Skip to main content

PitchingFan posted:

I understand.  It was not my kid but it was still frustrating/scarey.  The weird part was this kid could pitch with no problems and was great in practice but fell apart when he had to throw it in a game from first to anyone. 

My son can go on the mound and put it anywhere he wants. It's the strangest thing. He said he's really struggling when he's warming up at short distances and back to the pitcher. He just can't get a feel for his grip or mechanics. 

A major positive for me out of this whole thing is I get to play a lot more catch with him. It has been great for the two of us to just go outside and throw until the sun goes down. No pressure, no coaching, just playing catch.

TerribleBPthrower posted:
JME2023 posted:

My 2023 LHP,1B made JV. Had about 50 freshman tryout and took about 25.

First game is about 10 days away already.

Congrats! Hope he has a great season.

50 freshman?! How big is the school? 

He goes to a private, all boys school that is 1200 students in 9-12th grade. They are one of the best high school baseball programs in our state and a lot of kids go there for the baseball.

Not sure if 50 is a lot for people in other areas. It's one of the bigger turnouts for our area.  We did have two public high schools in a popular part of the city that had 50 and 90 kids each.

The state of Connecticut cancelled ALL winter sports events for the remainder of the season.    Our state was pretty much through conference tournaments and only had States left.  Needless to say, the hockey and basketball parents are not happy.  The decision was either to keep games and not allow spectators or cancel and they cancelled.  

Now for spring sports and especially the most important one, there have been no changes yet.   In our state the earliest Pitchers and Catchers can meet is this coming Saturday.  So that remains on, team selections as usual and then into practices.   I have to think that our season will be truncated somehow.  First games are April 4th.....   We will see.....

My son started at 2b last night because the normal 2B became ill during the day. Flu like symptoms and the kid stayed at school and was in the dugout with the rest of the kids before the game. Not sure why the coach or AD didn't tell him to stay away from the team. The school is a very highly rated prep school that has a team of medical professionals monitoring covid19, so I'm confident they evaluated the kid and he doesn't have corona. At least I hope they evaluated him....

On a side note, we found that the yips also appear during the throw from 2b to 1b. He can play SS with no problems and 3b as well. Thankfully the only throws he had to make were DP 6-4-3 type plays.

My son started at 2b last night because the normal 2B became ill during the day. Flu like symptoms and the kid stayed at school and was in the dugout with the rest of the kids before the game. Not sure why the coach or AD didn't tell him to stay away from the team. The school is a very highly rated prep school that has a team of medical professionals monitoring covid19, so I'm confident they evaluated the kid and he doesn't have corona. At least I hope they evaluated him....

The odds the kid had been exposed to coronavirus are very, very low.  But what administrator or coach wants 15 or 20 kids to come down with even the common cold?  Send the kid home to rest--where he can't cough on his teammates/classmates!  

On a side note, we found that the yips also appear during the throw from 2b to 1b. He can play SS with no problems and 3b as well. Thankfully the only throws he had to make were DP 6-4-3 type plays.

Tbpt. Given this is ongoing. Please google "task specific dystonia".  There is a ncbi summary which will be helpful.  Simplified: in his case, when he performs an act which requires a coordination of muscle activity with a "governor", limiting the velocity of his throw, he is having an involuntary muscle spasm which screws up the sequence.  Then the ball flies randomly. So it should be reinforced to him that this is a medical condition.  Not a case of lack of nerves or reflection of his grit.  In fact you describe numerous heroic plays and hits.  There are no randomized controlled trials on medical therapy for this.  Most physicians will be unfamiliar. I forgot if you've seen a neurologist but I would definitely do that.  I wonder whether a trial of a SSRI in combination with an anticholinergic like dicyclomine would be helpful.  Pretty good side effect profile and safe.  Best wishes.

Chico Escuela posted:

If anyone here has a HS sports season outright cancelled, please post to let everyone know.   Momentum seems to be building for colleges (D3s anyhow) to take this step.  I'm about 70% expecting my son's senior HS baseball season to be shut down in the next few weeks.  (Not recommending that; it's just starting to seem likely.)

I hate to hear about these things. What state are you in? In FL there hasn't been any talk of it that I'm aware of. But most FL schools don't need to travel to other states via bus or plane for tournaments/games.

Chico Escuela posted:

If anyone here has a HS sports season outright cancelled, please post to let everyone know.   Momentum seems to be building for colleges (D3s anyhow) to take this step.  I'm about 70% expecting my son's senior HS baseball season to be shut down in the next few weeks.  (Not recommending that; it's just starting to seem likely.)

People have lost their minds.  Way overreacting.  This will all be gone in a month in warm weather states and probably two months for cold weather states.  You all can remind me in July if I am wrong. 

I’m in NC. Haven’t heard anything about baseball being cancelled, although I do know of several schools that have cancelled overnight sports trips. (For some reason my son’s team didn’t have any overnights scheduled this year.). There has, however, definitely been some discussion about moving my son’s school’s classes to all online—and if that happened, I assume baseball would end. (It’s a private school, which I think makes online education an easier proposition.)

As for whether this all is an overreaction...  I agree it seems that way. But I don’t have any medical training, and a lot of folks who do seem very concerned. In matters of pandemics, I’m inclined to go along with the judgments of the experts (who ain’t perfect, but know more than me). I assume decisions to close schools or cancel sports seasons aren’t being taken lightly. It does seem, though, that we ought to shut down everything nonessential or nothing. The current strategy seems to cause a lot of disruption but without much clear benefit (in my uninformed opinion).

Many town schools in Fairfield County CT have closed down.   Westport, New Cannan, Wilton, Staples no word on baseball.   Darien meeting again tonight.   What are the odds they would go to distance learning and allow spring sports to continue with pitchers and catchers/tryouts and practice....  It is feeling pretty bleak at this point.    Hey if NCAA Basketball can play without fans maybe Darien vs New Cannan can play sans fans......

Last edited by Gunner Mack Jr.

Yesterday my daughter's college announced it was extending spring break by a week (they are on break now), and that students could come to campus on a single day next week to pick up what they need from their dorms and then campus would be closed.  Luckily we live a couple of hours from school via car.  My daughter's roommate is 3+ hours away by plane--we are going to pick up her books and a few other things and mail them to her (otherwise she would have to fly in to do that).  

Son's HS tacked a Monday off onto next week's break.  Said Monday is a teacher workday to learn about moving classes online.  That certainly seems ominous.  So far no HS sporting events have been cancelled and I haven't heard anything about that.  But it's hard for me to picture closing school for academics and then allowing teams into locker rooms, buses, etc. for sports.  (And what about orchestra, drama, model UN, etc.?)

The University where I teach is going to online classes on Monday.  So faculty have the weekend to figure out how to make that happen.  

My freshman son made JV.  His first scrimmage game is Saturday in a neighboring county in Maryland that just announced last night that all high school sports can proceed, but without spectators.  My other son is a Sr and set to play a double header in different MD county the same day.  He is committed to play next year at UMW.  I feel bad for uncommitted HS juniors who have to worry about being seen this year with all this uncertainty looming.

Son's school district suspended athletics for 3 weeks effective today, might have had the last practice of the season yesterday. The governor of WA closed schools in the 3 largest counties for 6 weeks, which doesn't affect us directly but since we're adjacent even if we restart baseball there won't be anybody to play against. He's a freshman who made the JV team after a lot of work over the winter and they were scheduled to start playing games next week. Bummed out doesn't even begin to describe it.

Decision on high school sports still pending in Virginia (VHSL).   VHSL states they do not have the authority to cancel the regular season games, scrimmages and practices, only the state tournament.  It's up to the local school boards on whether to cancel the sport(s).  At this time our local school board is monitoring the situation.   Schools are still open and I assume practices for spring sports are ongoing.   Nothing in the local paper or on the school website.

Spring break extended until 3/31 (school closed) with no sports practices or scrimmages allowed during that time.  I think we, and the boys, are expecting school to be conducted remotely and for the season to be canceled.  College sports cancellations, professional sports cancellations certainly give high school boards and administrators the cover they need to make this decision.  

Time to put together a plan to maximize summer ball:  weight room, throwing program, hitting, lessons (if local facility is open), eating program, etc.  

FoxDad posted:

Decision on high school sports still pending in Virginia (VHSL).   VHSL states they do not have the authority to cancel the regular season games, scrimmages and practices, only the state tournament.  It's up to the local school boards on whether to cancel the sport(s).  At this time our local school board is monitoring the situation.   Schools are still open and I assume practices for spring sports are ongoing.   Nothing in the local paper or on the school website.

I think this statement strikes more fear in me than shortages of toilet paper, water, cleaning supplies, dry food, etc.  Parents should be voicing their concerns to the board if necessary to wake them up.  People, this is a highly contagious virus, with an incubation period of several days to weeks.  You have no idea you are a carrier/infected until you show symptoms, and who knows how many you may have infected by then.  Majority will get better with little complications, but some elderly/sick may perish.  Remember since it's a virus you have it forever, much like other viruses such as chicken pox, Herpes, and HIV.  I love baseball, my son is one of those effected by the cancellations.  As difficult and inconvenient as it may seem, measures must be taken now to prevent a potential uncontrollable spread.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.