Skip to main content

PER 57:

“So now my wife is being told to go to work even if she has had contact with infected people, and to wear a Bandana if the masks are gone. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. “

So 57, based on your profile, you are in MN.  MN has 91 cases as of today per JH map. Certainly not all of them are hospitalized. Why be an alarmist? Acting in this way is simply not helpful. It’s difficult enough to get people to realize the ramifications of what IS actually happening. No one needs false truths right now. Several days ago you made similar comments about your local hospital already being overwhelmed.  How many cases or hospitalizations due to corona did MN have when you made that comment?  

RoadRunner posted:
2True posted:
Eokerholm posted:

To help exemplify the situation, watch a few simulations and understand how the vector works, and if the vector doesn't show symptoms, it can't be identified, treated, or quarantined to protect the rest of the population. Transmission skyrockets. Self quarantine works, shuts this down, stops the spread. 

All this takes is everyone to hit the pause button and it stops in MUCH LESS TIME than it will if you don't. This would have been resolved in a matter of weeks with systemic and mandatory self quarantines. Now it will unfortunately take longer as people travel, and go about this without care or caution. 

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but..... we can't actually stop the spread at this point can we? Isn't it too late for that? 

If it were localized to a few small areas in the country then maybe we could stop it. But there are documented cases in every state now and more everyday. You could say it's already metastasized if you will.

If it were less contagious maybe we could stop it.

And maybe we could stop it if it wasn't possible to be asymptomatic and contagious. Or possible to be mildly symptomatic and contagious. Or maybe if that time frame  were shorter.

Given these conditions, wouldn't we need to follow extremely stringent quarantine rules? Much more stringent than what they're currently recommending?  Is it realistic to think that you can get enough people to comply for long enough?  Or even get enough people to fully comply at all?

Seems like all we can do is slow spread? I'm not suggesting that we should just resume life as normal. I'm perfectly willing  to make sacrifices for the common good. I just like to understand whats happening that's all. 

Slowing the spread is the goal at this juncture. We only have so many hospital beds, ventilators, Drs and nurses. Even if you don’t care about contracting the virus, if our hospitals are overloaded, YOU might die from something else, like an MI, MVA, CVA, etc. Hospitals have limited resources, even without coronavirus. 

Thanks all who responded. I had in fact read the articles on flattening the curve and slowing the spread prior to posting that comment. I was just politely wondering why Eokerholm repeatedly referred to stopping the spread when it seems that's no longer possible. Sorry, Eokerholm, really not trying to pick on you at all!! But why say stop when stop isn't an option? 

There's a lot of misinformation, misleading info, contradicting information and missing information. I only skimmed the article that D-Mac posted but I certainly agree with parts and am frustrated by the lack of info. I understand that some info is unobtainable at this point for various reasons (lack of tests etc). But seems some could or should be more clear.

For the record, I have left my home once in 3 days except to go for walks in the woods and have followed the current social distancing rules. I'm willing to continue to follow them even if we are simply following them because they seem like the best course of action at this point given the current data. Would like to see some of the blanks filled in though.

RoadRunner posted:

PER 57:

“So now my wife is being told to go to work even if she has had contact with infected people, and to wear a Bandana if the masks are gone. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. “

So 57, based on your profile, you are in MN.  MN has 91 cases as of today per JH map. Certainly not all of them are hospitalized. Why be an alarmist? Acting in this way is simply not helpful. It’s difficult enough to get people to realize the ramifications of what IS actually happening. No one needs false truths right now. Several days ago you made similar comments about your local hospital already being overwhelmed.  How many cases or hospitalizations due to corona did MN have when you made that comment?  

Click image for larger version.  Name: tp.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 45.2 KB  ID: 7111993

atlnon posted:
Senna posted:
d-mac posted:

Here is a pretty fair opinion piece from a Stanford professor. 

https://www.statnews.com/2020/...thout-reliable-data/

And a direct followup.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/...ly-against-covid-19/

I enjoyed these 2 articles a lot, and wished there are more conversations like these happening as opposed to the hyper-politicized and rhetoric-filled shouting happening right now.

Completely agree

RoadRunner posted:

PER 57:

It's not how many people are in the hospital, but how many people are in the ER at one time.

Per57, my daughter's very close friend is an ER nurse in one of our largest hospitals in our county.  They ran out of hazmat suits and she was wearing the same mask as the day before.  They ran out of influenza kits as well because protocol is that test first if positive you have the flu, if not go home and quarantine yourself for 2 weeks.

You are correct about the bandanas and our hospitals in my county are overwhelmed.

RoadRunner posted:

2True,

I believe Eokerholm was using the terms stop and slow as synonyms. I could be wrong, maybe he will speak to that. ☮️

I think you're most likely right. But wasn't sure. They are quite different in this case. Some of us literal people need concise wording in our scientific information to avoid confusion  

TPM posted:
RoadRunner posted:

PER 57:

It's not how many people are in the hospital, but how many people are in the ER at one time.

Per57, my daughter's very close friend is an ER nurse in one of our largest hospitals in our county.  They ran out of hazmat suits and she was wearing the same mask as the day before.  They ran out of influenza kits as well because protocol is that test first if positive you have the flu, if not go home and quarantine yourself for 2 weeks.

You are correct about the bandanas and our hospitals in my county are overwhelmed.

My point is, 91 coronavirus patients in MN is not overwhelming the Healthcare system. I’m sure things are getting dicey in areas where there are abundant corona patients. People should not be panicked and go to the emergency room. No alarmist behavior!  

Edit to add:  rushing to the ER for non acute flu like symptoms is just as stupid as crowding beaches. What are people thinking?  

Last edited by RoadRunner

9500 is not overwhelming at all.  But it was 1500 just one week ago, and at the current rate of growth will be something like 50,000 next Thursday, and 200,000 the Thursday after that, and so on, unless the drastic lifestyle changes most of us are going through have a good effect.

Ok, enough with the quote of a quote of a quote. These are getting long.

Stop and slow. Sorry I’m at my ranch in Fredericksburg working. Neighbors have 100s of acres. The spread will NOT reach us.   See I’m quarantined in a ranch where it will not spread to me or my family.

We’re bunkered down with plenty of food, water, toilet paper and supplies to last weeks, if not longer.

If I never leave, it will Not get here, it can’t. 

Not sure what makes it difficult. You can slow the spread with social distancing, but not stop it. Just makes it harder to get.

The only way to stop it is containment of those infected and quarantine of the sick and not sick apart. hard part is the asymptotic infected, but that’s been covered 20 times already. 

my wife, son and myself are hanging out With the dogs and getting $hit done on the ranch.

just heard our HS (Austin, TX) hopes to return to baseball May 4th. Well see if that holds....

i just want to be able to get to summer ball and back to normal. 

good luck y’all! 

Did it go up 8000 in one week because 8000 people got it from the 1500?  Or did it go up because they are doing many more tests than a week ago?  Answer is nobody knows. And the answer is very important because that gives the exponent needed to make calculations on the quickness of the spread of the virus.

We don’t know to make assumptions on how many will have it in a week/month etc.   

Go44dad posted:

Did it go up 8000 in one week because 8000 people got it from the 1500?  Or did it go up because they are doing many more tests than a week ago?  Answer is nobody knows. And the answer is very important because that gives the exponent needed to make calculations on the quickness of the spread of the virus.

Does it matter? All the other countries were in a similar state (except those that did massive testing from the beginning). If the other countries (like Italy) were in the same state, then we can assume we will follow the same curve that they had. 

baseballhs posted:

Still really crappy. Kids working hard for an opportunity that is now taken away for 3 more years. And walking into rosters with juniors who were sure things for the draft but are now playing another year.  They are making a bigger mess of all of this.  If they just move forward, it sucks but everyone lost one season.  What they are doing now messes up 3-4 seasons.

There’s going to be competition for your hs son regardless of the situation and lots of it. Rosters at the college level are highly competitive and fluid to say the least. And the ncaa is trying to do the right thing here. It’s tough all the way around. Think of the college jr that hoped to be drafted, the jc soph looking for a scholarship to D1 or to be drafted, etc, etc. It isn’t just about hs srs and their “odds stacked against them”. All angles have to be considered and it’s a very tough call. I applaud the ncaa in at least being swift and decisive so student athletes weren’t left in any more limbo than normal. Unprecedented for sure. Numbers will work through over the next couple classes.

Folks, I really cannot believe there are about four pages of coronavirus talk. I find it in very poor taste to bring it here. Save for a couple people, most are not even qualified to be discussing the topic and come off sounding incredibly annoying. If discussion relates to timetables of seasons, recruitment, etc, it’s one thing, but to speak one word about whether cancellations are warranted or whether the virus is world ending or this side of the common cold is complete bs in my opinion. I can get intelligent information a lot of places on that topic and here isn’t one of them. I come here for baseball and that’s what I should get here. If there still is a maddening desire, go start a new topic and debate it forever without me. Now....back to baseball please.

Bballsavante posted:

***   If discussion relates to timetables of seasons, recruitment, etc, it’s one thing, but to speak one word about whether cancellations are warranted or whether the virus is world ending or this side of the common cold is complete bs in my opinion. 

Agreed this has become a long thread.  But I think we're going to have a hard time talking about baseball "timetables of seasons, recruitment etc." right now without talking about the one factor driving every one of those things.  My family are stuck in the house, routines have been upended, I want to know what's going to happen and am seeking information (and, frankly, thinking too much about it all).  If you think sharing links to CDC publications and articles by Harvard and Stanford epidemiologists is "bs," you're entitled to your opinion.  The solution is simple--don't read the thread.  I disagree with many opinions expressed here, but I'm still glad to have the conversation.  (It's not as though I can go have a chat with folks at the office or after church these days...) 

Non-doctors give opinions in these forums all the time (properly caveated, IMO) about injuries, training and recovery.  I don't think it's correct that "cancelling the HS baseball season is/is not warranted given what I read in X" is off-topic.  But if you think it is, then I understand if you decide to un-follow the thread.

atlnon posted:
Go44dad posted:

Does it matter? All the other countries were in a similar state (except those that did massive testing from the beginning). If the other countries (like Italy) were in the same state, then we can assume we will follow the same curve that they had. 

It matters if you are a critical thinker. 

Like Mark Twain said, there are four kinds of lies. Lies, Damn Lies, Statistics and Charts made in Powerpoint. 

Chico Escuela posted:
Bballsavante posted:

***   If discussion relates to timetables of seasons, recruitment, etc, it’s one thing, but to speak one word about whether cancellations are warranted or whether the virus is world ending or this side of the common cold is complete bs in my opinion. 

Agreed this has become a long thread.  But I think we're going to have a hard time talking about baseball "timetables of seasons, recruitment etc." right now without talking about the one factor driving every one of those things.  My family are stuck in the house, routines have been upended, I want to know what's going to happen and am seeking information (and, frankly, thinking too much about it all).  If you think sharing links to CDC publications and articles by Harvard and Stanford epidemiologists is "bs," you're entitled to your opinion.  The solution is simple--don't read the thread.  I disagree with many opinions expressed here, but I'm still glad to have the conversation.  (It's not as though I can go have a chat with folks at the office or after church these days...) 

Non-doctors give opinions in these forums all the time (properly caveated, IMO) about injuries, training and recovery.  I don't think it's correct that "cancelling the HS baseball season is/is not warranted given what I read in X" is off-topic.  But if you think it is, then I understand if you decide to un-follow the thread.

Again, the original thread title is 2020 hs baseball season. Not 2020 coronavirus ad nauseum. You can’t turn on the tv, radio, newspaper, twitter, etc without it slamming you in the mouth. Quite frankly, I’m sick (no pun) of hearing about it. This forum is for baseball talk and this thread is specifically for how to maneuver through the challenges of a shortned season or no season at all. Answering questions, giving each other advice, etc, sharing experiences with how you are seeing things handled in recruitment in lieu of this, summer ball, workout tips, etc. But droning on for pages nonstop about the virus has no relevance to the discussion and adds nothing here. It drives people away. I find it incredibly hard to believe most of you would rather talk about the virus nonstop and ignore the thread topic then to have the handful of “virus resident self experts” set up an off topic thread where they can give baseball back to the rest of us. That or just rename the thread to corona 2020 and start a new 2020 hs baseball thread because this is ridiculous.

Bballsavante posted:
Chico Escuela posted:
Bballsavante posted:

Again, the original thread title is 2020 hs baseball season. Not 2020 coronavirus ad nauseum. You can’t turn on the tv, radio, newspaper, twitter, etc without it slamming you in the mouth. Quite frankly, I’m sick (no pun) of hearing about it. This forum is for baseball talk and this thread is specifically for how to maneuver through the challenges of a shortned season or no season at all. Answering questions, giving each other advice, etc, sharing experiences with how you are seeing things handled in recruitment in lieu of this, summer ball, workout tips, etc. But droning on for pages nonstop about the virus has no relevance to the discussion and adds nothing here. It drives people away. I find it incredibly hard to believe most of you would rather talk about the virus nonstop and ignore the thread topic then to have the handful of “virus resident self experts” set up an off topic thread where they can give baseball back to the rest of us. That or just rename the thread to corona 2020 and start a new 2020 hs baseball thread because this is ridiculous.

You have done enough droning on too. If you don’t like the thread don’t read it. There are a lot of threads on here that I don’t like and I find annoying. As soon as I realize it’s one of those I don’t read it. Threads take a left turn all the time. That’s just the way it goes. Bitching about doesn’t accomplish anything. 

Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

Still really crappy. Kids working hard for an opportunity that is now taken away for 3 more years. And walking into rosters with juniors who were sure things for the draft but are now playing another year.  They are making a bigger mess of all of this.  If they just move forward, it sucks but everyone lost one season.  What they are doing now messes up 3-4 seasons.

There’s going to be competition for your hs son regardless of the situation and lots of it. Rosters at the college level are highly competitive and fluid to say the least. And the ncaa is trying to do the right thing here. It’s tough all the way around. Think of the college jr that hoped to be drafted, the jc soph looking for a scholarship to D1 or to be drafted, etc, etc. It isn’t just about hs srs and their “odds stacked against them”. All angles have to be considered and it’s a very tough call. I applaud the ncaa in at least being swift and decisive so student athletes weren’t left in any more limbo than normal. Unprecedented for sure. Numbers will work through over the next couple classes.

I agree it’s hard for seniors in Hs and college. The rest of the crew in college got a pretty decent deal.  Those college jrs have been scouted for years. If they were going to be drafted, they still will (if there is a draft), if not, they get another year and STILL have negotiating power.  The seniors get to redo their year.  The only ones who really get nothing more than walking into a mess are hs kids.  They didn’t get scouted much for the draft, they don’t get to redo the season, they just get to be underdogs for 4 years.  It is what it is, but I think college jrs are sitting pretty. Actually so are freshmen and sophomore they will all have 2 draft eligible years that have negotiating power.

Last edited by baseballhs

Heard from our HS coach that Texas is hoping to restart the Season May 4th.  Let's hope that is the case.  I think I saw a tweet that UIL said they also wants to crown a state champion in each division. That is just stupid, but I guess it's the "Try Trophy" Generation. 

We'd just be happy to have games to play. No need for State of District Champs this year. Please don't mess with summer ball. That's more important to recruiting than HS every was (unless you're drafting, which isn't going to happen for the vast majority/entirety of high school. 

baseballhs posted:
Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

The seniors get to redo their year.  The only ones who really get nothing more than walking into a mess are hs kids.  They didn’t get scouted much for the draft, they don’t get to redo the season, they just get to be underdogs for 4 years.  It is what it is, but I think college jrs are sitting pretty. Actually so are freshmen and sophomore they will all have 2 draft elegance years that have negotiating power.

I think all of us are going to think that our kid has it worst and people at other levels are basically okay. Yes, my son (a sophomore at a P5) has an extra year of eligibility, but we got an email earlier this week from the school saying they are trying to figure out scholarships. It's not like that's a huge amount of money, but it certainly will be something many of us will continue when making decisions.

Incoming college freshmen are underdogs no matter what the situation. They're going to have to battle for everything they get and now juniors and seniors who stick around for an extra year are going to have a crop of incoming freshmen to battle for spots they thought they had earned.

Truth is, this isn't good for anyone. We also need to see if from more than our own perspective, although certainly we look mostly closely on the impact on our own kid.

I figured out you can block certain people so I’ll go that route as a solution instead. This way their posts are invisible. Kind of like their baseball content in this thread. What a relief. The nerve in asking me to start a new thread for baseball talk since this has been hijacked by a select few. What is wrong with some people? Seriously.

As far as a hs sr goes, if you feel they will be so far behind college players now and are worried about draft position, I’m not sure what I’m missing. First off, if your son is good enough to be drafted then he’ll be good enough to get on the field in college so the draft would be the least of my worries. And you have to understand that scouts are looking for upside and stretch skills so if ability is there it will be found from hs to d3, jc to ends of the earth. If you want wider options, go jc. I will also caution you that in this day and age, players get hurt, burn out, homesick, get cut, fill in the blank at record levels. Turnover in college baseball is higher than any other sport. Roster churn is real. And only 9% of college players get drafted over their careers. Not sure the numbers but it would be extremely low to stick in the majors or any high minor league level. And minor leagues are being cut as we speak. Your son getting positioned for a degree is the most important and highly overlooked factor in all of this. I realize many of you started lessons at 5, coached Johnny thru travel ball and now he is mowing down everyone and everything at your local hs and luxury showcase wooden bat event. But the real world is coming soon. This can be a great thing but please put it all in perspective and do everything in your power to let your son take it from here. And just enjoy the ride. It’s really out of your hands now dad....

It’s more about conversation. I think my kid will be fine, he’s a top 100 player. His options however, are definitely different due to this. I’m speaking as a whole.  We have a lot of friends with hs seniors obviously and I think they and the 2021s and 2022 get the brunt.  As I said, it is what it is.  I know if I had a college freshman-junior, I would see how this could be good.  Frustrating but not really losing much.

Bballsavante posted:

I figured out you can block certain people so I’ll go that route as a solution instead. This way their posts are invisible. Kind of like their baseball content in this thread. What a relief. The nerve in asking me to start a new thread for baseball talk since this has been hijacked by a select few. What is wrong with some people? Seriously.

As far as a hs sr goes, if you feel they will be so far behind college players now and are worried about draft position, I’m not sure what I’m missing. First off, if your son is good enough to be drafted then he’ll be good enough to get on the field in college so the draft would be the least of my worries. And you have to understand that scouts are looking for upside and stretch skills so if ability is there it will be found from hs to d3, jc to ends of the earth. If you want wider options, go jc. I will also caution you that in this day and age, players get hurt, burn out, homesick, get cut, fill in the blank at record levels. Turnover in college baseball is higher than any other sport. Roster churn is real. And only 9% of college players get drafted over their careers. Not sure the numbers but it would be extremely low to stick in the majors or any high minor league level. And minor leagues are being cut as we speak. Your son getting positioned for a degree is the most important and highly overlooked factor in all of this. I realize many of you started lessons at 5, coached Johnny thru travel ball and now he is mowing down everyone and everything at your local hs and luxury showcase wooden bat event. But the real world is coming soon. This can be a great thing but please put it all in perspective and do everything in your power to let your son take it from here. And just enjoy the ride. It’s really out of your hands now dad....

You are relatively new to this site. One thing you might want to do is read the profiles of members you are talking to before you take a condescending position. There are a lot of people on this site that know a lot.  

baseballhs posted:
Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

I agree it’s hard for seniors in Hs and college. The rest of the crew in college got a pretty decent deal.  Those college jrs have been scouted for years. If they were going to be drafted, they still will (if there is a draft), if not, they get another year and STILL have negotiating power.  The seniors get to redo their year.  The only ones who really get nothing more than walking into a mess are hs kids.  They didn’t get scouted much for the draft, they don’t get to redo the season, they just get to be underdogs for 4 years.  It is what it is, but I think college jrs are sitting pretty. Actually so are freshmen and sophomore they will all have 2 draft elegance years that have negotiating power.

I could be wrong but have a feeling that only college seniors are going to get an extra year of eligibility. I believe that NCAA DII committee has already announced it. 

Regarding the draft, I’m hearing that it’s going to happen and “if” anything changes, they may cut the number of rounds in half. 

Also, hearing that the PGs, PBRs, Program 15s of the world are jockeying to create some sort of pre-draft combine for top prospects. Now, unless the virus is contained over the next month or so it’s a moot point if scouts aren’t allowed back on the road. So, like everything else, it’s wait and see. 

Attachments

Images (1)
  • mceclip0

Don't count on any extra years.  The man, Tim Corbin, just vaguely came out against giving anyone an extra year so that could change everything.  He says there is not enough money, room on rosters, and so on to give everyone an extra year.  He was being interviewed and gave a lot of reasons why he does not think it should or will happen.  That may change everything if baseball coaches start saying they do not want it. 

Bballsavante posted:

That makes almost 400 words in three different posts complaining that people are posting stuff you think is off-topic.  Skimming this thread for the posts you want to read will take you less time than you already spent kvetching.  And many of those folks you are threatening to block are good sources of baseball info. But you do you, man.

adbono posted:

You have done enough droning on too. If you don’t like the thread don’t read it. There are a lot of threads on here that I don’t like and I find annoying. As soon as I realize it’s one of those I don’t read it. Threads take a left turn all the time. That’s just the way it goes. Bitching about doesn’t accomplish anything. 

Agree 100%. 

Look everyone is worrying about their kids. Mine is a coach and I worry about him as well.

For those that are very worried about what will happen with their player, whether they are a 2020 HS senior, freshman, sophmore, junior or senior in college this is an unprecedented event, so really no one knows the final outcome. And that goes for all sports.  

I can tell you  my hunch is that possibly there are many people working on possible solutions depending upon the outcome . We all have to be patient and use our best judgement in protecting our family and ourselves. 

With that said, it's ok to talk about whatever you want here, any topic.

I am actually happy that folks have a place to come vent, and for our newcomers, it has  always been that way.

russinfortworth posted:
Go44dad posted:

Moved up to #4 in state rankings. I think we can hold this spot awhile. 

We are #2 (5A).  Son has friends at CC Vet. Memorial.  He told them "meet 1/2 way this summer?", and told me "if we are consensus #2, shouldn't we get a ring if we don't play another game", plus "an undefeated season"...............

Nobody gets a ring for a ranking in March. And IMO you shouldn’t get one for a 2nd place finish either. Unfortunately the chances that any HS team in Texas plays another game this year are slim and none. 

baseballhs posted:

It’s more about conversation. I think my kid will be fine, he’s a top 100 player. His options however, are definitely different due to this. I’m speaking as a whole.  We have a lot of friends with hs seniors obviously and I think they and the 2021s and 2022 get the brunt.  As I said, it is what it is.  I know if I had a college freshman-junior, I would see how this could be good.  Frustrating but not really losing much.

Rankings are great until hs kids show up on campus. At that point, no one cares. Aluminum bats don’t care, college hitters certainly don’t care and college coaches absolutely don’t care. In this day and age, a startling number of kids are going down to injury in their first yr or two in college due to tons of reasons that have been discussed repeatedly in the media. But bodies will be transformed significantly while in college and learning how to really pitch will also happen. I’ve seen countless pitchers that left hs that couldn’t be touched, ranked high and all that nonsense and didn’t last a minute in college. Some work ethic, big man on campus issues, grades, injuries, ineffective, couldn’t throw strikes, johnny fastball (all d1 hitters hit johnny’s fastball), and many more. I’ve also seen unranked kids walk on to D1 and be drafted. So rankings mean next to nothing in baseball unless it’s a college ranking. HS rankings are nearly worthless imo based on the transformation that happens, coaching, competition, etc

Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

Rankings are great until hs kids show up on campus. At that point, no one cares. Aluminum bats don’t care, college hitters certainly don’t care and college coaches absolutely don’t care. In this day and age, a startling number of kids are going down to injury in their first yr or two in college due to tons of reasons that have been discussed repeatedly in the media. But bodies will be transformed significantly while in college and learning how to really pitch will also happen. I’ve seen countless pitchers that left hs that couldn’t be touched, ranked high and all that nonsense and didn’t last a minute in college. Some work ethic, big man on campus issues, grades, injuries, ineffective, couldn’t throw strikes, johnny fastball (all d1 hitters hit johnny’s fastball), and many more. I’ve also seen unranked kids walk on to D1 and be drafted. So rankings mean next to nothing in baseball unless it’s a college ranking. HS rankings are nearly worthless imo based on the transformation that happens, coaching, competition, etc

This goes right along with the football “stars don’t matter” argument. Sure, a lot of things can happen where a highly ranked kid won’t work out. BUT, those kids are much more likely to succeed than the unranked kid. 

Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

Thanks for clearing that up.  He’s never worked a day in his life and we were pretty sure he was gonna walk in and announce his presence. Crap.  New game plan.

I think they were talking HS rankings earlier (might have been a different thread) vs Individual rankings.  HS rankings mean nothing. Individual rankings help you get noticed, recruited, etc. But as soon as they get on campus, wipes the slate. They have to work, earn, sweat, grind, and learn, like everyone. The coaches are going to play the best kids to get a win, that scholarship guy, that 0% guy, and/or the walk on. (paraphrased, but directly from UNC's coach Scott Forbes)

Last edited by Eokerholm
baseballhs posted:
Bballsavante posted:
baseballhs posted:

Thanks for clearing that up.  He’s never worked a day in his life and we were pretty sure he was gonna walk in and announce his presence. Crap.  New game plan.

You can joke and not take this seriously, but my son went in as a pretty low level, late recruited kid in a class with some very highly rated guys who couldn't decide if they would go with the draft or college. A year later they're not drafted or at their original school. They really didn't understand how hard they would have to work. Entirely possibly your son gets it, but I do think it's really important to emphasize.

PitchingFan posted:

Don't count on any extra years.  The man, Tim Corbin, just vaguely came out against giving anyone an extra year so that could change everything.  He says there is not enough money, room on rosters, and so on to give everyone an extra year.  He was being interviewed and gave a lot of reasons why he does not think it should or will happen.  That may change everything if baseball coaches start saying they do not want it. 

I didn't see or read the interview but you can bet that HC phones haven't stopped ringing since last week.  There are very rich programs out there that can afford to expand rosters, most can't.

However, probably they are waiting to see what happens with the ML draft.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.