Skip to main content

BREAKING: Houston Astros GM Jeff Luhnow and manager AJ Hinch have been suspended for one year after an MLB investigation found the team used technology to cheat during its World Series-winning 2017 season, sources familiar with the punishment tell ESPN.

Additionally, MLB will fine the Astros $5 million and take away their first- and second-round picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts, sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan.../1216796081457111040

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The penalties seem about right.  Except maybe for this:

"While the scheme to steal signs and relay them to batters by banging on a garbage can was 'player-driven,' MLB commissioner Rob Manfred wrote in a nine-page summary of the investigation, no players were disciplined -- including New York Mets manager Carlos Beltran, who played for the 2017 Astros and was implicated by Manfred as one of the players involved in decoding signs."     https://www.espn.com/mlb/story...-fired-sign-stealing

I get that there is a collective bargaining agreement that (probably--I don't know) severely limits the punishments the league can impose on players, but this seems wrong.  As an institutional matter, teams now have a real incentive to stop players from engaging in prohibited forms of sign-stealing.  But the players themselves have literally zero reason to try to comply with the rules.  Maybe the technology required means players won't be able to do this kind of thing without help from, or at least the knowledge of, management...  Maybe.  But should the players involved in this activity face no penalties at all?

RossGA posted:

Slap on the wrist.  Very disappointing.  

Other than a lifetime ban, what more could Manfred have done?  The $5M fine is trivial, but I have read that is the largest the relevant rules allowed.

Luhnow and Hinch may or may not get hired right away by another team next year—that will be interesting. But a one-year ban seems like a hefty penalty. And for the organization to lose its top two picks for two years is going to sting. 

hshuler posted:
22and25 posted:

Just saw that, they got hammered.  So are the Red Sox next?

I think Cora, not the Red Sox, is next.

Cora's penalty will be from his time with Astros. No proof of Red Sox cheating.

hshuler, that may be premature (unless you have read something I missed; which is entirely possible).  It sure sounds like Cora is going to be penalized--probably for his conduct with the Astros.  But I thought the Red Sox investigation was ongoing?

Chico Escuela posted:
hshuler posted:
22and25 posted:

Just saw that, they got hammered.  So are the Red Sox next?

I think Cora, not the Red Sox, is next.

Cora's penalty will be from his time with Astros. No proof of Red Sox cheating.

hshuler, that may be premature (unless you have read something I missed; which is entirely possible).  It sure sounds like Cora is going to be penalized--probably for his conduct with the Astros.  But I thought the Red Sox investigation was ongoing?

I should have said no proof of the Red Sox cheating as of yet. 

Here's something I don't understand:  MLB found the Astros stole signs in 2017 and won the World Series.  But the cheating was supposedly limited to that year.  So, team cheats and wins it all, then decides to stop cheating...  because it worked too well the prior year???  That is the part I wonder about--is MLB trying to do damage control by limiting this to a single season?

[Or the year after Cora left, the Astros' cheating stopped, and the Red Sox won the WS.  But nobody tried to cheat in 2019.  Because it worked too well for two years in a row,]

This is far worse than what led to a lifetime ban for Coppoella (spelling?).  I thing a lifetime ban for Cora, Luhnow, Hinch and Beltran should be a minimum.  Vacate the 2017 WS title all players return the rings.  Players need penalties.  If you participated, your contract and service time are void and you can go back in the draft.  Now this won't happen again.  Not sure if anything can be done on the fine, but $ 5 million per trash can bang would have been better.  We are talking about the integrity of the game and the message we are sending to kids.  Needed more than a slap on the wrist. 

Chico Escuela posted:

Here's something I don't understand:  MLB found the Astros stole signs in 2017 and won the World Series.  But the cheating was supposedly limited to that year.  So, team cheats and wins it all, then decides to stop cheating...  because it worked too well the prior year???  That is the part I wonder about--is MLB trying to do damage control by limiting this to a single season?

[Or the year after Cora left, the Astros' cheating stopped, and the Red Sox won the WS.  But nobody tried to cheat in 2019.  Because it worked too well for two years in a row,]

Yeah - my thought exactly...I think that they are trying to draw scope by defining cheating to mean electronic surveillance and real time notification....otherwise there are probably too many potential cases to punish.  

A disturbing continuation of integrity issues with our game the last 25 years - 

... exciting record-breaking season HR battle between Sosa and McGuire... oh wait, never mind.  They both cheated.  Yet, the numbers stand.  A few years later, Bonds shatters that HR record as well as the all time career HR record... oh wait, he cheated too.. but the numbers stand.  Last year, HR's hit at record pace... oh wait, the balls are different.  The Astro's show signs of a modern day dynasty... oh wait...  and the world series trophies remain in the case.

Of course, go back a little ways further... All time hits leader Pete Rose took amphetamines and had a major gambling problem, including betting on MLB baseball games while managing MLB baseball games.  And on and on... It's starting to become more difficult for even us most ardent supporters of the game to see it as America's Pastime.

cabbagedad posted:

A disturbing continuation of integrity issues with our game the last 25 years - 

... exciting record-breaking season HR battle between Sosa and McGuire... oh wait, never mind.  They both cheated.  Yet, the numbers stand.  A few years later, Bonds shatters that HR record as well as the all time career HR record... oh wait, he cheated too.. but the numbers stand.  Last year, HR's hit at record pace... oh wait, the balls are different.  The Astro's show signs of a modern day dynasty... oh wait...  and the world series trophies remain in the case.

Of course, go back a little ways further... All time hits leader Pete Rose took amphetamines and had a major gambling problem, including betting on MLB baseball games while managing MLB baseball games.  And on and on... It's starting to become more difficult for even us most ardent supporters of the game to see it as America's Pastime.

I think if you went back to the very beginning of the game you could find reference to the moral decay within baseball written in some paper at any given point in history.  Some of the games most prominent heros from the past were drunks, adulterers, criminals and just down right mean people.  The Black Sox scandal was 100 years ago and there has been plenty of good and bad both before and since.  There are players from every possible walk of American life throughout the game's history and they all bring their own moral compass to the ballpark.  You can't get much more American than that......

The general consensus of the Boston sports media is Cora is a dead man walking. He was the man behind the acts in Houston and Boston. His penalties will probably be more severe. The media expects him to be fired.

Nothing will happen until there’s a full investigation of the Red Sox situation.

RJM posted:

The general consensus of the Boston sports media is Cora is a dead man walking. He was the man behind the acts in Houston and Boston. His penalties will probably be more severe. The media expects him to be fired.

Nothing will happen until there’s a full investigation of the Red Sox situation.

It will be interesting to see whether Cora gets a harsher punishment as a two-time offender (if he is one).  I also am wondering if a year from now, when the suspensions are over, Luhnow's and Hinch's services (Cora's, too) are in the same kind of high demand they would have enjoyed pre-scandal, or if there is some kind of lingering stain on their reputations.

PED users did see varying hits to their marketability and legacies--although a lot of that was because after they were busted, teams were concerned about how well they could play without a chemical boost.  Luhnow, Hinch and Cora all are still very talented baseball guys, even without the aid of clanging trash can lids, so my bet is they pick up pretty much as though nothing happened.  And that may be perfectly reasonable, since at that point they will have paid their proverbial debt to society (or to MLB) by serving their sentences.

What about the players?  Bregman, Altuve, Betts, etc. are still great, but you really have to wonder whether they ought to have an asterisk beside the 2017 or 2018 seasons. (Yeah, I have heard Houston's team batting average was higher in away games in 2017.  I still say knowing when a breaking pitch was coming during home games would have been a major advantage for an MLB hitter.  Obviously the teams thought so, too, since they were willing to cheat for that edge.) 

And it sucks to be the Dodgers. To think the same team lost the WS in both tainted seasons.

RJM posted:

Oh, Cora's screwed.  I'd love to see Varitek get some consideration as a replacement from the front office.  Who you got, RJM?

I think it's a light punishment. The draft picks hurt and that was warranted, I mean more in regards to Hinch and the staff behind the operation. By coming down with a suspension the MLB is saying they can prove he was in on the cheating. They can prove he was cheating which led to a World Series - but he only gets a year? That is what seems light to me. I'm not sure what Luhnow's involvement was, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was just collateral. 

This will change the Astros organization for the next 10 years. When all their homegrown guys come up in contract years they will not be able to resign knowing they have 4 less elite prospects in their system. Expect the current young guys to be dished for draft picks near the end of their contracts. Whoever takes over at GM is going to have his work cut out and a tough career ahead of him, especially when you start down 4 top prospects and have to sign a bunch of guys who can get their money anywhere. I would imagine they would draft high school heavy to rebuild down the line or college heavy to salvage what they have and get those guys up while the studs are still around (Bregman, Correa, etc.). That is what I would expect at least.

RossGA posted:

This is far worse than what led to a lifetime ban for Coppoella (spelling?).  I thing a lifetime ban for Cora, Luhnow, Hinch and Beltran should be a minimum.  Vacate the 2017 WS title all players return the rings.  Players need penalties.  If you participated, your contract and service time are void and you can go back in the draft.  Now this won't happen again.  Not sure if anything can be done on the fine, but $ 5 million per trash can bang would have been better.  We are talking about the integrity of the game and the message we are sending to kids.  Needed more than a slap on the wrist. 

I agree.  Everyone on the team was in on it, including Bregman, Springer, Verlander, etc.  All of them cheated.  All of them knew they were cheating.  All of them should pay a price - at a minimum return the rings and refund their bonuses.  Just disgraceful.

fenwaysouth posted:
RJM posted:

Oh, Cora's screwed.  I'd love to see Varitek get some consideration as a replacement from the front office.  Who you got, RJM?

Roenicke ... He has prior managing experience. Or, since the Sox  don’t seem to be putting together a team that can compete maybe pull a fan out of the seats each game and give him a shot. Win and you coach tomorrow. Lose and you’re done.

Last edited by RJM
hshuler posted:

I’m pretty sure the Astros anticipated harsh penalties. I know a few kids who are potential top two round draft prospects and the only team that hasn’t done a home visit with them is the Astros. 

This may have more to do with the fact that we were told the Astros are phasing out scouts and going on analytics and video.  Regardless, I think the 4 picks will hurt them and I think this (cheating) is probably going on to varying degrees a lot more than we think. 

Last edited by baseballhs
PABaseball posted:

I think it's a light punishment. The draft picks hurt and that was warranted,....

I don't think this was light punishment.  I think this was FAIR punishment to the organization and field mgt who were in on it.  Definitely the draft picks and the suspensions got everybody's attention in an MLB front office. 

The punishment was too light/non-existent on the players that carried this out.   These are grown men who knew what they were doing.   Agree 100% with Chico that this bothers me.   The MLB is going to look the other way on the players?   Seriously?   I don't get this part of the MLB punishment decision.   

Chico Escuela posted:

What about the players?  The players carried out the plan, benefited from the plan--and are getting ZERO punishment.  The more I cogitate on that, the more it bothers me. 

It bothers me as well. But because of their CBA and a strong players union they won't get touched.

Luhnow released his statement via his attorney. He stated he is not a cheater and pointed the finger at his coaches and players, but accepted responsibility for the cheating that occurred on his watch.  The Commisioner did not directly implicate him for misconduct.  

I am a Luhnow fan, always will be. Can't imagine the pain of having worked your entire life to build your reputation and the people you gave opportunities to work under you went ahead and fked it up.  They also did not help the future for MLB.

I will never watch an Astros game again.

TPM posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

What about the players?  The players carried out the plan, benefited from the plan--and are getting ZERO punishment.  The more I cogitate on that, the more it bothers me. 

It bothers me as well. But because of their CBA and a strong players union they won't get touched.

Luhnow released his statement via his attorney. He stated he is not a cheater and pointed the finger at his coaches and players, but accepted responsibility for the cheating that occurred on his watch.  The Commisioner did not directly implicate him for misconduct.  

I am a Luhnow fan, always will be. Can't imagine the pain of having worked your entire life to build your reputation and the people you gave opportunities to work under you went ahead and fked it up.  They also did not help the future for MLB.

Serious question (no sarcasm intended):  Do you believe Luhnow didn't know this was going on?  Even after the Red Sox were fined in 2017 and Manfred warned teams that he would take future offenses very seriously? 

I assume Luhnow spent very little, if any, time in the dugout during games. But he seems very much the kind of guy who would be a hands-on sort of manager.  I admit to knowing precious little about the facts or about Luhnow's day-to-day activities, but it's hard for me to believe he was completely in the dark about this (unless maybe he chose to be--which is no defense IMO).

Chico Escuela posted:
TPM posted:
Chico Escuela posted:

Serious question (no sarcasm intended):  Do you believe Luhnow didn't know this was going on?  Even after the Red Sox were fined in 2017 and Manfred warned teams that he would take future offenses very seriously? 

I assume Luhnow spent very little, if any, time in the dugout during games. But he seems very much the kind of guy who would be a hands-on sort of manager.  I admit to knowing precious little about the facts or about Luhnow's day-to-day activities, but it's hard for me to believe he was completely in the dark about this (unless maybe he chose to be--which is no defense IMO).

Luhnow drafted son when he was with the Cardinals, so there is a connection there for me.  

GMs don't spend time in the dugout.  They have people that leave the day to day management of the team to others.  

The commissioner did not implicate him in the crime.  

I don't believe he was aware of what was going on. Never appeared to be a look the other way kind of person.

Last edited by TPM

Couple takeaways.  I will stay clear of others opinions of too light, too harsh, just right on the punishment.

1)  If you cheat, lie, steal, or take/give a bribe, you are a cheater, liar, thief or corrupt for life.  Once dirty, dirty forever in many people's eyes. If you took PED's once, you are a PED user for life. No matter how clean the rest of your life is, or how many good deeds you do, you will be seen by some as your worst deed. You live with your choices. This is the message to pass to young people.

2) Someone's HOF chances just went down.

As an Astros fan since 1981, I would like to see all position players from 2017 roster traded.  Happy Crane fired Luhnow and Hinch.

There is an asterisk on the World Series and the current players accomplishment, whether BBREF puts one there or not.

fenwaysouth posted:

TPM & Chico,

So, I'm assuming the commish's message to all MLB GM's is you better know what is going on in your dugout.  Ignorance is not bliss.   If there is something going on, you better do something about it.   While he did not implicate him directly he certainly held him accountable.

I know I understand, but I have my opinion. 

I believe what he said, but I agree that he deserved to be fired.

Waiting to see what Cora's fate is, HE really should be given a lifetime suspension.

JMO

Went home for lunch and briefly listened to some Will Cain.  ..heard some interesting, albeit slanted, takes on one aspect of the effect of the cheating via an interview with Plaschke.

His viewpoint was that without the cheating, the Dodgers would have won that series in six.  What was interesting is his further delving into the impact...  Some examples - Yu Darvish was basically run out of LA after failing in the series after having been very successful otherwise during the season.  Kershaw's image/reputation as having failed on the big stage may have been reversed with success in that series.  Dave Roberts would be seen in an entirely different light with a WS title under his belt.  The Dodgers' overall fortunes, player and personnel salary and opportunities likely affected long term as Series Champs always carries considerable resume weight as well as the direct compensation, etc., etc.  As he was talking through it, there was almost a "Back to the Future" feel.

One could certainly carry this argument further downstream.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Jeff Passan on ESPN.com (I want to read Manfred’s report For myself; haven’t done so yet):

information in Manfred's report that "at least two emails sent to Luhnow" informed him of replay-review room sign decoding, about which he did nothing.

Maybe Luhnow never read the emails, or didn’t take them seriously. But this is not a great look.

Whole article is an interesting read: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story...stealing-punishments 

Interesting.  Who sends an email to someone when the implications are huge?  

I am gonna use a phrase that you have all heard.

The fish stinks from the head down.

Sounds like Crane wasn't in the dark either, and MLB gave in to him and the other owners. 

JMO.

I am kinda done with this. It's just such a shame.

K9 posted:

This is just getting started.

Logan Morrison: “I know from first hand accounts that the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros and Red Sox all have used film to pick signs”.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sp...4rmdf4mfe-story.html

Bingo.  There may be a lot of clubs looking for new GMs and Managers, and a lot of clubs getting draft picks that would have gone to other teams.   Detroit, Miami and Baltimore may be able to pull themselves out of the MLB dumpster by getting more talented draft picks thanks to the greed of these other teams.  Just a thought.

fenwaysouth posted:
K9 posted:

Logan Morrison: “I know from first hand accounts that the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros and Red Sox all have used film to pick signs”.

Bingo.  There may be a lot of clubs looking for new GMs and Managers, and a lot of clubs getting draft picks that would have gone to other teams.   Detroit, Miami and Baltimore may be able to pull themselves out of the MLB dumpster by getting more talented draft picks thanks to the greed of these other teams.  Just a thought.

My guess is that the Astros will be the only team that will be punished. 

ReluctantO'sFan posted:

Don't worry, the O's will more likely blow that chance as well. Story of my life  At least I can say I don't ride band-wagons, lol

Given Baltimore's recent history in managing the team draft choices and trades, as an O's fan I'm not all that optimistic.   But after last season there's no where to go but up (I hope!).

K9 posted:

I think most teams "cheat" to some extent.  Astros were just stupid and out of control.  Manfred made an example out of them.  I don't think MLB will push too hard on the other clubs, with the exception of the Red Sox.

K9 posted:

Should be interesting... we seem to have reached a very pivotal point.  A player specifically calls out several offenders (can you say "Jose Canseco"?).  Will baseball act and investigate, which would open a huge can (excuse the pun)?   Or will they just draw the line in the sand and say "no more - you're all on notice"?

cabbagedad posted:
K9 posted:

Should be interesting... we seem to have reached a very pivotal point.  A player specifically calls out several offenders (can you say "Jose Canseco"?).  Will baseball act and investigate, which would open a huge can (excuse the pun)?   Or will they just draw the line in the sand and say "no more - you're all on notice"?

MLB mirrors much of what we see and hear everyday. People cheat. They cheat for all different reasons, in this case, it's  about being #1, which brings rewards, fame and fortune.  Sorry, there is a lot more to life than being #1, and you can be successful without cheating.

Sit down with your kids and have the talk. It's important.  We need to change the narrative. You have to get up each day and look yourself in the mirror and ask, how can I make a  positive difference to others.

Last edited by TPM
FoxDad posted:
ReluctantO'sFan posted:

Don't worry, the O's will more likely blow that chance as well. Story of my life  At least I can say I don't ride band-wagons, lol

Given Baltimore's recent history in managing the team draft choices and trades, as an O's fan I'm not all that optimistic.   But after last season there's no where to go but up (I hope!).

I would hope UP is the only place left to go, lol, but I have learned to keep my expectations low over the years. Stings a little less that way! 

If any team really needed a camera system set-up with a stupid trash-can banger it was the O's. Probably wouldn't of matter anyway, overpaid 1st baseman couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat

HSHULER that's nuts.  I can't seem to find anywhere what the buzzer did.  Were they pushing it for certain pitches?  Was it a microphone? Man, this is going to get MUCH worse before it blows over.  Vacating the championships has to be coming next. Now we will see the Gibbons, Matheny Showalter and the like get jobs again. I hope our kids learn something from it one way or another.  Work so hard and then have something like this derail your career.....

1st thought:  

2nd: The fact no one mentioned these charges during the recent investigation (assuming they did not do so) makes me skeptical.  This seems calculated to stir the pot, not to lead to any resolution.  

3rd: But the Altuve shirt-ripping thing is kind of odd...

4th: Can there be any doubt that it's time for MLB to move to encrypted communications links between players and the dugout?  No usable system of relaying signs in the old way is going to be secure given 2020 technology. 

Kimb27 posted:

HSHULER that's nuts.  I can't seem to find anywhere what the buzzer did.  Were they pushing it for certain pitches?  Was it a microphone? Man, this is going to get MUCH worse before it blows over.  Vacating the championships has to be coming next. Now we will see the Gibbons, Matheny Showalter and the like get jobs again. I hope our kids learn something from it one way or another.  Work so hard and then have something like this derail your career.....

Not sure of the details but you I’m sure there’s more to come. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Sta.../1217905115362930700

hshuler posted:
Kimb27 posted:

Wow....   Altuve does seem really, ummm, interested in taking care of that jersey.

A prosecutor in a criminal case would start offering plea bargains to try to "flip" a witness. What happens if Manfred calls Hinch, Cora, Luhnow and Beltran and says "the first one of you to tell me the entire truth can avoid a lifetime ban"?  

Chico Escuela posted:
hshuler posted:
Kimb27 posted:

Wow....   Altuve does seem really, ummm, interested in taking care of that jersey.

A prosecutor in a criminal case would start offering plea bargains to try to "flip" a witness. What happens if Manfred calls Hinch, Cora, Luhnow and Beltran and says "the first one of you to tell me the entire truth can avoid a lifetime ban"?  

The owner of this twitter account says that she’s Beltran’s niece  The Beltran family has said that she isn’t a relative.

This person may not be Beltran’s niece but it’s ironic that they posted Beltran has steeped down last night but the announcement wasn’t made until today. My guess is that it’s a ghost account but the owner has an ax to grind. The most interesting comment is that they have locker room pics for a rainy day.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jom...556263940098/photo/2

K9 posted:

I'm not sure what MLB can do to discipline the players due to the Players Association.  Management has been made the scapegoats, and the players will be able to say that Hinch/Cora pressured them to it.

Maybe.  But Altuve is a former MVP, and Bregman, Springer and others weren't going to be benched without the matter attracting a lot of notice.  I wouldn't buy that they could be coerced into cheating. There is also the fact that the players may have lied to MLB's investigators--I thought they received immunity at least in part in exchange for providing information. I don't pretend to know the details of the union's contract, but if MLB can't discipline players in circumstances like those alleged here, then that's a critical problem.

IMO, wearable buzzers take the scandal to another level, because it requires a different degree of coordination among multiple people on and off the field. It also seems likely to be much more effective than trying to pick out the sound of a trash can banging in a crowded stadium.

Obviously we need more facts.  But just having these new allegations surface is bad. MLB will have to investigate and can't say "well, that's all behind us now." I assume people are already scrutinizing game films to look for Astros players suspiciously tugging at their collars. That footage of Altuve homering off Chapman does look awfully odd now.  

I am not defending the Astros players and maybe the claimed locker room photos will come out but this theory raises a couple of questions:

If you are going to blow this thing open by tweeting about it and claim to have addition proof....why not just blow it open with the proof right now?  If you have pics post 'em up.

Also, if he has to protect himself from teammates ripping his shirt off to hide the cheating device does that mean they don't know?

22and25 posted:

I am not defending the Astros players and maybe the claimed locker room photos will come out but this theory raises a couple of questions:

If you are going to blow this thing open by tweeting about it and claim to have addition proof....why not just blow it open with the proof right now?  If you have pics post 'em up.

Also, if he has to protect himself from teammates ripping his shirt off to hide the cheating device does that mean they don't know?

Fortunes are made tweeting, posting, alleging innuendo and unsubstantiated accusations.

Whatever is true or not no longer matters.  Astros and any position player on the 2017/18 roster have a red "C" stamped on their forehead.  It will be there for a lifetime.

If inside the game it was known that signs were being stolen and relayed in real time, why didn't teams change to a different sign system?  The yell out of apparently random numbers/color with a wristband a 12U softball team uses would suffice.

Go44dad posted:
22and25 posted:

Fortunes are made tweeting, posting, alleging innuendo and unsubstantiated accusations.

Whatever is true or not no longer matters.  Astros and any position player on the 2017/18 roster have a red "C" stamped on their forehead.  It will be there for a lifetime.

If inside the game it was known that signs were being stolen and relayed in real time, why didn't teams change to a different sign system?  The yell out of apparently random numbers/color with a wristband a 12U softball team uses would suffice.

I think it was reported that the Nationals went to extreme measures to protect their signs during the World Series. 

Go44dad posted:
22and25 posted:

The buzzer allegations, and Altuve video posted above are from the 2019 ALCS.  In game 2 of the series Corea hit a walk off bomb in the 11th.  After he crossed the plate another player ripped his jersey open and eventually off.  No wires or bulges seen under his compression layer.

https://youtu.be/2f7lmqAlht4

Kimb27 posted:

Vacating championships? That will happen right after all steroid era statistics are erased.

And one more thought.....if the buzzer was an escalation for 2019, over banging drums and then whistling, how would Beltran's niece know anything about it or have Astros locker room access.....he wasn't with the Astros in 2018 or 2019.  In fact, Beltran worked for the Yankees in 2018 and 2019 as a special advisor.  Did he advise the Yankees on the same things he taught the Astros?  

22and25 posted:

And one more thought.....if the buzzer was an escalation for 2019, over banging drums and then whistling, how would Beltran's niece know anything about it or have Astros locker room access.....he wasn't with the Astros in 2018 or 2019.  In fact, Beltran worked for the Yankees in 2018 and 2019 as a special advisor.  Did he advise the Yankees on the same things he taught the Astros?  

I don’t think anyone believes that it’s Beltran’s niece but it’s clearly someone with an axe to grind. 

This is interesting if you zoom in.

https://twitter.com/stephenjne...907336418877443?s=12

Go44dad posted:

Do you seriously think that with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, the best baseball players, coaches and analytics guys in the world didn't do whatever they workably could to protect their signs?  If it were as easy as a 12U softball game, would anybody be talking about this?

Clearly, I don’t have a dog in the fight but we talk all things baseball here and this will be a story for a while until the next big thing. 

As a fan of baseball, I like hearing the diverse opinions and perspectives from other baseball fans. Without fail, someone here gives me a perspective that I didn’t think about. 

Go44dad posted:
22and25 posted:

Stros are now marked as cheaters - agreed.  But to me it does matter if this (seemingly far fetched) buzzer allegation turns out to be true, because it shows a much more coordinated and advanced system of cheating?  And it impacts 2019 whereas the existing taint is to 2017-18?  It could all be BS, but this is a different level above and beyond banging on a trash can lol.  

Don't say red "C" because that is the Indians new logo on their hats that replaced Chief Wahoo!

Thinking about it now, maybe that is why Cleveland never wins anything - b/c they don't cheat??  Just a theory....

RJM posted:

It easy to photoshop pictures. 

Agreed but what interesting is I think “Beltran’s niece” said Altuve and Bregman wore devices on the right shoulder and this is something on the left shoulder...but ******* swings lefty. 

Again, lots of different opinions about all of this. I’ve gotten 100+ text messages from various people in my baseball circle so lots to digest. 

There’s another interesting story out there that I want to see if it has legs or not. It could be a big deal and it could be nothing but it’s interesting because I’m a fan of baseball. 

For the record, I’m a glass half full guy and tend the think the best of people and not the worst and I’ve made many mistakes in my life so I also tend to be a giver of second chances. 

Go44dad posted:

No explanation, my friend! 🤣

The Astros have admitted the crime and have received their punishment. I have talked to several people who say that certain folks should be banned for life. I’m not in the camp after thinking about it but I don’t think that everyone has to think like me. I can respect everyone’s opinion even when I don’t agree. 

Last edited by hshuler
hshuler posted:
Go44dad posted:

The Astros have admitted the crime and have received their punishment. I have talked to several people who say that certain folks should be banned for life. I’m not in the camp after thinking about it but I don’t think that everyone has to think like me. I can respect everyone’s opinion even when I don’t agree. 

At this time, they are banned for the rest of my life.  I'm looking for a new team.  Must be in Eastern time zone.  A 6:00 CST start sounds good.  Can't stay up past 9:00.  Can't do Yankees, Red Sox, Mets.  Tried the Phillies last year and just couldn't.  I'm thinking Jays, Rays or Braves.

Go44dad posted:
hshuler posted:
Go44dad posted:

At this time, they are banned for the rest of my life.  I'm looking for a new team.  Must be in Eastern time zone.  A 6:00 CST start sounds good.  Can't stay up past 9:00.  Can't do Yankees, Red Sox, Mets.  Tried the Phillies last year and just couldn't.  I'm thinking Jays, Rays or Braves.

We need more Braves fans because people aren’t happy about their lack of activity in free agency. 

Arenado would be huge but don’t think Braves will make it happen. My money is in the Cards. 

Last edited by hshuler
RossGA posted:

Definitely do NOT become a Braves fan, ownership only cares about cash, not competing for a championship.  Revenue = $ 450 million | Payroll = $ 130 million.  JOKE.  

Probably not Braves. I’m still a little sore about all the foot outside strike calls Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux got back in the ‘90’s. 

RossGA posted:

Definitely do NOT become a Braves fan, ownership only cares about cash, not competing for a championship.  Revenue = $ 450 million | Payroll = $ 130 million.  JOKE.  

A couple additions and they’d probably be legitimate contender.  There ownership will learn about Atlanta fans soon. 😂

Go44dad posted:
RossGA posted:

Probably not Braves. I’m still a little sore about all the foot outside strike calls Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux got back in the ‘90’s. 

Touché 

Go44dad posted:
hshuler posted:
Go44dad posted:

Orioles need some help

Texas1836 posted:
Go44dad posted:
hshuler posted:
Go44dad posted:

Orioles need some help

Yeah, Lots of help.   From the top down.

Chico Escuela posted:

If you like scrappy underdogs that survive and thrive among to big spenders in the AL East, I recommend the Rays.  (Although you have to get used to rooting for a lot of new guys every year, because the team can't afford to keep its stars.)  And the Trop isn't as bad as it's made out to be.  

Yup.  I'm a Red Sox fan by birth, so I'll never shake that, but really admire what the Rays do.

Go44dad posted:
hshuler posted:
Go44dad posted:

My local and national league team is the Nationals.   Been following them since they started when they were absolutely terrible, and watched them blossom last year.  Can't go wrong with the Nats!  Besides, the mascot is an American Eagle which is kind of cool.  

I really do prefer National League baseball over American League baseball.   In 2020, I will be watching and attending lots of Nats games because I will not be watching Red Sox games (or purchasing MLB package).  I've put the Red Sox in mental time out, and I will not be spending any money to attend or watch Red Sox games this year. 

It used to be that I thought the players and managers were the good guys and the GM and front office were a bunch of wankers.  That perspective is gone.   With this scandal, I think the commissioner has to do something with the players.   How is this different from players like Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson who had lifetime bans put on them for gambling or taking money to throw a game?   In my mind this level and degree of cheating is far worse than gambling because it involves the whole team, yet nothing is being done to the players.   If I was commissioner, the players, coach and any front office personnel would be banned from baseball for life.   Houston and other teams would be promoting a lot of AAA guys for the 2020 season. 

Sorry for the left turn onto Rant Avenue but this has really got me pissed off probably because my team is part of it. 

As always, JMO.       

Last edited by fenwaysouth
Chico Escuela posted:
fenwaysouth posted:

I really do prefer National League baseball over American League baseball.  ....

Many years ago, someone explained MLB to me this way:  "In the American League, they use a Designated Hitter; and in the National League, they play baseball."

Pitcher’s hitting are a nice comedy break, speeds things up a bit. 

I was born and raised as a O's fan (fortunately I'm old enough for that not to have been a horrible experience) but I've lived my adult life in NL markets (LA, SF, NY) so I follow and prefer NL baseball.  

True, pitchers hitting can be comic, except when they're not (for example Bumgarner), and sometimes you get to see something really, really special, as I did last season in my first game at Citi Field when Syndergaard shut out the Reds in  CG win, and drove in the only run of the game with a solo HR.

Last edited by JCG

So, regarding the "wearable devices" element to this story, specifically the video of Altuve covering his jersey as he crosses home plate, he put out this statement via his agent...

...and this is his statement: ‘I have never worn an electronic device in my performance as a major league player.’ … [Altuve] has never been involved in any information with the use of an electronic device that is triggered during the course of the game. Fans need to keep in mind that there are a lot of players who are in the spider web, but they are not the black widow just because they are a member of the team or the league.

What I found to be missing in this statement is any denial of involvement in the bigger picture of the scandal.  Sure seems to me, if you are going to make a point to publicly clear yourself, you would do it all the way if innocent of any wrongdoing.  Unfortunately, my A + B = C logic tells me he was definitely involved in benefiting from the "trash can" version.  One of my favorites.  Dammit.

cabbagedad posted:

So, regarding the "wearable devices" element to this story, specifically the video of Altuve covering his jersey as he crosses home plate, he put out this statement via his agent...

...and this is his statement: ‘I have never worn an electronic device in my performance as a major league player.’ … [Altuve] has never been involved in any information with the use of an electronic device that is triggered during the course of the game. Fans need to keep in mind that there are a lot of players who are in the spider web, but they are not the black widow just because they are a member of the team or the league.

What I found to be missing in this statement is any denial of involvement in the bigger picture of the scandal.  Sure seems to me, if you are going to make a point to publicly clear yourself, you would do it all the way if innocent of any wrongdoing.  Unfortunately, my A + B = C logic tells me he was definitely involved in benefiting from the "trash can" version.  One of my favorites.  Dammit.

Hence my search for a new team.

Am I correct in recalling that Boras previously denied that Altuve participated in the trash can banging scheme?  I could swear I read a statement earlier, before the penalties were announced, but I can't find it today.  The latest Altuve denial is worded very carefully so as not to deny the prior cheating.

Yes, the latest controversy is only rumor and speculation at this point.  But I remind folks that there were published rumors at least as early as 2018 that the Astros were using trash cans to signal pitches in 2017 ("Two major league players said they have witnessed the Astros hitting a trash can in the dugout in recent years and believe it is a way to relay signals to hitters." -- from Oct 2018, https://sports.yahoo.com/sourc...ation-032027336.html  ) I'm not saying the current rumors are true, just that recent history suggests 1) that they can't be completely discounted (and denials by the alleged participants mean little or nothing given their track records); and 2) MLB may not act unless someone makes a non-anonymous public statement a la Mike Fiers.

--------

Edited to fix the link--autocorrect inserted an emoji.  Sorry

Last edited by Chico Escuela

I think we are going to be seeing more of this kind of report...  This one hit ESPN.com a few minutes ago:

"Jack McDowell says Tony La Russa had sign-stealing system with White Sox in '80s"

"Former Cy Young Award winner Jack McDowell on Friday accused Hall of Fame manager Tony La Russa of having a camera-aided sign-stealing system installed when he was with the Chicago White Sox in the late 1980s."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story...system-white-sox-80s

fenwaysouth posted:
Go44dad posted:
hshuler posted:
Go44dad posted:

My local and national league team is the Nationals.   Been following them since they started when they were absolutely terrible, and watched them blossom last year.  Can't go wrong with the Nats!  Besides, the mascot is an American Eagle which is kind of cool.  

I really do prefer National League baseball over American League baseball.   In 2020, I will be watching and attending lots of Nats games because I will not be watching Red Sox games (or purchasing MLB package).  I've put the Red Sox in mental time out, and I will not be spending any money to attend or watch Red Sox games this year. 

It used to be that I thought the players and managers were the good guys and the GM and front office were a bunch of wankers.  That perspective is gone.   With this scandal, I think the commissioner has to do something with the players.   How is this different from players like Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson who had lifetime bans put on them for gambling or taking money to throw a game?   In my mind this level and degree of cheating is far worse than gambling because it involves the whole team, yet nothing is being done to the players.   If I was commissioner, the players, coach and any front office personnel would be banned from baseball for life.   Houston and other teams would be promoting a lot of AAA guys for the 2020 season. 

Sorry for the left turn onto Rant Avenue but this has really got me pissed off probably because my team is part of it. 

As always, JMO.       

Nfenwaysouth posted:
Go44dad posted:
hshuler posted:
Go44dad posted:

As always, JMO.       

I agree with all of the above except the ban for life. The players should be suspended, for at least a year. There’s no worse pain than not playing the game you love. And they need to feel that pain. They hurt other younger players coming up. Those young guys are being inadvertently punished. There will be 4 less guys that will get the chance to play pro ball. The wrong guys are being targeted. This hurts.

RoadRunner posted:
fenwaysouth posted:
Go44dad posted:
hshuler posted:
Go44dad posted:

As always, JMO.       

Nfenwaysouth posted:
Go44dad posted:
hshuler posted:
Go44dad posted:

As always, JMO.       

I agree with all of the above except the ban for life. The players should be suspended, for at least a year. There’s no worse pain than not playing the game you love. And they need to feel that pain. They hurt other younger players coming up. Those young guys are being inadvertently punished. There will be 4 less guys that will get the chance to play pro ball. The wrong guys are being targeted. This hurts.

I actually agree with your last statement to a degree, although all of the players who project to be drafted top 2 rounds will still be drafted, just by other teams. 

cabbagedad posted:

And if you are a hitter for the Astros, how exactly would you claim/be innocent?  Buzzer=private. Loud noises not so much. So what do you do as a player?  How do you ignore that?  I say it’s impossible. And I was huge Altuve fan (for personal reasons you can likely guess). This has made it harder for some to climb the ladder. 

collegebaseballrecruitingguide posted:
RoadRunner posted:

I actually agree with your last statement to a degree, although all of the players who project to be drafted top 2 rounds will still be drafted, just by other teams. 

Of course. But what about the 4 that get no chance?  Some here may say/think the last last 4 don’t really have a ”chance”. I guess that depends how you define chance. Maybe some guys need/want the experience. Maybe they want to build their resume, to coach, college or otherwise. Maybe those 4 unimportant players want to stay in the game, whatever it takes, at whatever level, doing whatever job they are qualified for. 

Guys I know who were drafted in the last couple rounds in my experience are typically great players who are going to top D1 programs and told teams that they were not going to sign, or relatives of MLB executives or coaches, who have no real chance at a professional career and were drafted as favors. Happens every year.

Four less. 

Is it just me, or has everyone else had it “up to here” with cheating and cheaters? If it’s not people buying their ways into schools or on to rosters, it’s players/teams cheating at a systemic rate. It’s trash cans, video cameras, perhaps buzzers and PEDs. 

I for one and sick of this crap and would like to see teams receive an ultimatum. If the team is caught cheating to win games, the organization will not be scheduled to play in the following season. THE ENTIRE SEASON. Impacts the owners, impacts the players who are part of the cheating, and impacts those who do not cheat. Hopefully the pressure on the cheaters on the club from the non-cheaters to not mess with their livelihoods would have an impact. A full year of team revenue would certainly catch their attention.

just sick of this...

Is it just me, or has everyone else had it “up to here” with cheating and cheaters? If it’s not people buying their ways into schools or on to rosters, it’s players/teams cheating at a systemic rate. It’s trash cans, video cameras, perhaps buzzers and PEDs. 

I for one and sick of this crap and would like to see teams receive an ultimatum. If the team is caught cheating to win games, the organization will not be scheduled to play in the following season. THE ENTIRE SEASON. Impacts the owners, impacts the players who are part of the cheating, and impacts those who do not cheat. Hopefully the pressure on the cheaters on the club from the non-cheaters to not mess with their livelihoods would have an impact. A full year of team revenue would certainly catch their attention.

just sick of this...

Do you think it would help if the commissioner’s office would clearly outline what the punishment is for every major infraction?

Coppolella got a lifetime ban for multiple violations in the international market but many feel like the Astros scandal was worse. 

My thought is if you state what the penalty would be for every major infraction, that may make folks think twice about cheating. I know that everything isn’t black and white but drug violations have set penalties. 

Last edited by hshuler

HShuler, it would be a start. I am just at the point now, with a D1 baseball player in my household, that I have reached the end of my rope with the cheating. My son plays clean, trains clean and works hard to do things the right way. If by doing that we are now less likely to move on in baseball, so be it. But what kind of message is baseball, both MLB commissioner’s office and players who cheat, sending the next generations of baseball players if there is no accountability for cheaters in the game? Are we simply going to rely on baseball writers not putting these guys into Cooperstown as their only punishment? 

We aren’t being strong enough on PED use. Get caught once, lifetime ban. Period. Sounds draconian but that will stop it. Violate league rules in order to gain a competitive advantage? One year suspension for the entire organization. That will fix that behavior. Create a new way to cheat that gets caught? Commissioner decides punishment and it gets written into league rules from that point forward.

I’m waiting for these type of scandals to work their way into college baseball...because the college game, with its big salaries for top team coaches and the TV revenue will undoubtedly end up corrupting the college game too. This needs to stop!

I’m waiting for these type of scandals to work their way into college baseball...because the college game, with its big salaries for top team coaches and the TV revenue will undoubtedly end up corrupting the college game too. This needs to stop!

CBRG - I had the exact same thought yesterday as I was driving 2.5 hours...what impact could this have on college baseball?  Sign stealing has been in baseball a long time.  I'm talking about a few guys in the dugout trying to crack the other teams signs through human "mental horsepower", NOT cameras in centerfield or buzzers on their chest.  My son, along with a couple other pitchers were those guys in the dugout trying to break the other teams code.   He was very good at it.   Honestly, I think it is a way for a player to stay in the game when he's not in the lineup.   In my mind, there is a clear delineation of what is acceptable (using your eyes and mind) versus unacceptable (cameras, algorithms and computers) in stealing signs.  

I love college baseball, and I'd hate to see it ruined by the professional game.   The NCAA would be well served by observing how MLB handles this, then adding some well written guidelines to their rules.     

As always, JMO.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the NCAA cleaned up college baseball years ago, in more ways than one.  But, I can't speak for other NCAA sports.  There are rules and you can find them on NCAA.com, as well as some conferences have their own expectations.

A huge part of the  HC's job of each program  is to set and preach goals and expectations of the  individual as well as the team. Remember, their primary job is to help the players to become responsible adults and citizens as well as making sure they graduate, on time, not churn out future pro players.  There are exceptions to this philosophy.

Stealing signs is part of the game, and more than likely will remain so. For really good coaches, it's not hard to crack the code.  

Players are  drug tested when they come into the program and at times during the season, and during regionals. You also can't play if you don't make the academic requirements.

That's why I am an advocate of the college experience. Values and priorities are different than professional baseball.

JMO

Could go back to the days of old where the batter would request a pitch in a certain location and not have to worry about sign stealing...

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/10-bi...lls-past/c-124363454

It ain't cheatin' 'til ya get caught. Every one of those players will not only live with the cheating stigma, but they'll also have targets because for those that (claim that they) didn't cheat - retribution is testosterone's answer to losing out on the possibility of big Benjamin's.  Whether it's a HBP, a hard slide, or something else - do the umpires or MLB look the other way when it does happen. I would think Darvish wants to bury a FB in some ribs right about now...

FoxDad posted:
Texas1836 posted:
Go44dad posted:
hshuler posted:
Go44dad posted:

Orioles need some help

Yeah, Lots of help.   From the top down.

Breaking news! According to internet sources, O's implicated on sign stealing!!!

However no penalty is being handed out. Management drafted an illiterate camera operator due to having 20/15 vision when being scouted  

ps - that was just a joke and I was just bored, lol

Go44dad posted:

I wonder how many years will go by before an Astros position player will be voted into the All-Star game?

However many years it takes to get rid of the current cheaters. I’d vote for any deserving Astro that was not on 2017-2019 rosters. Some of those players have moved on. No matter what team they’re on, they don’t deserve All-Star status.  It’s not all about the Astros. It’s about the cheating. 

Last edited by RoadRunner

Am I the only one who finds the Red Sox decision to hire Roenicke as (interim) manager really strange?  I know he's z well-respected baseball guy (but so were Cora, Hinch and Beltran).  And I know nothing about the man's character.  BUT, wasn't he bench coach under Cora in 2018 when the Sox allegedly cheated? 

OK, MLB hasn't issued any findings about 2018 yet; but unless Manfred tipped off Red Sox management, I would think they have to act on the assumption some kind of punishment is coming soon.  And if that happens, Roenicke almost certainly would be tainted (whether or not he were punished).  Why not pick someone from outside the organization?

The rumors are the penalties on the Sox will be light. It’s turning out Cora wasn’t the brains behind the Astro’s cheating. So ...

1) Hiring Roenicke maintains some sense of continuity heading into the season. He’s only the interim manager. It allows ...

2) Bloom to take his time finding a manager that fits for his direction, or ...

3) Cora is back next year after a suspension. 

RJM posted:

The rumors are the penalties on the Sox will be light. It’s turning out Cora wasn’t the brains behind the Astro’s cheating. So ...

1) Hiring Roenicke maintains some sense of continuity heading into the season. He’s only the interim manager. It allows ...

Cora's not coming back to the Sox.  Rosenthal/Drelich published another article in the Athletic today. While pointing the biggest finger at Beltran, Cora and Astros front office get pointed at also.  As far as brains, no argument on Beltran and Cora lacking, based on their actions.  Here are a few excerpts.

...In that context, Beltrán, along with former bench coach Alex Cora, became a driving force behind the trash-can banging system that marked a culmination of the Astros’ use of electronics to steal signs illegally.

“What happened was Cora and Beltrán decided that this video room stuff Koch-Weser was doing (with Codebreaker) was just not working, inefficient, too slow,” a person with direct knowledge of the investigation said. “They just had some lower-level guy put up this monitor and did it themselves.”

RJM posted:

Unless it turns out the Sox did very little cheating (which is possible), then Roenicke seems like damaged goods to me.  He may not have participated in the cheating, but he presumably would have known it was happening--and did nothing.  That might not warrant discipline in a world where players who actively participate get zero punishment; but Roenicke wouldn't be kicked upstairs in the wake of a cheating scandal?  That would be hard to stomach.

The more I think about it, the more I think Manfred has let the Sox know they are at least mostly in the clear.  I can't imagine Boston would want to run the risk that a few weeks after naming Roenicke they would have to fire him.  (And if the team faces any kind of serious sanctions, then I still say promoting Roenicke to manager would be a terrible symbol for MLB.)

Chico Escuela posted:
RJM posted:

Unless it turns out the Sox did very little cheating (which is possible), then Roenicke seems like damaged goods to me.  He may not have participated in the cheating, but he presumably would have known it was happening--and did nothing.  That might not warrant discipline in a world where players who actively participate get zero punishment; but Roenicke wouldn't be kicked upstairs in the wake of a cheating scandal?  That would be hard to stomach.

The more I think about it, the more I think Manfred has let the Sox know they are at least mostly in the clear.  I can't imagine Boston would want to run the risk that afew weeks after naming Roenicke they would have to fire him.  (And if the team faces any kind of serious sanctions, then I still say promoting Roenicke to manager would be a terrible symbol for MLB.)

Roenicke will not be the manager next year. He’s been officially named as an interim. It would be hard at this point for Bloom to find the candidates he really wants. An interim manager buys him a year. Plus, the team isn’t having a stranger thrown at them the week spring training starts.

RJM posted:
Chico Escuela posted:
RJM posted:

Roenicke will not be the manager next year. He’s been officially named as an interim. It would be hard at this point for Bloom to find the candidates he really wants. An interim manager buys him a year. Plus, the team isn’t having a stranger thrown at them the week spring training starts.

I admit I'm surprised you don't see troubled by this, RJM.  I think I recall you mentioning a few weeks ago that you thought Roenicke was a good candidate to replace Cora (?).  I can understand that you might like Roenicke as a coach.  But if we assume the Red Sox are about to be penalized for using electronic means to steal signs, how can they promote the guy who was bench coach while those infractions were going on?  I'm not suggesting Roenicke ought to be forever banned from managing again (though depending on what the facts show, I'm not saying he shouldn't either).  But he shouldn't manage in Boston in the same year they are (presumably) going to face sanctions for violations that seem to have happened right in front of Roenicke in the 2018 Sox dugout.

As for getting a new manager right before spring training:  The Astros were in the same boat--one of the after effects of cheating.  For the Red Sox to complain that they don't want the disruption of an outside manager hired in February is a bit like the proverbial defendant who murdered both his parents then asked the court for mercy because he was an orphan.

This topic doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. I'm surprised how many players are speaking out. Even MLB golden boy Mike Trout gave his opinion! Seems that the comments recently made by the Astro's just made thing worse.

Got me wondering ??? 2020 might set the record for the most pitchers getting ejected. One piece of advise for the Astro's, don't dig in. I'm not a fortuneteller, but I can predict a lot of "it just slipped" pitches being thrown. 

Reluctant, totally agree!  And Correa's comments about not wanting to talk about it anymore just made me fume.  You don't get to decide when to stop talking about being a cheater! And I think it's going to get ugly early in the season.  Manfred needs to strap on some balls and punish the players. Otherwise, there's no real incentive to not cheat. Ugh, not really teaching the young fans how to play the game the right way.

I do not advocate pitchers intentionally trying to hit fellow players with 95+ mph projectiles that are capable of causing death or serious injury.  But...  it is going to be a little hard to swallow when (as seems inevitable) someone gets suspended for hitting a member of the Astros 2017 roster with a pitch, since that Astros player will incur no penalties of any kind for his role in the sign stealing scheme.  Manfred is in a no-win situation here.

fenwaysouth posted:

CBRG - I had the exact same thought yesterday as I was driving 2.5 hours...what impact could this have on college baseball?  Sign stealing has been in baseball a long time.  I'm talking about a few guys in the dugout trying to crack the other teams signs through human "mental horsepower", NOT cameras in centerfield or buzzers on their chest.  My son, along with a couple other pitchers were those guys in the dugout trying to break the other teams code.   He was very good at it.   Honestly, I think it is a way for a player to stay in the game when he's not in the lineup.   In my mind, there is a clear delineation of what is acceptable (using your eyes and mind) versus unacceptable (cameras, algorithms and computers) in stealing signs.  

I love college baseball, and I'd hate to see it ruined by the professional game.   The NCAA would be well served by observing how MLB handles this, then adding some well written guidelines to their rules.     

As always, JMO.

It’s already having an effect. Pitchers and catchers with wristbands. Coach feeding signs. I hate it. 

Chico Escuela posted:

I do not advocate pitchers intentionally trying to hit fellow players with 95+ mph projectiles that are capable of causing death or serious injury.  But...  it is going to be a little hard to swallow when (as seems inevitable) someone gets suspended for hitting a member of the Astros 2017 roster with a pitch, since that Astros player will incur no penalties of any kind for his role in the sign stealing scheme.  Manfred is in a no-win situation here.

Manfred created this situation 😡

Kimb27 posted:

Reluctant, totally agree!  And Correa's comments about not wanting to talk about it anymore just made me fume.  You don't get to decide when to stop talking about being a cheater! And I think it's going to get ugly early in the season.  Manfred needs to strap on some balls and punish the players. Otherwise, there's no real incentive to not cheat. Ugh, not really teaching the young fans how to play the game the right way.

Manfred can’t punish the players. He gave them immunity to talk. If he goes back on his word he loses credibility with the MLBPA.

This deal keeps getting bigger. The outrage is universal in the sport of baseball. I just had a text conversation with a college teammate who is now an MLB scout w/ the Diamondbacks. But in 2017 he was an Astros scout and was one of 6 scouts that got fired right before the World Series so the Astros wouldn’t have to buy rings for them. His comment about all this was, “Its like Christmas. This couldn’t happen to a bunch of worse people.”  Karma is a real thing. 

adbono posted:

This deal keeps getting bigger. The outrage is universal in the sport of baseball. I just had a text conversation with a college teammate who is now an MLB scout w/ the Diamondbacks. But in 2017 he was an Astros scout and was one of 6 scouts that got fired right before the World Series so the Astros wouldn’t have to buy rings for them. His comment about all this was, “Its like Christmas. This couldn’t happen to a bunch of worse people.”  Karma is a real thing. 

It's gotten bigger than baseball.  LeBron just tweeted his opinion of this ("...if someone cheated me out of winning the title and I found out about it I would be F*^king irate!...")

Manfred created this.  He should have never given immunity to players who admit cheating.  He's got to find a way to make this right or he's got to go.  I don't see how baseball moves forward to opening day with this hanging over it.

2022NYC - Seems to be the case.  MLBPA said that no player would cooperate with the investigation unless all players received immunity, according to Manfred.  The job of the PA is to protect and support ML players (not sure if it is also supposed to protect MiLB players) so they were doing what they are supposed to do.  However, protecting current players can be detrimental to the game of baseball and to future ML players.  Yes, the PA can damage the game and may have done so in this instance.

Guys on the radio this morning pointed out that players who say that Astros cheaters should have been punished need to talk to their union.  Union is the reason they are not being punished.  Who or what does the union represent?

2022NYC posted:

The most surprising revelation for me was that Manfred's player immunity deal was moot because of the current CBA, the players could not be prosceuted/persecuted for the cheating. It was on MLBN, is that really true?

I wondered the same thing. Not to put too much stock in the labor law musings of baseball guys, but on MLB radio the past couple of days they have insisted that the current collective bargaining agreement would have made it almost impossible for MLB to win a grievance filed by a player who was disciplined for the sign-stealing scandal. 

Supposedly the players didn't get notice of the Commissioner's ultimatum after the Red Sox were fined in 2017.  It may be that the CBA specifies notice procedures and those weren't followed.  But is it plausible to think any MLB player actually was unaware of the policy?  Strange, too, to see the union taking a position that many (most?) of its members object to.  (Although it the CBA would have prohibited punishment, then MLBPA couldn't have taken any other position.)

The players' reactions also makes it harder for me to believe the "everybody was doing it" rationalization.  If Trout, Bellinger, et al. were also engaged in prohibited forms of sign-stealing, even if on some smaller scale than Houston, they'd be fools to keep the issue alive and to risk that someone would blow the whistle on them.

If it is the case that Manfred had his hands tied and could not punish the players with or without granting immunity, the best thing he can do is go public with this and lay out the situation in its entirety.  At least this way he'll get some sympathy from the public and the outrage will turn to the PA.  I don't see how he survives otherwise.

My take is that MLB went for the "truth" over "punishment" with the players.  Would probably not get the info without the immunity.

To further Fenway's point.  College baseball is heading into the "data" era with most big programs already hiring Director of Player Development positions.  These hires  will be using the likes of Trackman, Kvest, Rapsodo etc.  to improve their players.  Keep in mind that certain data needs video of the AB during games.      

NCAA rules should be written sooner than later.

Well this is disappointing:

David Ortiz says Astros whistleblower Mike Fiers looks like ‘a snitch’

https://www.washingtonpost.com...s-looks-like-snitch/

Ortiz's comments are more nuanced than the headline suggests.  But he and Pedro Martinez both criticize Fiers in the article.  I don't think that's a good look for them.  When Fiers released his story, he didn't have a deal for immunity or special treatment so far as I have heard.  Seems to me he took a greater risk than any other member of the 2017 Astros.

Jody Mac said that Fiers was not saying anything until the Astros used the cheating system against him when he was on the mound in an Astros / A's game last year.  According to Jody, Fiers heard the trash cans and got pretty mad.  He decided then to out them since they had the bad form to use it against a WS teammate.   

Maybe this snippet has been out there, but Jody just talked about this in the context of Ortiz' criticism.

Fiers is no humanitarian. But when he spoke up in the Athletic, he (based on what I have read) had no way to know if he would be punished, if he would be believed, or how his fellow players on and off the Astros would react. I’m not nominating him for a Nobel Peace Prize, but IMO he looks pretty good in comparison with the folks who said nothing, as well as those preaching omertà in the clubhouse and saying he is a snitch.

And even by the “sanctity of the clubhouse” standard, was he supposed to let the Astros hose his current team?

Dominik85 posted:

Astros PR department hit another home run. The security personnel confiscates opposing fan banners mocking the sign stealing scandal. 

It is probably their right to do that but this set up the pun of astros stealing signs from fans meaning they got dunked on all day on the internet last night.

Who cares what is said on social media! I laugh when I see “Twitter reacted to (pick a situation).” A majority of Twitter posters are morons.

Last edited by RJM
@K9 posted:

Remember when sign stealing was the biggest thing that we had to worry about?

https://www.barstoolsports.com...anfred-covered-it-up

Looks like the Yankees are trying to prevent the disclosure of a 2017 Manfred letter related to cheating.  Some believe that it will show that the Yankees did more than the Apple Watch stuff that they got a slap on the wrist for. 

You won't hear much about it. The righteous and ethical "ban them for life and take back the championship" mob's fingers are still sore from their invective filled rants directed at Houston. The Astros were crucified for all the leagues sign stealing sins (at least from 2017-2019). No need to sully the gloriousness of the Yankees. 

"..you guys are behind the times lol!" Carlos Beltran upon arriving in the Astros clubhouse, after three seasons with the Yankees.

1) Everything I read says the letter in question deals with conduct prior to the time when Manfred laid down the law and said future violators would face more serious penalties.  (The end of the 2017 season, if I recall correctly.)  So teams that were sanctioned prior to the time the Commissioner announced that penalties would be heavier received lighter penalties than those who broke the rules after his announcement?  That's literally the definition of what Manfred said. 

2)  If the agreement the Yankees reached with the league included keeping details confidential (which is a provision lawyers routinely seek as part of settlements), then yeah, I'd expect the team to fight to protect that agreement. Trying to hang onto to the deal you negotiated with the league isn't nefarious at all.

1) Everything I read says the letter in question deals with conduct prior to the time when Manfred laid down the law and said future violators would face more serious penalties.  (The end of the 2017 season, if I recall correctly.)  So teams that were sanctioned prior to the time the Commissioner announced that penalties would be heavier received lighter penalties than those who broke the rules after his announcement?  That's literally the definition of what Manfred said. 

2)  If the agreement the Yankees reached with the league included keeping details confidential (which is a provision lawyers routinely seek as part of settlements), then yeah, I'd expect the team to fight to protect that agreement. Trying to hang onto to the deal you negotiated with the league isn't nefarious at all.

You're right.  However if Spygate and Deflategate have taught us anything it is that people ignore nuance, aren't interested in the truth if it takes more than 10 seconds to discern, and gravitate to the salaciousness of the story.  And they love schadenfreude. 

I can’t condone throwing behind a batter’s head. And Kelly making faces was stupid. But I can’t see giving him an 8-game suspension. Especially since that is 8 games more than any Astros player will serve for the biggest cheating scandal in a century.

I don’t want to see anybody put in the hospital. But I will shed zero tears for any Astros player who wears a fastball in the back or backside this summer. 

@Dominik85 posted:

... other teams cheated too ...

Since Manfred handed down the edict that any future instances of electronic/video cheating would get harsh penalties, two teams have been busted:  Houston and Boston.  The rest is just rumors.  

If Kelly had kept his cool on the mound, he'd have skated.  He wasn't thrown out of the game, and he has a reputation for being wild anyway.  I think the Astros players would be a lot more worried if they were getting plunked suspiciously often, but no one could prove anything--that could get into a team's head.     

If Kelly had kept his cool on the mound, he'd have skated.  He wasn't thrown out of the game, and he has a reputation for being wild anyway.  I think the Astros players would be a lot more worried if they were getting plunked suspiciously often, but no one could prove anything--that could get into a team's head.     

Well that’s no fun😂 And besides, I think it’s already in their head.
There’s no way he should be suspended for 8 games. He wasn’t even tossed. I don’t condone head hunting. Glad no one was injured.  Maybe Kelly’s accuracy is better than we think, lol. Throwing behind the head is ugly but better than inside near the head. Stay away from the head. Allow players to police themselves, since no one else is. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.