Skip to main content

Well, after making it through the "grind" successfully this fall, and a nice break over the holiday...freshman rhp went back to school today! Pitchers report at 3:00 p.m.! First pitch Feb. 15th! It was nice having him home, but I'm ready for some baseball! #Omaha

"...the cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder, I'm an over-forty victim of fate..."

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by ClevelandDad:
Start posting stories now and throughout the season.

I can feel baseball season just around the corner Smile

And that sure does feel good! I am looking forward to heading down to the University of Tampa and watching the opening games!

I feel as though this has been a long winter already!
quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
quote:

And that sure does feel good! I am looking forward to heading down to the University of Tampa and watching the opening games!

Hold it now - lets not get carried away - we all know there is no such thing as winter in Florida

Now, if you would like to discuss what the winter is like in Cleveland...

Seriously, its been pretty mild this year and that is ok with me Smile
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by floridafan:
quote:

Hold it now - lets not get carried away - we all know there is no such thing as winter in Florida

Now, if you would like to discuss what the winter is like in Cleveland...

Seriously, its been pretty mild this year and that is ok with me Smile

ClevelandDad, I'm worried we will have a harsh "late" winter...I hate losing games on the schedule due to weather cancellations! Good thing we are playing our first week of games in February indoors at Minute Maid Park!
Last edited by HRKB
Our team in Mississippi is traveling South to play some early games in Abilene, TX to hopefully find warmer weather. I guess no one told coach that Abilene, TX can be like the Artic tundra in the wintertime as there's nothing to stop those Blue Northers from hitting in full power. Oh well, at least it's only a six hour drive for me to get there.
Son went back last Sunday. Pitchers and catchers started workouts on Monday. Classes start a week from today. He's a position player, but wanted to get back and work with the coaches as early as he could. He's been doing his conditioning with them and joined them in a 6 mile run earlier today.

They start on 1-Feb and I'm hoping to make the game if I can get off work to get there. Big project at work starts the same day Frown

According to my son, coaches have said they're planning on him playing in every game. I'm hoping that's what happens. Even though he red shirted last year (long story which I'll share at some point), they've been treating him as a starter all along. He's been putting in extra work, so hopefully he's finally going to see some of the results of it...
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
Our team in Mississippi is traveling South to play some early games in Abilene, TX to hopefully find warmer weather. I guess no one told coach that Abilene, TX can be like the Artic tundra in the wintertime as there's nothing to stop those Blue Northers from hitting in full power. Oh well, at least it's only a six hour drive for me to get there.

Three Bagger, Your son doesn't play for Bellarmine does he? My son plays for Tarleton State and will play Bellarmine in Abilene in a March 3rd tournament. You never know what weather will be like in early spring in Abilene.
My son's freshman season starts the weekend of February 1st & 2nd. He's a pitcher without a definite role, so I'm not sure how I am going to handle things. I'm sure I'm going to be watching a lot of games where I don't get to see him play. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to be missing some games that he does play. Fortunately, home field is only 2 hours away, so it's not that big of a deal to get there.

My biggest dilema is that on February 2nd, his team has a double header AND it's my younger son's HS wrestling qualifier for states. I'm thinking my wife and I will split duties. I really hate to miss either. It wouldn't be as big a deal if it wasn't opening weekend for baseball - or if it wasn't state qualifying weekend for wrestling. Being both makes it pretty hard. Man, I'm just not sure what to do. Probably go to wrestling, there will be plenty more baseball to be played during the year, but it is killing me.
quote:
I have not decided to drive that 8+ hour to watch 4 games in which he only pitches 1 of them.

My wife says that I will cave in as late as the day before and drive it!

Any one want in on this bet? lol

My freshman RHP has games in North Carolina (3) on 2-9,10th that are 7 hour drive then playing in Myrtle beach 2-21 through 2-24. Myrtle is only an 11 hour drive. They also go to Florida after Myrtle but that week doesn't work for me.

I am debating on which drives I make, who wants in on this bet.

Worst case I get to watch him throw a bullpen and get a little golfing in. At least rooms are cheap in Myrtle Beach in Feb.
quote:
Originally posted by bballman:
My son's freshman season starts the weekend of February 1st & 2nd. He's a pitcher without a definite role, so I'm not sure how I am going to handle things. I'm sure I'm going to be watching a lot of games where I don't get to see him play. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to be missing some games that he does play. Fortunately, home field is only 2 hours away, so it's not that big of a deal to get there.

My biggest dilema is that on February 2nd, his team has a double header AND it's my younger son's HS wrestling qualifier for states. I'm thinking my wife and I will split duties. I really hate to miss either. It wouldn't be as big a deal if it wasn't opening weekend for baseball - or if it wasn't state qualifying weekend for wrestling. Being both makes it pretty hard. Man, I'm just not sure what to do. Probably go to wrestling, there will be plenty more baseball to be played during the year, but it is killing me.

bballman, starting Feb 1 I assume your son is D2 like mine. Is he playing in Georgia or SC. My son is at Newberry and I was wondering if they will cross paths. Good luck to him wherever he is.
quote:
Originally posted by fillsfan:
quote:

bballman, starting Feb 1 I assume your son is D2 like mine. Is he playing in Georgia or SC. My son is at Newberry and I was wondering if they will cross paths. Good luck to him wherever he is.

fillsfan - you probably are already aware but your son and Coach May's son will certainly cross paths. Small world here at the hsbbweb.
Last year I drove 18 hours (one way)to see my freshman son's team play in Florida. He pitched 1 inning against Purdue and it was sooooo worth it. To see his first college appearance on the mound will be something I will never forget. Now I need to play this years trips. I put over 40,000 miles on my car last year...75% or more had to be baseball trips.
quote:
Originally posted by Three Bagger:
HRKB,

No my son plays for Delta State. It's ironic, my son was heavily recruited by Tarleton State and very seriously considered going there as they made him the best offer of any DII's that offered. I would like to hear how it is playing for them. You can PM me if you wish.

Three Bagger,

My son absolutely LOVES playing for Tarleton and Coach Conger! They play a tough schedule (SoS was 4th in nation last year) and had 30 wins last year with a very young team. Send me a pm if you want to know specifics, ie. (facilities, expectations, etc).
quote:
quote:

Yep, D2 Peachbelt Conference - Columbus State University. We don't play Newberry. Maybe in the Southeast Regional - hoping we both get there!!!
quote:
quote:
quote:

fillsfan - you probably are already aware but your son and Coach May's son will certainly cross paths. Small world here at the hsbbweb.

Yes I do CD. They play them home and home on Wednesdays I think. To bad I won't be able to make those games. Nine hours is too long a drive after work.
quote:

Fundamentally, I have the same problem. If my son ends up a midweek starter, at least I know where to be and when as I also have a two hour drive to home games. If he ends up a reliever, I don't know what I'm going to do.

His sister is the #1 pitcher on her HS softball team and I need to ensure she gets equal time and make up the time I spent at his games the last few years. I've committed as the score keeper for all of her's.

In AZ the scheduling God's ensure HS varsity BB is playing the same team as HS varsity SB at the same time, but at the opposite sites, which basically sucks if you have a child playing both sports.

With one in college it creates a whole new dynamic. It might be time for one of them fancy 4G phones...
Last edited by JMoff
Son just text'd us. First pitch is Feb.10. He's a position player (1B) at a DII JUCO (PHCC - Martinsville, VA). We won't make many of the games - he's a 5 hour drive away, but we'll try to get down at least once a month. One of the "away" games is at RCC in Warsaw - only an hour away so we'll definitely make that one. Can't wait!
Hope all of you guys enjoy the college season. The past four years of college was personally tough on me. Two colleges both 1000 miles away and then pro ball 1000 and 1500 miles away.

FoxDad, I would do 5 hours tommorow morning if I could. But maybe that's a West Coast thing (we're used to vast open spaces and long travel times). I've seen my son pitch maybe four times in the past four years. With some luck they'll bump him up to the Victorville area this year, "only" a three hour ride.

Savor every moment you can see your sons play. I miss h.s. baseball. Smile
Last edited by Bum
quote:
Originally posted by Bum:
FoxDad, I would do 5 hours tommorow morning if I could. But maybe that's a West Coast thing (we're used to vast open spaces and long travel times). I've seen my son pitch maybe four times in the past four years. With some luck they'll bump him up to the Victorville area this year, "only" a three hour ride.

Savor every moment you can see your sons play. I miss h.s. baseball. Smile

It's not so much the time, but the fuel expense as well. Budget is on the tight side so it more or less dictates how many times we can go. Plus my wife works nights and weekends so finding the right weekend will be a challenge.

Last fall he qualified for the college travel team (they only take what the bus can hold - about 26-27 players out of 35 on the roster) - they played a DI university about an hour away. It was great to see him and see him play.

Yeah, I miss HS baseball too. We're still going to attend some games locally - we still know several players that are on the HS team.
Last edited by FoxDad
Fellow Baseball fans, lurking for a couple months, figured it was to to step in the box.
I have a freshman RHP going to a DIII in IL. Coach says he will have a key role this year, although not sure if as starter or reliever. I only have a 23 hr drive if I want to see games, guess we might not make too many. Will be following via sons texts and the SLIAC web site. Coach said he will try and look for a spring break tournament in AZ next year. Looking forward to that, in the mean time will have to settle for watching my Jr.LHP here in DII HS ball.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.