Skip to main content

I don't think anything substantial has come out beyond the top 25 according to Baseball America..

1. Arizona State
2. Vanderbilt
3. Georgia
4. Kentucky
5. Florida
6. Texas A&M
7. UCLA
8. Arkansas
9. Texas Christian
10. Oregon
11. Mississippi
12. Texas
13. Clemson
14. Virginia
15. Cal State Fullerton
16. Wichita State
17. Fresno State
18. Stanford
19. Oklahoma State
20. Louisville
21. Pepperdine
22. Southern California
23. North Carolina State
24. Florida State
25. Duke
itsrosy,
Players at D III schools don't sign anything. Although the coaches recruit the players, the coaches rarely have any pull with admissions so they have to wait to see if a player gets admitted to the school. Once he does then he goes out for the team in the fall. My son applied to 8 schools and has been accepted at the University of Chicago and also the University of Rochester and is waiting to hear from the others before he decides. Each coach calls him and writes him at least once a week. He has visited all but 1 of the schools, and the coaches at 3 of the schools arranged for him to stay overnight with the players, go to a class or 2 and hangout. Everyone told him to stay in touch with admissions, find reasons to call admissions so he keeps his name in their minds. Rick Lessman, coach at Washington University, even told him that it is a hard school to get into and to call admissions every week. He claimed that sometimes they do him a favor and admits a student that he wants.
I saw Jordan got a hit the first time up! Way to go Jordan.
Last edited by BBFan58
There are NLI type documents for every level of sports that offers athletic scholarships. That doesn't mean that all institutions participate, i.e. the service acadamies do not participate in NLI. So for JC div 1 & 2 where scholarships exist, there are signings. However an NLI for a JUCO is not binding to D1. There are players that sign NLI's for both. Thier only commitment is that if they go to that division, they are committed to that institution.
LPbaseball44,
Do you remember if the LOI was generated by Harper or the NJCAA? I ask, because I didn't think the NJCAA D3 had such a document, but could be wrong.

It's not uncommon for institutions to produce their own document for signing purposes, but they are non bindng. This happens some times with D1 recruited walk ons as a way to show a form of commitment to the player.
While the LOI is for divisions that offer scholarships, IMO, there should be some kind of commitment whenever "free" money is offered in any form.

Often DIII colleges will offer an institutional grant to an athlete. Usually there are only one or a few of these available. So the grant can't be offered to every potential athlete. Once the athlete is offered that grant as part of his financial package, it seems he should at some point, have to make a firm commitment. To have that athlete not make a commitment and then change his mind, can adversely affect the school making the offer.

Maybe there is something in place to address this situation. Even without athletic scholarships there are athletes getting some sweet deals from small colleges. I’ve seen players capable of playing DI or DII end up at DIII only because it involved a much better financial package.
Last edited by PGStaff
So your kid wants to get an Associate's degree, a 2 year degree, and let's say, wants to be an electrician. So he is then supposed to go to D-1 just to play baseball?

This obsession with D-1 baseball is not the only answer for every kid who wants to play baseball after high school. D-3's many times offer things that big D-1's don't. It is the big picture we must consider & not just the name of the school on the wall.

Personally, I would like to see State governments stop paying these football/basketball coaches multimillion dollar contracts and instead pass some of that on to the athletes!!! Too me, that is as outragious as my tax dollars bailing out banks & then these guys paying themselves million $$ bonuses. But what do I know about deals?
The right NAIA school can also be a great option because they can offer pure athletic scholarships. If you look at the top 10 NAIA baseball schools -- their rosters are heavily populated with D1 transfers -- probably kids that fell victimi to "over-recruiting" by the D1's but could drop to NAIA and get better money and a chance to play.
NC42Dad- I gave you a standing ovation for your comment about D1 obsession. 99% (or more)of these kids will end up working for a living. Based on that, education, with a focus for life's work, should be the reason you go to school. Basic math (the girl I copied from in HS is not here, so my figures could be off) will show that there must be 50,000 or more kids playing high school ball. Then, allowing for 4 classes on a team, there would be about 6,000 kids playing college ball from any given class. After that, only 1,500 or so players are drafted in any year. Of those drafted, perhaps 1,400 will never make it out of the minor leagues, particularly if you are not a pitcher.
That means 49,900 or so of the kids graduating each year will need to work.
The bottom line is, the majority of kids from gradutaing claases will never play beyond college.
What does wanting to play D1 have to do with statistics for going pro?

D1 can be the athletic high point and the goal. And while there are many great acedemic inbstitutions at all D levels, most D1 schools provide a pretty good education. Schools like Illinois Michigan Stanford etc.

While you are obviously correct that education with a focus for life's work should be the primary goal, there is nothing wrong with shooting for D1. While a player might have abetter fit at other levels, shooting for the "top" athletic level isn't bad. It just shouldn't supercede all other viable options.

I just don't think because you are shooting for D1 means you are trying to go pro. As a matter of fact, a lot of kids wanting to go pro pass D1 and play JUCO for draft issues.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.