Skip to main content

Can you explain how a player knows he is "middle of the pack"?  I was following all my son's freshman friends this year; some P5 players were obviously not at the top, as they were cut after fall ball.  Of the mid-majors, some have played, most have not - and now, of course, will not.  Is it how much/if they have offered baseball money?  Something else?

A parent at my son's school was just diagnosed with COVID-19.  The parent was on campus last week and met with a teacher.  In-person classes had already been suspended (and have been statewide).  Not a cause of anxiety IMO, except that it means the virus is known to be present locally and so things are going to continue to get weirder.  Some elderly relatives are feeling pretty anxious though.

adbono posted:
RJM posted:

Had my son been in this situation I would have encouraged him to think mid major. It’s hard enough to earn opportunities as a middle of the pack freshman prospect and prove yourself. It will be harder next year.

Amyone who is middle of the pack at the level they would normally target might want to think about targeting down a level.

This! 

Agree!

anotherparent posted:

Can you explain how a player knows he is "middle of the pack"?  I was following all my son's freshman friends this year; some P5 players were obviously not at the top, as they were cut after fall ball.  Of the mid-majors, some have played, most have not - and now, of course, will not.  Is it how much/if they have offered baseball money?  Something else?

My opinion; In general, the offer is what the school thinks a player will be worth to them. And that is at the time of the offer.  They are not always right, and circumstances change. Plenty of caveats.

If your son believes, stay the course. Just because a wave broke over the gunwale doesn't mean jumping into the sea is a better option.

Every kid's circumstance will vary. As soon as UIL cancels the spring season, son said he will call pitching coach and turn himself over to their guidance for workouts, throwing program, etc.

anotherparent posted:

In our experience, college coaches at mid major level have not been particularly accurate with predicting how a player will turn out. I would look at your son’s measurables and compare with other committed players. Then take it a step further. Go to some games with your kid.  Look at the speed of the game. Can your player compete, right now?  How does he measure up to the guys that are pitching and hitting at the game you are watching?  What does your son think about how he compares?  Would he be excited to have the opportunity to compete in the game you are watching?  How close does HE think he is?  How fast is he right now as a Jr/Sr?  How athletic is he?  Is he fully grown?  Look at the best players in the conference he wants to compete in. And, has he played against the best pitchers in the country at his age level?  How did he do?  There are many things to think about. 

baseballhs posted:

We are until April 6th.  Really hope we are able to finish the season.

It’s over in Texas. Sad to say. They won’t be going back to school, either. 

Was hoping to see you guys in Round Rock. Losing in state finals hurt last year, but there was next year to look forward to. The core of our team were juniors. We are better team this year. 

Go44dad posted:
baseballhs posted:

We are until April 6th.  Really hope we are able to finish the season.

It’s over in Texas. Sad to say. They won’t be going back to school, either. 

Was hoping to see you guys in Round Rock. Losing in state finals hurt last year, but there was next year to look forward to. The core of our team were juniors. We are better team this year. 

Yeah, I fear that it is over.  Ranked #2 in 5a.  As a soph, he'll have a couple more shots, but realistically, this was the best.  Went through it with older son being 6 inches away from RR in sophomore year, and never getting that close again.  Hate this for all the boys.

Fitting that everything is cancelled on the first day of tryouts. KInd of sucks. 57Special jr. has worked hard this winter, and couldn't wait to strut his stuff for new coach. I have my doubts that the season will ever get started. Maybe it's better this way, rather than having a season interrupted like the folks down south. Will be awful for the seniors, though. 

DBAT-DFW posted:
57special posted:
JSKelley posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

If anyone here has a HS sports season outright cancelled, please post to let everyone know.   Momentum seems to be building for colleges (D3s anyhow) to take this step.  I'm about 70% expecting my son's senior HS baseball season to be shut down in the next few weeks.  (Not recommending that; it's just starting to seem likely.)

People have lost their minds.  Way overreacting.  This will all be gone in a month in warm weather states and probably two months for cold weather states.  You all can remind me in July if I am wrong. 

And what is your training and/or education to back up such an opinion?

Ironic that you are questioning the "minds" of medical and public health professionals. My wife is one of the former, is already overworked, and is working in chaotic conditions. Pray that you or your family don't have to be seen by her in the near future. Testing is near nonexistent, training is haphazard, protocols sporadically executed, and Negative pressure rooms and respirator time getting very hard to find.

Thousands are likely to die. Just hope it's not tens of thousands. With the lack of testing, we don't have a clear idea how many have died already. 

Hey, but if you get one more game in, that's all that matters, right?

Oh I don’t know, maybe because of HISTORY.  This situation isn’t any different than Swine Flu (H1N1), Severe Cute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), Bird Flu (H5N1, Anthrax, and on and on.  You know what all those have in common?  Not canceling NCAA basketball, baseball, softball, NBA, MLB, NHL, and on and on.  I mean, it’s a virus, not an incurable disease.  If you’re compromised already (old, young, poor health) by all means skip the ball game, or the cruise, or the flight....otherwise we are all fairly safe.  I’ve had the flu before.  I’ll probably get it again.  And each time will be a different strain...because it actually has to be.  You can’t get the same strain twice.  So thanks for playing into the mass hysteria.  I bet you have $1000 worth or toilet paper at home right now too.  

This post has not aged well.

What part about July are you having a hard time understanding?  After this panic is all over you can apologize to me.  I stand by my original post fully.  If you want to overreact it doesn’t matter to me, but don’t expect me to listen to all this chicken little doomsday nonsense.  It’s the flu.  Happens every year.  And just like any other flu, some people may die from it.  It’s already passed in China so much so that they have closed ALL of their COVID-19 dedicated hospitals.  Come on man.  

DBAT-DFW posted:

What part about July are you having a hard time understanding?  After this panic is all over you can apologize to me.  I stand by my original post fully.  If you want to overreact it doesn’t matter to me, but don’t expect me to listen to all this chicken little doomsday nonsense.  It’s the flu.  Happens every year.  And just like any other flu, some people may die from it.  It’s already passed in China so much so that they have closed ALL of their COVID-19 dedicated hospitals.  Come on man.  

The problem is that it's hard to figure out if we overreacted but it would be easy to see if we have under reacted half a year or a year down the road.   

Believe me, I keep asking myself how the scenario would have played out if the government treated this just like a flu (with just more warnings about washing hands and being more careful than normal). 

But then, I look at what happened in Italy.  It's not the total number, but it's the total number over a short period of time that is inundating them.  Would approaching it this way result in more people treating their illness like a flu (i.e. just staying at home and letting it pass) as opposed to rushing to the hospital?  Is this what happened in Italy? 

Hearing first hand stories from my nurse friends about people in hospital for totally different reasons (i.e. digestive or intestinal issues) are demanding to be tested (unnecessarily) for covid bec they are in the hospital already and the government officials say that whoever wants a test can get one makes me wonder more if this is the case.

But if the doctors in Italy are having to make triage decision and letting certain people die, then the people in the hospitals really needed to be in the hospital to begin with...  So I go around and around in circles and come back to my first sentence above.

Last edited by atlnon

It's over in China because they shut their entire country down, and enforced it.  Are you quarantining yourself, and telling everyone else to do so?  Because if not, then it's not going to go away for us the way it went away for China.  We will be more like Italy, where they tried to ask people to distance but no-one paid attention.  That's the whole point.

We can't win with you; if we do "overreact" and manage to shut down sufficiently and it is over in July, will that have proven your point? 

DBAT-DFW posted:

If it's just like the flu, how many flu dedicated hospitals did they have?  Yeah, zero.  I mean this in the nicest possible way but you sir are being a dumbass.

Since China is your benchmark let's use the numbers from China.  There are two factors in play here that are very much intertwined.  How infectious the virus is and how deadly the virus is, you can compare both to the flu.  The R0 for Novel Corona is roughly 2.3, where flu is 1.3.  This means for every infected person they infect, on average, about 2 other people where the flu they infect about 1 other person.  Basically the virus spreads twice as fast as flu.

Flu has a hospitalization rate of less than 10%, Covid-19 is trending close to 20%.  Flu death rate is about .1% and Covid-19 is about 2.3%

So, it spreads twice as fast and is an order of magnitude more deadly with a significant number more severe cases needing hospital treatment vs flu.  All of that is a recipe for overwhelming the healthcare system which leads to a triage scenario.  Medical teams basically deciding who to treat with the available resources and who to let die.  If you don't think that happened in China and is currently happening in Italy you are wrong.

So how is China on the back side of this now?  They are a totalitarian Communist country and they absolutely locked down whole areas of the country, millions of people, under penalty of arrest or death.  

We don't do that in the free world so we are dependent upon our neighbors not being dumbasses. If this is behind us in July it will be in spite of people like you, not because Covid-19 is a case of the sniffles as you want to believe.  Social distancing and self quarantine are needed to slow down the spread so that more people don't need treatment at the same time than we have the capacity to treat.  Look online at the people speaking out from Italy via social media and they will absolutely tell you that they wished they had taken it more seriously.

atlnon posted:
DBAT-DFW posted:
Eokerholm posted:

Looks like a good thing the U.S. isn’t Italy then.  Apples to oranges if you ask me.

Good point.  We do have completely different genes and anatomy than the Italians.

You know what we do have?  A completely different median age and health care system...but by all means, please ignore that data to suit your agenda.

DBAT-DFW posted:

You know what we do have?  A completely different median age and health care system...but by all means, please ignore that data to suit your agenda.

What would my agenda be?  I'm just trying hard to understand what's happening.  Like I told you, I've gone through all these questions myself (and I'm still asking questions).  I would love it (thrilled actually) if you can help me see and realize that this virus is really not that serious.

Re Italy, so do they not get the seasonal flu?  Since we are comparing it to the seasonal flu, why would they not be affected this seriously with the seasonal flu?

DBAT-DFW posted:
atlnon posted:
DBAT-DFW posted:
Eokerholm posted:

Looks like a good thing the U.S. isn’t Italy then.  Apples to oranges if you ask me.

Good point.  We do have completely different genes and anatomy than the Italians.

Pssst, hey know it all.....you just replied to a healthcare analyst lecturing him on the capability of various healthcare systems😂😂😂

22and25 posted:
DBAT-DFW posted:
atlnon posted:
DBAT-DFW posted:
Eokerholm posted:

Pssst, hey know it all.....you just replied to a healthcare analyst lecturing him on the capability of various healthcare systems😂😂😂

and just to clarify, in case you were wondering, or curious, I have 3 Master's Degrees in the field and over 25 years experience in the field of healthcare, business intelligence, and analytics.... so I kinda know what I'm talking about. But you make your apple sauce or orange juice with your apples and oranges and have a nice day.

Please don't forget to wash your hands before you leave the house.

On the Italy point:

Italy has roughly 60 million people total. Their largest age bracket is 45 to 55. They may have an older average age, due more to low birth rates than a huge number of older citizens, they have roughly 13 million people over 65. The US has roughly 49 million people over 65.  We have 70 plus million baby boomers, that is more people 55 and older in the US than the entire population of Italy. It could be that our death rate ends up higher both by number and percentages than Italy based on the number of Americans in this vulnerable age bracket if we don't do a much better job of slowing infection rates.

As for Italy's healthcare, they rank 3rd in the world in number of critical care beds per capita behind only Germany and the US. To assume our superior healthcare capacity is enough to treat 4 times the vulnerbale population is a stretch.

Not to mention our world leading rate of comorbidites such as diabetes and heart disease that impact the death rate from Covid-19 dramatically.

Last edited by 22and25
Eokerholm posted:
22and25 posted:
DBAT-DFW posted:
atlnon posted:
DBAT-DFW posted:
Eokerholm posted:

and just to clarify, in case you were wondering, or curious, I have 3 Master's Degrees in the field and over 25 years experience in the field of healthcare, business intelligence, and analytics.... so I kinda know what I'm talking about. But you make your apple sauce or orange juice with your apples and oranges and have a nice day.

I never said don’t take normal flu precautions.  I just think it’s completely ridiculous, even by your numbers, that the different between normal life (.1%) and hiding locked inside your home (2%) for months on end (basically however long the flu season is) is worth it.  Crazy. 

DBAT-DFW posted:

I never said don’t take normal flu precautions.  I just think it’s completely ridiculous, even by your numbers, that the different between normal life (.1%) and hiding locked inside your home (2%) for months on end (basically however long the flu season is) is worth it.  Crazy. 

2 - 0.1 = 1.9%.  Multiply that by your local population.  Then count the ventilators in your local hospital (and the doctors and nurses).  It's as simple as that.

Population of 5000 people:  it's a difference between 5 and 100 people.

Last edited by anotherparent

It isn't months on end if people would actually and effectively quarantine. This virus does not have any legs and can't transport itself. Anyone can be a vector. Anyone you come in contact with can be a vector. 

Stay home 2 weeks and it shuts itself down.  It has nowhere to go, because it can't get there on it's own. , We're at the tail end of typical flu season. Temperatures and daily Sun are on the rise with Spring weather,  But vector movement will lengthen the pandemic. 

But you and the anit-vaxxers can disagree with science and data all you want, go ahead - keeping going out, get infected, give this thing legs, and draw this out longer than it needs to be.  We'll ALL wait.

Really cool viral simulator. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/?fbclid=IwAR24LK8XDCbz49Cb4RFNVcRAQtUoYdZCMeb1M0_0PTK2zOZZa65Hm3fXZdE

This could have been under control in weeks with efficient quarantines.

DBAT-DFW posted:
Eokerholm posted:
22and25 posted:
DBAT-DFW posted:
atlnon posted:
DBAT-DFW posted:
Eokerholm posted:

That is a factor of 20....60,000 people died of flu in the US last year.  20×60,000 is 1.2 million deaths.  I mean damn, let's not all be inconvenienced like the Chinese you used as an example just to keep an extra million plus of our fellow Americans alive🙄

Last edited by 22and25
DBAT-DFW posted:

I just think it’s completely ridiculous, even by your numbers, that the different between normal life (.1%) and hiding locked inside your home (2%) for months on end (basically however long the flu season is) is worth it.

I'm speechless.  Either you don't really value 1 million lives at all or you don't know how to do simple math.  And the calculation of 1 million additional death is just taking into account the 1% mortality rate.  It doesn't take into consideration the increased R0 rate (meaning more people will be infected compared to the flu) and the increased collateral damage with a large volume of people going to the hospital at once (meaning people will die that would have otherwise lived bec of the overcapacity of our healthcare system).  You can begin to imagine how much worse it can be.

Does anyone know what the Texas UIL rule is for practicing with your showcase team while the season is technically not canceled yet? Saw on Twitter that one of the local organizations held a practice today for some of their high school players. We have a friend in that organization so want to make sure he doesn’t face any issues if somehow the high school resumes at some point.

ARCEKU21 posted:

Does anyone know what the Texas UIL rule is for practicing with your showcase team while the season is technically not canceled yet? Saw on Twitter that one of the local organizations held a practice today for some of their high school players. We have a friend in that organization so want to make sure he doesn’t face any issues if somehow the high school resumes at some point.

The Texas HS season isn’t going to resume so I wouldn’t worry about it. But to answer your question the UIL rule states that HS players are not allowed to practice with their Summer team until their HS team has completed their season. 

I am going hang on real hard to hope for a baseball season for my kid. This is not the flu. There is no approved therapeutic, vaccine, just a vent and meds if you struggle to breathe until a month from now when we run out of vents. History will judge the decisions our local and fed govt made. I sincerely hope it was an exaggeration, but the models and expert opinion leads me to think this may be too little to late. 

Last edited by 2022NYC
adbono posted:
ARCEKU21 posted:

The Texas HS season isn’t going to resume so I wouldn’t worry about it. But to answer your question the UIL rule states that HS players are not allowed to practice with their Summer team until their HS team has completed their season. 

I tend to agree, but the UIL keeps giving people that last bit of hope when they release a statement saying that they intend to finish the state basketball championships and spring sports at some point.

ARCEKU21 posted:

Looks like the governor of Florida has said parents have the option of having their child repeat this grade year. Will be interesting to see how they will handle athletics with this option.

Why in the Hell? 60 days of instruction left.....distance learning could easily take care of those as well as snow/weather days to eat a week off.

That's just plain stupid. Not enough portables to take on the class load. Pollutes the recruiting pool as well for coming years....

I'm sure the Helicopter parents are rejoicing!

Last edited by Eokerholm

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.