Skip to main content

Itsrosey,
Thanks; hopefully he can now relax and have fun. It was a tough decision for him because he really liked Matt Parrington (Macalester) and Brian Baldea (University of Chicago). In the end, UR came through with a great package for him and sent people to watch him and speak with him, which ultimately made the difference.
Gabe Henriques of Whitney Young will be attending Lawrence University where he will play for Head Baseball Coach Jason Anderson. Anderson came to Lawrence from Grinnell College and also serves as an assistant football coach for Lawrence. He coaches the defensive backs for the football Vikings. He is a 2001 graduate of Grinnell.

Gabe played for the Westlawn Wildcats, Chicago Clubbers and will this summer will be on the roster of the Norwood Blues.

Yesterday was Senior Day at Whitney Young. Coach Cassidy hosted a barbeque and recognized the 9 graduating seniors and their parents after WY won its second CPS Playoff game versus Lincoln Park. It was the last home game for the graduating seniors, 6 of whom have now declared their intentions of where they will be playing college baseball.
Last edited by Dolphin Mom
Congratulations to thw Whitney Young group, they're certainly a good team.
Yesterday was Senior Day at Highland Park. We managed to beat Loyola 15-5.
As far as comits go from the Highland Park players:

Jon Menke University of Rochester
Anthony Kopp- Illinois Wesleyan
AJ Nathan- Lawrence University
Brian Evans - Elmhurst
Bryce Codell - Swarthmore
Dolphin Mom, it's the NorWOOD Blues. I guess you'll get it right after Jason picks up a couple of wins.

Lawrence is getting two good ones with Gabe and AJ. In my opinion they have D1 talent they just don't have the height and weight the big schools look for. But they can both play ball.

I saw U of C play North Central last Sunday. U of C has a lot of talent. Trace Capps, who does have D1 size, is lighting it up there. Josh played with him when they were 15 on a travel team. He was good then and he has continued on. Cinamon will fit in and help them out.
Thanks for the spelling correction. I will fix that. Anyway, the Head Coach for St. Lawrence (Jason Anderson) actually came to watch a WY game a few weeks ago. He is a very impressive up and coming young baseball guy. I would recommend to any high school player or parent that they consider the many fine D III programs for baseball opportunities post high school.

St. Lawremce really got a good one with Gabe.

St. Lawrence plays in the same Midwest Conference as Grinnell. Coach Anderson was a three-sport standout for the Grinnell Pioneers; Anderson was an All-Midwest Conference cornerback on Grinnell's 1998 conference championship football team. He served as team captain of Grinnell's 2001 MWC championship basketball team, which also captured the MWC Tournament title and played in the NCAA Division III Tournament. An outfielder on the baseball team, Anderson belted a game-winning grand slam to give Grinnell the 2000 MWC South Division championship. I am sure that Gabe will learn a lot playing for him.

Anyway, there are just too many things going on with baseball playoffs, prom, graduations, college enrollmemts, etc, etc. to get the spelling right.

Best wishes to the Class of 2009......It is a happening time!
Last edited by Dolphin Mom
All I can say is congrats to all the 2009 players and their college choices. I will be busy next year checking all the college websites, as I've seen many of the players as Jon has played against many of them starting as a nine year old. I'm looking forward to this summer as he plays with the Norwood Blues and we can sit and enjoy the games and talk with many of the players and their families.
Next week it starts all over again, Best of luck to all.
I'm especially interested in watching Scott Firth, as Jon played against him many times and with him a couple of times. I played baseball and basketball with Firth's dad Bruce back in the early to mid '70's.
Last edited by BBFan58

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.