Skip to main content

How many times are the Cowboys going to be knocked out of the playoffs before someone starts pointing the finger at Don English? It's always the old '1-game series' excuse, or any of a myriad of reasons why a so-called "superior" Cowboys team comes into a playoff game tight or unprepared. That's COACHING, and English has a long history of making his teams underperform. What coach, seeing a starting pitcher give up FIVE walks in the 1st inning, would not make a trip to the mound sometime during that ordeal to help settle him down? ENGLISH probly knew his presence would make it worse for Hermans. Face it, a monkey could take this team with 6 D-1 players farther into the playoffs, and should have. Coppell deserves better, and has now for a long time.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Cowboy4life,
I don't know how you have come to your conclusions. My son in particular has not had a strong hitting season, and it was extended lastnight. Coach English has always taken blame for things he has done wrong, but lastnight was not one of them. It seemed as though all that could go wrong went wrong for our boys. This however does not make them anyless of an individual as the next guy, or Coach English. It is a game, and there always has to be someone that loses, we were disappointed that it was us lastnight. I sat in the stands wondering why things were turning out the way they were and kept being reminded of Chris Gavora(sp?) and his parents and how they much feel in his loss. Gee I have a healthy God fearing son who went 0 for 3, things could be worse. It is not Coach English's fault, he cannot lay down bunts, catch flies, field grounders or hit for our players. He can encourage, lead a life of integrity worth being imitated and love these players like his own sons, which he has done for almost 30 years. You my friend are wrong on this one! God bless those who are able to put things in perspective.
quote:
Originally posted by Catscradle:
Cowboy4life,
I don't know how you have come to your conclusions. My son in particular has not had a strong hitting season, and it was extended lastnight. Coach English has always taken blame for things he has done wrong, but lastnight was not one of them. It seemed as though all that could go wrong went wrong for our boys. This however does not make them anyless of an individual as the next guy, or Coach English. It is a game, and there always has to be someone that loses, we were disappointed that it was us lastnight. I sat in the stands wondering why things were turning out the way they were and kept being reminded of Chris Gavora(sp?) and his parents and how they much feel in his loss. Gee I have a healthy God fearing son who went 0 for 3, things could be worse. It is not Coach English's fault, he cannot lay down bunts, catch flies, field grounders or hit for our players. He can encourage, lead a life of integrity worth being imitated and love these players like his own sons, which he has done for almost 30 years. You my friend are wrong on this one! God bless those who are able to put things in perspective.

I don't know about the rest of you but this had to be the best post from a parent I've ever read. Thank You...
Thanks maverick, my husband is the preacher, writer of our household. I took a chance and had to join this morning and get a word in for people who really our the heroes in all this. Lots of conclusions drawn about this team and their reported cocky arrogant spirit or coaches inadequacies. I haven't witnessed that, but what I have seen is a couple of strong leaders emerge and players who really love each other, and a coach that keeps things in perspective. I guess it was a successful season afterall.
quote:
Originally posted by Cowboy4Life:
What coach, seeing a starting pitcher give up FIVE walks in the 1st inning

Five walks in the first does not matter if the offense doesn't score a run. He could have walked 15 guys and it still would have been a shutout.

quote:
ENGLISH probly knew his presence would make it worse for Hermans. Face it, a monkey could take this team with 6 D-1 players farther into the playoffs, and should have. Coppell deserves better, and has now for a long time.

Is the monkey going to swing the bat for the 6 D-1 players? Players have to take responsibility at some point...there is only so much a coach can do.
What does lethargic look like? Were they laying in the dugout, did they walk onto the field when on defense and not hustle out, did you hear someone snoring, were they texting their girlfriends in the stands or playing poker in the dugout before the first pitch was thrown? They were ready to play I can gaurantee it. I have often asked my son after a game, were you trying to get a hit did you swing hard? Unsuccessful attempt to the outsider often looks like lack of effort or lethargy? But I can assure you no player at this level would go to a game and not try or want to help his team. It is ludicrous to make statements that impune them in such a way. I saw pitches thrown out and up, and bunts popped up, and hard hits go right to a player, but in no way can you make statements like this and there be an ounce of truth in it. Wish you could of been at the extra inning games against FM and SLC, anything but lethargic. Isn't this great game about swinging with confidence pitching and hitting spots, etc... The pros even struggle and are only successful about 30% of the time. Give these great kids and coaches a break, and the old saying if you can't say something nice don't say it might apply here. The Grapevine team played impeccable baseball lastnight.
Top Shelf,
Were you at the same game as me? When Morris hit the lead off double, his body language was full of passion for the game. When Hermans wasn't getting any calls, he didn't pout. Instead, he focused and went to work. I can go on with examples, but the fact is, the team lost a tough one to a good Grapevine team. It's tough being highly ranked because of the bull's eye on your back. Seems like some people just want to kick some good, talented kids when they're down. The good news is that most all the seniors are moving on to great college programs so you haven't heard the last of them.

As for English, he's made some mistakes through the years, but Cat is right, he loves those kids. I believe him to be an honorable man who has given my kid an "Attaboy!" when he needed it.
Your opinion is suspect since you said yourself you have only seen a few games, yet "they have looked lathargic for most of the year to me". Yes the coach is responsible for getting them ready, that is why they had a little chewing for an hour after FM and lots of LH bp. Not sure what else they could have done. I know you have probably seen alot of baseball since you have the honor of scouting many teams, surely you have things go awry like they did lastnight and breaks on one side of the field and not the other. It has nothing to do with umps, coaches, players, etc... it is baseball. Just wish in a perfect world your opinion wouldn't be so condescending. I am partial to the Cowboys, please forgive.
I don't ever post, but sit back and watch this forum. Very often when someone gets called out on a subject, they respond that they "know something" that the rest of us don't know. So, Top Shelf, why don't you share this knowledge with the rest of us? After all, if you are telling the baseball world that our kids are lethargic and that you "have a little more knowledge" about our team or our kids that we don't know, shouldn't you share that with us? Or is that information top secret among you scout-types?
When I see comments and posts like the one that started this thread, it makes me extremely proud that I do what I do for a living. The easiest thing to do is to start throwing people under the bus because of the outcome of a ballgame didn't go the way it was "supposed" to. The Patriots two years ago can attest to something like this. Just wondering out loud to the originator of this thread, if you have teenage children or if you have ever coached a group of high school or younger players, how many times do they do exactly what you coach them to do? They may do it time and time again in practice and in some games, however, there are times when they will fail and not execute. It's the nature of the beast when coaching young men. What gets me is when someone gets on here and bashes a man who makes his living coaching and is in the public eye. Yes he did choose his profession as did I, but you'll never see one of us sitting behind your desk watching every move you make and bashing you when the outcome of a deal or some other crisis occurs that may or may not be your fault. I wish in the future that you'd approach Coach English face to face with your issues. Or even better than that, go get your certification to teach, (yes, coaches DO teach classes during the day when they are not coaching which is a whole 'nuther thing in itself), come to the public school place of business and lets see what you can do. This isn't MLB '09 where you can hit the reset button to start over again and you don't have all-stars sitting on the bench. You do the best you can with what you have and so be it.

Coach English is a very close friend of mine and at one time my boss. I had the honor of working on his staff at Coppell and with this group of young men. They were a joy and honor to coach and I will never forget my time there. Coach English is a mentor to these players and his assistant coaches. He teaches them all about life through baseball. He is a rock solid man who is a excellent example of what it means to live a Christ centered life.
This is a great thread!!!

We have had several years of experience with Coach English and I have never run across a more incompetent, deceitful person in baseball then him. If you walk the same line(s) as him then everything is just wonderful; if you don't you are punished. I appreciate all of the God fearing quotes being tossed about - I too am of the persuasion. But when a man stoops so low as to call his professed feelings of God into action and then takes his feelings out on his ball players shame on him. This is a man who firmly believes that his way is the only way. His hypocrisy is amazing!

Now let's talk baseball skills - he has none. Okay, that is too severe. He does know how to write little notes to himself on his hands so he doesn't forget - "runner on 3rd, suicide squeeze". Obviously that's an exaggeration but still pretty close to the truth.

Now let's talk marketing skills. This he can do. He has a solid record of promoting programs and getting funding in line. He brought in a lot of money to the Cowboys program when he 1st arrived. But that job is done and he gets an A - not to discount all of the work that was done be everyone else who really brought the money in - I'm just trying to figure out how to give an attaboy to good 'ol Coach. Though it is too bad his marketing of supplements never got off the ground with his players.

Bottom line yes it is the players who have to execute. But the Coach has such an important impact on the game and I just don't see anything positive with this guy. These players love the game and they are going to do their best regardless of the coach - that's why kids like Morris et al are elite players. As much as English did to destroy my son's love of the game he couldn't do that - and that is the only thing we have to be thankful for in our experience with English.
quote:
Originally posted by L.A.:
When I see comments and posts like the one that started this thread, it makes me extremely proud that I do what I do for a living. The easiest thing to do is to start throwing people under the bus because of the outcome of a ballgame didn't go the way it was "supposed" to. The Patriots two years ago can attest to something like this. Just wondering out loud to the originator of this thread, if you have teenage children or if you have ever coached a group of high school or younger players, how many times do they do exactly what you coach them to do? They may do it time and time again in practice and in some games, however, there are times when they will fail and not execute. It's the nature of the beast when coaching young men. What gets me is when someone gets on here and bashes a man who makes his living coaching and is in the public eye. Yes he did choose his profession as did I, but you'll never see one of us sitting behind your desk watching every move you make and bashing you when the outcome of a deal or some other crisis occurs that may or may not be your fault. I wish in the future that you'd approach Coach English face to face with your issues. Or even better than that, go get your certification to teach, (yes, coaches DO teach classes during the day when they are not coaching which is a whole 'nuther thing in itself), come to the public school place of business and lets see what you can do. This isn't MLB '09 where you can hit the reset button to start over again and you don't have all-stars sitting on the bench. You do the best you can with what you have and so be it.

Coach English is a very close friend of mine and at one time my boss. I had the honor of working on his staff at Coppell and with this group of young men. They were a joy and honor to coach and I will never forget my time there. Coach English is a mentor to these players and his assistant coaches. He teaches them all about life through baseball. He is a rock solid man who is a excellent example of what it means to live a Christ centered life.

LA, Last time I checked Coach English was getting paid handsomely at Coppell. Just because he coaches a great game doesn't mean he can get away with doing a half-baked job. I am really getting tired of coaches thinking coaches don't have accountability. Good grief. Don't get into coaching big-time high school sports if you don't want heat. If you are doing pro bono coaching at the YMCA then you a get a pass.
Padre,

Are you serious? Big-time HS sports?

Unless you are a TAPPS school, you are given the talent that lives in your attendance zone as a coach. For the majority, it is average from top to bottom...a few studs, mostly solid guys, and some stiffs.

Coppell has very good talent. Coach English threw his ace, and he struggled. Grapevine was patient at the plate and took advantage. Melotakis threw a great game. Both teams were prepared and played hard. Nothing more or less.

You need to gain some perspective and realize where high school sports fits in the big scheme.
Friends,

I have my opinins too. I think it best to return to a happier place.....where we focus on the kids and their accomplishments.....and the playoffs and great HS baseball....while trying to remain silent when it comes to personal attacks. I understand that this can be an emotional topic. Please consider whether your posts contribute to this site in a positive way.

Thanks.
04 Prospect is more in line with how people really feel about English, than are the comments from Cat, Heroes, and LA. Many, many, many of us HAVE taken our feelings direct to him, only to suffer his arrogance or punitive attitude in the face of constructive critism. This is all about a PATTERN of failure on his part. For every one of YOU who has posted support for him here and elsewhere, there are at least a dozen others who feel otherwise (and you KNOW that 2 b true!). For every son of yours who feels he's been a positive role model and good Christian, there's 10 past players who don't respect him and think he was nothing more than a charlatan with his displays of Christian hypocrasy. He's alienated so many good baseball people in this community the list is too long to mention. Bottom line, HE -- not his players -- has for 7 years (more if you talk to the Plano folks) failed to have his team prepared, hot, intense, peaking (insert whatever adj you want) at playoff time. It's a 5A program with a 2A coach. And that's an insult to every good 2A guy out there.
quote:
Originally posted by Fielder's Choice:
Let me get this straight - he was a good enough coach to get Coppell ranked Number 1 and then all of a sudden he is incompetent? The man sure lost his coaching skills in a hurry.

LA and many others; thank you for being positive...
Since English has been there, the Coppell players and coaches win and lose with class. And from what I've seen the last 4 years there was alot more winning than losing. Were they one of the four that won a State Championship during that time.... no, but they were all great baseball teams that had more than a chance to win in any game. You have to be good... but you have to be a little lucky to win it all in the playoffs! Did the Cowboys have enough talent to win it all. Trust me... Coppell had one goal... to win it all. They would not have been happy even coming in second. That is what Coach English, his staff, and every player expected, and worked toward. They expected it. They missed the goal, but there are about 250 other teams that will also miss that goal in 5A baseball. Does that make them all bad coaches and players? I think not!
I don't see why people can't have an honest discussion. Especially if this was questioned months ago as I read. I don't see where anyone was "trashed" by the discussion. This is the Tom Landry syndrome that I always see pop up in the Dallas area. Everyone is measured by the great man when things happen.

I think its fine to have an opinion.

I think its fine to be positive.

I think its fine to be critical as long as it isn't ugly.

Its great to stand up for friend.

This thread wasn't ugly. This is no big deal this forum is always tame. If you can't take any kind of criticism in life then its gonna be long and hard. It comes with the territory of coaching. Coach English knows this too.
Jeeze. This sounds more like a booster club meeting than a high school baseball message board. Can we all calm down and realize we have no impact on anything that happens within the lines whatsoever? I remember just a couple of weeks ago people were calling for Ron Washingon's head....

Kudos for Zak Hermans for staying composed even though he wasn't getting calls, and even more kudos to Mason Melotakis and the Grapevine team, who kept the intensity up all 7 innings. Good luck to Grapevine in the next round.
quote:
Originally posted by Newscout:
All I want to know is who is the hitting coach? That is the guy to hang. Keep English and dump that guy. I have never seen a team of great athletes and good hitters look so bad, and look bad all year. A lot of preseason prospects on that team hit below .280

ummm... Hitting Coach in High School ??? Is there such an animal???
quote:
Originally posted by txbball14:
quote:
What coach, seeing a starting pitcher give up FIVE walks in the 1st inning

Five walks in the first does not matter if the offense doesn't score a run. He could have walked 15 guys and it still would have been a shutout.

quote:
ENGLISH probly knew his presence would make it worse for Hermans. Face it, a monkey could take this team with 6 D-1 players farther into the playoffs, and should have. Coppell deserves better, and has now for a long time.

Is the monkey going to swing the bat for the 6 D-1 players? Players have to take responsibility at some point...there is only so much a coach can do.

Coppell boys had one goal... just like SLC football... to win state. Anything less was going to be a disappointing season! (When you shoot for the moon, sometimes you might end up amoungst the stars.) They missed the moon, but maybe they have not yet hit the stars! I know they will be great men because the expectation for greatness is ingrained into their character. We will continue to read about all of the D-1 guys and other players you commented on when they play in college ...and we might wonder from time to time what happened in 09', but only God really knows. Thank you Catscradle for the perspective utilizing the GP player from last year. I too am grateful. With that I bid ado!
A few responses to some of the posts:

Tychco - yes attendence zones dictate where you play for the public schools but to think that people don't move to certain districts in part due to athletic programs is naive. We moved to Coppell for a variety of reasons, including the CHS athletics. And Coppell has one of the better youth sports programs in the area.

Fielder's Choice - No 1 ranking was preseason before he did any coaching. The elite players on the team got to their level mostly because of their experience with select baseball, not what they got from playing for English.

Big Red - The people of Coppell can have an impact. There was a movement last year to take issues with English before the School Board but as I understand it was tabled for a year. And the issues aren't so much based on winning or losing but his overall lack of competence and inappropriate behavior.

Padre Padre - yes he gets a handsome salary. And don't forget the handsome annuity he receives for runing his summer youth baseball programs which produce many, many thousands of dollars.

To All - it is possible that English has again been born again based on some of the positive comments supporting him. But I have my serious doubts based on years of direct experience with the man.
quote:
Originally posted by 04 Prospect:
A few responses to some of the posts:

Tychco - yes attendence zones dictate where you play for the public schools but to think that people don't move to certain districts in part due to athletic programs is naive. We moved to Coppell for a variety of reasons, including the CHS athletics. And Coppell has one of the better youth sports programs in the area.

Fielder's Choice - No 1 ranking was preseason before he did any coaching. The elite players on the team got to their level mostly because of their experience with select baseball, not what they got from playing for English.

Big Red - The people of Coppell can have an impact. There was a movement last year to take issues with English before the School Board but as I understand it was tabled for a year. And the issues aren't so much based on winning or losing but his overall lack of competence and inappropriate behavior.

Padre Padre - yes he gets a handsome salary. And don't forget the handsome annuity he receives for runing his summer youth baseball programs which produce many, many thousands of dollars.

To All - it is possible that English has again been born again based on some of the positive comments supporting him. But I have my serious doubts based on years of direct experience with the man.

Not that I have to defend Tycho but what he was saying was each coach has to play with the hand he is dealt. Everyone knows kids will be moved into a district for athletic purposes. Its being going on for years. I think the people that do that for that reason and that reason only have a problem.

I don't know anything about the coach but as in every town across Texas, some people are gonna like him and his style and others are not. It comes with the territory.

Most coaches run summer camps to supplement their income. As they do in college and the pros.
quote:
LA, Last time I checked Coach English was getting paid handsomely at Coppell. Just because he coaches a great game doesn't mean he can get away with doing a half-baked job. I am really getting tired of coaches thinking coaches don't have accountability. Good grief. Don't get into coaching big-time high school sports if you don't want heat. If you are doing pro bono coaching at the YMCA then you a get a pass.

PadrePadre - Couldn't agree more about coaches!
Maverick - all I'm saying about summer camps is that he clears $50k+ on those plus his $80k+ salary makes for a just a bit better than your average income. And he no longer has to teach...

Joe M & KG - we don't coach because we don't want to (and maybe can make more then a stiff like English). But as taxpayers we pay his salary so that gives us a say. And when he abuses my son I'll rail all day long about his incompetence.

Nasty - if Topshelf is a scout then chances are he has significantly more experience at evaluating players and teams than you or I do. I don't know who he works for but 90% of the scouts I have met have excellent antenae for sourcing this type of information - that's how they make a living.
Link copied to your clipboard.