Skip to main content

I have to say one of the most knowledgable hitting instructors that I have had the pleasure to listen to is Justin Stone (White Sox Academy- Lisle, IL). I had the pleasure of listening to him present this past weekend at the Wheaton North High School Baseball Coaches Clinic and he did a great job, like always.

He breaks down the swing better than anyone I have ever heard speak (7 years of attending clinics) on the topic in person. After he concluded speaking, I leaned over to a fellow coach, who has professional baseball experience and over 10 years of coaching experience, and he agreed that Justin was one of the best he has encountered.

I am sure that his knowledge and communication skills make him an excellent instructor.
There are a number of quality hitting instructors in the Chicago area. A few of them truly differntiate themselves. Phil Apostle has done a great job with the New Trier kids. Marco Fajardo has a tremendous reputation. Justin Stone is a great coach, and has a waiting list of players that want to work with him. All of these coaches still have a fire and interest in sharing their skills and background with young athletes. They are still fired up, about helping young ball players reach another level. They still have the purity of the sport at heart. I can not say the same for Steve. I have direct experience with him, his interest is more economic. He worked with one of my two sons for awhile. At one point I tried scheduling a session for both of my ball players which would have been about $45/player (multiple player cost). We scheduled and then he called back indicating that he wanted to add a third player. When I asked for another time, because I did not feel they would get enough reps, he hung up the phone. At first, I thought it was the phone, but he would not pick up the phone. I guess not being able to get $135/hour ****ed him off. "Put it on the board".
quote:
Originally posted by 1958baseballfan:
There are a number of quality hitting instructors in the Chicago area. A few of them truly differntiate themselves. Phil Apostle has done a great job with the New Trier kids. Marco Fajardo has a tremendous reputation. Justin Stone is a great coach, and has a waiting list of players that want to work with him. All of these coaches still have a fire and interest in sharing their skills and background with young athletes. They are still fired up, about helping young ball players reach another level. They still have the purity of the sport at heart. I can not say the same for Steve. I have direct experience with him, his interest is more economic. He worked with one of my two sons for awhile. At one point I tried scheduling a session for both of my ball players which would have been about $45/player (multiple player cost). We scheduled and then he called back indicating that he wanted to add a third player. When I asked for another time, because I did not feel they would get enough reps, he hung up the phone. At first, I thought it was the phone, but he would not pick up the phone. I guess not being able to get $135/hour ****ed him off. "Put it on the board".

anybody here try hubie "magic"? mike huebner
Last edited by wogdoggy

I've seen some great results from Mike Day out of Dupage Training Academy-Carol Stream.  My experience has been genuine investment, integrity and a thorough explanation of drills and purpose.  If the drills are creating other habits that aren't productive for the hitter, he adjusts. He keeps current with new approaches to improving the swing.  I also believe he has spent considerable time with Justin Stone when he was at the Bulls/Sox Academy.  Mike is easy to get along with and will make your hitter improve their approach at the plate, pitch selection/prepare you for off speed-breaking balls.  My only real regret is that we didn't go to him sooner.....

cabbagedad posted:

57, that is because this is a very old thread (2005) that was originally in the Illinois forum.  When the format changed, delineation became much more difficult.  

ah, ok. Makes sense now. Was going to join in with my recommendation for a hitting coach in my area, but was confused.

What the hell. If you need some hitting help in the Twin Cities, look up Gene Larkin. He is awesome...a 6'2" Yoda with a Queens accent.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.