Skip to main content

No one wants to burst anyone's bubble here, but I think hearing from parents who have been through the process is something to listen to and take advice from.
As far as LSU, I agree with most who have given advice regarding their recruiting. Here is another one. My son never returned any of the questionaires from them. Both coaches saw him play in June and they called on a weekly basis starting on July 1. We set up an official visit, but along with that did our homework and decided that this would not be a good fit for him, some for reasons stated in these posts. My son decided not to waste one of their alloted visits, and they appreciated his honesty. Some can't believe he turned the visit down, it just was not right for my son. We know of two players they took from our county, I doubt whether those players will see any real playing time for awhile, my son wanted to go where he would be an impact player starting in his freshman year. The coaches are some of the finest in the country, the program is excellent, no one can take that away from them. It just didn't sends screams out of our mouths, because you have to be realistic.
Schools send out hundreds of questionaires. It is a preliminary screening, IMHO the word recruited means being pursued after July 1. Be realistic in your expectations, be excited for your son, but don't go overboard. We kept it all low key and mom just filed all of the letters so that someday he could look back on this time and show his kids or grandkids.
What worked for the decision was that my son established a very nice relationship (with the school he ended up signing), early in his Junior year. This was done after he researched his top choices, a very necessary process for you to do. The academic program should be scutinized as well as the baseball program. Those letters are great to get, it does improve the players desire to do better and is most flattering. Reality is the day you get the offer (I have said this before).
You can take all posts for what they are worth, but I think a lot is said here by those of us that have been through it. There are a lot of really good players out there, unfortunetly there are more than top D1 schools have a spot for, so be realistic in where your son stands in his class before you think a letter means you will get a call, visit, offer. Every once in a while you hear of a story of a kid who was unknown and got a great offer. However with more and more coaches relying on the scouting services, this doesn't happen too often.
Baseball50]s -

It was our experience that none of the D1 schools that actively recruited our son used a recruiting service, all but one school saw him in person play, the other school contacted us thru a Regional Scout.

Recruiting services have not yet become a proven way to be recruited (based on many reports here and interviews with coaches (also posted on this site) and I would hate to see a new poster think they are the best way to be recuited and spend all the money the cost when there are better ways.

"JustMom"

I guess LSU having a successful program puts a bulls-eye on their back - as many seem to be taking shots at it

- it seems it must be a "good fit" for some players -
the proof? their roster is full of fresh, soph, jr, & srs from all over the south and a canadian & kaliforian -
some freshman and sophs got significant playing time last yr and I see they are preseason top 10 -

I can see why some might not consider it a good fit but where's the sense in bad-rapping someone else who does -

much has been made of the view that a player should go where he can have an impact as a freshman - I couldn't dissagree more, some are looking for a challenge to rise to Cool

lefties? - - - they just aint right!
quote:
Originally posted by Bee:

much has been made of the view that a player should go where he can have an impact as a freshman - I couldn't dissagree more, some are looking for a challenge to rise to Cool

Bee,

Agree with FNG (and you). That is a fantastic comment IMO. You wont hear that too much - but for some fellas - it is very true.

It would make a great topic IMO.
clap
FNG, I agree with Bee's statement about kids looking for a challenge. Any player that is interested in a tough D1 school like LSU and is thinking about making an impact as a Freshman, is setting himself up for disappointment.

Along with many on this site, I have always encouraged a player to check out who is ahead of him at the college he likes. If you are a middle infielder and there are two sophs ahead of you who had good years, the chances are not very good that you will get much playing time as a Frosh.
Agree with PGStaff. Letters son has received from LSU specifically mention seeing him pitch at PerfectGame events. I'd watch out for any coach that says, "they do not recruit players they have not seen in their camp" ... unless they are truly a small school with no recruiting travel budget, this is a sales pitch for camp $$'s.
FNG - I saw several of those types of letters last year (son is 04). Funny how he got recruited by those same schools that said they wouldn't if he didn't attend their camp. And he didn't attend their camp.

Having said that, there are some college camps that are well worth it. Those are the ones who invite other colleges in to participate and help coach/run the camp (Stanford camp is one example). But I'd pick one but no more than two of those.

As for the PG comment - I cannot tell you how helpful attending PG events were to our son. That was the single best thing he did. It led to all sorts of other things that will be unforgettable for a lifetime. And I can tell you also that when the school that eventually signed our son came into our living room, the FIRST thing they said was about how well he performed at a PG event.

Last edited {1}
Get your knickers unbunched, PG. Wink

I read that as 'they wouldn't use only a showcase performance to recruit'....hence the "one time performance" mention. That does not suggest that they don't use showcases to identify guys for more attention.

With the FL & AZ October Wood Bat tournaments, however, I would be willing to bet the majority of quality players have played in a PG event, wherever they might be playing now.

---------------------------------
From 'Nice Guys Finish Last' by Leo Durocher:

Baseball lives at the center of a never-flagging whirl of irreconcilable opinions.
FNG,

I apologize for the snappy remark.

I only meant to say that I know many schools have offered scholarships based on one showcase performance, including LSU.

Orlando, I should add, LSU first got interested in Justin Meier at (you guessed it). We had many discussions with LSU recruiters about that outstanding pitcher.

Not thin skinned at all, just always interested in getting to the truth.

Best of luck to your son FNG.
Not rushing to anyones defense, as I didn't see that FNG mentioned LSU specifically, but my son attended a top 10 in-state ACC school's camp as a freshman and the recruiting coordinator repeated the same thing, "We only recruit from our camp."

I have since seen him at every showcase and a bunch of tournaments we have been to, still working there. Maybe he was following up on his campers, or looking for new players to invite to camp. Wink

Geaux Cajuns!!
Last edited {1}
Is it true that many assistant coaches at the the D1 level have their salaries supplemented with camp profits? I'm sure all of this income is above board, and within the law. But it has to make you think that letters out of the blue from significant D1 schools may be a "shot in the dark" recruiting effort, but, more likely a way to get max numbers into the camp and is endorsed and supported by the head coach as a way to keep the staff happy and costs down. .
Last edited {1}
Thanks PG for the clarification. I was not talking about recruiting services I said scouting services and I should have just said PG or Team One, etc.
PG is correct, we got lots of exposure from them and that is where LSU saw my son and so did 20 other schools who were there. I am not saying that you HAVE to attend a showcase or wood bat, playing on a great summer team helps also. But you can sure bet lots of exposure comes from attending.
Please note, my son's decision not to attend LSU was because it was NOT the right fit. Isn't that what it is all about? We would never let our son choose a school because the baseball program (even football) WAS the main reason for attending, there are lots of other factors to consider. Every player, every family has there own personal reasons and in my son's case being a sat/sun starter instead of a tues/wed starter was important to him. I don't believe in this talk "it's sets up for failure" to want to be an impact player from the beginning. If you go to a school, eg. LSU you better know from the very beginning there is no such word as failure. Players are from the best in the country in the top D1 schools so you better think about the big/little fish theory before you decide whether you want to play or sit. If you don't believe me or anyone else go to the site on PG for biggest NLI list and then compare that with top 200 in the country.
It is wonderful to get a letter from any school. Just be realistic.
I am not out to throw the ice water on, please, this is an exciting time, just put all in perspective. Because when the phone call doesn't come, the visit, the offer, then you have set yourself up for failure.
I know of a situation where the parents were so disappointed in no offer, the kid became a mess, it does happen.
Just to clearify, PG is not a recruiting service despite having helped many players go on to college programs.

We work very closely with most all DI schools. The last thing we would do is downplay the importance of College Camps. They can be valuable both as a learning experience and possibly even from a recruiting stand point.

The player is showing interest in the program when he attends the college camp. This helps the college coaches decision a bit.

Now being interested in the truth lets look at the facts.

For the most part, most DI schools have rosters full of scholarship players who never attended their camps.

Is one to believe that the DI coach that sees his potential #1 pitcher at a showcase or tournament will not recruit him because he failed to attend the schools camp?

Are we suppose to believe that those top players who make 5 official visits have attended all 5 of those schools camps?

If a college had no scholarship money left for next year would they cancel their camp?

I could go on, but somewhere along the line common sense should kick in.

That said, I am a strong supporter of several college camps. Some are great experiences for young players and potential college players. But next time one of them tells you they have no interest in your son unless he attends their camp you should know this... They don't really think your son is a top caliber prospect because the top guys don't have to attend any camp tp get extreme interest. Or perhaps they think you won't attend without a little incentive. In most cases it's not the same for everyone, sometimes they really mean what they're telling you in your specific case.

Bottom line... Many college camps are great for the player. It can be a very positive experience. But if they find a better player some place else, they're going to recruit him.
Things are not always as they appear in the complex world of a very simple process called RECRUITING. The recruiting process is a highly emotional experience for the parent, hard work for the player, a business for the colleges, and a source of revenue for many others. Everyone in the loop is fully aware of where everyone else stands, with the exception of you, the emotional involved parent. Only after you have completed the process, read the showcase evaluations, and watched a few college games, does everything start to really come into focus.
Go back and review the process, look at your receipts, the college recruiting letters, the NLI, read your diary, count your grey hairs, count your change, and count your blessings. Pat yourself on the back because he made it! Smile
Fungo

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
My son is only a soph. this year but I took him to a advanced camp put on by the Longhorns, the information we received from the coaches was great. With select ball they really harped on summer ball and the recruitment process. They want you to send a roster and a schedule of your HS games, but they will mostly scan the large select tourny's in the summer. My son is 6' 160 and threw the BB 84mph from short to first and got some attention but we are a ways away.
As someone posted above, college camps are definitely to allow staffs to make money. Every school takes a different approach after that starting point.

Some are very recreational, others quite intense. The Stanford camp was interesting to me. My son received a letter from them and they said that if he is interested in Stanford he must come to the camp. They went on to state that they don't have the ability to travel etc. to see all the recruits they'd like. Frankly, I didn't truly believe that. If it's someone they want, they'll go see 'em. the Stanford staff used to work the Cal Poly camp until CP recently changed head coaches. I've seen the Stanford coaches at the Area Code games and other events. So do you have to go to a school's camp, NO. But if you want to guarantee they'll see you, YES. Otherwise your left to hope they see you elsewhere.

Getting seen is critical. Although my son has gotten some contact from several schools from seeing a tape, interest has typically come only from those who have actually seen him play and that has usually been at a camp. From the Stanford camp he has been contacted by 6 schools that were there, although, none were Stanford laugh
Fungo,
We are thankful and patting our son on the back, good post.
I am going to refer to a suggestion I posted a year ago, a must read "Official Visit". Puts lots in perspective to a parent who is beginning the process, going thru the process.
My posts regarding LSU were not meant to be derogatory in any way, I was using them as an example of the excitement of getting a letter from a school from that calibar. My point was advice to parents to keep the process in perspective and recognize your son's talent, capabilities and limitations from an outsider looking in. Once that is achieved, the process becomes so much easier and less stressful. Discuss early on where it is that your SON wants to go, not where you think he should go. If it is his desire to play in one of the bigger D1 schools, make a plan (which may be attending the camp), research, anything and everything from baseball, academics, player graduation, coaching staff,injuries, roster size, living arrangements, meals, training, study hall, etc.
We found that after doing that some of those letters, camp invitations meant nothing.
HeyBatter: My son's an '05 and just got the camp invite to Stanford. He also got a questionnaire and HS Transcript info. form in a separate mailing.
Is this the same as you got?
Is it live or is it Memorex?

We tell our son that the letters are cool, but the truthkeeper is who calls on July 1, or shall we say who offers an NLI. (And what the scholarship offer is, if anything).
We did high five him after he got the Stanford letter and questionnaire. Just because it was fun and he did not have that school in his collection yet. He also checks all the letters to see if the coaches really sign them.

Son e-mailed and no response and knowing him, he will call and call until someone answers. He has been following up all questionnaires with periodic phone calls and e-mail updates to coaches about schedules and such. It has been good, because he has got to know some of the coaches a little by calling them. Plus, this early who knows what will transpire? This and a ton of research about the schools' programs and educational facilities helps.
As long as his grades are good and he works hard and has a good season. Who knows...
lhpmom- if I remember correctly my son received an introductory letter from Stanford. He wrote back and then I think got a second letter with questionnaire, grade and transcript request. Sent that all back.

I think he then got a few other form letters and a camp invite. this was all back when he was a sophomore. He had other committments and didn't go to the camp after his soph year, but did send them a letter explaining why. Around December of his junior year he got a letter and camp invite and sent it in immediately. Got a few other letters until the summer camp and attended this summer '03.

Overall I think the camp is a must. The exposure you get to dozens of colleges is amazing and my son has been seriously recruited by several schools that saw him there and I believe (hope and pray) will be ending up at one of those schools. He's waiting to hear from the admissions office.

Best advice I could give, don't think of this as simply the Stanford camp. If Stanford wants you, they'll find you IMO. I think they might take 1 or 2 kids from the camp (if any) and they are typically high profile kids that were known in any event. I didn't see the camp as being about Stanford. It just happens to be held there.
Last edited {1}
HeyBatter: Thanks for the info. I know son would love to attend camp.
The only thing is that he is playing on a travel team that doesn't let the players go to a showcase or camp if it conflicts with game schedules. That makes sense. He's already committed with said team and they do an excellent job of getting their players exposure. So is this camp more of an exposure camp for several schools? Who all attended the one your son went to?
He would mainly be interested in being seen by Stanford, as he was seen by some excellent ACC, SEC, Big East, Big 12, MVC, Col. and IVY League Conf. Schools this past summer that appear to be interested in him and have been sending out questionnaires and mailing follow-up letters and e-mails. It's too soon to tell where he'll end up.
He's been researching schools that offer a good balance between baseball and academics.
He'd love to attend all camps, but time and $ won't permit.

Thankx for giving us information and your own experiences. We are very grateful to HSBBWEB posters for their views and experience and wisdom. We have learned a lot from this site and continue to learn more.
Last edited {1}
I have a cute story about a kid receiving a letter from a top baseball college. My son was a Junior, and had just started getting a few letters in the mail from schools and we were quite pleased. One day a letter arrived for "Billy McMillon" and since my son's name is Brett McMillan, he was a little put off with the school. I came home that night and he showed me the letter (form letter) and I started laughing, and he asked why? I told him that Billy McMillon is an outfielder who is black, 31 years old, 5'11" and went to college at Clemson and signed in 1993. Brett still did not laugh,but I thought it was funny, Smile and he received at least 6 letters from that school before he graduated.
Last edited {1}
Take in to the fact that if your child does attend the camp the likelyhood of him applying is better then 50%. .That's added revenue for the school.
Some schools admiision application fees are 60 or 75 dollars each.
20,000 applicants for 1200 spots... Hmmm do the math.
Even though the perentage is small it still adds exposure to the school which generates revenue for the school.
lhpmom- more about the stanford camp-

my memory of who was there included (officially working the camp and unofficially in the stands): all the Ivies except Penn(who may have been there), William & Mary, all the services academies, Centenary, Kansas, Hawaii, UC Davis, several MLB scouts, Saddleback JC (from SoCal). I know there were others, the names just escape me.

If your son's interest is only Stanford, they have in the past held camps with just their own staff, in addition to this all-star camp. Check their website.

If there was a "downside" to this allstar camp, there are about 300 kids there and you get seen in lots of "bits and pieces". Coaches are assigned to run different teams. Also, obviously, every coach is different and each camper will therefore have a different experience.

In any event, chances are a particular coach may never see your son play if his team's schedule conflicts with your son's team's schedule. There are other coaches that just work a certain skill station. they might see you hit in the cage, for example, and nothing else.

But, ovverall you're likely to get the opportunity to at least meet just about any coach there, connect a name with a face etc.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, about 6 different schools have contacted my son from that camp and I am hoping he'll soon be "officially" committing to one of those schools, he's just awaiting word from their admission's office.

bottom line- with every situation there is good and bad, but this camp IMO is definitely worth it and as I mentioned in an earlier post, I really only saw it as the "Stanford" camp, 'cause it's at Stanford. there are so many, many schools represented that it really is a showcase and I think the Stanford staff does an amazing job in organizing and running this and it gives an incredible opportunity for alot of exposure. I think it was very reasonably priced and, simply, absolutely worth going to. It taught me and my son much about the good and the bad of competing and also attending school at the college level.

Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.