Skip to main content

34's JV season underway....he is a freshman...team starts 4 or 5 freshman, depending on who is pitching.

The good:

BA of .600, OBP .750, 7RBI batting in the 5 hole, lots of RBI chances, hitting to all fields

The not so good:

Team is 2-2, lost a close one to our biggest rival, got blown out by an out of league school and blew out two weak teams.

The interesting:

34 is part of a platoon behind the plate. When he does not catch, he DH's for the other catcher or plays the OF. Think the coach is doing it the right way. 34 throws well but not as good at blocking balls in the dirt. Other catcher is strong on the balls in the dirt. He is giving each of the catchers an equal chance to work on their weaknesses. The varsity coach brought in a former player who is waiting for his independent league season to start to work with 34 and 34 is learning a ton.

JV coach has a balanced approach, uses the games against the weaker teams to make sure everyone plays.

Have three games this week. Should be interesting.

JR Legion tryouts underway. Last cut next sunday.
Congrats to Southpaw_Son! I finally figured out where he was playing...I knew it was close, but the April 9th game answered it for me as I know both the SR catcher and the FR CF and families. Great folks! The CF's Mom had said he'd been pulled up and some similar details to yours..

Good luck the rest of the way! Hope the rain holds off for tonight's games! I know lots of kids and all of the coaches for your opponent tonight as well since my son has played for or with most of them! Actually, I could say that BOTH of my sons have played with several of the kids!
Tough day yesterday for son's HS team, and the loss was the third worst thing to happen.

In the 3rd inning the 3B took a hard hit bad hop right on his jaw. Went down to one knee wobbling like Mike Tyson hit him. Ugly swollen after the game. Parents took him the ER to check on concussion.

In the 6th inning pitching is covering home on a wild pitch. Runner slides into him and he crumbles to the ground moaning in pain. Haven't heard yet but possible ACL issue. Probably out for the year.

Hard to watch kids get seriously hurt.
Sorry, but I just have to brag a little:

Son is a senior pitcher, 3rd year on varsity, injured last year and didn't have much chance to contribute. Worked very hard over the winter to get back into playing shape. So far his season has been more than we could ask for. The team is 6-0, and he has 3 of the wins, the latest coming last night as his first no-hitter ever! It was a great pitcher's duel, the good guys winning 2-0. Worked 7 innings, 80 pitches, no walks, 2 errors away from a perfect game. I think even he was a little shocked with the results of his hard work.
OH BBMom, congratulations.

Son took the mound today (yesterday's game postponed because of wonderful "spring" weather Smile). He struggled some...going deeper into counts. Gave up 2 runs during his part of the outing. Top of 4th, batter hits a hard, low-liner...you could hear the "pop" in the stands when it hit son's leg. He crumpled to the ground, coaches went out...dad stopped breathing. After a few minutes he got up, made a few throws, and finished the inning. They iced him for the rest of the game. He has a baseball bruise on the outside of his leg, just above the knee. We'll take him in for x-rays...possible MRI if that's what his Doctor feels is necessary. (Or if his parents feel it is necessary.)

On the plus side, Varsity squad pulled off another one, winning in 6 innings 13-3. They are now 13-2 (4-1 Region). The next game is tomorrow. Son should be in the dug-out cheering for his teammates. Dad will be in the stands cheering for the team.

On a side-note, HC told son he needed to work on his reflexes. He told son that they were going to work on dodging or catching. If the coach threw a wrench from behind, son would need to turn and catch it in time Big Grin.

Such is baseball.
Fills Fan, its tough when the injury bug bites your team. Hope the kids recover quickly.

OH BBMom, great news, cheers for you son.

34's team had a great win today. First win against a quality team, a nearly flawless 5-1 win. Team had great pitching, strong defense and timely hitting. Game was scoreless until the 5th when we scored two runs on a walk, a SB, a well executed squeeze and a two out single. 34 hit one 420 feet to center with the bases loaded. Too bad the fence was 425 feet! He ended up going 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored as the DH. Hit the ball hard all four times up. Now hitting 467.

Coach is begining to settle in with the lineup, relying more on his sophmores. Today, had Freshman at 3rd, LF, C, and DH. Moved a soph from LF to 2B and the new 2B made several great plays. 34 continues to platoon behind the plate, today he was the DH, batting in the five hole. The other catcher had a rough day with his throws, but it did not cost the team and I think the coach will continue the platoon. In my opinion, he is able to get 10 guys playing regularly this way. Although it costs 34 some reps behind the plate, I think the coach is doing the right thing. 34 gets his AB's and plenty of work in practice. His teammate, the other catcher gets his reps too, so no one loses. I like the competition, it is keeping 34 on his toes.
From a team standpoint my son's season is going horribly. He's not happy after games. I think he's only been on one losing team (middle school age travel basketball) in any sport. Fortunately he turns it off by the time he gets home.

On an individual level I think he's sleep walking through the season. I'm afraid to pinch him and wake him up. His batting average and on base percentage is so ridiculous no one would believe it. He did have one nightmare inning on the mound. Other than that one inning on the mound it's been a great personal season. He'd trade it all in to win.
Last edited by RJM
Bballson has been pitching very well this year. Don't want to go through all the numbers, but it has been very good, especially for a sophomore pitching varsity in the toughest region in the state. Put it this way, he was upset after Monday night's game because he gave up a 3-run HR. They were the only runs scored in 6 innings of work. He asked what his ERA was now and it ticked him off because it went from 1.2 to 1.67. Still not a bad place to be.

On the other hand, he has been starting second baseman most of the season. He has really struggled with his hitting. For whatever reason, he has not been aggressive enough. Taking a lot of strikes and getting stuck in an 0-2 hole an awful lot. I really think it has been bothering him - even though he won't really admit it. Well, last night, we were down 2-0 bottom of 7th with one out. He comes to the plate and winds up hitting his first HS home run. We wound up losing, 2-1, but I was happy to finally see him come through. Hopefully, this will give him the confidence he needs to get up to the dish and SWING!!! Come on dude - get the bat off your shoulder. Good job last night bballson.
bbballman, congrats to your son on his first HS home run. Just what he needs to build confidence and start a hot streak at the plate.

27"sDad, glad to hear that. How soon will he be back in the line up?

34's team won again today, they are now 4-2. 34 started behind the plate, threw out 1 of 2 runners trying to steal. He has now thrown out 2 of the 4 runners who have attempted. Team's pitchers are doing a good job holding the runners on. He was also 3-3 with a double and a HBP. Nice welt on the back of his leg, you can see the seams.

He is now hitting .555 Coach moved him to the 4 hole for this game, kind of weird to see his little 5'8" 135 pound frame in the cleanup spot.

It is pretty funny, he's always been a solid hitter, but he never expected a start like this to HS ball. Perhaps its like RJM said: "sleep walking through the season". We won't try to wake him.......

Next game is Saturday, one of his teachers actually coaches the other team--lots of ribbing going on in class.
24&34Dad, congrats to 34. Sounds like not only a good game, but a great start to the season!

Son plans on taking the bump on Tuesday. Hopefully, he'll feel up to it. He'll see the trainer again tomorrow, and start working the leg to see how much it can take.

Varsity squad lost 9-8 in the bottom of the 7th on a wild pitch. The game went back-and-forth. Son's team went up 4-1, opposing team came back to lead 5-4. Son's team tied it at 5, only to see the other side go up 7-5. Top of 7th, took the lead 8-7. Bottom of 7th...

The squad is now 13-3 (4-2 Region) with a series against a tough opponent on Tuesday.
Son took the mound for his first official high school game. He started for the freshman team and went 4 innings (still early for our season..lol) giving up zero hits, walking 3 and striking out 10. No ball left the grass of the infield..lol. For some reason when he pitches he can not hit for beans. Went his typical 0-fer at the plate. But it was his mound work that mattered most. First game and first win is in his pocket.

Congrats to everyone else who's child has done well over the last couple of days!! And heads up to those who son's have had a bit of a tough stretch.
redsox, I tell my son not to worry too much about hitting when he is pitching. I let him know "you're getting paid to pitch today, not hit". I think the pitching mentality and hitting mentality are different and it is tough to turn it on and off. That may be part of why pitchers don't hit so well.

Keep up the good work.
quote:
RJM, great to hear of your son's first varsity hr, plus the team win.

Ditto for me...I've enjoyed following your son's progress since he's about the same age and size etc as my son....son had a first also last night..first inside-the-park HR...lined an opposite field shot over the RF's head in one of the Diamondback's spring training fields and by the time the RF tracked it down, he was home....

We had a great win on Tuesday, 5-1 over one of the better teams in our league so last night a newspaper intern shows up to cover our game against a very weak team (we won 24-2)...We're the defending State Champs so after the game he interviewed my son about what he thought was their chance of repeating....

"As long as we win, there's no reason why we can't repeat,"

Duh... Wink
quote:
Originally posted by RJM:
The best news today was the team joined the sleepwalk and pounded out fifteen runs for a win. Losing was starting to $uck. Jr added a 380 rocket into a slight wind for his first varsity homer.

RJM,
Congratulations to your son on his first Varsity Dinger, and the success he's had overall this year with his bat...it's always sweet when it comes with a Team Win!

My kid has been up and down all year with his stick. He said he's starting to see the ball well again, so hopefully it will translate into some solid numbers the last few weeks of league play. Thankfully, he's playing very good defense in the OF, has pitched very good, and his team is just a 1/2 game out of first place!
34's team had another win yesterday, 20-5, playing a school 4 miles up the road, with a lot of players he has played with/against in travel ball or summer ball. His PE teacher is the coach for that team. The game felt like a big deal, all in fun of course....The other team brought down two starters from varsity, the starting pitcher and cleanup hitter. The clean-up hitter was 6'6". It did not help.....

34 continued his hot hitting, 2/3 with a walk and 2 RBI, 3 runs scored. Started the scoring off in the 1st inning with a shot to right center. He is now at .571 BA, OBP .700. He will come down to earth at some point, but while it lasts, he is enjoying it.

Coach continues the DH/catcher rotation for 34. I think its great for the team and 34. Coach keeps two players in the game in one fielding spot, and 34 hits every game so he get's his AB's. 34 generally hits for the other catcher, but Coach gets him AB's in a pinch hitting/sub role most games. This way, he keeps two players developing...the competition is good for the two kids, who will talk catching together quite a bit.

One other observation..the freshman continue to perform. We started our JV soph. "ace", who ran out of off gas in the 4th
and a freshman pitcher came in and shut the door. In any given game the offense has been led by our freshman as was the case yesterday. Coach started 4 frosh, 5 sophs.

Next game is Tuesday.

Good luck to all the players out there....keep playing hard.
Last edited by 24&34Dad
Thanks RR23! Saw RR23jr's name in an article (again!)...too bad they misspelled his name. My son hated that they were calling him 'Mack' at the start of the season so I'm sure your son's reaction was the same....

We beat our conference rivals Friday for the first time since Hawk19's been playing (so we're 1-6 now). Final was 4-0...We've faced their same pitcher in all seven games and finally got the monkey off our backs...
That's great news Hawk. I am rooting for you guys to repeat. I see Hawk19Jr is doing great! Keep up the good work. Does he have any colleges in mind yet?

RR23Jr nursing a mildly strained hamstring at this point. Missed last 2 games after that game article you read about ( Running off those 2 2bs Smile) Too bad as he was getting hot but better to rest before the playoffs start. He is doing better but needs clearance from trainer before going back.

Again..Good Luck!
RR23
I'm late to this thread. My son is 3-2 on the mound. He started slow, but has three complete game victories in the last three weeks. He has the rock tomorrow evening in a must win.

We only have 4 games left in our season over the next two weeks and have to win them all, or we'll be done with our season in April.

As far as hitting goes, well he's the #2 varsity pitcher as a Sophomore!
Jmoff, congrats!

Son took the bump today. Not a pretty game. 6 errors in the field, too many walks. Son's team was up 5-1 going into the 5th when the wheels fell off. Ended up giving up 8, and taking another liner...this time in the other knee Frown. Righty Reliever came in and held better. But I'm sure that the 8 were son's. Batting order was able to put up some more runs and tie the game. Junior lefty came in in the 6th to hold it to a 9-9 tie. Bottom of 6th, son's team was able to score one, and the junior lefty closed out the top of the 7th for a well-deserved 10-9 victory.

Team is now 14-3 (5-2 Region) with the away game against this team on Thursday.

Rest...Ice...Compression...Elevation. I'm about to join the anti-metal bat crowd Wink. Watching your son go down 2 weeks in a row is no fun at all...
quote:
Originally posted by 27"sDad:

Rest...Ice...Compression...Elevation. I'm about to join the anti-metal bat crowd Wink. Watching your son go down 2 weeks in a row is no fun at all...

I hear ya 27, that has to be quite nerve racking? I guess your son is lucky that they're playing tag on his lower extremities the last two weeks, and not the uppper! Hopefully he'll be just fine and keep plugging away!

I don't get nervous when my son pitches, and more importantly, neither does he. However, I'm always worried about that LD back through the box! And the harder he pitches, the harder that line drive becomes...and that does make me nervous!

247Jr. had a good game today. He seems to be seeing the ball much better, and has hit the ball on the screws his last few at bats. His team is in first place, and the kids are playing very well together! They're pretty fun to watch right now, and with two weeks left before the playoffs, hopefully they'll keep this confidence/swagger!
Been away from the site for awhile, since my son is actually in HS now will start posting a bit. My freshman started the season on JV as starting SS and #1 pitcher(not to my liking on bump all the time)hit .580 with 1 error at SS, pitched decent. Called up to Varsity with 11 games left on Varsity schedule. Game 1 with Varsity called in to play SS when starter went to bump. Started at SS 5 games and played innings 5-7 three times so far with 1 error..3-7 with 6 walks. So far so good!! Cool
quote:
I hear ya 27, that has to be quite nerve racking? I guess your son is lucky that they're playing tag on his lower extremities the last two weeks, and not the uppper! Hopefully he'll be just fine and keep plugging away!

bsbl247, good point. I do feel fortunate that it wasn't the chest, head, or face.

After son was hit yesterday, and on the bench being iced, he was sitting next to another pitcher. Junior lefty was on the bump, and there was a hit up the middle that seemed to go right between his legs. Pitcher turned to son and said, "That would have hit you." Big Grin

Congrats to your son and his team, and good luck in the playoffs!
JMoff - Congrats to your son, he has achieved a great deal for a soph.

27"sDad - perhaps your son needs ball repellant? Wink
Rest and Ice work wonders.

HunterMac95 - wow, great start for your freshman.

Good luck to all.

34 had a split week so far, took an 0 for 3 with a walk on Tuesday, part of a 7-4 loss. First hit- less game this year. Hit two shots, right at the left and centerfielders. Other team played real well, game turned a a great play at third, a diving stop to end a bases loaded rally.

Game today was another story. Big win for the team. 34 was 5 for 6 and a HBP. Hit number 3 was his first high school HR, an opposite field line drive to right. Played well defensively, turning a DP on a strong throw to second after they trapped a runner off third on a rundown.

Funny thing was that his hitting was not the best thing for him today...when the game ended the home plater umpire told 34 and his coach that he was the best catcher he had seen all year. He has been smiling all night....
Last edited by 24&34Dad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.