McKinney Qualifier.......Dallas Giants
Orange County Qualifier..Trombly Cubs
Host.....................McKinney Mavericks
Central Region...........Midland Braves
South Plains Region......DBAT
South East Region........Florida Pokers
West Region..............California Rockies
North East Region........????????
North Central Region.....Mid Michigan ??????? (can't remember right now.)
Puerto Rico

bracket is located on www.themmws.com

Tuesday....player/team check in.

Players Welcome Dinner and Skills Challenge

Wednesday...games and opening ceremonies at 7:00 p.m. at Al Alford Field.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'll tell you right now the Midland Braves will probably be able to hit the baseball a ton. Last year their line-up was very strong with power, but one stud pitching performance shut them down. My bet is on DBAT or a team from California. Most likely because I feel the best baseball represented in this world series comes from Dallas and California. Last year the California Angels (if I remember correctly) gave us one great game that required a 7th inning come back.

This is all my opinion which isn't much to count for. I think DBAT will have to get some great pitching performances to win (possibly from unlikely candidates), there is no doubt they will hit. I still say the Giants do not have enough depth at pitching... CC can't throw every game. Having said that, if they get to the final with him on the mound, they have a great chance.
I think this will be the best Mav's team that's been put together for the MMWS in a while. Solid pitching staff with some pop at the plate, and some speed on the bases. Don't count these guys out to put together a pretty strong run.

Nice article on the Mavs below:

Crosstown Connection

Mavericks Use Intracity Rivalries To Create Fun Atmosphere

By Brent Yarina
E-Mail This Author
McKinneySports.net Staff Writer
Published: July 28, 2006 01:41 AM

Coach Robert Spengler likes to think the McKinney Mavericks put school allegiances aside when it comes time for the Mickey Mantle World Series.

Spengler’s players from McKinney ISD’s three baseball programs say otherwise.

“There’s a lot of trash talking,” McKinney Boyd pitcher Bryan Kinard said. “I’ll tell you that much right now.”

“We already have bets and promises on who is going to win district, which we are if you wanted to know,” said Spengler’s son Caleb, who attends McKinney.

“It’s all part of the rivalry,” McKinney’s Alex Baker said.

Thirteen of the Mavericks 16 players come from McKinney, McKinney North or Boyd. McKinney features five players, while North and Boyd each boast four.

The Mavericks open the Mickey Mantle World Series at 8 p.m. Wednesday against Puerto Rico at Al Alford Field.

Robert and head coach B.J. Dixon said McKinney’s collection of intracity talent gives it an advantage over the other World Series teams, which consist of star players from throughout entire states. Many of the Mavericks have played on the same team since they were 8.

“They throw schools out the window and play,” Robert said. “They come together and they’re Mavericks.”

The players admit the trash talking is all in good fun and say it helps build camaraderie.

“We’re friends throughout the whole year,” North’s Brandon Hollabaugh said. “You don’t really get to see them a lot during the [high school] season, so it’s kind of fun to see them out here.”

“It’s actually kind of fun to play with the guys you play against during the high school season,” Baker said. “Instead of always going against them and not liking them, you can build relationships and get to know them better.”

Robert said the relationships built during the summer add fire to the intracity rivalries.

“It’s a lot more fun to beat a friend than a rival,” he said. “That’s where these guys are during the [district] season. ...You want to beat [your summer teammates] so bad because you like them.”

“You want to play better when you see them out there,” Hollabaugh said. “You want to show them up a little bit.”

“I’ll see my friends [in the batter’s box] when I am pitching and I’ll just start grinning,” Kinard said. “I can’t help it.”

That doesn’t keep the players from enjoying the time they have as teammates -- even if it is at the expense of making fun of one of the other schools.

“We give each other a hard time,” Kinard said. “Say, if someone makes an error, we’ll say, ‘Well that’s what’s going to happen at McKinney this year.’”

“Boyd gets it a lot,” Baker said. “We tell them that they aren’t going to be very good because they have no seniors.”

MCKINNEY MAVERICKS ROSTER
1 Phillip Sears - McKinney Boyd
7 Clint Harris - Allen
10 Marcos Bravo - McKinney North
11 Bryan Kinard - McKinney Boyd
12 Brandon Hollabaugh - McKinney North
14 Josh Robertson - McKinney Boyd
15 Caleb Spengler - McKinney
19 Devin Arnold - McKinney
20 Alex Baker - McKinney
21 Tyler Dowell - McKinney
22 Matt Lackie - McKinney North
27 Ryan Craighead - Wylie
30 Landry Davis - Frisco
32 Ryan Serr - McKinney
34 Daniel Curnutt - McKinney Boyd
35 Tyler Steed - McKinney North
OP

I love that last line about Boyd.. I dont think North should count there Chickens to early. Boyd has some very good Baseball Players.. Seniors are overrated.. Smile.. You should have had your boy play at Boyd OP.. The facilities over there are awesome..Good luck to the Mavs I'll be out there watching them launch balls in the Day Care parking lot.. Hope the HR derby isn't the same time Mommy and Daddy are picking up the little ones.
quote:
Just a note of interest, the MMWS host team has won their first game the last 3 years. This years team looks to have a lot of pitching depth and talent.

I hope the tradition continues with ML on the bump for that game. Should be exciting stuff. I hate to admit this, but I have never been to a MMWS game before. I'm looking forward to seeing my first one Wed. night.
quote:
OP

I love that last line about Boyd.. I dont think North should count there Chickens to early. Boyd has some very good Baseball Players.. Seniors are overrated.. .. You should have had your boy play at Boyd OP.. The facilities over there are awesome..Good luck to the Mavs I'll be out there watching them launch balls in the Day Care parking lot.. Hope the HR derby isn't the same time Mommy and Daddy are picking up the little ones.

It's going to be fun watching these kids develop over the next couple of years. I know Boyd has some strong talent coming up in the younger grades. Coach Milam will have a lot of great kids to choose from for sure.

North should have a good squad this coming spring with the guy's returning, the addition of ML and move-in Trey Sorrells (he's a stud).

McKinney High will have one of their best teams in a few years in my opinion with the group of juniors they have to pick from.

Great times ahead for all McKinney HS teams. I can't wait to see them all do very good. I just hope North can come out on top for personal reasons of course!!

See ya'll this week!
The World Series should be awesome. Our 16U team, Trombly Cubs, is headed there and looking forward to the experience. Unfortunately (or fortunately) our 18U team, Trombly Braves, will be in Farmington for the Connie Mack World Series so I will not be able to be in Texas w/ our 16U guys. Too bad the dates don't allow you to do both because it would have been great to be able to experience the Mickey Mantle and Connie Mack World Series this summer.

Good Luck to all of the players and team that will be there. It should be a great week of baseball.
First day match ups

Central Region...........Midland Braves
Orange County Qualifier..Trombly Cubs

North Central Region.....Mid Michigan Tigers
West Region..............California Rockies

Host.....................McKinney Mavericks
Puerto Rico

North East Region........Ontario Blue Jays
South Plains Region......DBAT

McKinney Qualifier.......Dallas Giants
South East Region........Florida Pokers

bracket is located on www.themmws.com
quote:
Originally posted by Johnnie_LeMaster:
OP

I'm looking forward to seeing your son pitch.I have heard a lot of good things about him. Flo said he is a good one.Good luck in the MMWS. BTW where is that kid Sorrels from, who does he play for? Thanks J

Trey is coming here from Greenville. He has been their starting catcher since his freshman year. He was 1st team all-district catcher as a freshman.

He plays for the Dallas Mustangs-Gustafson 16U this summer. He's the kid that hit 3 HR in one game a couple of weeks ago that I did a thread on.

He'll probably have to play another position though this year because of FO's son returning for his senior year. He can play 3rd and 1st as well.
quote:
Originally posted by TromblyBaseball:
The World Series should be awesome. Our 16U team, Trombly Cubs, is headed there and looking forward to the experience. Unfortunately (or fortunately) our 18U team, Trombly Braves, will be in Farmington for the Connie Mack World Series so I will not be able to be in Texas w/ our 16U guys. Too bad the dates don't allow you to do both because it would have been great to be able to experience the Mickey Mantle and Connie Mack World Series this summer.

Good Luck to all of the players and team that will be there. It should be a great week of baseball.

Great problem to have, huh Steve? Congratulations to you and your organization!
It is a great problem to have. One of our former coaches, Mark Flatten, moved to Texas last summer. He helped start the Trombly Baseball program 3 years ag. He is coaching the Blue Sox this summer in the TCL and lives 5 minutes from McKinney. It would have been great to go out there and see him and Texas. I have never been to Texas and Mark has been trying to get me to move my family out there!

FYI, Mark is a very good coach and is looking for a travel orgaization to coach with. Please let me know if there are any teams looking for a coach as Mark would be great for any program.
quote:
Originally posted by Melynda:
OP -- don't mess with any of the Puerto Rican fans @MMWS ... if you do, they will show up the next game with a voodoo doll that will have a striking resemblence to yourself!! Wink

Melynda,

The mom's on the team have been getting water bottles to fill with rocks, coins, etc. to make as much noise as possible. I appreciate the heads up on any messing with the PR's.
Congratulations to the Trombly Cubs for winning the team competition at the 16U Mickey Mantle World Series today in McKinney, Texas. They received a trophy and a $150 team dinner one night this week.

There were several events and points were awarded for each event and totaled up. After the completion of all the events the Cubs had the most total points!

Here are the events:

-HR Derby-
We got 2nd Place.
Our players that participated were:
Brooks Pounders-RHP/3B ('09 Riverside Poly)
Bryan Nicholson-LHP/1B ('07 Pacifica)

-Around the horn-
We got 1st Place.
Our players that particpated were:
Ronnie Shaeffer-C ('08 Pacifica)
Billy Silvestri-C/SS ('07 Pacifica)
Austin Barnes-SS ('08 Riverside Poly)
Jack Marder-2B ('09 Newbury Park)
Nick Torres-RHP/3B ('08 Edison)

-OF Relay-
We got 2nd Place.
Our players that particpated were:
Aaron Gates-LHP/OF ('08 Orange Lutheran)
Richard Stock-C/OF ('09 Agoura)
Kevin Chambers-LHP/OF ('09 Capo Valley)
Derek Collins-1B/OF ('08 Esperanza)

-Fastest around the bases-
We didn't do too well.

Congratulations guys and good luck this week!
I interviewed Mark Flatten before the 2005 season at the Rock. We were full and no spots open but I was impressed with his knowledge and understanding of the game. He's a great guy and I second that nomination for anyone looking for a great coach in any select situation. I think he coaches in Frisco. Been trying to keep up with him.
Anyone know how our "local" teams/players fared in the skills competition?

Did I look at the schedule right? Is there a local team triple header this afternoon/evening?

Does anyone know if there are pitching rotations or will it be plug in whomever? Especially the local teams.

OP, is ML still scheduled for today? Do you know when AB is scheduled?
ML will pitch against the team from Puerto Rico today at Alford.

DBAT won the base-running competition and did well in the HR derby before losing in overtime to the Trombly team. They finished in the top half in Outfield relay -- and looked sharp in the Around-the-horn contest.

The Giants also did well in several of the events, including the long-ball competition.

No news on the pitching selections for the Giants or DBAT ---- I might speculate Smile --- Cain versus the Florida Pokers and Cunningham vs the Ontario Blue Jays.

It will be a great day of baseball in McKinney ----- there are no weak teams in this group.
Last edited by Panther Dad
Anyone who has the chance to be at the MMWS please post info here. It's killing me to not be able to be there with our 16U guys and I will be checking in with our other coaches/parents as well as checking here for updates. Our 18U team leaves for Farmington in the morning and having been there last year I have an idea of what to expect in terms of competitition. However, this is our 1st trip to the MMWS and I do not know what to expect there. I know that we have a good team and I am proud of players for the way they have played this summer. They really are a good group of kids (not talking about baseball ability). It will be great to see how they do against some of the best competition in the country in terms of 16U teams. Win or lose, it will be a great experience for our players, coaches, and parents and ending our summer at the World Series is awesome.

Good Luck to all of the players and teams participating!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.