Skip to main content

I don't think there is anything wrong w/ shooting for a D-1 scholarship.....however, having been around parents/players/coaches for many years it just appears to me that many, many people are choosing a college for the wrong reason.

I cannot tell you how many perplexed faces I have seen when son #2 tells people he does not want to go to a D-1/4 year school. It gets tiring. It tells me they don't understand......
I'll bet that does get some looks...

Buddy was D3 all American DT in football. His son was All State last year DE. Offers are flooding in for son...doesn't want to play football in college, he's getting a full academic ride instead and that's what he wants.

As a player, I never could understand it. As a father I understand it completely. Funny how perspective changes importance.
bballdad1954,
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply wanting to play D1 ball has anything to do with going pro. You are correct in that it could be a goal, which is fine. However, there are plenty of people who seem, at least by what they've said, that they're disappointed if their son plays anything less than D1. I just hope we send the correct meassage to our kids, that's all.
CPLZ-

Lots of looks - doesn't help living in Naperville either.

Interesting story. Kids giving up sports after high school probably happens more than you think.

My high school team mate got drafted in the 6th round, signed, played one season and came home for good. He became a firefighter and did OK for himself!

Remember George "Boomer" Scott? Red Sox/Brewers in the 70's? He came over to our house for dinner during Spring Training when I was in high school. I remember him telling us he almost quit 3 times when he was in the Minors. Homesick! His mom talked him out of it. Maybe he would have been a firefighter too, you never know!!!
Jason Ormond will be attending D-III Grinnell College and will play for Coach Tim Hollibaugh (15th Season) where he will be a RHP and play 1B. The 2009 player roster represents 16 different states.

The Grinnell Pioneers opened their season in the Metrodome in Minneapolis with two games versus Carleton College. Grinnell is now playing its early Spring season schedule in Fort Pierce, Florida.
Last edited by Dolphin Mom
[quote]Reply
some info on being a preferred walk on Realistically, you probably need to be a "preferred walk-on" to even have a chance at making the team. I don't know if you have talked to the coaching staff already and if they asked you to come to the school, without the promise of a scholarship, and try out for the team.
If you are not a preferred walk on, and you really want to be a part of the team, I would suggest trying to meet with one of the coaches prior to the tryouts. Some teams keep a player or two in walk-ons to be a manager. This might give you a chance at working out with the team and then maybe impressing the coaching staff enough where they might put you on the active roster next year. Also, a coach will keep a walk on who might have a very good academic record (GPA, etc.) because that will boost the teams GPA throughout the year. That is important for the coaching staff and school (Team GPA). I don't know if you could fit into that. If you do, it would be helpful for the coaches to be aware of this.
Finally, I am just trying to help you realize what is ahead. If you are a preferred walk on already, go into the tryout making sure you run your best 60 time (coaches love speed so work on sprinting prior to tryouts) and just bust it everywhere you go on the field. If not, meet with the coaches. Let them know who you are. Go into it with nothing to lose and look for any way to be apart of the team if you want it bad enou
The Baylor coaches pursued Steve thruout the summer and fall ...even met with the Dalportos down in Jupiter . I know ...i was there . I highly doubt that they would go thru this process of recruiting a kid from chicago area all the way down to texas if they did not believe he would be a regular contibutor to the program eventually . Im sure they could fill their roster spots with kids from their own area if thats what they were looking to do . Steve will be successful because he can compete at that level ...Baylor also believes that .
Last edited by Mr. Nobody
mr nobody, wasn't saying dalporto couldn't compete or wasn't pursued by them, just that he turned down some offers to go somewhere that didn't offer him a scholarship. i admire the desire, just hope it pays off for him. thats a pretty important decision and one that many high schoolers face. go somewhere that offers, maybe not a big time program, but a spot and some money versus the desire to attend a school as a walk on. many kids will face similar situations.
Keep in mind that the walk-on player will have to be clearly better than the scholarship players at his position to get significant playing time. This is just the way the world works. It's not always fair.
In many cases the invited walk-on player is given the use of the same resources as the scholarship players. Things such as weight room usage times, training staff, dorm assignments (the walk on will pay a dorm fee (board), use of the athletic dining room (again the walk-on will pay), athletic department tutors, athletic department academic advisors among other items.
NCAA non-scholarship players do not sign a National Letter of Intent. The LOI comes into play only when scholarship monies are involved.
The same is true for NAIA and NJCAA letters of intent.
Some schools require all players to sign a "code of conduct" type of agreement, this applies to both scholarship and non-scholarship players. This agreement is a "one way" document that allows the school to terminate the players involvement with the baseball program for violations of team rules.
The signing of one of these "conduct" agreements does not prohibit a player from transferring to another school.
In the case of ALL invited walk-on players the acceptance of the initial offer to be an invitee is a verbal commitment. There are no binding written agreements involved. A player is free to sign a scholarship offer with another school after verbally agreeing to walk on at the first school. I will leave the moral and ethical debate on this issue up to the individuals and their families.
As we have discussed on this site before -- Being a walk-on player can be a great experience for some, for others it is not. I suggest that the player and his family research a school's, and the head coaches history of playing walk-ons before agreeing to do so.
In some cases it is better to get a small scholarship at a lesser baseball power or a junior college than it is to be a walk-on at a major college baseball program.
The name of the game is "PLAYING TIME", all players ultimately want to play, not sit on the bench. Being invited to walk-on makes a big difference, just be sure to do your homework.
St joe

I doubt that you know any pertinent facts about DalPorto's situation with Baylor. Every player's situation is different and independent of each other .

As far as the schools that you say Dalporto rejected , i doubt that you know anything at all about that too .

A player who receives the minimum 25% has just a good of chance of grabbing the bench as does the walk on player ...makes no difference once they hit the field .
http://baylorbears.cstv.com/sp...c-rel/111208aab.html

cplz you are a moderator and can see personal info. the post at 3;47 was directly from this site. I am also an adult and can communicate with anyone. I didn't realize that personal information was required to post. Dalporto is a great player, just questioned his move turning down some scholarship money to play for a big time program, his competition is above link the Baylor 2009 age NLI signees kids who received scholarships hope it works out because it's likely the scholarship kids will get preferential treatment, when he coulld have played at a school that offered.
cplz, when I turned 18 I considered myself an adult. the choices people make are interesting and can be a worthwhile discussion, why are you trying to get me to say something negative here? lots of kids are facing similar situaions. do I take the money from a smaller school or go and try to make it against the top teams in the country. maybe get some money the second year. why is this being blown up into something? why so sensitive?
stjoe--

I get what you are saying. Some people like to pick apart every word of a comment just to look at themselves writing on the screen. DalPorto is a decent high school ballplayer, and while I do hope that he does well

***Edited by Moderator***

*Moderator Note - Saying negative things about HS players, their college choices, or their prospects is not appropriate content and will be edited*

Best of Luck
Last edited by CPLZ
Many players receive a better financial package thru academic scholarship $$ and need based $$ than if they were to accept some sort of athletic scholarship package . The bottom line is that Dalporto will be in a Baylor uniform regardless of what type of scholarship he is receiving.

Its funny how someone like st.joe appeared here on this board just in the nick of time to tell us what he thought of dalporto's college choice . Its nobody's business but the dalporto family.

If you cant just say something like " congratulations " then just shut the bleep up .

Ballyal

why the negativity toward someone you know nothing about ?

Wow

a kid makes his college choice and adults come on here and level criticism and question it ?? what the heck is that about ?

Why not just worry about your own maine south squad and those problems
Why does the % chance of playing in college matter, when the % chance of playing for a living after college is practically zero?

Why can't a baseball player's primary choices for attending a college be the degree, prestige of the degree and university, location etc. And how much your going to play tertiary, or even last?

How many of the kids are picking their college of choice based upon what the baseball program will provide as the primary reason?

How many kids would select to be a walk-on and get limited playing time at Northwestern U, vs starting at Eastern South Dakota St?

Which degree will better prepare him to rule the world?
Last edited by Tuzigoot
Tuzi ....I always advise a kid to pick a school because you like the school. There are too many things that can happen in baseball. Injury,get cut,trouble balancing academics. You have to be at a school you like to continue your education....But,IMO, if you take baseball away from a kid who has done it all his life you risk losing interest in school and will find something to take it's place. Sometimes that's a good thing,sometimes it's not. That's why it doesn't matter where you play D1,2,3,NAIA,JUCO or Club ball....as long as you play and continue to do the things that got you through HS.
As a Baylor grad I can personally vouch for the fact that Steve Delporto made a great decision. Great adademic school, great program, weather, facilities,...

Also, if he is better than the next guy he will play, period. Scholarship dollars will make no difference. I've followed Baylor baseball a long time and I can tell you that you could assemble a couple of all Big 12 teams with guys who played for just books. I know nothing of Steve's scholarship situation, but I know that Baylor routinely brings in academic types every year who used to get books as well. With the required 25% rule now kids won't be able to sign a LOI and get that extra perk. But, many have gone on to become outstanding players at Baylor. With the high cost of a Baylor education, these type of kids are often what make your program. College baseball is many times such a **** shoot in terms of bringing in guys you assume will be major contributers. I've seen high dollar baseball scholarship guys not pan out while a 1 percenter or purely academic guy emerges as a leader. It happens and will continue to.

Again, great choice by Mr. Delporto. I wish him luck.

Go Bears!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.