Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It'll be a little different for us this year.  The D2 university son was at did not renew his scholarship (his grades slipped) so he decided to go back to the junior college and get his AA (he was a few credits shy when he transferred to the 4 year university) before he goes on to different university (that's the plan anyway).  So officially he hung up his cleats, but he's listed as a "student assistant" (volunteer coach) for the JuCo.

It won't quite be the same, but I'm glad he's keeping his hand in the sport he loves.

I should add the D2 university coach still wanted him, but couldn't offer any money.

Last edited by FoxDad

Not to throw a wet rag on this conversation. This will unfortunately be the first spring I will not get to watch my son play baseball since he was 5. He was recovering from ulnar nerve transposition surgery this past September. Everything was going well until last Monday. He threw his first bullpen from the mound and felt a pop. A MRI confirmed out worst fears, torn UCL. I am sitting in his apartment waiting for tomorrow when the TJ surgery is scheduled. 

I wish all of your sons a healthy spring. Never take a single inning for granted. You never know when it will be over. We are hoping for the best, but I'm never again going to take anything for granted.  The next 12 months will likely be the longest of my life.

Son is in good spirits, all things considered. He was pretty upset for the first couple of days. After a couple conversations with his head coach and surgeon he completely changed his attitude and realized that everything happens for a reason. He said he is just ready to get the surgery over with and get to work on the rehab.  

younggun posted:

Not to throw a wet rag on this conversation. This will unfortunately be the first spring I will not get to watch my son play baseball since he was 5. He was recovering from ulnar nerve transposition surgery this past September. Everything was going well until last Monday. He threw his first bullpen from the mound and felt a pop. A MRI confirmed out worst fears, torn UCL. I am sitting in his apartment waiting for tomorrow when the TJ surgery is scheduled. 

I wish all of your sons a healthy spring. Never take a single inning for granted. You never know when it will be over. We are hoping for the best, but I'm never again going to take anything for granted.  The next 12 months will likely be the longest of my life.

Son is in good spirits, all things considered. He was pretty upset for the first couple of days. After a couple conversations with his head coach and surgeon he completely changed his attitude and realized that everything happens for a reason. He said he is just ready to get the surgery over with and get to work on the rehab.  

That's a bummer.  I really wish your son luck with this.

Good luck tomorrow and Merry Christmas!

younggun posted:

Sorry YG! All the best to you and YG Jr. Injuries suck! Continue to encourage him, reflect on the journey and hope for the future. Prayers your way!

FoxDad posted:

It'll be a little different for us this year.  The D2 university son was at did not renew his scholarship (his grades slipped) so he decided to go back to the junior college and get his AA (he was a few credits shy when he transferred to the 4 year university) before he goes on to different university (that's the plan anyway).  So officially he hung up his cleats, but he's listed as a "student assistant" (volunteer coach) for the JuCo.

It won't quite be the same, but I'm glad he's keeping his hand in the sport he loves.

I should add the D2 university coach still wanted him, but couldn't offer any money.

Fox, sorry to hear about the re-route.  Really great that he is able to jump right in to the coaching gig, though.  Keep us in the loop with how that goes.  That will provide him with a whole new set of baseball challenges! 

younggun posted:

Not to throw a wet rag on this conversation...

YG so sorry to hear about that.  I feel your pain.  We'll all be pulling for a successful process and rehab for him. 

It is good to hear that HC has been involved. 

FWIW, when cabbage lost his first college year to surgery, it was a big hurdle to get past the actual procedure.  That seemed to trigger a more tangible countdown to recovery.  Still, the wait between procedure and first date of therapy was a particularly tough period.  Another player who recently had a similar experience found that detailed planning of good reads, career research and other things he COULD do helped considerably.

Last edited by cabbagedad

As a parent of a freshman this year, the Spring 2016 season brings on a lot of excitement as well as the unknown.   Moving from a High School & Travel Ball veteran parent to being a "newbie" again!  Trying to meet upperclass parents who already know everybody, understanding the little nuances of attending games like where are you supposed to park, what to bring, do we get to see the players after games on the road, etc.  But the excitement of seeing our son work to earn a spot on the field at this next level is very exciting!  65 Days until Opening Day!

Sorry to read that younggun - hopefully your son can come back.  Hard to go cold turkey though!  My oldest did the transposition when he was like 14 or 15 and was able to throw/pitch again in HS. While recovering he helped coach my youngest son's minor division team... Funny to seem him throw BP with the other arm...  When my youngest was 14 or 15 he had the decompression surgery...  Now he's on the shelf again after having labrum repair surgery this past September (90% tear, anterior).  He just "threw" for the first time the other day... Well really not throw - more like elbow on glove and flick the ball using just the forearm - 25 times at 25 feet.  Only another 30-40 weeks of rehab.

wow, I hate to hear about the injuries and other reasons players aren't going to be on the field this spring. Just last night a neighbor, former HS teammate of my son and a D2 conference foe, was in the basement. He just got the sling off from a shoulder labrum tear and is already out for the season.

Younggun the best of luck to your son, Foxdad I was hoping to see your son play at next years regional, the best to him in his travels down the coaching road.

Sons team is only 45 days to the opener.

After a 2015 run to the D2 world Series and end of season ranking of #4 its hard to expect to top that. The team lost some key players due to graduation. But after watching some fall scrimmages I don't see much of a drop off in talent. They may have gotten stronger with the addition of some transfers.   7 of the top 8 pitchers return and a redshirt that was one of the top 4 pitchers from two seasons ago returns healthy. 

my son will be a RS-Jr this year, he will be graduating with a biology degree this spring. I am not sure the exact direction he is going with that, his intent is to go into the medical field. If he returns for a 5th year he will also get a sports medicine degree before hitting the post graduate grind.  Last year was his first year as a starter, he was the closer the previous year. Except for a mid season bout with the flu that kicked his butt for a couple weeks he had a pretty good season.

The best of luck to all for the upcoming season. May all of the players stay healthy and the parents get to attend every game!

younggun posted:

I am so sorry to hear that Young Gun!  Fingers Crossed for a speedy recovery!

younggun posted:

I am glad I dropped in to read but not glad to hear the news. 

Sending you a pm.

Approaching this season with uncertainty.

Son is a redshirt senior recovering from shoulder surgery. He just started throwing a few pitches from a mound at half speed, and it's too early to project whether he will pitch this season.

We're excited about the team, which surged last year from its perennial spot in the cellar of their conference to a 35-win season and second place finishes in both the regular season and conference tournament.  They return a senior-laden team that lost only two starting position players to graduation last year.

Son wants to be part of taking the next step with his buddies, but he also knows he has only one season left and doesn't want to pitch until he is truly ready. If he can't pitch this season, there might be a next year: the school compliance officer thinks he could get a hardship waiver, and the coaches say they'd have some scholarship money, though not as much as he's been getting.

He completed his graduation requirements this week, but didn't file to graduate. He will take courses this spring to round out his information systems degree with certificates in networking, web development, and cybersecurity.  Cybersecurity went from an afterthought to his primary vocational interest this past semester--one good professor can have that effect. If he can't play this year, he'll apply for a masters program when the school applies for his hardship waiver.

At this point, he doesn't know what is possible as far as playing this spring, and he's not even sure what he should be hoping for. So he's just working, and we're just waiting.

Son is a freshman at a D1.  Didn't get to play any IF in the fall....just pitched and DH'd.  Had his "meeting" with the pitching coach after the fall and was given some very interesting info....more than we had expected.  Depending on how things go when they get back after the holidays, his role could end up being a lot bigger than he had thought for his freshman year.  Hopefully he'll get back, have a good month and get the news he's hoping for as the season starts

Swamp, yes, uncertainty for your son but he found his career path and is still in position to enjoy the ride just a while longer one way or another - win, win!!!

For my son, I find myself looking back as I look forward.  Going into his RS Jr year, he seems to have already had the full breadth of experiences... a lost year to injury, good Falls, a bad Fall, nearly 200 teammates being cut, a year of earning PT, an all-conference year, three "recruiting" phases and three HC's. 

What could possibly be next?? 

I'm sure the story, for each of our boys here at HSBBW, could be a book.  I'm excited to see how it plays out for him and proud regardless.

PS - I'm sitting here reading Cabbage's calendar schedule provided by his coach for now until first game Feb 5.  Well, he does have Christmas Day and New Years day off

Son's team (Wright State) was in the "got votes" category. Reality of mid major D1, gotta win the league tournament. Playing some teams in the same category early for a series (Georgia and NC State)  and a mid week game with Louisville.

Last year we played several early series with top 10 / 20 teams and did well. Won a game in each series and lead / tied late in all but one of them. It definitely helped the team confidence. Hopefully we can do the same this year.

65 days until "play ball"  

The NCAA standard for D1 student-athletes to be eligible is based on the school's individual minimum GPA for graduation and how many years of school the athlete has completed.

Thus, there is no minimum GPA for a freshman to play in the spring of his first year. A freshman who was a qualifier out of high school only has to meet the NCAA standard of completing 6 credit hours for the fall term to play in the spring.

For subsequent years, their cumulative GPA must be at least 90 percent of the institution’s minimum overall grade-point average necessary to graduate by the beginning of year two, 95 percent of the minimum graduation GPA by year three and 100 percent by year four. So if the school will let you graduate with a 2.0 GPA, you can play as a sophomore with a 1.8 GPA going into your sophomore year.

Academic progress rates don't kick in until the end of the second year.

It's possible the school or the conference may have stricter rules.

Last edited by Swampboy
Swampboy posted:

The NCAA standard for D1 student-athletes to be eligible is based on the school's individual minimum GPA for graduation and how many years of school the athlete has completed.

Thus, there is no minimum GPA for a freshman to play in the spring of his first year. A freshman who was a qualifier out of high school only has to meet the NCAA standard of completing 6 credit hours for the fall term to play in the spring.

For subsequent years, their cumulative GPA must be at least 90 percent of the institution’s minimum overall grade-point average necessary to graduate by the beginning of year two, 95 percent of the minimum graduation GPA by year three and 100 percent by year four. So if the school will let you graduate with a 2.0 GPA, you can play as a sophomore with a 1.8 GPA going into your sophomore year.

Thanks! Good info to be equipped with going forward.

BK_Razorback posted:
Swampboy posted:

Thanks! Good info to be equipped with going forward.

Most schools have higher guidelines for GPA than required by the NCAA as well as academic progress rates. Make sure you understand the schools requirements.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.