Skip to main content

Clemson baseball will be having their annual baseball dinner this saturday with guest speaker Dale Murphy as well as the first annual Fan Fest on Feb 6th. Official practice begins tomorrow.

There are a couple of folks here whose sons are on the team, and I am wishing their players the best of luck for the coming season.

As an FYI, I read that one of our webster's son was ranked #94 freshman. Congrats to Ryley Gilliam. I heard he is the real deal!

Best of luck to all of your sons this season. Enjoy the journey!

Our son called last night, made the travel team for opening weekend, 1 on Friday, Dh on Sat.  Has been  pitching and playing 2nd.  He is 9 hours away in ark. their playing in Okla.  Still 9 hours from Houston.  We are leaving tomorrow afternoon.  So excited, hope he gets on the field but will be good to see him.

Was really just a closer on his hs team and PO only so he has enjoyed all the time in practice.  Coach wants to work him on field to but, said if he decided to go just po they would talk.

He is playing naia.  They have 43 on the team, took 30 this trip.

Safe travels to all.

BS...great feeling and congrats to your son...not easy task to make team and even greater to make the travel squad and to get to play like he is going to. I am sure that he put a lot of hard work into it and now it shows. Go and have a great time watching him...remember that our kids don't want us to 'cheer' too much because it 'embarrass' them (in my case, I don't care with my son, I still cheer like crazy for the team).

Have a great time and drive carefully all the way and enjoy it. Time flies and these moments are really precious (not priceless! because they are still costing money!). 

Son’s team played their opening series last weekend at PG Lakepoint. It is a fantastic facility. Typical opening series, both teams looked a little rusty. Weather was fantastic for January.

It was great to get my baseball fix in, now we wait for two more weeks to see the next game.

Son looked solid for 1st outing. 5IP, 10K, 0BB, 3 hits. He got some nice ink in the PG blog…

http://www.perfectgame.org/blogs/View.aspx?blog=580

Son's team opens the season in... two minutes.  I had a bit of a flashback as I texted him a morning message.  It was the same that I gave him in Little League, all his other sports, Babe Ruth, HS, JC and now at his 4-yr...  it was the same we discussed at length here in a past thread...

"Play Hard.  Have Fun"

Looks like he has beat the odds again and either earned a starting spot or at least a heavy role in the OF rotation.  Of course, as always, that is a moving target and can change in an instant.  Those of you who know his story know how much we consider this all to be just really good gravy.

Best wishes to all your boys and enjoy it!!!!

Last edited by cabbagedad

Son's JC baseball season has already started, and he has made 2 starts. The first start was game 1 of the season, and he was a little off.  He threw 3 2/3 innings and allowed 4 runs, 2 earned.  He got a ND, and the team eventually came back to win.  His second start was much better.  5 innings, 4 hits, 1 walk, and 5 K's.  He was throwing from 88 - 90 in the first 2 innings, but dropped to 85 - 88 thereafter.  He says he still isn't quite there yet, but he feels he is getting stronger every day.  Hopefully his arm will keep making progress, and he can hit his goal of 92 by season's end.  We are going to watch him pitch again on Friday.  Love this time of year!

Little update on son.....been very enlightening.  He's made travel team roster so far for all the games, although several games he only stepped foot on the field to help the outfielders warm up. (He's the only freshman and has a lot to learn and he knows it.)  He did get 1 shot batting in the line up and flied out to center.  Has pinch run and that's about it.  Although it's hard to sit and watch and I'm sure is even harder for our son,  he knows he has to do his time and that he's competing with grown men.  We asked if he still felt the same about the team/coach/decision even though he isn't playing.  His response was "Yes, I trust coach _______ and I know he's got the teams best interest and when he thinks I'm ready he will let me know."  I have seen so much growth in him.  I obviously would love to see him on the diamond, but knowing he's at peace and in his element working towards his life long dream is an amazing feeling.  Don't kid yourself, he wants to be on the field so bad he can't stand it, but he knows in due time.  Coach cut the travel roster team from 30 to 25 and he even beat out a junior who's competing for his same position.  He loves what being part of the team means, the travel, the meals, the bonding between them win or lose.  We haven't missed but 1 game out of the 12 games they have played so far.  Son asks why we come when we know he's not playing?  We tell him because this is a chapter of his life that we wouldn't want to miss on or off the field.  Explaining that his performance isn't indicative of our support and that he's part of a team and we support "his" team.  Parents of those who don't play college sports don't really understand, or maybe we are weird, but my husband and I just choose to be there knowing he will likely step on the diamond little if any at all.   

Last edited by #1bballmomfan

#BBALLMOMFAN - I completely agree.  Son is 9 hours away.. and redshirt freshman.  We still went to opening weekend.  Now it does mean I will probably adjust the number of weekends we visit because he isn't playing but it's about showing your child that the things that matter to him or even her for that matter, are also important to you.  And being that far away, they may not always say it but they are just as happy to see you as you are to see them!

OK I'm busting at the seams.... Last weekend they played to far for me to travel but good friend of mine made the game.  As I mentioned in the update he was able to bat but flied out.  This weekend however DH made the Friday game and I drove the 4.5 hours for the Saturday game that morning.  Was going to leave before 4th game was over due to the 4.5 hour drive in front of me back home, but decided to stick it out I was there and I'd make the best of it and take him out to dinner so I buckled in for the long haul and  boy am I glad I did.  Son got to bat and not only got to bat he went yard....yes first home game to play and my son hit a homerun.  My husband was watching it via computer since our youngest also plays baseball and he was home with him.  I couldn't believe it.  He ended up going 2-2.  Had to bribe a kid candy and coke after he snagged the ball.    Sons team is now 13-3. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DSC_0304: 1st college homerun
Last edited by #1bballmomfan
chefmike7777 posted:

Son first outing yesterday. In fourth threw a pitch 5 feet in front of plate. I knew something was wrong immediately. Coach came right out. Pulled him. MRI next couple of days. It is his elbow. They fear UCL and tommy John surgery. 

He was / is more worried about how I am doing. Ugh!  

Ill let  you all know

So sorry.  Will be praying for good news.

#1bballmomfan posted:

OK I'm busting at the seams.... Last weekend they played to far for me to travel but good friend of mine made the game.  As I mentioned in the update he was able to bat but flied out.  This weekend however DH made the Friday game and I drove the 4.5 hours for the Saturday game that morning.  Was going to leave before 4th game was over due to the 4.5 hour drive in front of me back home, but decided to stick it out I was there and I'd make the best of it and take him out to dinner so I buckled in for the long haul and  boy am I glad I did.  Son got to bat and not only got to bat he went yard....yes first home game to play and my son hit a homerun.  My husband was watching it via computer since our youngest also plays baseball and he was home with him.  I couldn't believe it.  He ended up going 2-2.  Had to bribe a kid candy and coke after he snagged the ball.    Sons team is now 13-3. 

This mini-story brought back memories of my experience (and my father's) a few years back. The long drives, the unknowing of what the weekend would entail for me, the lows of a bad game (or not playing at all... even after my dad drove 8 hours up to Maine !), and of course the times of highlights when everything went right (like your son's homerun).  Congrats on the good game. What conference is he in?

Amazon: Going with the Pitch SE

Author of "Going with the Pitch: Adjusting to Baseball, School and Life as a Division I College Athlete" (Second Edition)

chefmike7777 posted:

Son first outing yesterday. In fourth threw a pitch 5 feet in front of plate. I knew something was wrong immediately. Coach came right out. Pulled him. MRI next couple of days. It is his elbow. They fear UCL and tommy John surgery. 

He was / is more worried about how I am doing. Ugh!  

Ill let  you all know

Oh noooooo. However, he will get a medical waiver and be good to go next spring, which is his draft year.

Go to the Cincinnati Reds doc.

PM coming your way in a bit.

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.