Skip to main content

Dominik85 posted:

Astros PR department hit another home run. The security personnel confiscates opposing fan banners mocking the sign stealing scandal. 

It is probably their right to do that but this set up the pun of astros stealing signs from fans meaning they got dunked on all day on the internet last night.

Who cares what is said on social media! I laugh when I see “Twitter reacted to (pick a situation).” A majority of Twitter posters are morons.

Last edited by RJM
@K9 posted:

Remember when sign stealing was the biggest thing that we had to worry about?

https://www.barstoolsports.com...anfred-covered-it-up

Looks like the Yankees are trying to prevent the disclosure of a 2017 Manfred letter related to cheating.  Some believe that it will show that the Yankees did more than the Apple Watch stuff that they got a slap on the wrist for. 

You won't hear much about it. The righteous and ethical "ban them for life and take back the championship" mob's fingers are still sore from their invective filled rants directed at Houston. The Astros were crucified for all the leagues sign stealing sins (at least from 2017-2019). No need to sully the gloriousness of the Yankees. 

"..you guys are behind the times lol!" Carlos Beltran upon arriving in the Astros clubhouse, after three seasons with the Yankees.

1) Everything I read says the letter in question deals with conduct prior to the time when Manfred laid down the law and said future violators would face more serious penalties.  (The end of the 2017 season, if I recall correctly.)  So teams that were sanctioned prior to the time the Commissioner announced that penalties would be heavier received lighter penalties than those who broke the rules after his announcement?  That's literally the definition of what Manfred said. 

2)  If the agreement the Yankees reached with the league included keeping details confidential (which is a provision lawyers routinely seek as part of settlements), then yeah, I'd expect the team to fight to protect that agreement. Trying to hang onto to the deal you negotiated with the league isn't nefarious at all.

1) Everything I read says the letter in question deals with conduct prior to the time when Manfred laid down the law and said future violators would face more serious penalties.  (The end of the 2017 season, if I recall correctly.)  So teams that were sanctioned prior to the time the Commissioner announced that penalties would be heavier received lighter penalties than those who broke the rules after his announcement?  That's literally the definition of what Manfred said. 

2)  If the agreement the Yankees reached with the league included keeping details confidential (which is a provision lawyers routinely seek as part of settlements), then yeah, I'd expect the team to fight to protect that agreement. Trying to hang onto to the deal you negotiated with the league isn't nefarious at all.

You're right.  However if Spygate and Deflategate have taught us anything it is that people ignore nuance, aren't interested in the truth if it takes more than 10 seconds to discern, and gravitate to the salaciousness of the story.  And they love schadenfreude. 

I can’t condone throwing behind a batter’s head. And Kelly making faces was stupid. But I can’t see giving him an 8-game suspension. Especially since that is 8 games more than any Astros player will serve for the biggest cheating scandal in a century.

I don’t want to see anybody put in the hospital. But I will shed zero tears for any Astros player who wears a fastball in the back or backside this summer. 

@Dominik85 posted:

... other teams cheated too ...

Since Manfred handed down the edict that any future instances of electronic/video cheating would get harsh penalties, two teams have been busted:  Houston and Boston.  The rest is just rumors.  

If Kelly had kept his cool on the mound, he'd have skated.  He wasn't thrown out of the game, and he has a reputation for being wild anyway.  I think the Astros players would be a lot more worried if they were getting plunked suspiciously often, but no one could prove anything--that could get into a team's head.     

If Kelly had kept his cool on the mound, he'd have skated.  He wasn't thrown out of the game, and he has a reputation for being wild anyway.  I think the Astros players would be a lot more worried if they were getting plunked suspiciously often, but no one could prove anything--that could get into a team's head.     

Well that’s no fun😂 And besides, I think it’s already in their head.
There’s no way he should be suspended for 8 games. He wasn’t even tossed. I don’t condone head hunting. Glad no one was injured.  Maybe Kelly’s accuracy is better than we think, lol. Throwing behind the head is ugly but better than inside near the head. Stay away from the head. Allow players to police themselves, since no one else is. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.