Skip to main content

• Coach from area club team begins calling parents in fall wanting junior to play on his team.
  • Parents take junior to tryout and junior is offered spot on team.
  • Parents tell coach they're not concerned about win/loss record but playing time at position 'X'. Parents also tell coach junior will be out a week for church camp.
  • Coach says he can't guarantee playing time. Coach says no big deal about church camp.
  • Parents say thanks, we'll look elsewhere.
  • Coach calls back and says he's asked around about junior and he's comfortable with him at position 'X'.
  • Junior plays postion 'X' a good amount before leaving for church camp. Fielding % - .990, Batting Avg. - .099
  • Junior returns from absence and is told he won't be playing much at position 'X' but will get plenty of time at positions 'Y' and 'Z'

What do you do as the parents? What do you do as the coach if parent calls 'BS' in an unfriendly manner? What do you do as the director of the club if the parents want their money back?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by TedWilliams:
Started every game as a freshman at 5A school. Hit .307 during the season and .400 during the playoffs. Batting Avg. - .099 after 10 summer league games.

It's not about what he DID, but about what he does with each at bat. And while win/loss record may not be important to you as a parent, I GUARANTEE you it's important to that coach/club. IMO, I would tell my kid to work hard in his downtime to improve his hitting and stick it out where ever the coach thinks he can help the team. Besides, did the coach tell him he will NEVER be at position X again? My guess is no. Tell him to work hard to earn his position back.

But BY ALL MEANS, you WILL NOT get a refund. Besides, are you sure you wanna teach your kid to quit when things don't work out the way he expects the should?
quote:
Originally posted by NuffSaid:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TedWilliams:
Besides, are you sure you wanna teach your kid to quit when things don't work out the way he expects the should?

I do think the parents should teach the kid that a man's word means something. In this case, the coach flat out lied. Parents have plenty of evidence of such. Are we telling parents give us $X,000 for two months of baseball but don't ask us for anything, don't expect any accoutability, just sit in the stands and worship us as the almighty summer league coach. Right.....
Last edited by TedWilliams
i say if position X is catcher be grateful that he can play other positions against excellent competition.he was a frosh and played all year. if he played catcher during those h.s. games, by now he has dead legs and needs to stand. i hope this move by summer coach is in the kids best interest.if he ain't a catcher disregard this post.
quote:

Started every game as a freshman at 5A school. Hit .307 during the season and .400 during the playoffs.

Ummmm....congrats?

quote:

Batting Avg. - .099 after 10 summer league games

Dude, you're kid still isn't hitting .100. What about the parents of the kid on the bench who's hitting .300 without regular AB's? Didn't they pay $X,000, too? But they weren't smart enough to get a guarantee I bet.

Wanna teach a life lesson? Let your kid play his way into the lineup and stop coddling him. Some people in life lie. How will your kid respond to adversity? Quit and find another team with "guaranteed" time? Let mommy and daddy call the people in charge? God bless America.
Last edited by ironhorse
quote:
Originally posted by Catcherz_Dad:
I hope you guys get what you're looking for and best of luck to Junior.

We were looking for reps so Junior could get better. We started looking in NOVEMBER 2010. I posted his batting average for full disclosure but that seems to be what everyone wants to focus on. So far no one cares that we were upfront in NOVEMBER and the coach LIED.

At what dollar amount can someone expect honesty? $1, $1,000, $10,000?
Obviously, only you know the circumstances of the conversation, but I can't imagine a coach making an iron clad promise to a kid that he'll play a position an entire season regardless of performance or any other circumstance. Seems to me he gave the kid a chance and decided the lineup was stronger configured other ways.

My advice would be (1) take this as input that maybe junior fits better at another position and/or (2) even if position X is where he belongs, experience at other positions can be invaluable particularly down the road as he looks at the next level.

Bottom line from my experience, if you can hit you'll have opportunities to play and if you don't, generally defensive prowess alone won't be enough to keep you in the lineup if there are other options that are hitting.
quote:

Right. We don't hold people accountable anymore. Lie, commit adultry (but let's call it an affair, that sounds nicer), have a few drinks before you get in that car, have *** before marraige and go ahead and get an abortion, no need to work the state will take care of you....God bless America is right.

...let your kid hit .099 and blame the coach for altering his playing time...
Last edited by ironhorse
I give up. I must be the one with unrealistic morals. I realize he needs to get better at that plate, hence the outlay of cash for him to play 2 months of summer ball. I never said he was going to get fewer at bats, I said he wasn't getting to play the position I purchased in NOVEMBER.

Summer league parent motto:

'I will pay my money and not expect anything in return. I will not expect integrity or honesty from the coaches or the organization they represent. So help me hsbaseballweb posters..."
If it were my son, I would tell him to make the most out of each opportunity in the field and at the plate no matter what position he is playing.

I'm positive that the coach intended to give him every chance at position X, but when he left for camp and the kid that played in position X in his absence played the field just as well and probably batted better than .099 should be given the same opportunity?

The coach must think highly of your son to keep playing him at Y and Z in hopes that his bat does come around.

Be thankful he is getting the playing time, even if its not the position he wants to play. It will make him a better well rounded player and person in the long run.
Last edited by Out in LF
Ted---The cryo has given you a brain freeze.

You don't "purchase a position". All you can ask for is an opportunity. Sounds like Little Ted got one (which is all you can ask) and didn't make the most of it. If you're told that you won't have a chance to even compete for a playing spot then I think you have 'issues' but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Is it the parents' fault of the paid coach's fault that the kid is hitting double digits? Neither. It is the player's ultimate responsibility to get the job done.

Just my thoughts
quote:
I said he wasn't getting to play the position I purchased in NOVEMBER.

Wow.

quote:
Summer league parent motto:

'I will pay my money and not expect anything in return. I will not expect integrity or honesty from the coaches or the organization they represent. So help me hsbaseballweb posters..."

TedWilliams motto:

'I will pay my money and expect everything in return. It is ONLY about my kid. Performance on the field means nothing. This a business deal and nothing more. Now make my kid happy.
quote:
Is it the parents fault the kid can't hit or the paid coach? Hmmm.... Pay money, get nothing back. That's a good deal for someone.

Maybe, just maybe, it's not the parents' fault OR the coaches' fault. I've never seen coaches or parents swing a bat during a game.

It's ok for your son to be accountable. It's part of growing up.
Ok I just had to say something. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? My son played from T-ball to the Perfect game last year and we were never promised a set postion!!!! Also, just a note: my son played Pitcher only in Perfect game! 17 & 18 yrs olds. Two weeks. I figured up everytime he got on the mound it was costing me almost $450 a game to see him perform!! This is Select Ball!! I agree let Junior realize that nothing in life is fair or Free. And the parents need to back off and let him decide if Select is for him. Many times it is not! Or they get Burned out! God Bless America! REALLY??
quote:
Originally posted by ironhorse:
quote:
Is it the parents fault the kid can't hit or the paid coach? Hmmm.... Pay money, get nothing back. That's a good deal for someone.

Maybe, just maybe, it's not the parents' fault OR the coaches' fault. I've never seen coaches or parents swing a bat during a game.

It's ok for your son to be accountable. It's part of growing up.

Dude, whoever you are...I like you. We are more alike than this thread would suggest.
quote:
Originally posted by michelle33:
I figured up everytime he got on the mound it was costing me almost $450 a game to see him perform!!

You have more money than I do. It's hard to find work when you're a frozen head.

Does it offend you that I said to the coach (in November) "I want my kid to play 'X' position all summer, I don't mind if you say 'no' and I don't mind if he plays REC ball but this is what I expect for $X,000." Other coaches said 'not going do it' and I still have a good relationship with them. This coach said 'I'm OK with that, give me your money.'
Last edited by TedWilliams
quote:
You have more money than I do. It's hard to find work when you're a frozen head.

Does it offend you that I said to the coach (in November) "I want my kid to play 'X' position all summer, I don't mind if you say 'no' and I don't mind if the plays REC ball but this is what I expect for $X,000." Other coaches said 'not going do it' and I still have a good relationship with them. This coach said 'I'm OK with that, give me your money.'

If this is the actual conversation then you both handled this wrong.
Naive of me but I let mine compete for whatever position he desires to play with the knowledge that ultimately the coach will place him where it best benefits the team. On occasion, those positions are one and the same on other occurrences they have not been. Competition among the boys will drive them to excel and things sort themselves out.

As a parent, I question any other parent who comes in demanding or requesting a specific position(unless maybe its a pitcher or catcher). Successful coaches and organizations know how to put players in the best position to succeed which ultimately helps the team. Making these requests puts kid before team and to me that is wrong but.....I am naive.
Last edited by monkeyboy
So if your son is hurting the team by his performance, what does the coach say to the other parents and kids that signed up to be on a competitive team.

"Sorry, I've got to play Jr., even though he's not performing up to expectations and I've got better options, but I made him a promise."

Did you make any guarantees on your son's performance? I'm betting that the coach made the assumption that he would hit better than a buck.

Just my 2 cents.
Last edited by russinfortworth
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RLB:

When you are going to spend money on a product that is offered by multiple sources and cost over $1,000, how do you handle it? Do you have any expectations?

You handled this wrong by requesting guarantees to begin with. The coaches that told you no were the ones that handled it correctly. The correct response to your poorly handled question is, 'we do not guarantee specific amounts of playing time nor specific positions but I can assure you each kid on the team will have the opportunity to earn a spot in the lineup.'

You are not realizing the future handicap you are putting on your kid. Realize that your son can't buy his way out of a job interview when he is done with college - if he is lucky enough to play baseball for years to come, this game just gets seemingly more unfair...in actuality it just gets more and more difficult with tougher breaks, the sooner you stop agenting the kid the better chance he will have at dealing with these breaks whether they are dealt to him in baseball or in a job interview.

You don't buy or pay for a position. You pay for many other aspects of the Summer, but a position is absolutely not one of them.

Also, if I were coaching I wouldn't have let him go on a week long church camp. You are the one that broke the commitment to the team.
quote:
quote:
quote:

When you are going to spend money on a product that is offered by multiple sources and cost over $1,000, how do you handle it? Do you have any expectations?

You handled this wrong by requesting guarantees to begin with. The coaches that told you no were the ones that handled it correctly. The correct response to your poorly handled question is, 'we do not guarantee specific amounts of playing time nor specific positions but I can assure you each kid on the team will have the opportunity to earn a spot in the lineup.'

You are not realizing the future handicap you are putting on your kid. Realize that your son can't buy his way out of a job interview when he is done with college - if he is lucky enough to play baseball for years to come, this game just gets seemingly more unfair...in actuality it just gets more and more difficult with tougher breaks, the sooner you stop agenting the kid the better chance he will have at dealing with these breaks whether they are dealt to him in baseball or in a job interview.

You don't buy or pay for a position. You pay for many other aspects of the Summer, but a position is absolutely not one of them.

Also, if I were coaching I wouldn't have let him go on a week long church camp. You are the one that broke the commitment to the team.

Couldn't have said it better or more clearer, RLB.
quote:
Not more money just know that if I want my son to be seen by the best scouts you have to cough up thousands of dollars each year. My son will be playing college ball so obviously paying the money has paid off!! Good luck to you and your family!!

OK, I have to hijack this post.
Your son is going to play college ball so the money has paid off. What if he plays 1 or 2 years, and then he's out of baseball? How many players start their college careers and actually finish them still on the field? If you spent $4k to $5k per summer for 4 years does it pay off?
I don't have a dog in the hunt, but I know of 7 kids right now that just finished their freshman year on college teams. 3 saw playing time, and two are already transferring after wasting a year of college.
How many really get that ROI on paying to play baseball?
Another kid I know never played summer baseball, but played for his HS team. Received a 50% scholarship offer to a DI JUCO. How did he make it without going all over the US playing select baseball?
quote:
Originally posted by Out in the sticks:
quote:
Not more money just know that if I want my son to be seen by the best scouts you have to cough up thousands of dollars each year. My son will be playing college ball so obviously paying the money has paid off!! Good luck to you and your family!!

Your son is going to play college ball so the money has paid off. What if he plays 1 or 2 years, and then he's out of baseball? How many players start their college careers and actually finish them still on the field? If you spent $4k to $5k per summer for 4 years does it pay off?
I don't have a dog in the hunt, but I know of 7 kids right now that just finished their freshman year on college teams. 3 saw playing time, and two are already transferring after wasting a year of college.
Another kid I know never played summer baseball, but played for his HS team. Received a 50% scholarship offer to a DI JUCO. How did he make it without going all over the US playing select baseball?

Regarding ROI: there is risk in every investment. It is the family's decision to take the risk to spend the money on sources that do give the best opportunities for future success. This doesn't guarantee success though.

Also your sample size of 7 kids is entirely too small. Nearly every scholarship player in the Big 12, D1 JUCO, top tier NAIA's etc. played and invested money in baseball organizations. Expand that throughout the country and there is a ton of investments being returned throughout the country every year.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Regarding ROI: there is risk in every investment. It is the family's decision to take the risk to spend the money on sources that do give the best opportunities for future success. This doesn't guarantee success though.

Also your sample size of 7 kids is entirely too small. Nearly every scholarship player in the Big 12, D1 JUCO, top tier NAIA's etc. played and invested money in baseball organizations. Expand that throughout the country and there is a ton of investments being returned throughout the country every year.

I understand my sample size of 7 kids is only a handful, but those guys are all I know of personally that made college rosters in 2011. There is a ton of investment being made during the summers. Are you saying that the $16-$20k that has been spent for 4 years of summer ball pays off because of making a roster, or that it equals out in what scholarship money is awarded to even out the investment?
I just see several kids that go to Junior College, D-III private schools, NAIA schools, etc.. and after 1-2 years they are out of baseball. I would think the percentages speak for themselves. Only the strong survive......

Fire away fellas...
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I understand my sample size of 7 kids is only a handful, but those guys are all I know of personally that made college rosters in 2011. There is a ton of investment being made during the summers. Are you saying that the $16-$20k that has been spent for 4 years of summer ball pays off because of making a roster, or that it equals out in what scholarship money is awarded to even out the investment?
I just see several kids that go to Junior College, D-III private schools, NAIA schools, etc.. and after 1-2 years they are out of baseball. I would think the percentages speak for themselves. Only the strong survive......

Fire away fellas...

I am saying there are plenty that aren't transferring and getting cut is all.

Please note my first paragraph on risk. This is the key to pretty much every thread created on Summer baseball that I read on this forum. It seems some fail to realize it is an opportunity with risk involved that could pay off.

One day I will be a father. I will asses my son's abilities. If he has a gift in music (he wouldn't get this from me) and enjoys the piano then I will decide to get him piano lessons at an early age. If he progresses and shows true skill then it may be something in which I would be willing to risk future monies with the thought that a musical scholarship is a possibility. If my kid likes baseball but isn't very good, I will encourage him to enjoy it but I wouldn't waste 20K traveling around when he could be developing other obvious talents.

I know that whatever my kid has ability in I will do what I can to give him the best opportunity to succeed. If I don't and I view it as, 'oh this has a poor ROI,' then I am the one that would live with the what if's (regret).
Going back to the original issue, I think there are a few things that go undefined.

1. After the coach supposedly agreed to allow Jr to play "X" position, you “handed the coach your money”. Did you make a check out to the coach or the organization? If you made the check out the organization, then the organization has some responsibility for their coaches. Did you ever check the coaches credentials? Had he ever played baseball in college or professionally? If a coach had a good record in his professional career, then the organization would stand by their decision to hire him and would value his opinion regarding all of his players.

2. You stated that you wanted your son to only play “X” position. Isn’t a player more versatile when he is able to step in and assume other positions when needed? If my son only played third base, then shame on me as parent to not give him the opportunity to experience and fully learn the game from all key positions. In my opinion, that is where leadership comes, able to step in and play a ballgame and get the job done. Teamwork is the entire team, not just the ability of one player, in one position. A good coach will see the potential in the player and help him in the areas that need the attention so he can be a better ballplayer.

3. Did your son ever take the time to talk to the coach? Coaches respect a ballplayer that is able to effectively communicate any disappointment in playing time. A respectable coach will give any ballplayer the chance to prove himself, but ultimately it’s the players responsibility to do the job. If he can’t get the job done, there will be someone else that can. That’s just life.

4. Last, when reading your original post, my deepest concern is that you wanted to “buy” your son a position. What does that tell the other players and their parents? That each position on the team has a price tag? Thank God that there is a coach out there that can’t be bought and doesn’t put a price on his players/positions, because that gives my son a fair chance to compete for a position based on his ability as a ballplayer, not according to my pocketbook.
Thank you StanMusial for asking questions pertinent to my original post. You have restored my faith in the hsbaseballweb audience.

1. Check was made out to the organization. I have reached out to the organization and they have not responded as of yet.
2. I've got 20 seasons of select baseball under my belt at this point and feel like I have a good understanding of the significance of those "3rd Weekend in June Elks Lodge 5 Team 15U Consolation Championships" so I really don't care if the summer team finishes above .500 for the season. I wanted my kid to enjoy his summer.
3. Yes, unfortunately it was after I had already 'spoken' to the coach. I have apologized to my son for that one.
4. It makes me smile this 'you can't buy a position talk'. The parent is the customer, the baseball organization is the supplier. In a free market the customer can negotiate anything he wants. I was very forthright with every coach who offered a spot on his team about what I felt I was buying. I didn't want a jersey, I didn't want a two month tryout, I wanted innings at position "X". My son goes to a public high school where I've had other kids play and I've never spoken to the coach about playing time in 6 years. In the summer, we as parents are paying for a product. The coach could have said I'll let him play position "X" for 3 innings a game and it will cost you 50% of the full fee. I may have gone for that.

quote:
Originally posted by StanMusial:
Going back to the original issue, I think there are a few things that go undefined.

1. After the coach supposedly agreed to allow Jr to play "X" position, you “handed the coach your money”. Did you make a check out to the coach or the organization? If you made the check out the organization, then the organization has some responsibility for their coaches. Did you ever check the coaches credentials? Had he ever played baseball in college or professionally? If a coach had a good record in his professional career, then the organization would stand by their decision to hire him and would value his opinion regarding all of his players.

2. You stated that you wanted your son to only play “X” position. Isn’t a player more versatile when he is able to step in and assume other positions when needed? If my son only played third base, then shame on me as parent to not give him the opportunity to experience and fully learn the game from all key positions. In my opinion, that is where leadership comes, able to step in and play a ballgame and get the job done. Teamwork is the entire team, not just the ability of one player, in one position. A good coach will see the potential in the player and help him in the areas that need the attention so he can be a better ballplayer.

3. Did your son ever take the time to talk to the coach? Coaches respect a ballplayer that is able to effectively communicate any disappointment in playing time. A respectable coach will give any ballplayer the chance to prove himself, but ultimately it’s the players responsibility to do the job. If he can’t get the job done, there will be someone else that can. That’s just life.

4. Last, when reading your original post, my deepest concern is that you wanted to “buy” your son a position. What does that tell the other players and their parents? That each position on the team has a price tag? Thank God that there is a coach out there that can’t be bought and doesn’t put a price on his players/positions, because that gives my son a fair chance to compete for a position based on his ability as a ballplayer, not according to my pocketbook.
Ted,

Why are you adamant that Jr play position "X" and only that position? To use an analogy, if I have an employee that "good" at his job and enjoys it, but I as the employer see other more valuable potential in him that will further his career, what should I do? Allow him to continue mediocre work that allows him to stagnate, or give him the opportunity to grow and become more valuable because of his versatile skills? I guess what I'm saying is that a parent we see things that our kids are capable of doing and want them to be successful, but there is value in what other people see in our kids as well.

As far as getting you're money back, I wouldn't expect it. Jr agreed to be a part of the team and did get playing time, which is probably more than other players got. I don't think any ballclub would refund the money because of a player didn't get to play position "X" the entire season. That message would be ****ing to any club.
For the first portion of the season each player should be given a relatively equal amount of playing time. After that you earn your time.

No wonder the team is a .500 team if you just have to pay for a spot and not earn anything.

Either the coach thought your kid would be really good so the "promise" was worth it, or he is a moron.

You act like you bought a lawn mower that isn't working right and you should get your money back.

And Stan was right, the kid should talk to the coach not you. He isn't in 2nd grade.

Did you pay more than other parents? If so I don't see where you have a legitimate gripe.
quote:
4. It makes me smile this 'you can't buy a position talk'. The parent is the customer, the baseball organization is the supplier. In a free market the customer can negotiate anything he wants. I was very forthright with every coach who offered a spot on his team about what I felt I was buying. I didn't want a jersey, I didn't want a two month tryout, I wanted innings at position "X". My son goes to a public high school where I've had other kids play and I've never spoken to the coach about playing time in 6 years. In the summer, we as parents are paying for a product. The coach could have said I'll let him play position "X" for 3 innings a game and it will cost you 50% of the full fee. I may have gone for that.

Ted, just stop. Your kid is not a product to barter with. You say you wanted him to enjoy the summer, let him enjoy it, he might like the other positions and learn something about himself and being a leader on this team. When you sell a car or a house and the buyer says they will only use it 3 days a week or on weekends do you take 50% of the asking price? If so, lets talk. When you buy groceries, clothes or go to the movies do you tell Mr Wal Mart that you only plan to wear this t-shirt once every 2 weeks so the price should be adjusted, or the movie is only 1/2 as long as Titanic, therefore... nope. that's the price. you either choose to pay it or you dont. You chose to pay the price for summer ball.
I think we all see where this 'transaction' ran off the rails, but I can't help but admire Ted's candid approach. I would say that the great majority of all of us have paid the thousands of dollars to the local programs in return for what we hope is quality coaching and long-lasting memories for our boys. Let's be honest with ourselves, however. How many times has the organization simply taken our money in exchange for some laundry? How many 10yo Patriot, DBAT, Tiger, [insert other club name here] teams are there out there that are simply wearing the "laundry"? Maybe Ted has a point here. The organizations are in this for one main reason and that's to be profitable. Why can't we as parents have some say in the product that we're buying? I realize that this is not the conventional view when it comes to team sports, but at what point is the line drawn between sports and business? Ted is not necessarily wrong here, but instead took an active approach as a consumer. And as a consumer, he has choices. He can pull his kid and jump to another team, sit tight and ride it out, or complain. Neither of which is really wrong in this situation if you view the parents as consumers. If the organization or team is profiting off of your payment, why are we not allowed a voice or input? Keep in mind though, Ted, while I quietly applaud your approach, Jr. will eventually have to earn his way. But I applaud nonetheless.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.