Skip to main content

"Even with the losses, the 2006 group is a good one (certainly appearing much better overall than the 2007 crop). We'll just have to see from there. Maybe the Ags have some surprises in store..."

This is my first post, so I'm trying to get the hang of it.....

Waffle: As for the quote above as well as the one about the Chad Mozingo verbal to A & M as "Interesting",.. you obviously aren't up to speed on the local talent pool in Houston.

David Alleman is a top-notch outfielder who was a huge contributor to the Woodlands success, and Chad Mozingo chose A & M over the likes of Rice, LSU, Baylor, U of H, TCU and UNLV. He batted .389 for his Jr season in the tough 14 5a district (Woodlands, Klein Collins, Klein), was named to Texas Area Code, and is probably the only kid anywhere who can say he hit a grand slam off Kyle Drabek (in district play back in April). Barret Loux is a very good pitcher as well. So, to suggest that Ahrens and Nettune are the only legit kids, is simply not accurate in my opinion.

As for the coaching staff, I heard that a prominent pitcher who played for both Johnson (2 years) and Childress (1 yr) has endorsed the new staff with flying colors. He is moving on to the pros, but I can tell you that I heard that the only regret he has at A & M was that he didn't play for the new staff all three years. He said that these guys are very, very good, and predicts they will win big, and win soon.

Granted, it doesn't help that some great kids have changed their minds, or that Mitch Nelson (incoming Tomball pitcher) may miss his '07 season due to another injury...but point being...I have actually heard great things about thye future of A & M baseball.

Last thing...while the Aggies w/l record was not good last year, have a look at the number of 1-run losses. They didn't exactly get blown out...
Okay, I really hate to get back into the "let's rate the Aggies" since that seems to always cause a slew of posts (pro and con). On the other hand...

(1) Being the big fan of Childress that you are, then you must be troubled by the large number of 1-run losses. You'd think good coaching might make a difference in at least some of those games...

(2) Regarding the hearsay from 1 pitcher, I prefer to rely on some other objective facts such as the # of players transferring out of College Station. If it is so great to be there...

(3) The signing of Mozingo was interesting to me, not because he is not a quality player but because they need to sign some top-level pitching (and they had already signed a # of position players). Mozingo is a quality player. He is reasonably fast (as low as 6.7) with an average to above-average D-1 arm and bat. I have seen him play several times (both games and tryouts). No problem with his talent. I just thought A&M would go another direction.

(4) I do think the 2 best signs so far are Aherns and Nettune. Aherns may very well be the best hitter in Houston. He does not have 'great' foot speed but plays much faster and has a cannon of an arm from the left side of the infield. The biggest risk would be if he moves up as a high draft choice. As far as Nettune, the Aggies need a catcher (their catching was, at best, pathetic last year). Nettune is a top flight catcher now and should only get better. Right now, he is an upgrade there.

(5) I am not as big a fan of the Alleman sign. He is a very good HS player but, as a CF at that level, he is a 7.7 runner. At Area Code, nearly all (if not all) of the catchers ran faster. That is not a D-1 CF. He could DH or move to LF. He does switch hit, and that helps, but, again, I just think they could've spent their scholarship money in a more productive way.

(6) Loux is probably the most projectable sign of the pitchers. Raley and Daab are low velocity guys (82-85) and, while good HS pitchers, I think the jury is out on their ability as D-1 guys. Loux is not a true velocity guy, either, but he does have the body to grow into and develop that type of power. I think Middlebrooks (who I haven't seen much) could be a true sleeper. He has a live arm and some athletic ability to go with it.

(7) I do stand by my earlier comment that I like the 2006 class better (even with the loss of Bussey from La Porte).

Lastly, I understand that I probably ought to move this to another thread "Aggies -- love 'em or hate 'em". Actually, I have feelings neither way although I do know several kids who are (or are going) there to play. This is just my evaluation of how their recruiting season is going so far.

And I'd love for the Aggies to return to the prominence they enjoyed in the Johnson years. It would be a huge plus for Texas collegiate baseball.

And, geez, I know I'm gonna regret opening this can of worms.........
Waffle,

Did you mean Brooks Raley from Uvalde rather than Daley? My son played with his brother Russell Raley at OU and I met Brooks this past year. I had heard that he was a pretty good pitcher and at the time was undecided about his college commitment. I would say the Aggies are definitely getting a pretty good one if it is indeed Brooks Raley.

Ann
Waffle, I think you are on to something concerning A&M. Mozingo is a wonderful player, but it appears to me the Ags need pitching, pitching, and more pitching. With the NCAA going to 5 games a week, how can Childress not go after more pitching. There are two young men, Drake Britton and Ty Stucky, that from what I understand were very interested in A&M. In fact I talked to both dads and they were at one time expecting an offer. But the word on the street is that A&M wouldn't pony up to the bar and even get close to what other schools were offering. Hopefully for the Ags it works out, but I'm one Aggie that would have loved to have seen one (or both) of those lefties pitching from the mound at Olsen Field.
You are correct. The Big 12 is a very good & tough conference. Add in the other major Texas schools (Rice, TCU, etc.) and this is a hot region for baseball. Not to mention San Jac & the other JUCO's.

That draft can hurt as well. If I recall properly, one year A&M had six pitchers drafted. Talk about wiping out your staff.

And then there is that wonderful scholarship allotment for baseball...
quote:

Nice omission of UH. Especially given that UH has quite arguably had a better program than TCU, Baylor and A&M over the last 6-8 years. UH has been closer to reaching Omaha than the aforementioned schools, and in both occasions lost in the super regionals to the eventual champion (Rice and Texas-Austin).

In either 2001 or 2003, I do not readily recall, UH lost 10-12 to the draft.
Last edited by Sox&Stros
Sox&Stros,
It would be hard to argue UH as being better than Baylor. The Bears were in Omaha in 2005. Also, through 2005, Baylor led the Big 12 in winning percentage, number of first or second team All Big 12 selections, number of NCAA Tournament appearances, and most number of major league draft selections. Throw in a nationally recognized facility and I would say BU trumps UH hands down.
quote:
Originally posted by Sox&Stros:

And then there is that wonderful scholarship allotment for baseball...[QUOTE]

Speaking of which, has anybody heard any progress on the NCAA front of expanding the baseball scholarship allotment? I know there has been discussions last year. (see excerpt below from Baseball America article August 2005)

The baseball committee looked at some preliminary models for increasing scholarships in baseball. One proposes raising the limit of 11.7 scholarships to about 14, still to be divvied between several players. The other is more radical, proposing 27 individual scholarships that cover tuition and fees only--leaving the responsibility of paying for housing, food and books on the students. That number was selected because an average of 26.8 players on Division I teams received some sort of scholarship aid in 2005.
The second model with tuition scholarships would tighten the gap between public and private schools.
"A lot of coaches I've talked to are very interested in the tuition concept," Keilitz said. "The one nice thing about it is now cost for all kids is going to be pretty much the same because room and board is pretty much the same between all universities--public and private. (Recruiters) would be selling the school, academics and program tradition--not the cost anymore."
Keilitz will further project these models and present them to the committee at its November meeting in an attempt to get the scholarship package on the legislative cycle in the future.
quote:
It would be hard to argue UH as being better than Baylor. The Bears were in Omaha in 2005. Also, through 2005, Baylor led the Big 12 in winning percentage, number of first or second team All Big 12 selections, number of NCAA Tournament appearances, and most number of major league draft selections. Throw in a nationally recognized facility and I would say BU trumps UH hands down.

Well, let's take a look at head to head competition. I can not find data from the late 90's and 2000. UH made it to regionals in both 99 and 2000 and a super regional in 2000. It looks like Baylor also made regionals those years. UH has placed *many* on All conference teams over recent years, quite a few into the all time record books for college baseball and a few into All-American honors as well. Currently have 20+ in the minor leagues and 4 or 5 playing pro ball.

Nonetheless, I will revise and say the records speak for a relatively equal comparison, far from dominance by Baylor that you assert.

2001--Baylor wins annual series
2002--Houston wins annual series
2003--Baylor wins
2004--Houston wins
2005--Tied, each winning one game
2006--Houston wins

Granted Baylor made to CWS in 2005, but granted UH was the only team in the postseason to beat Rice (2003) or UT (2002) the years they won the CWS. Both times at their respective homes during the super regional. Baylor might have a slight edge with their new field, but it is not far superior to the facilities at UH. The facilities and grounds at UH are quite adequate and good.

Neverthless, UH should not be excluded as a Texas collegiate team that perennially flirts with and frequently cracks the top 25.
Last edited by Sox&Stros

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.