Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by nyyanks27:
Paul VI at Good Counsel Saturday, the 20th, at 1pm
Tyler Costello vs Jake Taylor

Date: Mar 20, 2010 5:40 PM
Subject: Fw: Good Counsel 5, PVI 4 mar 20

At Bottegal Field, the GC Falcons home opener was one forever to be remembered by those in attendance.
Jake Taylor of Good Counsel vs Tyler Costello (both Radford bound) battled through five innings with a tie score at four each. Taylor had four hits off Costello, two homeruns, one in the first and another in the fifth, and a hard hit single in the 3rd, and a seventh inning double into left field. Kevin Doherty bunted JP Purce ,pinch runner,over to third , scoring on a wild pitch by P6 Robbie Kidd for the GC victory.

Good Counsel is 2-0, and now 1-0 in WCAC Conf play.
George Smith (LaSalle), Matt Kohn (Hopkins), TJ Brockaway , Kyle Porter (Tallahassee CC) and Brandon Grove (UNCG), and Zach Stup had six of the Falcons ten game impacting hits.
Last edited by Bear
No panic at PVI, I am sure. Two losses to two top-notch teams. PVI will lose here and there, but the Gonzaga game and McNamara game will get them on a nice roll, and, before you know it, they will be at the top of the WCAC standings. St. John's and PVI are still the teams to beat, but DeMatha is always right there and Good Counsel is also special this year because of Taylor. He bombed PVI pitching last year and PVI won it all. He bombed PVI pitching this year and PVI still might win it all. Taylor is as good a HS hitter as I have seen in a long, long time. He hits not just the average pitcher. He is hitting bombs off the top pitchers the league has to offer. But GC may not have the pitching depth to carry them the whole year. We'll see.
brief but incomplete details from pvi v gonzaga. eric mcgee started for pvi. probably pitched 2 or 3 innings. seemed to have good velocity but worked to find the strike zone. dillon rudnicki hit a 2run HR. mark williams started for gonzaga and pitched through 5 innings. gonzaga was up 7-2, and then good hits by pvi and a series of defensive errors by gonzaga. score was 8-7. new pitchers in for both teams. veeder hit a solo hr. final score, 13-7 pvi.
quote:
Originally posted by Terror123:
Good Counsel and St. John's have shown that they are very good. I think they might the favorite as opposed to PVI and St. John's.

PVI starts 0-2. I am not saying that is the end of the world but when a coaching staff promotes you as one of the top teams in the country then you would expect a better start.

They are a nice club but hardly one of the top teams in the country.
quote:
Originally posted by justakid:
brief but incomplete details from pvi v gonzaga. eric mcgee started for pvi. probably pitched 2 or 3 innings. seemed to have good velocity but worked to find the strike zone. dillon rudnicki hit a 2run HR. mark williams started for gonzaga and pitched through 5 innings. gonzaga was up 7-2, and then good hits by pvi and a series of defensive errors by gonzaga. score was 8-7. new pitchers in for both teams. veeder hit a solo hr. final score, 13-7 pvi.

Some more info...McGee came out in the 2nd with no outs, replaced by a sophomore (don't know name) who pitched 5 innings and Veeder closed the 7th. PVI held Gonzaga scoreless the last 5 innings, while their bats came alive...aided by some walks and a couple of errors.
quote:
but the Gonzaga game and McNamara game will get them on a nice roll, and, before you know it

Is that roll you excepted? PVI is staff is one the best on the area but I still shocked that they promoted a team that has not performed as well as the promoted them too.

Maybe their sch was too hard or maybe their arms aren't ready but it looks bad for the area when you get nationally ranked and cover story written about yo and start 0-2. Now 3-2 but nothing top 50 in the country should be. I think Good Counsel has look the best so far with a quite DeMatha in the background beating a good Calvert Hall. It will be a great playoffs.
quote:
Originally posted by Terror123:
quote:
but the Gonzaga game and McNamara game will get them on a nice roll, and, before you know it

Is that roll you excepted? PVI is staff is one the best on the area but I still shocked that they promoted a team that has not performed as well as the promoted them too.

Maybe their sch was too hard or maybe their arms aren't ready but it looks bad for the area when you get nationally ranked and cover story written about yo and start 0-2. Now 3-2 but nothing top 50 in the country should be. I think Good Counsel has look the best so far with a quite DeMatha in the background beating a good Calvert Hall. It will be a great playoffs.

Get off the preseason rankings. Nobody takes them serious and I doubt PVI does. Doesn't matter what you are ranked in early March, it matters where you finish. It won't be an easy road for any of the WCAC teams. Whoever wins it, will have earned it.
I have now seen a WCAC game for each team, and I have to tell you, I am impressed with the balance in the league this year. I still think PVI, St. John's, DeMatha, and GC are at the top and, because of depth, are a cut above. But you have to give credit to O'Connell for shellacking GC, and to BI for playing DeMatha and PVI essentially even, and to Gonzaga, SMR, and McNamara for being so vastly improved. These latter three teams can, and probably will, beat a top team at least once this year. And O'Connell and Gonzaga and maybe Ireton will get a couple of wins off the top of the league somewhere along the way (season or tournament). The coaches are very good across the board, getting the most out of the players, and the players are tenacious in battling. When McNamara, SMR, and BI are losing to top teams by 1 run, it is a good sign for competitiveness.

Okay, PVI is getting into a groove. Three straight--or is it four? I cannot figure out how O'Connell took down GC, but O'Connell must either be very good or had a really exceptional night. DeMatha obviously can beat anyone. That remains the top. I would encourge you to get out matchups when any of these top four teams square off.

One game of note from last night. It is good to see that BI is getting better after its rough start. They have battled the league's best the last three years and challenged the conventional wisdom. It looked like BI was never going to be able to carry that into this year. When they started out with four losses, three by mercy rule, it appeared they were going to be doormats. Instead, Coach Gallagher has found some great pitching, good defense, and timely, gritty hitting. They lost 4-3 to DeMatha at DeMatha. They lost last night to PVI, at PVI, 5-4, in a game that could easily have gone the other way. PVI eaked out a win as a result of a single BI error (with two outs, that ended up costing them 3 runs). BI got 1 in the 5th and 3 in the 7th. That game could easily have been 4-2, BI. Take away a single E and that is, indeed, how it ends. Yes, PVI won it, but the good news for the competitiveness of the league is that BI is capable of battling. If they get the pitching, they can compete. This is so much better for everyone, PVI, St. John's, DeMatha. . . included, since it forces those teams to compete every night. The same is true with SMR and McNamara. While someone will finish last in the WCAC, there is no doormat this year. That is a good thing.
quote:
Originally posted by dblemup:
quote:
Originally posted by justakid:
actually, the OC Good Counsel was the upset. anyone have details on that?

Was not at the game, but heard:

James Essex pitched 5 1/3, 7k
Morabito 4 RBI
GC didn't hit
...and it was really windy Smile))

Atta boy Nick Morabito. Apparently, it wasn't windy when he was up to bat!!
quote:
Originally posted by nyyanks27:
rhobbs....who pitched for PVI vs BI the other night?

Not trying to steal rhobbs' thunder here...but I did get to see most of this one...feel free to add or correct rhobbs...

McGee: 5inn, 1 hit (bunt), 1 run, looked good
Aker (sp): 1 inn, 0 hit, 2K
Ruffin: 1 inn, couple hits, couple BBs, error, 3 runs...not his night, seen him do much better
Last edited by dblemup
nyy27: dblemup is correct. McGee started and threw 4 strong innings. BI had some nice shots, but at people. McGee had his share of Ks. BI did not really threaten him until the 5th. They loaded up the bases with one out. BI #3 hitter Zeigler hit a ground ball up the middle. PVI correctly playing for a DP ground ball so that Veeder, the SS, was right at the bag for a DP. 2 outs, or no one on first, and it is probably a run scoring hit. But not in this situation. McGee escaped serious damage but it was clear he was done. Aker was VERY strong. BI seemed unable to touch him. Ruffin pitched better than the numbers indicated. An error in LF on a routine fly ball got it all started for BI. Once they got something going, they ratched up the heat with solid hitting. Ruffin finally got the final out with two men on. He threw well, kept ball down, but BI's bats were pretty hot in that inning.

McGee, I understand from the PVI folks, is going to Penn State to play. He is sitting at about 85 mph on his fastball but seems to be able to crank it up above that. He is about 6'4" or better, and very strong and solid. Good mechanics, it appears, and seems to have avoided any sort of serious arm problems (unlike Frezza, who, I am told, is out for the year). Penn State will probably have the kid throwing low nineties by spring of 2011. He could become a force with proper work ethic and quality coaching and training.

The Aker kid was impressive. Had to be throwing at least mid-80s. Wicked curveball. Great control. Don't know what his size will end up being--not very big now--but he pitched very well.

Ruffin is big and strong. Unusual delivery but had good control with it. I cannot say why BI hit him so much better than Aker. I think Aker faced 4/5/6. Ruffin faced, if I was counting it right, 7/8/9/1/2/3/4.
quote:
Originally posted by rhobbs:
nyy27: dblemup is correct. McGee started and threw 4 strong innings. BI had some nice shots, but at people. McGee had his share of Ks. BI did not really threaten him until the 5th. They loaded up the bases with one out. BI #3 hitter Zeigler hit a ground ball up the middle. PVI correctly playing for a DP ground ball so that Veeder, the SS, was right at the bag for a DP. 2 outs, or no one on first, and it is probably a run scoring hit. But not in this situation. McGee escaped serious damage but it was clear he was done. Aker was VERY strong. BI seemed unable to touch him. Ruffin pitched better than the numbers indicated. An error in LF on a routine fly ball got it all started for BI. Once they got something going, they ratched up the heat with solid hitting. Ruffin finally got the final out with two men on. He threw well, kept ball down, but BI's bats were pretty hot in that inning.

McGee, I understand from the PVI folks, is going to Penn State to play. He is sitting at about 85 mph on his fastball but seems to be able to crank it up above that. He is about 6'4" or better, and very strong and solid. Good mechanics, it appears, and seems to have avoided any sort of serious arm problems (unlike Frezza, who, I am told, is out for the year). Penn State will probably have the kid throwing low nineties by spring of 2011. He could become a force with proper work ethic and quality coaching and training.

The Aker kid was impressive. Had to be throwing at least mid-80s. Wicked curveball. Great control. Don't know what his size will end up being--not very big now--but he pitched very well.

Ruffin is big and strong. Unusual delivery but had good control with it. I cannot say why BI hit him so much better than Aker. I think Aker faced 4/5/6. Ruffin faced, if I was counting it right, 7/8/9/1/2/3/4.

Nice coverage there rhobbs. The OF error was a killer. The lights are not good at PVI and causes problems for many. It was real nice to see McGee back to form after struggling against Gonzaga. I also heard he was going to PSU, good for him.

Aker is every bit of 6'1", but is pretty slim, roster says 160. One of the parents said he is only 15, so will probably fill out. He seemed to be hitting his spots that night.
Last edited by dblemup
If Kianka comes back hot, and stays hot, PVI will be tough to beat. StJ, DM, and GC can beat them, but few others will be able to do so. Kianka, when hot, is their best hitter. The lineup could be McGuigan, Murakami, Kianka, Veeder, Costello. Those top five are as good, if hot, is as good as the top five from 2008. The rest of the order is somewhat suspect against quality pitching, but PVI can produce a ton of runs up front. And, if they get some bleeders and wounded duck hits from the next 4 or 5 in the order, they will be awfully tough to ebat.

Garner, Aker, Bitto, Kidd. . . and Frezza when healthy--pitching looks good for next year as well.

This team will come back from South Carolina as it did last year--in peak form and ready to contend for the championship.
If those four teams each were to beat up on one another so that each has two or three league losses, they should each still be in the top ten in this area. There is no way that there are 7 or more better teams in the Metro area this year. The current rankings look about right, though I am convinced PVI's pitching depth and experience will result in them competing with St. John's for the regular season title. As for the tournament, any of these four could win it. One, maybe two, may be beaten before the semi-finals. But in the finals, I expect to see two of these four teams.
PVI lost in South Carolina for the first time in many years. PVI usually wins the Southeastern Baseball Classic in undefeated fashion. Not this year. They lost 2-1 with Tyler Costello on the mound. Ahead 1-0 in the 7th, they lost it on a series of errors. Also, clearly not enough hitting. They can still win the tournament if they go undefeated the rest of the way.
quote:
PVI lost in South Carolina for the first time in many years. PVI usually wins the Southeastern Baseball Classic in undefeated fashion. Not this year. They lost 2-1 with Tyler Costello on the mound. Ahead 1-0 in the 7th, they lost it on a series of errors. Also, clearly not enough hitting. They can still win the tournament if they go undefeated the rest of the way.

PVI played TL Hanna from SC...good team...Costello pitched a gem, as did Hanna's pitcher...

PVI wins game 2 against a PA team 6-5...don't all the details...McGee starts, got hit with a line drive and hade to come out...Aker throws 5...Bitto closes...Murakami GW double in the 7th.
quote:
Originally posted by dblemup:
quote:

PVI played TL Hanna from SC...good team...Costello pitched a gem, as did Hanna's pitcher...

PVI wins game 2 against a PA team 6-5...don't all the details...McGee starts, got hit with a line drive and hade to come out...Aker throws 5...Bitto closes...Murakami GW double in the 7th.

PVI beats North Stafford 3-2 in 8. Garner throws 7 very strong innings. Veeder closes and score game winner after doubling to lead off the 8th.

PVI plays host team Hartsville today at 4:30.
St Johns lost twice in the Easter Jesuit tourney.... To Tampa Jesuit 21-4 (wow) and then to St. Pete Catholic 11-8.... Jesuit did win the tourney pretty easily...

This is from the Maryland thread, but thought the WCAC thread could talk about more than just pvi.

What happened to st johns that it suffered so in Florida?

Gonzaga held Tampa Jesuit to 9 runs through 7 innings - with only 5 or 6 earned.
Errors, errors, and more errors for SJC. Jesuit threw their #1 pitcher. A big lefty who has signed with Florida. There were 7 scouts there that night and the pitcher was 90-93. Nick Howard started for SJC and he was 90 on the gun.

SJC got a lot of ground balls but couldn't execute the outs in the 2nd inning. This led to a 15 run inning. SJC got 4 runs off of the Jesuit starter, the most he has given up all year.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.