Skip to main content

Heard tonight on channel 8 news that someone stated they had 600 scouts "At ONE of our games" and a repeat "One of our games". So I did some math. That would mean that over 52% of every scout in the US saw this game played. Sign me up!!!

Division I: 286 participating schools
http://web1.ncaa.org/ssLists/s...sport=MBA&division=1

Division II: 236 participating schools
http://web1.ncaa.org/ssLists/s...sport=MBA&division=2

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NAIA: 212 participating schools
http://naia.cstv.com/member-se...Plans/BaseballQP.htm

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NJCAA

Division I: 187 participating schools
http://www.njcaa.org/findcolle...t.cfm?sid=7&gender=m

Pro Scouts: 30 teams x 8 scouts per team = 240

That is a total of 1,161 possible scout in the US.
NewGuy
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

OK just did more research. Japan has 11 Pro teams and each of them has 4 Full time scouts. So that is another 44 scouts, assuming they all have passports that would bring the percentage to 50.3% of all the scout in the world showed up at this game.

Don't think Independent teams have scouts and if they did they don't count.

I want a refund from my sons organization ASAP.
Most we had this year was about 30. Mixture of area scouts, cross checkers, scouting directors and even a few General Managers. Theo Epstein was at our first round playoff against Pine Tree. Crick was up to 97 that night. This past Saturday the Phillies Scouting Director told me he hit 98 3 times. Unless he asks for too much, he won't last past the sandwich picks between the 1st and 2nd round. He will get 7 figures to sign. How much exactly depends on the team that drafts him.
http://www.wfaa.com/sports/A-w...ports-121944884.html

quote:
"They can come watch all the teams in one weekend, get a breakdown of all the kids that they need to know about, instead of traveling around to all of creation to high school games where they might find one or two good quality college athletes on a high school team. That makes no sense," Stout explained. "They're going to go to the select sports."
Stout recalls a recent tournament in Florida.
"There were literally 600 college coaches and pro scouts at just one game. Six-hundred of them," he said. "Where else can you find that?"

lit·er·al·ly   
[lit-er-uh-lee] Show IPA
–adverb
in the literal or strict sense: What does the word mean literally?
in a literal manner; word for word: to translate literally.
actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy: The city was literally destroyed.

...hmmm
Last edited by RLB
You guys are letting that green eyed monster show through again...

As for the comment about 600 college and pro scouts at one game, I was there and can tell you there were a ton...600 who knows, may have been 500 or 700 but it was for real. The game was a quaterfinal match up in Jupiter, FL last October between the Dallas Patriots 17U team and FTB Mizuno (#2 ranked team in the country by Perfect Game). The Patriots had/have 17 Division 1 signees with Texas signee John Curtiss on the mound, while FTB Mizuno had the #4 overall HS prospect (Jose Fernandez - RHP throwing 95-97 on the mound and #3 overall HS prospect Francisco Lindor at SS). Each D1 college is allowed 2 scouts and most had that, and the pro guys were unlimited. Since there were 10 fields to cover I heard reports of several pro organizations with over 20 scout in attendance. The golf cart rental business really takes off that week as each guy is running around in a golf cart with a placard on the front with the name of their college or pro team. Once you get out of pool play and advance toward the final 8, 4, etc...the games are all played in the same area (4 fields surrounding a press tower/concession area) and the scouts all get condensed. In total we heard there were 900 scouts at this event...perhaps PG can confirm. I know he comes onto the Texas site every now and then.

If you've ever been to East Cobb, GA or Jupiter, FL it's hard to argue about the exposure the kids get in select ball vs high school ball. Heck, most of the college guys are playing so they can't come out to watch high school games. You get the pro scouts occasionally if you've got somebody on your team on their radar. Don't get me wrong, I love HS ball, but I can attest my son signed his D1 NLI to play baseball because of his exposure and play in the summer.
Last edited by doubleday
quote:
If you've ever been to East Cobb, GA or Jupiter, FL it's hard to argue about the exposure the kids get in select ball vs high school ball. Heck, most of the college guys are playing so they can't come out to watch high school games. You get the pro scouts occasionally if you've got somebody on your team on their radar. Don't get me wrong, I love HS ball, but I can attest my son signed his D1 NLI to play baseball because of his exposure and play in the summer.

Yep, been there done that (East Cobb & Jupiter) and my son is playing 16U this summer. We did get a few pro scouts at my son's high school team this year, but they were mainly looking at our Senior pitcher who has signed with a D1 school.
Please list the select teams of the following players...

Mickey Mantle
Nolan Ryan
Joe Dimaggio
Willie Mays

My point is if you are great, they will find you and they always have.

Jupiter is great, so is East Cobb. If Gut says Farmington is greatest, I believe him. Tuesday and Friday nights are great too. Playing in the Regional Finals in Midland was a blast! Both things are great and both serve a purpose. Just understand, when you "BASH" the high school game, there will be many that will come to its defense. Me included.
Our SS had around 15-25 at most games in early tournaments last season. Scouts work throughout the year. Sure Summer time is great for scouting, but I coached a Summer team with 5 kids in the first 2 rounds including 2 who are in the bigs right now. There were no more or less at those games. Comparing Select baseball and High School baseball is stupid. One is money and ego driven. The other is based upon playing along with peers from your area. The competition is different and for a differnet purpose and goal.
quote:
Originally posted by UpperDeck:
quote:
Originally posted by doubleday:
You guys are letting that green eyed monster show through again...

I was there also. They were several rows deep and lined the up and down both foul lines. Here is my attempt at uploading a picture. Not sure how many there were, but there were alot.

Not 600. Still not sure if someone knows what literally means.
Are you kidding me doubleday??? I have been to Jupiter 14 times. It is a great event, but they don't have 600 scouts there. Again that is 50% of ever scout in the World. Maybe close if you count the staffer scout that they call scouts. The picture posted I counted 72 people in the picture (including parents) you need to find another 428 people.

Bottom line is why don't you just say we had 100 scouts at one game that is still GREAT...
I pulled this directly from www.perfectgame.org

"2010 WWBA World Championship Event
Description: The 2010 WWBA World Championship consists of 85 of the elite travel/scout teams from across the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic. This tournament has become the top scouting attraction in all of amateur baseball. Almost every top prospect in the country attends each year, along with 700 or more MLB scouts and college coaches."

The picture shown doesn't do justice to the number of scouts there that night. It only shows a view from directly behind home plate. That crowd stretched all the way down to the left and right field foul poles.
OK I am going to take one more shot at this and I am done. Lets just say EVERY Single D1 school in America was there. 100%. That would be 286 scouts. And I think all of us that have been to Jupiter more than 10 times would agree that the Jucos or NJCAA's don't have the money to travel and very few are there at all. Now lets say 50% of the D2 schools in the world also showed up. And Lets also say every scout in America even PR, AK, and HI talked the scouting director in allowing them to go.

Recap:

100% of every D1 baseball program was there = 286
50% of every D2 in America also came to this game = 118
100% of every scout in America was there = 240

Now that is 644 scouts. I am I missing something? Or this is just amazing and it has to be a record. Now if he would have said "About, or Around" but he said "Literally"

This has been fun Peace out..
Last edited by Newscout
quote:
Originally posted by Newscout:
OK I am going to take one more shot at this and I am done. Lets just say EVERY Single D1 school in America was there. 100%. That would be 286 scouts. And I think all of us that have been to Jupiter more than 10 times would agree that the Jucos or NJCAA's don't have the money to travel and very few are there at all. Now lets say 50% of the D2 schools in the world also showed up. And Lets also say every scout in America even PR, AK, and HI talked the scouting director in allowing them to go.

Recap:

Now that is 644 scouts. I am I missing something? Or this is just amazing and it has to be a record. Now if he would have said "About, or Around" but he said "Literally"

Good insight, and again consider the source of this information. We're all aware how that works
Last edited by Dillon
quote:
Originally posted by Newscout:

Recap:

There are 300 D1 schools playing college baseball, add in D2s, D3s, Jucos and 10-20 per MLB team and the number easily grows to 1,000+.

You guys are just trying to discredit this individual for some reason, and it comes across as pure jealousy. I guess there are those that try to find what's right in something, and others who try to find what's wrong with it. It takes all to make the world go 'round and everyone is entitled to their opinion...I was just trying to let you know the statement that originally got this whole thing going (600 scouts at a game) was not an exageration.
Last edited by doubleday
Just so I'm clear, I take issue with the statement of scouts don't go to high school baseball games and the ONLY way to get noticed is in the summer. Two of my players are getting area code invites because of the scouts being there all spring to watch our pitcher. I've told my players for years that they need to catch on with a good organization in the summer and fall. The reason...it's the best time for college coaches to see you. Have we had college coaches at our games this spring, yes. But the summer and fall are the best times to be seen by college coaches. I think that is something 90% of us would agree with.
I can't resist.

We had less than 5 scouts at most Feb. HS tournament games involving teams with a player or two each who might get a look. Most were juco or just MLB part timers.

In all likelihood most of the "prospects" were seen at Jupiter, Farmington, etc.... and this was a cross check.

These guys are not Mickey Mantle, Henry Aaron, Willie Mays, etc.... They just want to compete at the next level and have a better chance to be seen if they play in front of more folks in the summers.

If you throw 95+ (or 87+ and lefty) you will get a look no matter where you are, even Big Lake!

Is it better to be in the summer showcases with more scouts? YES

Do you have to? No, not if you are Clayton Kershaw

Leave it please and if you love HS baseball so much give us some insight into the local teams in your area and how you think they will do this weekend and what kids are gamers and love to play and how much fun it is to watch them.

Most of them will be done after their senior year and have those memories we all do now.
This thread really touched a nerve. I do believe there are a lot of good "select ball" coaches that are doing what they are doing to help kids.

However, there are several very good "business men" running these organizations...like the one on Channel 8. They are successful chasing and making dollars by exploiting kids and parents that are desperately trying to get their kids to the next level.... we all know that! The way to make money is charge extreme prices because the perception in America is if it costs alot it must be better. If a hitting instructor charges 30 dollars and one charges 75 then the one charging 75 dollars must be better.

Same logic with High School coaches in parents minds. HS coaches must not be as good because they don't make money off of their profession.

Some of these organizations should be careful when tearing down H.S. Baseball because HS coaches still have leverage and could tell their players they don't want them playing for certain people... and the kids would do it! But, HS coaches won't do that because most of them have high standards and ethics.

Select coaches should thank UIL guidelines/restrictions for their success because I guarantee if H.S. coaches were allowed to coach their kids in the summer that it would change the landscape of select baseball as we know it.
quote:
Originally posted by 4loveofgame:

The way to make money is charge extreme prices because the perception in America is if it costs alot it must be better. If a hitting instructor charges 30 dollars and one charges 75 then the one charging 75 dollars must be better.

The guy charging 30 dollars is a poor businessman.
Last edited by RLB
First of all, I love high school baseball. We have a crew of guys running around the country scouting high school games. They are on the road right now. If there is a well known prospect the game will get scouted heavily. If there are no well known prospects it’s not likely there will be any scouts in attendance. That doesn’t make HS baseball any less important. The game is not about how many scouts are in the stands.

Regarding Jupiter WWBA in October. There is no question that it has the highest number of scouts, college coaches and agents of any baseball event in the world. Most every scouting director, crosschecker, area scouts, and nearly every major college will have two coaches there. They would have more but two is the NCAA rule. Many of the top Jucos are also there. The MLBSB is also there. And there are well over 100 agents, from Boras group on down. Most MLB clubs will send 14-15 or more scouts, some send 20 or more. We know because they register ahead of time and place orders for golf carts and scout packets. We run out of golf carts every year and many have to walk between fields.

In the interest of accuracy; 100% of all MLB scouts is not 240 scouts. Actually there are roughly 1,000 fulltime MLB scouts. For convenience let’s use the Texas Rangers as an example. In addition to the Scouting Director and assistant and 3 crosscheckers, they have 8 pro scouts, 18 area supervisors, plus some international guys. So the Rangers have over 30 fulltime scouts and that doesn't count the part time guys. The Rangers even put a scout team in the tournament. Some clubs have more scouts than the Rangers. The Blue Jays sent 36 scouts to Jupiter last year which was a record amount for one club.

I’m not sure how many are at any one game, but if a game is played at night it is very likely 600 or more easily could be watching that game. There are only 4 games being played at that time and there are some 900 scouts and recruiters at the event. When all the fields are being used, you might have a game with a dozen or two dozen scouts while another game could have 300 or more. I remember back when Scott Kazmir pitched it was during the day with all fields being used, but there were around 400 scouts at that game he was pitching in.

The breakdown goes kind of like this, around 450 MLB scouts and 450+ college coaches plus over 100 agents. You would have to be there to really get the picture. It is very unusual! Those that have been there know. I can see why it would be hard to understand if a person had not been there.

That said, why compare it to high school baseball? These two things serve completely different purposes. One is a strict scouting event and the other is the greatest baseball of all IMO. The number of scouts isn’t what makes a game important. I love it when our guy is the only scout at the game and nobody knows who he is.

BTW, for those who want to jump on this as some kind of money making promotion, please don’t go there. There is absolutely no reason to promote this event in October. There are well over 200 teams that we have to turn away every year. That has caused many headaches and lost friendships that are not so good for business.

Not trying to argue anything, but this is one subject I happen to know something about.
Newscout,

I'm confused by some of your statements. First you claim that each MLB club has 8 fulltime scouts. Obviously that is completely wrong. (not even close)

Then you claim that you've been to Jupiter 14 times. While I can't argue that point, you sure weren't at the event in question 14 times. it has only been held in Jupiter 11 times.

Then you claim "they don't have 600 scouts", yet everyone who really has been there knows better.

Then you question a picture and say you counted 72 people including parents. Anyone who was there knows there were scouts lined up from foul pole to foul pole 2 deep. There really is no room for parents to see the game when it gets like this. They pretty much have to sit in the stands.

Guess you weren't there last year or you wouldn't be questioning this. Of those 14 times you've been there, were any of them actually at this event? There are a lot of other events held at Jupiter.

Why do some people need to claim so and so is not telling the truth. It is what it is and if someone was not there, I don't understand the need to accuse someone of lying. It just makes you sound foolish to those that actually were there.

Ask Randy Taylor or Ron Hopkins what it's like there.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PGStaff:

There are well over 200 teams that we have to turn away every year. That has caused many headaches and lost friendships that are not so good for business.

QUOTE]

You know PG, I never thought about that aspect. I can only IMAGINE the conversations and meetings you have had to endure with someone/some team wanting/begging to let them come play. I also know it had to be absolutely agonizing for you to turn each and every one away over the years. Gosh, I don't envy you for this at all. I'm not sure I could have done it to be honest.

On another note, I'd sure like to be a golf cart mechanic that week in Jupiter! Can you say Gold Mine?! lol

YGD
Mr. PG,

First off this was not about Perfect Game. I am a big fan and Jupiter is a GREAT EVENT, without a doubt.

Here comes the butttt.. If you want to call me out on my math. I gave credit to 8 scouts per MLB team attending the "GAME". Key word the Game not the event. If you think for one second that I believe that 240 pro "paid" scouts (not PG paid, MLB paid) was watching one game I have some ocean front property in AZ you can buy.

Also I don't have to ask Randy about your event but if you would like I bet I can name 20 Texas scouts that wasn't there. I know for a fact most area guys do not attend. Only Fl area guys. So out of your 450 scouts wouldn't you say my math of 240 is generous?

Now to answer your question about 72 people in the picture is simply stating a fact. You count and see what you come up with. And then tell me that another 528 scouts where down the foul lines? That's the picture that should have been taken.

Lastly agents do not count. They have NO control over the draft and do not get kids scholarships. They look like scouts and great for your event to have them walking around with one of your scout booklets but don't count. I am a little confused why you even mentioned them.
Link copied to your clipboard.