remaining seed picks the time they play. If that is the case, St. Johns gets to choose. Don't know if they have, or not.
Finals - WCAC Championship, Shipley Field
(weather permitting) Monday May 17. 07:00 pm.

DeMatha Stags vs Good Counsel Falcons.

Both Semi-Playoff games were not..... pretty.

G1. Good Counsel handled Paul VI and after
the first inning, rather easily.
WP: McGowan (2012) Taylor (S)
LP: Veeder
HR: Taylor

Underclassman to watch: K. Doherty (2012),
McGowan (2012), Brockway (2011); Kianca (2011)

G2. DeMatha pretty much embarrased St. Johns and arguably every facet of tonights game.
WP: Uherek (2011)
LP: Bowie

Underclassman to watch: R. Boyd (2011),
Korenblatt (2011); Uherek, Burbrink (2011),
Eady (2011), Morris (2011)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.