Skip to main content

Seeing the size of my son as compared to others either playing sports or at school functions I knew he was becoming a big kid for his age (will be 7 next week). Not bragging and I know things tend to even out ... not my point. He was born premature, less than 5 pounds, so his first year or two his body played "catch up" as compared to children his age. When he was less than a year old doctors would mention he was in the lower 1/3 percentile in height/weight for a boy his age. After he turned 2 they might say he was around or just above the 50% percentile mark but basically it stopped being mentioned.

Earlier this week he had a bad cough and a bit of fever, so I took him to the doc (he's fine now, just a cold). They did the typical doctors office visit measurement of height and weight. He came in at 52" and 73 pounds. I was curious just how he sized up as compared to an "average". I found a chart from the CDC (yea, government data) that shows the percentile average of height and weight for ages 2 - 20. (http://www.cdc.gov/growthchart...linical/cj41c071.pdf) If I'm reading the chart correctly, he is now around the 97th percentile for 7 year olds in height and weight. This really surprised me. I just didn't expect it.

Attachments

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hard to tell based on size of a 7 year old how big they're going to end up. Some of the biggest I remember in my sons age group at 7 are now merely average & some even small at 16. Had a kid who was a head taller than any others at 12 whose only an inch taller at 16 and shorter than most of his teammates. Some who were smaller are now bigger than peers. My kids been pretty consistent, average & skinny. Think he weighed about 80 lbs at 11, don't remember height. Don't remember at 7 but pretty sure a good gust of wind could've blown him over.
LOL. He is 7.  My 6'3" 190 lb. 17 year old was no where near the biggest as a 7 year old.  last I checked 4 of the 5 kids who were the "studs" aka biggest from back then no longer play baseball.  They all peaked in 8th grade.

Worry about his size when he starts to shave compared to the other kids that don't shave

It's funny.  You always hear about the kids that were little boys but are now big men.  And the big boys that are now little men.

My son always was kinda sorta, just a little bit bigger than most kids in his class.  As a 20 year old, he is now kinda sorta, just a little bigger than most kids his age.  Im sure he passed some along the way, and others passed him.  You can never tell what kids are going to do as they grow older.

Originally Posted by Suds:
LOL. He is 7.  My 6'3" 190 lb. 17 year old was no where near the biggest as a 7 year old.  last I checked 4 of the 5 kids who were the "studs" aka biggest from back then no longer play baseball.  They all peaked in 8th grade.

Worry about his size when he starts to shave compared to the other kids that don't shave

On the otherhand, my 6' 3" / 180 lb 14 yo (turns 15 in April) has, from day one been off the charts (99+ percentile). His first shoe was a size 2 (even as a toddler he was never in toddler shoes). He now has a size 15 shoe and they're too small. I'm only 5' 10 1/2" (yeah, I count the 1/2"). However, my father-in-law is 6' 10".

Originally Posted by roothog66:
I'm only 5' 10 1/2" (yeah, I count the 1/2"). However, my father-in-law is 6' 10".

I hear you.  I'm 5'11" and mine is just over 6'3"/220 (but he's 17) and will probably end up 6'4"/230-235.  Almost without exception, every time we encounter a scout or recruiter I get the "Seriously, you're the dad?" look. I give the same explanation as you....the wife's side is tall.  Cracks me up every time.

Originally Posted by GHHS-2016LHP:
I'm only 5' 10 1/2" (yeah, I count the 1/2"). However, my father-in-law is 6' 10".

I hear you.  I'm 5'11" and mine is just over 6'3"/220 (but he's 17) and will probably end up 6'4"/230-235.  Almost without exception, every time we encounter a scout or recruiter I get the "Seriously, you're the dad?" look. I give the same explanation as you....the wife's side is tall.  Cracks me up every time.

I'm 5'9". My son is 17 and is 6'3", 215.  The scouts ask me the same question. I look them straight in the eye and "dead pan" "What exactly do you mean by that?". Room goes silent and then I grin!  My dad was tall but my mom was 5"0" and my wife's family is tall but it sure gets them until they can tell that I'm kidding.

Last edited by RedFishFool

My son, now 20 years old is 6'1" 190 lbs, size 13 shoe and solid meat, was 9 lbs 8 oz at birth. He was also two weeks late coming into the world.

For the record I'm 6' 00" 195 lbs and my wife (his mother) is 5' 8" (if I list her weight I will surely be killed!).

Seven years of age is a wee bit early to contemplate how big (or small) they will be by the time they are teenagers.  One just does not know what "size" they'll end up at.

Quite often the smaller kids catch up and surpass to the bigger kids in their teenage years.

On the otherhand, my 6' 3" / 180 lb 14 yo (turns 15 in April) has, from day one been off the charts (99+ percentile). His first shoe was a size 2 (even as a toddler he was never in toddler shoes). He now has a size 15 shoe and they're too small. I'm only 5' 10 1/2" (yeah, I count the 1/2"). However, my father-in-law is 6' 10".

How big is your mail man? 

Originally Posted by lionbaseball:

About six foot eigh.......wait a minute...oh, no...

I've always said, "Momma's baby; Daddy's...maybe."

Originally Posted by RedFishFool:

I'm 5'9". My son is 17 and is 6'3", 215.  The scouts ask me the same question. I look them straight in the eye and "dead pan" "What exactly do you mean by that?". Room goes silent and then I grin!  My dad was tall but my mom was 5"0" and my wife's family is tall but it sure gets them until they can tell that I'm kidding.

I'm not even kidding when I say we've considered flying my father-in-law in for showcases.

Back in the olden days many folks had their milk delivered. Some joked "how tall is the milkman". Today we joke it's the added hormones in the milkman.. I mean the milk. My son is adopted. I'm 5'9". He's 6'3". Every time when we meet someone new, we are asked where the height comes from. Sometimes I say he's adopted. Other times I tell the person who's asking, we still get our milk delivered.

Nice job root you married wisely!  And we do all like the out of the norm stories but in reality the bigger kids when they are younger remain the bigger kids when they are older.  I was just dropping by this thread don't really have that big of a rooting interest one way or another so please don't pepper me now with the tired old stories about the 6 foot 6th grader who is now a 6 foot hs senior.  Those are the exceptions people!!!
My son has consistently been in the 90th percentile of height from day 1. Now, he's only 14 and still has growing to do, but I'm pretty confident he'll stay at the 90th percentile, which will put him at about 6'1". People always ask where he gets his height because my husband is 5'10" and I'm 5'3". What they don't see is that his uncle is 6'3", 265 lbs and grandfathers on all sides were 6'1" or better.

JD - Nice that your boy is catching up. Mine was born a little early too, but had caught up by the time he was two or so. It's funny, it's often said here that the big kids top out early and the little kids shoot up and I'm sure it happens occasionally. In our experience, my son was the big kid, he hung out with a bunch of multi sport athletes that were all pretty big too, and they're still the bigger kids. Most are nearly full grown now and are maybe 6' to 6'3". The shorter & smaller players are still smaller, but most of them ended up 5'10 or 5'11. So the difference definitely narrowed as they all grew up. It's just not a big factor now in baseball, but I do remember it as a topic of some conversation when the boys were young. Much more important (as has been mentioned recently too) is the point when a boy stops improving. The biggest key is to get better every year, which means work ethic and coach-ability become increasingly important. Running speed, bat speed and pop time become more important. Character begins to reveal itself. Love of the game and the ability to prioritize are so much more important at 17 than 7, and height just isn't that big a thing.

My son was always in the 95th percentile until about age ten. Then he proceeded to be a late bloomer like his sister and their mother. He started 8th grade baseball at 5'4". He would see a tall geek and mumble, "What a waste of height." By junior year he was 6'1". He's now 6'2". Being one of the smaller kids from 11-14 made him fundamentally sound and scrappy as hell to compete. It made the game easier when he grew. 

He got thrown around like a rag doll in 8th grade football game matched up against a much bigger kid. I asked him why he didn't bite the kid in the ankles. I received an eye rolling, "very funny."

You never know bb jr was almost 10 pounds at birth was one of the biggest kids anywhere but looked 12 in the face when he was 17.  He's 6'4 now.  a teammate was the smallest kid by far he looked like someones little brother.  The summer after sophmore year he started to grow and by graduation was 6'2 now 6 months into freshman year of college he is 6'3.  

My almost 16 YO son is exactly 5'10". At his age I was like 5'7" while my brothers were 6'3" and 6'2" by the time they were 14. My freshman year of college I had a late growth spurt and ended up 5'10.5" Apparently, the late growth spurt runs in my family as both uncles on my Mom's side grew 3-4" in their late teens. Obviously, I hope my son will get this (so does he!) and he ends up 6'0" or so. I'd say 6'1" would be the max. Of course, he cannot control it but he wishes he was 6'2" like his cousin (my younger brother's son)...

I'm 5'10", wife 5"2". oldest 2 boys (now 26 and 24), were average height to a bit short throughout school. End of HS, 5'9 and 5'8 respectively. Pudgy from 10-15 years old then, the slimmed down as a freshman in HS eventally getting athletic build that year. They both grew 4" in college, now 6'1" and 6', still athletic. 

My freshman in college son had the same pudgy 10-15 yrs old. became very athletic as a freshman in HS and was 5'7". Over HS years grew to 5'11". He is COUNTING ON growing 4" in college LOL.

His college colleges heard those stories too and I think they are hoping as well

I was always the tall skinny kid growing up.  At 18 I was about 6'2 and maybe 150-160 lbs. I ended up at 6'3 and well, a bit more weight. The wife is barely 5'0.

My oldest has always been pretty average size wise. At 16 he's 5'10, but has a chiseled physique I was never blessed with. I assume he will probably pick up a little more height, but end up no more than 6'0.

My youngest is a whole other story.  He just turned 9 and is 56 inches tall, which is somewhere in the 90's for height percentile. He's also close to that percentage for weight despite the fact that he's actually skinny. I'm crossing my fingers he ends up with my height and his brother's build.

Not sure where my 14 yr old will end up. He is currently my height(5'10 1/8' lol). But my dad was 6'6ish and wore size 15 double wide shoes. He grew 13+ inches in one year and has had back issues all his life from growing so fast.  To hear him tell the story, he lived in a very rural area of S. Georgia and the largest shoes they could buy were size 13. So his last two years of hs he wore size 13 and just had to curl his toes up in the end of his shoes!

I hope my son ends up somewhere in between but who knows?

When my son came home from school the other day and walked into the house, I told him to give your dad a big hug and a kiss, he turned around and started chasing the mail truck..??

Its not the size of my son but the magic in him... To small for basketball @center, not big enough for football @MLB,  to big to be a jockey... but just right for baseball..

My son is a 6'4" 180 pound Sophomore.  Growing up he was "off the charts" according to the Dr.  In addition to being "big" his social skills and maturity were also ahead of most.  He used to get a lot of cr@P from some kids.  To the point of bullying because of his size.  He was not one to fight back.  At one point I found an article about professional players and how many of this fit this mold growing up.  Even talked about how Shaq and Herschel Walker were the same and how they dealt with the bullying. I made my son read it.  It seemed to change the way he view his situation.  Funny thing is now the kids giving him cr@p are going no where in life and my son seems to have it together.  

Im 6'4" 235 so he gets his size from me.

Originally Posted by jlaro:

When my son came home from school the other day and walked into the house, I told him to give your dad a big hug and a kiss, he turned around and started chasing the mail truck..??

Its not the size of my son but the magic in him... To small for basketball @center, not big enough for football @MLB,  to big to be a jockey... but just right for baseball..

A married couple went to the hospital together to have their baby delivered. Upon their arrival, the doctor said he had invented a new machine that would transfer a portion of the mother’s labor pain to the father. He asked if they were willing to try it out. They were both very much in favor of it. The doctor set the knob to 10 percent for starters, explaining that even 10 percent was probably more pain than the father had ever experienced before. But as the labor progressed, the husband felt fine, so he asked the doctor to go ahead and bump it up a notch. The doctor then adjusted the machine to 20 percent pain transfer. The husband was still feeling fine. The doctor checked the husband’s blood pressure and pulse and was amazed at how well he was doing. At this, they decided to try for 50 percent. The husband continued to feel quite well. Since it was obviously helping out his wife considerably, he encouraged the doctor to transfer ALL the pain to him. The wife delivered a healthy baby with virtually no pain. She and her husband were ecstatic. When they arrived home, the mailman was dead on their porch. -

Originally Posted by joes87:

My son is a 6'4" 180 pound Sophomore.  Growing up he was "off the charts" according to the Dr.  In addition to being "big" his social skills and maturity were also ahead of most.  He used to get a lot of cr@P from some kids.  To the point of bullying because of his size.  He was not one to fight back.  At one point I found an article about professional players and how many of this fit this mold growing up.  Even talked about how Shaq and Herschel Walker were the same and how they dealt with the bullying. I made my son read it.  It seemed to change the way he view his situation.  Funny thing is now the kids giving him cr@p are going no where in life and my son seems to have it together.  

sounds a lot like my son: 6'3" 240 as a sophomore.  he is also mature for his age, and it is amazing the comments he gets not just from kids but also from adults.  I am going to look for that article.   

By the way, I am 5'7" and my wife is 4'10".  We confuse a lot of people.  

This is too funny. My husband is 5'10 and I am 5'2". Son at 17 was heads above the rest at 6'3+ in cleats he looks massive compared to others.  Because of his long legs and very long arms, he actually appears to be much taller. he actually stopped growing and is just under 6'4".

Everyone from scouts to college coaches who met us would ask where he got his height. My husband always told them he was adopted,  then everyone would crack up laughing. My husband is also a lefty, so that became a big joke as well.

Honestly, my kids get their height genes from my side of the family!  No one believes it but it is true.

Jack,

I am sorry, just cant believe that someone would come here with a post about their 7 years olds height and where they fit into the national average.

I suggest that you get yourself a hobby because you have a really really long way to do until your son "grows".  It is meaningless at this time.

Originally Posted by Dadofa17:

sounds a lot like my son: 6'3" 240 as a sophomore.  he is also mature for his age, and it is amazing the comments he gets not just from kids but also from adults.  I am going to look for that article.   

Adults could be the worst.  He has a very strict sense of right and wrong.  When he was 10 or 11, we were playing an out of town team without much class.  One of the coaches came up to him as he was warming up at 3rd base and asked him for a cigarette.  Guy actually walked on the field to ask him that.  My kid came over in tears.  It may not sound like much but when your noticed for being bigger then most your pretty sensitive (especially at that age) about anything that makes you stand out.  I approached the coach about it.  His response, was "tell him to grow a pair"

Originally Posted by Dadofa17:

Adults could be the worst.  He has a very strict sense of right and wrong.  When he was 10 or 11, we were playing an out of town team without much class.  One of the coaches came up to him as he was warming up at 3rd base and asked him for a cigarette.  Guy actually walked on the field to ask him that.  My kid came over in tears.  It may not sound like much but when your noticed for being bigger then most your pretty sensitive (especially at that age) about anything that makes you stand out.  I approached the coach about it.  His response, was "tell him to grow a pair"

Aw, man. Now you're making me feel bad! At 12u at Super Series National we were playing the Houston banditos who had a third baseman who was about 6' 4" / 220 with sideburns. I was coaching 3rd. I asked him if his wife and kids were enjoying the game. I thought I was being clever and jovial. Now I just feel like a jacka$$.

Last edited by roothog66
Originally Posted by nolan ryan:

~20% of US males are 5’7” or under and ~3% are 6’3” or over.  So you are 7X more likely to have a son 5’7” or less than you are to have one 6’3” or taller.  Pretty much everyone on this thread has a 14yo that’s 6’4”.  No point really, just interesting.

Nobody's kids have their height determined by national averages. It's determined by genetics. My daughter is 5'10". My son is 6'2". We weren't surprised by either based on our height and the height in the family tree.

As for poster's having tall kids, the better athletes are usually tall. My son looks at the athletes around him and thinks 6'2" is normal height.

Originally Posted by RJM:
Originally Posted by nolan ryan:

~20% of US males are 5’7” or under and ~3% are 6’3” or over.  So you are 7X more likely to have a son 5’7” or less than you are to have one 6’3” or taller.  Pretty much everyone on this thread has a 14yo that’s 6’4”.  No point really, just interesting.

Nobody's kids have their height determined by national averages. It's determined by genetics. My daughter is 5'10". My son is 6'2". We weren't surprised by either based on our height and the height in the family tree.

As for poster's having tall kids, the better athletes are usually tall. My son looks at the athletes around him and thinks 6'2" is normal height.

I also tend to wonder how old some of the charts are. Maybe it's just me, but kids seem so much bigger now than when I ws in high school. When I was a kid, a 6-footer was a tall kid. When I walked into the indoor facility at the U of Arkansas last November for a prospect camp it seemed like a 6-footer was a midget. Everybody looked 6' 6".

December 2014: According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average height for an adult male in the United States 5 feet 9.2 inches.

Averages vary by racial and ethnic groups. For example, the average adult non-Hispanic white male is 5 feet 9.8 inches tall and the average adult non-Hispanic black male is 5 feet 9.5 inches tall. The average height of adult Hispanic males is 5 feet 7.1 inches. 

Last edited by RJM

I'm right at six foot but my brother is about 6'5. Son is about 5'11. Don't think I haven't invited my brother to the WWBA or other big events.  He played college baseball and has two girls so I don't think he sees my true intentions yet 

One of my best friends is about 6'5.  His oldest is a 2016 with my son and not his biological son and has his biological father's last name.  We have been to two prospect camps together and both times my buddy is greeted as Mr. Son's last name.  Neither time did he correct the coach. Good stuff.

Funny.  I'm 5'7" and have a couple of 6 footers.  I just tell people that I'd like to meet their father some day.....

Originally Posted by RJM:

December 2014: According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average height for an adult male in the United States 5 feet 9.2 inches.

Averages vary by racial and ethnic groups. For example, the average adult non-Hispanic white male is 5 feet 9.8 inches tall and the average adult non-Hispanic black male is 5 feet 9.5 inches tall. The average height of adult Hispanic males is 5 feet 7.1 inches. 

RJM: Thanks for the info and by these stats my son is average (Grew early 7th-8th grade,one of taller kids then leveled out). Thank goodness his speed is off the charts. The recruiters all told us, we can easily put 20-25 pounds on your son,easier than  teaching one how to run.

Son is 14 1/2 (freshman June B-day) and 5'10.75....took him to ortho because of osgoodeschlatter in his knee, doc looked at his xrays and said his growth plates were "wide open"...meaning a few more inches can be expected...he's always been 95 percentile growing up and should remain that way through the end of his growing period.

I'm 5'8.75 in very thick socks and wife is about 5'6...I had issues with my legs growing up...they just refused to grow :-)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.