Skip to main content

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. C:
how about the mom/ dad that is the "gatorade fetcher right now because water is just not good enough for my kid" ? You know who you are.

"NOT YELLOW!!! I WANTED ORANGE!!!"

HURRY UP!!

Know what I don't understand? A lot of times when I'm in the dugout and someones parent or sister brings them gatorade, they just take it and give whoever delivered their drink the cold shoulder. Am I the only one who isn't too good for a thankyou?

Also if it hasn't been added, may I add the Vendor who always has extra seeds or peanuts to give to then hungry athletes?? He is usually a team favorite for players.
I have been enjoying this thread, and putting names and faces to all these on the various teams we have been on through the years. I came up with a new one yesterday, though. The FIELD FINDER. You know, you have the address of the school, you plug it into the GPS, and when you arrive, there are no fields to be seen. You drive around in circles, through bus parking lots, ignoring the do not enter signs, while your co-pilot looks up and out the window, head kinda hanging out like a dog, looking for the light poles, surely that is where the field is! Joke was on us, the baseball field at this school didn't have lights. As freshman parents, I am sure this will not be our last adventure! So happy it is time to play ball!
Last edited by pink lady
FIELD FINDER- Good one, pink lady!

Way back in LL Districts, one field was hidden behind Adult World. It was a crazy intersection. Everyone messed up.

"The easiest way is to cut through Adult World" didn't go over well with some parents.

And, of course, the kids all were asking, "Mom, Dad, what's Adult World?"
quote:
Originally posted by pink lady:
I have been enjoying this thread, and putting names and faces to all these on the various teams we have been on through the years. I came up with a new one yesterday, though. The FIELD FINDER. You know, you have the address of the school, you plug it into the GPS, and when you arrive, there are no fields to be seen. You drive around in circles, through bus parking lots, ignoring the do not enter signs, while your co-pilot looks up and out the window, head kinda hanging out like a dog, looking for the light poles, surely that is where the field is! Joke was on us, the baseball field at this school didn't have lights. As freshman parents, I am sure this will not be our last adventure! So happy it is time to play ball!

In my experience you're the field finder APPRRENTICE. In a few years you will become the field finder MASTER. The parent(s) of the older player on the team who knows the exact location of every single field on the schedule. You can give detailed directions to any field and usually without being asked.
I graduated to FIELD FINDER master level during showcase ball the last couple of years. Finding fields at college campuses is not the easiest.

Trick for both colleges and high schools is to switch Google to "Satellite" view. Then look near the address for anything resembling a baseball field. Only problem can be the all dirt infield which resembles a softball field. In some cases, I went to street view to figure out how the turns worked.

By last Summer, I had maps, directions (to and from field), and addresses (for GPS which I don't totally trust) for each game. All of this went into my weekend folder which included a listing of game times, hotel reservations, and info on local places to eat.

Sad thing is, I work in Information Technology but I just can't get away from paper. Don't really trust having "bars" in all locations.
Here's a beauty, Louisburg College in NC, reportedly the oldest Jr. College in the nation. We had a late game scheduled there in a Dynamic Showcase tournament last fall. The tournament centered around Cary, NC and we had to drive an hour to this field in the dark. When we arrived it looked like an ant hill swarming the campus with baseball families in their cars. Nobody knew where to go in this little town. It can't be that hard to find a lighted field. With each passing minute the stress increased inside the car for fear of being late and possibly losing playing time. We finally found the queen ant who led us through parking lots, back streets and a gravel road to find the field. I think the entire team in fact beat the coach to the field. I will not soon forget the fun night under blankets drinking hot chocolate while enjoying the game and forgetting how our GPS was worthless.
I may have an original. Cant be sure as I may have missed it somewhere. The "runners going" dad. This is for all you catcher dads. I should know as my son is one and I used to do it until during a game, my son sarcastically says to me after he throws the baserunner out. Gee, thanks Dad, I'd have missed that one. Anyway, great thread, laughed my back side off.
Related to twooutdouble's guy. . .

The "got him" or "he's there" guy depending on whether his team is on offense or defense.
On defense he's the guy that screams "GOT HIM!" in an effort to assist the umpire on any close tag play such as a steal or pick off move.
And of course if his team is at bat he would assist by yelling "He's There" on any close play such as the above. He can be contagious recruiting several other guys especially in a close game.
quote:
Originally posted by YesReally:
I may be able to locate more highschool fields in Atlanta metro area than I can in the Richmond metro area. Must be a name for that....

I feel ya. My 2nd trip will be this Summer, likely twice this year.

Last year I scouted the HS fields the day before so I could give EASY directions to my parents. I had several parents who tended to get there late when they weren't sure where they were going.

First one we come to my kid says "That's their HIGH SCHOOL FIELD???" Turns out it was the softball field. The baseball field was even nicer.

After looking at that field my kid pipes up "Hey Dad, can you get a job near here?" LOL
quote:
Originally posted by latazaea:
This one reminded me of the 'pick off' dads also who yell 'baaaackkkk' for the baserunner....can't deny that I'm one of those on occasion, not trying to tell them what to do, it just comes out !

haha, I yelled out "back" at a game last week. I looked around sheepishly and told everyone "where did that come from"?
The UMPIRE CHORUS….zealous band of performers who dedicate a part of every game to serenading the arbiters at key junctures of the contest. They have limited range and there’s not much variation in their material, but it’s a prolific repertoire and they perform it with great gusto. They typically open with Are You Kidding Me, Blue, often followed by You’re Garbage, Blue, It Goes Both Ways, Blue, and What Are They Paying You, Blue. When truly inspired the troupe will accompany the umpires to the parking lot at the conclusion of the game and culminate the evening with an encore presentation of You Missed A Good Game, Blue as the hapless victims retreat to the safety of their vehicles.
quote:
Originally posted by duck80:
...on every pass ball or wild pitch he was yelling "feet...feet" or "backstop....backstop"

I had to check your location to make sure it wasn't me you were talking about. Whew!

Definitely a catcher dad thing. That and "Up!" Doesn't matter who's behind the plate, I'm equally *helpful* to all.
quote:
Originally posted by Marklaker:
The UMPIRE CHORUS….zealous band of performers who dedicate a part of every game to serenading the arbiters at key junctures of the contest. They have limited range and there’s not much variation in their material, but it’s a prolific repertoire and they perform it with great gusto. They typically open with Are You Kidding Me, Blue, often followed by You’re Garbage, Blue, It Goes Both Ways, Blue, and What Are They Paying You, Blue. When truly inspired the troupe will accompany the umpires to the parking lot at the conclusion of the game and culminate the evening with an encore presentation of You Missed A Good Game, Blue as the hapless victims retreat to the safety of their vehicles.

Yes this nefarious Blue Man Group of killjoys will be responsible for thousands of losses all throughout the land. Noone will consider the 300 pitches or 39+ outs recording over 2 1/2 hours as being any factor in the outcome. Only that banger at first base in the sixth inning decided the game.
Heres to you "Mr Scrimmage Breaker Downer"

You have successfully broken down the pros and cons of every team, player, and coach in your district based off a 10 inning game on a wet field that featured the combined top 25 pitchers on both teams and line ups that batted 22 hitters.

Scouting reports will be posted online (including video...premium users only) by end of day.

In the immortal words of Allen Iverson... "Are we talking about practice?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uoQ7kKgx4o

Rich
www.playinschool.com
and always in the park...

"watch the ball hit the bat" chorus group with the second verse of the "swing level", and followed with "you'll get them next time", then back to the first verse.

I'm always thinking, "physically impossible to do", "level to what"? and "probably not, this is a game of failure", and smile real big, because these are nice people, and I enjoy being around them, and I don't want them to know I'm not perfect and have them make up a name for me now too. :]
Last edited by showme
Well, we are two games into the season, and I have already been the following guys:

Mr. iPad Scorekeeper Guy
Mr. Home Run Ball Chaser Guy (I make my younger son do the running)
Mr. "UUUUP" Guy on those popups.
Both Mr. "He's There" Guy and Mr. "Got 'im" Guy
And of course, Mr. Umpire QC Guy; to the point my son (playing) and wife, who is now Mrs. Sit in the OutField Gal, had to tell me to calm down.

So 6 HS Baseball Watcher entities in one week.
Wow. I'm so proud and ashamed at the same time.
What a great thread!

What about "Captain Obvious" Dad. The one who yells to the pitcher after two walks "Just throw strikes" or to the batter "Just put it in play" or to the defense with two outs "Get the easy out." And then there is my favorite: "A walk is as good as a hit!"

While I will admit to being many of these guys, I have instructed my wife to ban me from attending games if I ever utter one of these phrases!
I love this thread.

Two games into the season and I’ve heard quite a few. It’s like watching birds if you see something different you want to get the book out and see what it is.

I sat by the “Just a guy” the last two games..... “Just under it”, “just outside”, “just inside”, “just a little high”...... it’s after every pitch. Drove me nuts the 1st game so 2nd game I sat on other side of bleachers and after the 1st pitch I heard to my left “Just under it” on a foul pop up and there he was. Too late I was stuck there. Tonight I will be more aware of my surroundings. ( Strange coincidence: Just a guy’s wife wasn’t at the 2nd game?, maybe she’d like to sit with me.)
While I grant you “Just A Guy” does have his moments, I consider him much higher on the food chain then “Now You’re Ready Guy”.

It’s the sixth inning, the kid’s third AB facing the same pitcher and he’s just taken a FB dead center, belt high to fall behind 1-2. Right on cue “Now You’re Ready Guy” spews his pablum in earnest. Immediately “That’s Ok, Get ‘em Next Time Lady” nods her head in vigorous affirmation and gets ready for her own feelgood moment.
How did you know?

My Son told me. One of the Parents is the Mother of one of his travel Team Teamates. She was at all 5 tryout days. The other guy he didn't know & the kid didn't make the team. Like I said, Pretty embarrasing for the kid

Here's an update, Crazy Mom did same thing this year. Cuts were posted the next morning & Son was cut. Mom showed up at practice that day anyway & ripped the Coach a new one!! Son is still cut.
Saw Mr. The Same, Remember, Look Like Guy this weekend.

Ump; "Balk!"
Mr SRLL: "Balk? "Ain't that the same ump that we had two weeks ago?"
Parent: "Naw, that's not him."
Mr SRLL: "Yeah, you remember called that same balk in the third inning on Ronnie, remember?"
Coach overhearing:"That's not him"
Mr SRLL:"Mmph, look like him"

Could be the same hitter that.., the same coach that...
Last edited by sloroller
quote:
Originally posted by Retriever Dad:
Well, we are two games into the season, and I have already been the following guys:

Mr. iPad Scorekeeper Guy
Mr. Home Run Ball Chaser Guy (I make my younger son do the running)
Mr. "UUUUP" Guy on those popups.
Both Mr. "He's There" Guy and Mr. "Got 'im" Guy
And of course, Mr. Umpire QC Guy; to the point my son (playing) and wife, who is now Mrs. Sit in the OutField Gal, had to tell me to calm down.

So 6 HS Baseball Watcher entities in one week.
Wow. I'm so proud and ashamed at the same time.

I teared up from laughing so hard.
Hail to the "Grill Keepers" they come early to fire up the grill for not only burgers and dawgs but sausage with grilled peppers and onions, chicken legs, chicken breasts, even steak on occasion. They always make sure there's enough for players and coaches after the game. A "Grill Keeper" Dad whose son already graduated makes trays of his famous mac & cheese. Our high school is known for it's great food thanks to these guys. Wanna guess where all the "We Like It Standin' Genius Club members are standin, you got it!
Not sure if this guy has made an appearance on this post yet but I've seen a few "I don't want to stand next to THAT guy guys." I've had more than one text asking me if so and so is there and where they are sitting so as to be sure he doesn't have to listen to them comment.

Except now I've become the "Hope he doesn't come over and bend my ear while I am the ipad scoring guy guy"
We all know (and sometimes are) Mr. Umpire QC Guy.
But now, a new breed, or viral strain, or mutation has emerged from Umpire QC Guy.

Allow me to introduce Mr. Umpire Stalker Guy.

This guy plans his escape route at the end of the game to match up to where he believes the umpires will be exiting. If he guesses wrong, he stampedes past the exiting crowd to at least make it over to where the umpires have parked.

Upon encountering the umpires that he believes performed the worst game calling of their lives, Mr. Umpire Stalker Guy.... Stares them down. In most cases, no words are exchanged (thank goodness), just that cold, hard, disdainful stare, that is intended to say "Bad job, guys!"

Thankfully, the umpires ignore Mr. Umpire Stalker, and probably don't even notice him, as they are eager to change out of their uniforms and get on with their real lives.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.