Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by 11sdad:
Hey we have lost 2 OL and a QB plus our RB only has one leg right now so I think the writing is on the wall so to speak. Big Grin

Hey, you never know, that's why they play 'em...

We got our spring schedule last night and we are back at the Arlington Martin tournament this year. See if #11 can groove something to #17 since these aren't district games... Big Grin
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 11sdad:
What would everyones pick be for the top 10 5A teams of 2008 in the DFW area?

In no order:
Allen- will have a lot of reloading to do. Lost entire OF, SS, 1B? and 2 of top 3 pitchers to grad. I wouldn't have in my top ten right now but since it is Allen, I am sure they have talent coming up
Coll. Heritage- they have some hitters but do they have pitching? If they have pitching, they will be tough.
Coppell- Lost top pitchers and hitters. Will Morris make-up the difference, some. They also have a 2010 pitcher who has a chance to be special.
Flower Mound- see Allen
FM Marcus- not sure I would put them in a top ten
Keller- Now that KD son is gone they have no chance Smile Keller will hit and have at least one bullet on the bump. Definite top 10
Plano East- Will be better on the bump (especially with PD son) but lost hitting. If Soph. and Jr. pick-up their game, top ten.
Rowlett- lost a ton and don't return any top pitchers. Loy will have to do it all.
Rockwall- not very familar with players.
SL Carroll- Lost one of the top pitchers in the area. They have a couple of other good arms, but how is their hitting?

Should be considered:
Wylie- best 2009 pitcher in the area combined with most of their best position players, minus cathcer.
Plano West- if they can find pitching they will be dangerous. All top hitters return.
Naaman Forest- lost a lot, but always seem to be competitive
South Garland- ?
Hebron- if they find pitching, they have good hitters.
Newman Smith- may surprise some people. Searching for pitching depth.
Jesuit- a lot of players back from last years team

Beast, might want to add Denton Ryan to the list you gave for 4A.
Martin will be good. Wylie and Coppell may have the best 2009 players. Plano will be improved -- watch out if Burkhead adds baseball to his impressive resume. Rockwall has two strong arms. A little birdie tells me Sasche will be the real deal. And, I think Plano West's offense will be 2nd to none. Forney may surprise some -- and Poteet has the lefty and the svelte red-head. I don't think there are as many obvious dominate teams this year. Most will need contributions from inexperienced kids....but that's what makes HS baseball so intriguing.

It will also be fun to watch a few of the area stars finish their HS careers -- WK, JS, etc.

Is it spring yet? Cool
Kirk

You vote of confidence in Colleyville was great and thanks....Pitching ought to be ok...They have a Senior that looked very strong this fall and a little lefty that might help Big Grin The program is awesome...very disciplined ...driven coaching staff.

Rowlett- Hamblin had a good summer on the mound would not think Loy will be alone

It will all boil down to the work done in the next 10 weeks...IMO
quote:
Originally posted by PAW-FECT:
Kirk

You vote of confidence in Colleyville was great and thanks....Pitching ought to be ok...They have a Senior that looked very strong this fall and a little lefty that might help Big Grin The program is awesome...very disciplined ...driven coaching staff.

Rowlett- Hamblin had a good summer on the mound would not think Loy will be alone

It will all boil down to the work done in the next 10 weeks...IMO

CHHS has all three starting pitchers back from a playoff team a year ago. Also, a quality hitting team. They are the District 5-5A odds-on favorite.

Keller will be very strong at the plate and Merck on the mound every other district game. Playoff team for sure.

Southlake Carroll graduated all but three varsity players, but they always have talent and many of their JV players would start for other schools' varsity teams.

Richland looks to be the most improved team in the district with some younger players stepping into key roles, especially on the mound.

Grapevine returns much of their team, including starting pitching. OF is where they were hit the hardest with graduation, but they will be tough.

Northwest was very young last year, so much of the team is back. More arms available, but no clear ace. Pitching will have to carry the spotty hitting...if that happens, will compete.

Keller Central seems to always be a wild card in this district. Usually hits well and can beat the best on any given day, but can also lose to the worst. Hard team to read.

Haltom has a new coach I think, so look for them to improve, but it may not be this year. Need to develop the younger players, but should be a force in future years.
Last edited by tychco
quote:
Originally posted by 11sdad:
quote:
Originally posted by Panther Dad:
Martin will be good.

Is it spring yet? Cool

PD Martin lost their #1,#3,#5 & #6 hitters and their #5 & #6 pitchers from last years team so don't expect much from us this year.

Northwest lost a senior benchwarmer and two senior pinch runners from last year's team as well. Cool
quote:
IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER. IMO I think McKinney, Waxahachie, Highland Park are at the top in the area in 4A. They all three have alot of talent coming back. JMHO.

Looking West...Don't rule out district 6-4A. nobody thought much of them last year and both Boswell and Birdville went 4 and 5 rounds deep into the play-offs, not to mention fossil ridge losing a third game extra inning playoff match to Denton. All those teams lost most of thier starters, But Fossil Ridge returns thier #1,and #3 starters and had 3 move ins including two Puerto Rican brothers who I heard can flat play! Saginaw returns the entire team with several move-ins(first Senior class)... which reminds me...Rockwall Heath looks to be dominant this year! (first senior class) Arlington Hieghts and Southwest return most of thier starters too...
Last edited by nortexbaseball
quote:
Wylie and Coppell may have the best 2009 players. Plano will be improved -- watch out if Burkhead adds baseball to his impressive resume. Rockwall has two strong arms. A little birdie tells me Sasche will be the real deal

Panther Dad,

The "little bird" is correct about Sasche, and you can include Flower Mound in the list with solid 09 players. I "hear" from reliable sources that Allen may struggle a little at the plate, but I will have to see it to believe it, and their D should be fine. Plano will be improved from last year, but they will need to find some pitching. Also agree with Kirk, if Plano West finds arms, we are all in trouble. Opponents will just have to find a way to outscore them. Wylie, along with the others, will need some of the inexperienced young men to really step up this year, especially with the bats (we will miss the long-ball from WH last year). I also hear the McKinney teams should be strong this year, along with HP. I have heard the same about Rockwall, but I don't know them well.
The UIL announced today that Mesquite Poteet has been granted permission to play their entire 2008 baseball schedule at their home field. This will include all preseason tournament games, the entire 10 4A schedule and all state playoff games up through the regional finals. The UIL is still undecided on moving the state finals to Mesquite.

It is rumored that a former Poteet coach negotiated this unusual ruling. A source close to the negotiations strongly believes the UIL will indeed move the state finals to Poteet. The unidentified UIL source acknowledged the organization is striving to create parity in the 4A ranks. They are strongly in favor of a Dallas area team winning the crown in 2008 and believe if drastic measures are not taken, another Corpus Christi team will win it all.

The UIL anticipates an outrage from teams, coaches and fans from around the state. In particular, they believe supporters of Highland Park and curiously McKinney High, will be the most vocal. It is believed that Highland Park attempted a similar negotiation several years ago but was denied. When asked, a UIL official would only say that HP representatives were not in the same league as the Poteet negotiator. As to MHS, the official said Poteet strikes a nerve with those folks, especially the moms.
quote:
Originally posted by tychco:

CHHS has all three starting pitchers back from a playoff team a year ago. Also, a quality hitting team. They are the District 5-5A odds-on favorite.

Keller will be very strong at the plate and Merck on the mound every other district game. Playoff team for sure.

Southlake Carroll graduated all but three varsity players, but they always have talent and many of their JV players would start for other schools' varsity teams.

Richland looks to be the most improved team in the district with some younger players stepping into key roles, especially on the mound.

Grapevine returns much of their team, including starting pitching. OF is where they were hit the hardest with graduation, but they will be tough.

Northwest was very young last year, so much of the team is back. More arms available, but no clear ace. Pitching will have to carry the spotty hitting...if that happens, will compete.

Keller Central seems to always be a wild card in this district. Usually hits well and can beat the best on any given day, but can also lose to the worst. Hard team to read.

Haltom has a new coach I think, so look for them to improve, but it may not be this year. Need to develop the younger players, but should be a force in future years.

Watching Keller this fall I will say that they should compete for the 5-5A title. They are deeper in arms than any time in my memory.

They hit the ball well 1-9 and will have as solid as an infield as last year.

The key is going to be Coach Stramps ability to turn some infielders into outfielders. They have one true outfielder on their projected roster. While last years outfield was patched together and they competed, it ended up costing them in a critical situation against Coppell.

The biggest loss to Keller in the offseason was two of their coaching staff.

Colleyville and Southlake will be tough and I predict that they and Keller will fight it out for the top three spots.

I will give the nod to Richland for the fourth playoff spot just because I have so much respect for Coach Wells. He plays small ball and is very aggressive on the bases and will manufacture runs. He also works the umpires better than most coaches I've ever seen.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kirk:
Coppell- Lost top pitchers and hitters. Will Morris make-up the difference, some. They also have a 2010 pitcher who has a chance to be special.

Coppell had a very solid fall, usually that doesn't matter much except that this year it seemed the young men were committed to winning...even in the fall. As for pitching Coppell lost Green but he didn't play much anyway last year, Watten was good but it was his first year pitching in 5A. The pitching looks good, the #2 & 3 ( not counting Green) were both 4-0 and had era under 2.5, both are back. Kettler was the closer and might have been a better starter than either the 2 or 3. It just depends on if Coach English wants to use his starting SS as a pitcher or not. Several Juniors had good summers and falls. DeLa is gone but I think Coach English will find some one to fill his role.

This years pitching staff is stronger overall than last years, I base that on the fact that Coppell really never had Green around to pitch.

The 2010 player is a mystery to me, the only kid that saw any real time this fall with the varsity was a tall kid who had some velocity and had a good Fall but it takes a lot to transition to 5A varsity. Morris is a possibility but after the football injury we will have to wait and see if he pitches or not and for how long. And that will have to be after waiting for him to be eligible....well worth the wait though.

Coppell might have the fastest outfield in 5A, either Morris or Reynolds in center / left and Graber or Truddell in right. They will get to a lot of balls.

Losing Green's and Kaskow's bats hurts but Kettler and Walsh will fill the roles well.

There will be no reason for this team not to win 6-5A this year and next.....and Coach English has been quoted as saying that the 2011 freshman class is the strongest he has every had at Coppell.
Last edited by ACowboyFan

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.